Speak Easy

Three Eleven.
$ayzak
Taiyed Brodel

Speak Easy

Post by $ayzak »

A speakeasy was an establishment that was used for selling and drinking alcoholic beverages during the period of United States history known as Prohibition, when selling or buying alcohol was illegal. The term comes from a patron's manner of ordering alcohol without raising suspicion — a bartender would tell a patron to be quiet and "speak easy".

The origin of the word predates Prohibition by at least 30 years. Samuel Hudson, a newspaperman in the late 19th century, said he heard the term used in Pittsburgh in the 1880s by an old Irish woman who sold liquor without a license. She told her clients to "speak easy" if they wanted to buy some. The Cassell Dictionary of Slang lists the word as coming into usage around 1890. The term spake-aisy was used even a century before this, where it referred to smugglers' hideouts.

One former speakeasy still exists in New York city, Chumley's at 86 Bedford Street. It remains authentically decorated and there are no signs on the door to indicate that inside lies a bar and restaurant. There is even a secret back door leading out to a passageway on to Barrow Street so that customers could make a quick exit when the police called!

Speakeasies became more popular and numerous as the Prohibition years progressed, as well as more commonly operated by those with connections to organized crime. Although police and United States Federal Government agents would raid such establishments and arrest the owners and patrons, the business of running speakeasies was so lucrative that such establishments continued to flourish throughout the nation. In major cities, speakeasies could often be elaborate, offering food, live bands, and floor shows. Police corruption at this time was notoriously rampant; police were commonly bribed by speakeasy operators to either leave them alone or at least give them advance notice of any planned raid.

Another slang term similar to a speakeasy is "blind pig". The difference between a speakeasy and a blind pig is that a speakeasy was usually a higher class establishment, where a blind pig was a lower class dive.

Some discreet venues called smoke-easies have popped up in states such as New York, California, and Massachusetts where smoking tobacco in bars and clubs is prohibited.
$ayzak
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $ayzak »

$5 says 311 is going on a break so Nick gets treatment.
TaiyedBorders
Taiyed Brodel

Post by TaiyedBorders »

I dont think he is THAT overboard on the alcohol. Is he?
JuicyJ
Taiyed Brodel

Post by JuicyJ »

He already stated that the song isn't about the whole drinking thing....he said its about speaking your mind and just letting all your emotions out or something of that nature
$ayzak
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $ayzak »

He's been drunk on loveline, he was drunk playing first straw on Kimmel, he's drinking alcohol in almost EVERY candid photo of him in the last 4 years, he made one, possibly two songs about drinking establishments on DTOM. Who knows.
TaiyedBorders
Taiyed Brodel

Post by TaiyedBorders »

And it seems he is either drunk or high in every interview.
CollapsingVisionary
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CollapsingVisionary »

:roll:

...who cares if he needs treatment? and if he does, why make fun of it zack? :wink:
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of a martyr
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die"
Freezetime311
You make up ridiculous words

Post by Freezetime311 »

Im not good a noticing these things, but some one said that in Austin he looked ripped on stage. can you all tell if he has been drinking a lot during a show?
flyersfan900
Taiyed Brodel

Post by flyersfan900 »

Freezetime311 wrote:Im not good a noticing these things, but some one said that in Austin he looked ripped on stage. can you all tell if he has been drinking a lot during a show?
I'm pretty sure he was drunk two years ago at VA Beach, however he seemed fine this year. It's pretty easy to tell if you are actually there.
FreeRayLiotta
Taiyed Brodel

Post by FreeRayLiotta »

maybe he'll get drunk, go into the hotel bar, start taking shots and smashing shot glasses....
Rock for Light
311Baybee
Taiyed Brodel

Post by 311Baybee »

i think you have too much time on your hands matt
:evil5: :smurfin: er.
KyleRayner wrote:bad things in moderation are very very good
$nipe
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $nipe »

antidisestablishmentarianism :P
Image :evil5:
$ayzak
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $ayzak »

311Baybee wrote:i think you have too much time on your hands matt
lol why, it doesn't take that long to read the article...
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Shiny »

I think she meant that you took the time to find an article on the definition and history of the word Speakeasy in order to find something against Nick lolerwhatever
$ayzak
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $ayzak »

I discovered this information randomly from a Nick interview and decided to google it because Nick, while stoned out of his mind making everyone around him laugh, mentioned what the common perception fo a speakeasy was. So I was like "I want to know more about this."

It didn't take much time to find it, copy and paste it. Grand total of 8 seconds maybe? Is that... too much time Ally? Hmm? Well I think you have too much height on your head and too much bustiness in your shirt. I lied about the last part.
CatCity
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CatCity »

sayzak ur pissin me off these days
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

sayzak you are too rediculous
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
BigEyedPhish311
Living is a journey

Post by BigEyedPhish311 »