Should 311 on their next album....

Three Eleven.
FrixHex311
Taiyed Brodel

Should 311 on their next album....

Post by FrixHex311 »

go back to smokin a lot of bud and takin shrooms to re-create their creativeness?
3/9/02, 9/4/02, 7/21/03, 8/27/03
8/7/05, 9/11/05, 3/11/06, 9/3/06
7/4/07, 7/5/07, 3/11/08, 7/24/08
5/12/09, 12/5/09, 3/11/10, 7/13/12
7/29/14, 8/2/15, 8/5/16
311 The best no CONTEST!
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

no
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
kdub
Sometimes jacks rule the realm

Post by kdub »

no, they just need to play around in the studio and when they go on tour a try to find some riffs that are just different. They dont need drugs, they already know how to be creative, i just think with Don't Tread on Me they tried to rush too fast
3/14/04, 9/10/05, 9/3/06, 7/4/07, 7/5/07, 7/14/07
Alexnova
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Alexnova »

They need to improv and jam, like what Nick was talking about on 311day
:evil5:
CatCity
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CatCity »

yeah and be dependent on drugs, yes let drugs write their music, and then maybe they can become burnouts
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

No, because then there will be more fans like you.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
FrixHex311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by FrixHex311 »

Nate wrote:No, because then there will be more fans like you.
whats that mean dick face?
im a fan just like you, what makes you think your better?

most of 311's best work has come from when they were experimenting like during the 311 blue, transistor and soundsytem era
3/9/02, 9/4/02, 7/21/03, 8/27/03
8/7/05, 9/11/05, 3/11/06, 9/3/06
7/4/07, 7/5/07, 3/11/08, 7/24/08
5/12/09, 12/5/09, 3/11/10, 7/13/12
7/29/14, 8/2/15, 8/5/16
311 The best no CONTEST!
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Jorge »

FrixHex311 wrote:

most of 311's best work has come from when they were experimenting like during the 311 blue, transistor and soundsytem era
Self-titles doesn't seem to fit with Transistor and Soundsystem nor was it 311's best work. It's fun, and it rocks, but it's hardly their best. I would throw Self-titled with the end Music and Grassroots era, anyway.

311's best work doesn't involve songs about love.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

FrixHex311 wrote:

I agree, however, I don't think they need to do more drugs to continue experimenting. What was experimenting for them back then may not be experimenting for them anymore. I think they need to release something experimental given their own standards. Something maybe with less production quality and more jamming, all that shit the true fans want. Release it on a separate label or something if they have to.

They're caught in this commercial grind, stuck between successful old band and washed-up in the public's eyes. They care almost too much about what people think, and their label seems to be pushing them towards shitty younger demographics who don't get it anymore. I feel like 311 is having this weird like band-mid-life-crisis or something. They need to grow up and stay true to their fanbase, because if they don't they won't turn into one of those great bands that always has this cult following. They'll turn into a band who tried to hard to stay commerical too late in the game, until they alienated all their old true-to-the-bone fans.
I think their next album will be the one that really will be a true indication, and picture of where they are going to go as a band, and as individual artists. I just hope it's something that will knock my socks off.

They need to focus on themselves, and write something that comes from the heart, and really shows their full musical talent, and cut it out with this save-the-whales, pepsi generation bullshit.

Later
ImageImage
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

FrixHex311 wrote:

hey hey hey, come on now guys,

nate i like you and all, but frix is a fellow unc fan, i cant have you two be hatin on each other
:evil5: TB>BB
311junkee
Taiyed Brodel

Post by 311junkee »

Jordan311 wrote:
FrixHex311 wrote:

I agree, however, I don't think they need to do more drugs to continue experimenting. What was experimenting for them back then may not be experimenting for them anymore. I think they need to release something experimental given their own standards. Something maybe with less production quality and more jamming, all that shit the true fans want. Release it on a separate label or something if they have to.

They're caught in this commercial grind, stuck between successful old band and washed-up in the public's eyes. They care almost too much about what people think, and their label seems to be pushing them towards shitty younger demographics who don't get it anymore. I feel like 311 is having this weird like band-mid-life-crisis or something. They need to grow up and stay true to their fanbase, because if they don't they won't turn into one of those great bands that always has this cult following. They'll turn into a band who tried to hard to stay commerical too late in the game, until they alienated all their old true-to-the-bone fans.
I think their next album will be the one that really will be a true indication, and picture of where they are going to go as a band, and as individual artists. I just hope it's something that will knock my socks off.

They need to focus on themselves, and write something that comes from the heart, and really shows their full musical talent, and cut it out with this save-the-whales, pepsi generation bullshit.

Later
very well put

ditchin their label i think would give them a better sense of freedom and hopefully influence some better and funkier music
Jump up and down cuz that's the 311 style!
311junkee
Taiyed Brodel

Post by 311junkee »

oh yea...i almost forgot

i think 311's most creative and complex riffs were influenced heavily by experimenting with drugs

the blue album, transistor, and grassroots have some of the greatest little riffs that just blow my mind
Jump up and down cuz that's the 311 style!
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

311junkee wrote:
Jordan311 wrote:
FrixHex311 wrote: whats that mean dick face?

Later
very well put

ditchin their label i think would give them a better sense of freedom and hopefully influence some better and funkier music
when is their contract up? i doubt they could just "ditch" their label. They probably have obligations to meet.
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

311 are just not hungry enough to "ditch" the label and do their own thing. I think a lot of it has to do with their age and complacency.

A band who is doing it right is RX Bandits.

Read this interview. The leader singer is amazing.

http://www.rx-bandits.com/learn/intervi ... 20307.html
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
EvenField2BeOn
Shades of gold displayed naturally

Post by EvenField2BeOn »

They are too old for the psychedelics it will make them forget their lyrics lol, although no one can deny that mushrooms and pot were in a big part of 311 during music and grassroots, 311 and of course their trippiest album Transistor then after all those drugs they were depressed on Soundsystem. Singing about not being able to sleep etc, it sounds like they went cold turkey after Transistor.

Three eleven has always associated themselves with Pot with Songs like Hydroponic, and mushrooms on Loco, and their Bad Brains Cover. Everybody in high school would watch ETSD1 and watch Tim get stoned while piercing himself. I mean you are never going to get rid of that association and their is really nothing wrong with it, albeit they are a reggae band, what do you think Jamaica is about anyway?

I think people get pisssed about the "
They are told old for the psychedelics it will make them forget their lyrics lol, although no can deny that mushrooms and pot were in a big part of 311 during music and grassroots, and I could see chemicals being an influencing on Transistor.

Three eleven has always associated themselves with Pot with Songs like Hydroponic, and mushrooms on Loco, and their Bad Brains Cover. Everybody in high school would watch ETSD1 and watch Tim get stoned while piercing himself. I mean you are never going to get rid of that association and their is really nothing wrong with it, albeit they are a reggae band, what do you think Jamaica is about anyway?

I think people get pisssed about the stoned fans who dont know anything because they work at taco bell and go to concerts to get massively drugged first and then the music comes second. Frequently when you talk to these fans they always mention their favorite song being "Who's Got the Herb" etc and then you think to yourself this guy is a moron. Then you find out they have 311 tattos but dont even own or know about any songs beyond "Down" and a had full of others.. :roll:
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Element »

FrixHex311 wrote:

Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

I don't see them ever "ditching" their label.
I could potentially see some side projects on indie labels. Nowadays with the internet and whatnot the indie scene is just getting more and more robust.
I wouldn't be surprised even if we saw Nick eventually go on to pursue other larger causes, maybe some sort of political activism or something, (maybe he'll run for mayor someday) and eventually see the rest of the band do other musical projects.

Later
ImageImage
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

Nate wrote:311 are just not hungry enough to "ditch" the label and do their own thing. I think a lot of it has to do with their age and complacency.

A band who is doing it right is RX Bandits.

Read this interview. The leader singer is amazing.

http://www.rx-bandits.com/learn/intervi ... 20307.html
i love you, do you love me?

rx is my second fav band of all time right below 311. THEY EVEN BEAT OUT SUBLIME

1) 311
2) rx bandits
3) sublime
4) pink floyd
5) common rider / deftones / the clash / descendents / blink 182
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
Alexnova
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Alexnova »

Ican't wait for the Nick Hexum solo album with Kelly Clarkson as a guest star.
poolio
Taiyed Brodel

Post by poolio »

after don't tread on me, I stopped listening to them completely. It wasn't a conscious decision, I just started getting into musicians who actually cared more about artistic integrity and less about commercial success. I come to taiyedbrodels.com and 311.com less and less since don't tread on me and I used to think I was a huge fan. They have been my favorite band for ten years now and I just don't think I care enough anymore. I am going to check back once and a while to see if a new album is in the works but until then, they won't be the first (or 2nd or 3rd or etc) band on my mind.
I really wonder if they realize that the same mtv teeny boppers now listen to them along with good charlotte, simple plan, etc. I always thought their music transcended that scene. Apparently not.