stop talking about 311 singles

Three Eleven.
JonnyG24
I spend my time healing and mending

Post by JonnyG24 »

OK,...How old are you first of all? You look like your about 16 or 17. I'm 25 ok. I started listening to 311 in '94 when I was 14 years old. This was just before the blue album came out. Anyone who jumped on the bandwagon after Down came out could have been considered a poser back then. You are a way too young to be calling anyone a poser unless you rocked out to 311 when you were 8 years old. So don't knock on people who are curious about the next single. It is becuase of singles like Down and All Mixed Up that you even know of 311.
6/9/96
11/12/97
3/24/00
11/20/00
4/10/02
8/8/03
12/7/03
7/15/04
8/12/05
3/8/06
8/1/06
6/29/07
3/1/08
7/2/14

CatCity
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CatCity »

i started listening in 96 and it wasnt a single that got me, brother played cds for me.

and im not talkin bout old singles damn it!!!! im talkin bout them now there is no reason for them, think bout it
JonnyG24
I spend my time healing and mending

Post by JonnyG24 »

How did your brother here of them....hmm probably singles. So maybe there is a 14 year old out there who hasn't heard of 311 and will get hooked on them by listening to Don't Tread on Me or Frolic Room. Then he will discover all the other 311 goodness. So yes I would like to know what the next single is. First becuase it represents the band, and second, I have XM, and I like hearing 311 on Ethel. I would like to know what song I will be hearing in the near future.
Last edited by JonnyG24 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6/9/96
11/12/97
3/24/00
11/20/00
4/10/02
8/8/03
12/7/03
7/15/04
8/12/05
3/8/06
8/1/06
6/29/07
3/1/08
7/2/14

CatCity
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CatCity »

and actually i did rock out to 311 when i was 8
kdub
Sometimes jacks rule the realm

Post by kdub »

singles are fine to me, they arent my favorite but hey its where people get started listening to them. then again if u just like amber or love song, who gives a fuck, are those people regular on BBs for 311?
so bring on the next single, since it wont be Solar Flare or IGON or TAAE or W and W, i prolly wont listen to it that much just like Amber, etc etc
3/14/04, 9/10/05, 9/3/06, 7/4/07, 7/5/07, 7/14/07
wbrycew
Taiyed Brodel

Re: stop talking about 311 singles

Post by wbrycew »

Samsupnthismothafuka wrote:did u fucking read anything i just said
Yup, sure did. I also offered a succinct rebuttal :). You're saying that any new fans that come off of new singles will be teenyboppers (or whatever you think). Hogwash.

You know who else had the same opinion as you?

The people that listened to 311 back when Music came out. That's not you, that's not me, that's not most 311 fans.

But now you're a hardcore fan and you could care less what those really old school fans think about your arrival. They thought the same thing about you that you're thinking about new fans. It's nonsense.

I didn't really get into 311 because of a single per se, I got into them because friends let me borrow cds. But, I'm not an idiot, I can still admit that if it wasn't for Down, they wouldn't have given me the cds to borrow in the first place. I wouldn't be a fan today if it wasn't for Down (and All Mixed Up as a sweet closer on the deal).

ALMOST EVERYBODY became a fan because of singles, even if it was only indirectly, which seems to be the case for you and I.

I believe I should end with another appropriate quote: "311 is down for the unity. Unanimity of the unity. That's right."

If there isn't even Unity amongst 311 fans, then I don't see how we expect to show the rest of the world.
and in the end
the love you take
is equal to
the love you make
CatCity
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CatCity »

making a fan off homebrew or down is different then making a fan off love song

if love song was never released you think it would be on every setlist???
wbrycew
Taiyed Brodel

Post by wbrycew »

Samsupnthismothafuka wrote:making a fan off homebrew or down is different then making a fan off love song

if love song was never released you think it would be on every setlist???
Love Song was clearly recorded with the specific intent to be a single. They wouldn't have recorded the song in the first place if they weren't gonna release it.
and in the end
the love you take
is equal to
the love you make
CatCity
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CatCity »

not every song off 50 first dates was a single...they coulda of just did it for adam sandler but no they had to go do it for dick clark and hilary duff
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

I figured that was more of the record companies decision.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
CatCity
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CatCity »

i think they could of said no...
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

not if you're under contract.
CatCity
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CatCity »

does 311 need a contract? i think not

and are you 100% thats in the contract?
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

if a band is on a record label they are under some form of a contract.
I refuse to believe that every member in the band was down with the nye dick clark/disney bitch, especially the whole sharon osbourne, love song, thing. Even Nick said that they were rushed to finish DTOM, so obviously the record label has some sort of control and power over them.
CatCity
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CatCity »

they should just gave the record company the boot after dtom
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

Samsupnthismothafuka wrote:they should just gave the record company the boot after dtom
second that
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

One thing I like so much about the 311 community is that for the most part 311 fans don't discriminate between "true" fans and "old school" fans and you won't see a lot of that elitist bullshit on a 311 board like you will on a lot of other band message boards.
There's nothin' wrong with someone just getting into 311 now, regardless of what song they hear first. The ones that end up being real fans and going to shows and stuff get into more than just those few singles, and end up discovering the complete world of 311 that we all know and love.

It's all about spreading the 311 love, and getting people introduced to their message. If it takes some radio singles to get people interested and introduced to it, then so be it. Sure there are plenty of people that will hear only the radio songs and never go more in depth in their 311 listening, but think of the people who get interested because of the radio singles, and then go out and buy a full album, and eventually more and more and become huge 311 fans just by having that gate opened for them.

Like it or not 311 isn't "your" band, and you can't decide what they do. Honestly, Sam, here's my advice. Try to avoid that whole mentality of being a better fan than other people, and them not being worthy and all that other bullshit, and just try to be positive about new people getting into 311. Because the way your mind is set right now is just negative, and in the long run it's just going to turn you into a bitter person.
I started getting like that once too, and I'd be like "grrr I hate 311's fan base now blah blah blah" and then I'd go to shows and I wouldn't enjoy them as much because I'd be standing there thinking about how I'm a better fan than these other people in the crowd around me, and they're not good fans, etc, but then I started realizing I was just ruining my own 311 concert experience by worrying about that shit. So fuck it, let everyone listen to 311 for whatever reasons they want, and I'll keep doing the same myself.

Later
ImageImage
:evil5:
kdub
Sometimes jacks rule the realm

Post by kdub »

Samsupnthismothafuka wrote:not every song off 50 first dates was a single...they coulda of just did it for adam sandler but no they had to go do it for dick clark and hilary duff
damn, they did, i must of turned it off, cuz all i saw wuz All Mixed Up and Speak Easy
3/14/04, 9/10/05, 9/3/06, 7/4/07, 7/5/07, 7/14/07
wbrycew
Taiyed Brodel

Post by wbrycew »

Jordan, are you actually me? I couldn't have said it better.
and in the end
the love you take
is equal to
the love you make
CatCity
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CatCity »

kdub wrote:
Samsupnthismothafuka wrote:not every song off 50 first dates was a single...they coulda of just did it for adam sandler but no they had to go do it for dick clark and hilary duff
damn, they did, i must of turned it off, cuz all i saw wuz All Mixed Up and Speak Easy
well you know what i mean it was on everything. that dick clark show was such a terrible night of 311 i tried to forget everything bout it