Re: 2 songs off the upcoming album

Post by $lmjimy311 »

its all out of love
:evil5: TB>BB
FreeRayLiotta
Taiyed Brodel

Post by FreeRayLiotta »

the songs sound dated - but I guess it is that 311 sound. maybe their sound/approach is dated. Nick said they wanted to be like U2 - so i guess that means always trying to sound like your former self and every so often a decent record comes out.

these sound a lot better on the first listen than Hey You did. they are radio friendly and cheesy but I like them fine enough. can't hear the instrumental very well. I am sure it has a lot of those little noises and shit that made uplifter almost not suck. love the ambient production on that album. a good pair of headphones and it really shines in places - then nick sings and ruins it.

hearing new 311 is like hanging out with an old friend. i have spent over 15 years with this band. i am glad they are still making music. the vocals are better live when the crowd sings along. they did the cruise - they are doing a fucking camping festival. heading in the right direction with the shows more or less

the guitar solo in wild nights sounds dirty from what i can hear. i even sort of like whoooass' for once. though it reminds me of something from the 80's that i can't place

sounds better so far than DTOM - so that is good. they are happy guys. living their dreams. they are honest about that in their music. thats it. if they were bisexual and ugly and frail and hated themselves then we might get a record like King of Limbs or Kid A. instead they make high school party music. it is what it is and I guess I am stupid because I like it. in the immortal words of Phil from the band Sev "drink a 40 - smoke a bowl"
Rock for Light
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel
Location: Birmingham, Al - currently residing in Birmingham, AL

Post by KyleRayner »

it may be 2:00 am and I may be hammered, but that is the best post on this board in years. in fact i know i'm hammered because i'm tearing up a little and im a big teddy bear sweetheart, because i always feel like i lost an old friend. 311 is a big part of the happiest care free moments of my life, but now when i listen all i get is upset and mad and embarassed. cheers bro
I Want to Believe :evil5:
EvenField2BeOn
Shades of gold displayed naturally

Post by EvenField2BeOn »

FreeRay you have tiger blood dude.
tred311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by tred311 »

FreeRayLiotta wrote:the songs sound dated - but I guess it is that 311 sound. maybe their sound/approach is dated. Nick said they wanted to be like U2 - so i guess that means always trying to sound like your former self and every so often a decent record comes out.

these sound a lot better on the first listen than Hey You did. they are radio friendly and cheesy but I like them fine enough. can't hear the instrumental very well. I am sure it has a lot of those little noises and shit that made uplifter almost not suck. love the ambient production on that album. a good pair of headphones and it really shines in places - then nick sings and ruins it.

hearing new 311 is like hanging out with an old friend. i have spent over 15 years with this band. i am glad they are still making music. the vocals are better live when the crowd sings along. they did the cruise - they are doing a fucking camping festival. heading in the right direction with the shows more or less

the guitar solo in wild nights sounds dirty from what i can hear. i even sort of like whoooass' for once. though it reminds me of something from the 80's that i can't place

sounds better so far than DTOM - so that is good. they are happy guys. living their dreams. they are honest about that in their music. thats it. if they were bisexual and ugly and frail and hated themselves then we might get a record like King of Limbs or Kid A. instead they make high school party music. it is what it is and I guess I am stupid because I like it. in the immortal words of Phil from the band Sev "drink a 40 - smoke a bowl"

FreeRay post FTW! Well said man. Cheers!
"Never miss an opportunity to keep your mouth shut"
Unlabled
We catch the drift and ride moving tides

Post by Unlabled »

SA's rap in the first song is laughable, while the rest of the song is decent. I withhold judgment until I can hear a better quality version.

SA's verses in Time Bomb are much better and he fits better than Nick to the groove. Like the little breakdown near the end of the song.

I like Time Bomb better.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

EvenField2BeOn wrote:FreeRay you have tiger blood dude.
and adonnis DNA.

I like the two new tracks. The first one, Wild Nights, sounds especially awesome I love the chorus and the whoa-ohs. The second one is meh, but listenable. SA tears it up on both.

Very excited about this album now. Looks like it's shaping up to be another awesome summer jam album. :D 8)

Later
ImageImage
:evil5:
robah
Shades of gold displayed naturally

Post by robah »

Scotch said he's back in the studio with them 2012.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

thats fucking dope ass news to hear, thanks robah! where did you come across this info from?
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

robah wrote:Scotch said he's back in the studio with them 2012.

I think I just got a boner.

Later
ImageImage
JESSE PUMA
I'm a fly guy you know I'm smoother

wow

Post by JESSE PUMA »

$lmjimy311 wrote:
JESSE PUMA wrote:From what I can make out of that crude recording I like the new stuff......WINNING!!!!!

wtf?!

one thing i love about new album releases is that everyone comes out of the wood work. you mother fucking cock sucking pieces of shit. just fucking stay. no shit this place is always dead its cause you cunt licking assholes never fucking post jesus christ. let me spell it out for everyone. more people post...more posts to respond to. less people post...less posts to respond to. its that simple, you don't need a god damned college degree to figure this one out guys. so this time stick the fuck around or dont comeback at all.

Wow, looks like the kid from Slumdog Millionare is a little sore Jesse Puma took a three year hiatus from the forum. Sorry to set you off little dude, I was merely checking in on how the cruise was and dug the new song samples. Thanks for greeting me back with a nice cold haterade shower. I'm sorry my coming out of the woodwork stole some of your happy hours. Relax, son.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

the rant wasnt directed particularly to you, but it does annoy me that most people on come here when they want something or when a new album comes out and even then its just to get something from us. the wtf was just surprised you were on here considering the 3 year hiatus. i have no beef with people coming out of the woodwork, i just have beef with people who do it and then leave back into the wood work especially quality posters like you. i miss the old days of 311heaven when you came on here and there were like 20 new threads to look at, it was fun.
BigWiLLy311
All I really wanna is to feel nirvana

Post by BigWiLLy311 »

$lmjimy311 wrote:the rant wasnt directed particularly to you, but it does annoy me that most people on come here when they want something or when a new album comes out and even then its just to get something from us. the wtf was just surprised you were on here considering the 3 year hiatus. i have no beef with people coming out of the woodwork, i just have beef with people who do it and then leave back into the wood work especially quality posters like you. i miss the old days of 311heaven when you came on here and there were like 20 new threads to look at, it was fun.
I'm up here every day. There's just never anything to talk about.

ANYWAY, I wish I liked the new songs, I just... don't. As posted before, if those are the singles and the rest of the album is good, that's fine by me. Also, "distortion guitar" on all the songs could mean that some of the songs are like "Golden Sunlight," which would also be fine by me. That song is badass.

I'm just over the "we're happy to be alive, I love my life, my wife and my kids" thing. We all feel the same way. We don't need an entire album dedicated to it. Make music for the sake of making music, not for the sake of drilling some message we've all already heard a thousand time, you know?

Also, one last thing. Does anyone find it... interesting that in "Time Bomb," they introduce [you] to "tha" excitable crew? It seems an odd choice to say "the" with the soft e and not the long e, particularly with "excitable" being the next word. It's not exactly a diphthong, saying the word "thee" would increase clarity (imo) and the words are on the same pitch, so.... interesting.
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

BigWiLLy311 wrote:Also, one last thing. Does anyone find it... interesting that in "Time Bomb," they introduce [you] to "tha" excitable crew? It seems an odd choice to say "the" with the soft e and not the long e, particularly with "excitable" being the next word. It's not exactly a diphthong, saying the word "thee" would increase clarity (imo) and the words are on the same pitch, so.... interesting.
that's the first thing i noticed and it drives me fucking nuts... i'll get used to it
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

FreeRayLiotta wrote:i even sort of like whoooass' for once. though it reminds me of something from the 80's that i can't place

OMG I've been trying to place it too ever since you said that, and today it FINALLY hit me!

skip to 1:27 for the whoa-ohs.

8)

Later
ImageImage
Alexnova
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Alexnova »

Real McCoy is the shit, great album. Fun Jeopardy fact, the women singers in that video didn't actually record the vocals (done ala Milli Vanilli).

Also your video sucks, its in mono. :wink:
hexumjunkie
We catch the drift and ride moving tides

Post by hexumjunkie »

speaking of old school posters.....I go way back.....
Anti-Dentite
Here I sit in idle envy

Post by Anti-Dentite »

ditto
Alexnova
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Alexnova »

Stop with this time travel shit, fucking me out here.
GOAT
Taiyed Brodel

Post by GOAT »

2011 and i all i have is an 8 gig hard drive and a broken computer. i'd post more if i had a chance slmjimy...
Music's what i need to keep my sanity