Return of the V

Nice to meet you.
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Return of the V

Post by Vallon »

So where the old school "brodels" and "slinky girls" at?

Element
Taiyed Brodel

Re: Return of the V

Post by Element »

sup dude, make some posts
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

Element wrote:sup dude, make some posts
I thought i'd ease back into things ... test the waters a bit ...

Be careful what you wish for ... you get me going, and you might not be able to shut me up ;)

--

It's been a longtime... looking to reconnect with some old familiar faces, and hopefully make some new friends along the way.

--g
ronica311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by ronica311 »

Glad you are back. Glad I'm back on here too.
***DON'T GIVE UP YOUR INDEPENDENCE. UNLESS IT FEELS SO RIGHT***********
:evil5:
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

ronica311 wrote:Glad you are back. Glad I'm back on here too.
Glad to be here... :)

So what's new?? -- And where is everyone else? Seems kinda quiet
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Element »

the forum's been really slow for like a year. people still post, but it's nothing like it used to be.
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

Element wrote:the forum's been really slow for like a year. people still post, but it's nothing like it used to be.
Hmm... that's disappointing. I wonder how much that's due to decline in interest in 311... in general. I don't know about others... but speaking personally, I was disappointed by DTOM. The musicianship was still there, but to me it lacked cohesion. It was a collection of songs, some good, some not so great... but not really a solid album. I guess I just took it for granted that 311 always made albums that you could play start to finish, and never get tired of.

There was a slightly more negative tone as well ... with all of the anti-war, anti-bush sentiment going on. Solar Flare might be the greatest example of this, but on the whole, the album seemed to be less optimistic, and more cynical. You'd have to go back to the days of Peaceful Revolution to really get that political. To a degree, Borders and some of the Transistor tracks... but to me, the majority of 311's music wasn't so much political commentary, as a celebration of life and promoting a positive outlook.

Frolic Room, Speak Easy, and Waiting at face value might be seen as the uppity pop-reggae songs ... but to me, it didn't really fit or flow. Waiting (which i've learned to appreciate), makes me think of a karaoke screen, watching the bouncing ball... it just seems out of place.

I loved that SA shined on that album and really took a step forward vocally ... but at a cost. What makes 311 great is the dual vocal dynamic shared by Nick and SA. The way they balance singing melodies and rapping, and interchanging harmonies. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but the lack of Nick's presence vocally on DTOM didn't help.

So that being said... I think Uplifter was the perfect counter to that. Uplifter plays to 311's strengths... dynamic vocals, instrumentation and energy. It's upbeat, positive... at times heavy, and at times beautiful... but nothing feels out of place. The only song that i'm unsure of is "too much, too fast"... I love it... I do, but it's a weird fit. It might have been best suited as a b-side. Overall though, the extended cut version... with "I Like The Way" and "Get Down"... it's just, damn near perfect. It's the 311 I fell in love with in '95 ... and became even more obsessed with in '98-'99. I could NOT get ENOUGH of India Ink... I played that song over, and over, and over. Some of us feared that 311 was backing off from rap completely... but that's vintage 311 right there, you can't beat that stuff.

I've been going through old concert photos, and memorabilia collected over the years ... and the memories keep floating back up to the surface. It's such a trip... so many good memories.

311 Day isn't on the agenda for me this year ... I went in 2004, and don't know how I could top it... but I have a feeling if they go back to New Orleans... i'm going to have to chance it.

As to the declining numbers on here... I think that could be remedied. From what I can tell, many fans have been turned off by the new official band board... not the "bb" of old. There seems to be a market there of people looking for a more old school posting environment. So with a little promo, you could boost the numbers in here a bit...

I'll do what I can

--glenn
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Element »

nice man, i'm banned off the BB, but if you could get some peeps over here that would be fantastic. we've always had a solid core of people posting here, but a lot of them have moved on for i'm sure a variety of reasons. it's just us veterens now.

i wasn't impressed with most 311 after soundsystem, uplifter has some good tunes but 311 will never be what they once were, because they think about it too much now. back in the day, they would make riffs up and then jam on it. i'd rather listen to 311 jam for an hour than listen to the songs they write these days. they're trying to be too sophisticated, when they need to just let their creativity flow.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

WB V!

Later
ImageImage
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

Element wrote:nice man, i'm banned off the BB, but if you could get some peeps over here that would be fantastic. we've always had a solid core of people posting here, but a lot of them have moved on for i'm sure a variety of reasons. it's just us veterens now.

i wasn't impressed with most 311 after soundsystem, uplifter has some good tunes but 311 will never be what they once were, because they think about it too much now. back in the day, they would make riffs up and then jam on it. i'd rather listen to 311 jam for an hour than listen to the songs they write these days. they're trying to be too sophisticated, when they need to just let their creativity flow.
I hear you man... some valid points right there. I'm with you on the jam thing, I love when they make music for the pure love of it, and have fun -- that's when you know they're at their best. Though I have to slightly disagree with you on the "trying to be too sophisticated" thing. I don't think that's it... I know personally that Nick was EXTREMELY amped up and excited about both FROM CHAOS and EVOLVER. I was in his presence in Omaha, talking with friends about how inspired he was, and how much fun the whole band was having. He said they were having more fun playing what THEY WANTED TO PLAY .. as opposed to being told what to play by the Label. Now, that's what I heard... and that was around the same time that the Elliott Smith/Beatles influence was becoming apparent in his writing. As to the rest of the guys... I don't know ... but I don't see them as trying to be "sophisticated" ... so much as a natural maturation. They're older now, have different tastes than they did in their early 20's. Obviously, they know if they veer off too far from their sound, they'll lose part of their following. That's essentially what "Evolver" was supposed to be. Them evolving to the next stage of their career as 311.

I think to a degree burnout was a factor... from the touring, and the day-to-day process. They butted heads with their label... and eventually dropped off of Volcano to do their own thing. I don't think they were trying to be sophisticated so much as they wanted to have control over what they were doing, and want to explore the sounds that were inspiring them in their late 30's as opposed to trying to rehash Down, or even Come Original. That has to be expected... to an extent. I think Evolver was a solid record, and while it was experimental in many ways... it was still 311. To me, DTOM was also experimental, but the variety of styles was so different ... song-to-song, that it felt incoherent. There were songs that if you played them on their own, would have felt at home on Soundsystem or Transistor... but the mish-mash of Solar Flare and Waiting? I dunno... it just didn't seem right to me.

Uplifter continues the experimentation ... but doesn't deviate so far from the course that you wonder what's going on. The only exception I can think of is probably "Too Much, Too Fast" w/ the doo-wop/50's vibe. It's definitely a change of pace... to say the least. It's not my favorite song by any stretch, but I understand what they were doing it... and I appreciate for what it is... but I would rather they had found a way to get "Sun Come Through" on there. To me, that would have been an ever better leadoff than "Hey You".

---

So if you don't mind me asking... what could you have possibly done to merit getting banned from the 311 bb? Heated debate w/ maybe too much criticism for their liking? ... ???

--glenn
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

Jordan311 wrote:WB V!

Later
THX J!

P.S. -- lovin' the avatar of tony starch ;) and yes, that's a pun
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Element »

i made a thread saying they should stop the show cause they're turning into a pop band. (around the time love song came out)
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

Element wrote:i made a thread saying they should stop the show cause they're turning into a pop band. (around the time love song came out)
You were banned for saying they should stop the show... that seems a bit harsh. I dunno see no evil, hear no evil I guess ... but I remember plenty of people criticizing the band, and going back and forth with Nick even about them selling out. Never got banned...

They have a totally different system now too... did you ever try going back?

Anyhow, if you're on the book of face, feel free to look me up and add me... link is in the profile.

--g
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Element »

that was awhile ago, i don't really have any interest in posting there. i don't really listen to 311 much anymore unless i feel like playing drums to a track.
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

Element wrote:that was awhile ago, i don't really have any interest in posting there. i don't really listen to 311 much anymore unless i feel like playing drums to a track.
Ahh, I see...

But you still spend a good amount of time on here right? Do you moderate?
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Element »

i'm only a mod of my elmt forum, which you're now a member of

no moderation of any kind goes on at TB, and if it does we'll burn this mother DOWN
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

Element wrote:i'm only a mod of my elmt forum, which you're now a member of

no moderation of any kind goes on at TB, and if it does we'll burn this mother DOWN
I noticed :) ... posted inside...

No mods? Yet, you can make your own forum?

So at what point do I get my own forum? a porsche? red sox season tickets??!? ;)

*edit* -- mods/admin ... I use the term loosely
Last edited by Vallon on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Element »

bring some cool bbers, or some people i can make fun of from the BB here, and you shall have your own forum
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

Element wrote:bring some cool bbers, or some people i can make fun of from the BB here, and you shall have your own forum
Now THAT'S incentive ;)

haha :mrgreen:
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

Element wrote:cool bbers

oxymoron?

Later
ImageImage