Roids

Play Ball!
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Roids

Post by Jorge »

Can somebody explain to me why this is such a big deal? Especially after a decade of allegations and offenses.

I simply don't care, mainly because I don't care about baseball. But it just seems to me that the folks that get riled up over these players using are naive, and are holding on to some fictional image of the game. As if it were ever pure.
coast2coast
Electrified by the sound

Re: Roids

Post by coast2coast »

So you are naive if you want your favorite sport to be on an even playing field. Also, if you've ever picked up a bat you would know it can make a whole hell of a difference. Even more so if you've ever tried to pitch a game where you throw over a 100 pitches (The ML standard usually)

My biggest problem with it is that it gets into the mindset of some players in the minor leagues that are on the fringe of making it that taking PED's can push them over the hump. This in turn will trickle down into high schools and thats where I have a big problem with it. High School kids are very impressionable and it just sends the wrong message.

This was a random topic to start if you don't care.
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Jorge »

I don't care about the issue. I care about learning the logic behind people's opinions. Do you think sports are set on an even playing field, regardless of steroid use?
coast2coast
Electrified by the sound

Post by coast2coast »

Jorge wrote:I don't care about the issue. I care about learning the logic behind people's opinions. Do you think sports are set on an even playing field, regardless of steroid use?
Um, I think I just did explain my logic behind it.

As far as an even playing field I think there are alot of things that happen off the field that make some of the sports a little offcentered. The way owners sling around money in baseball in particular make it almost impossible for teams to compete with organizations such as the Yankees, Redsox or the Mets. Teams like the Pittsburgh Pirates have basically given away their starting infield this season. They might be able to create some homegrown talent sometimes but all in all if they develope they will demand more money than the team can provide.

* Digression, what is funny to me is how the Redsox become what they hated the most. The New York Yankees. The way they have been aquiring players is borderline ridiculous this year.

I'm guessing this forum was created after news of Davide Ortiz and Manny Ramirez coming up on the positive list from 2003.

I do believe the game of baseball is often played on an even keel. Every team loses in baseball. For example the Royals will beat the Redsox or Yankees a few times this year even if they don't have the firepower in the lineup. The game is too unpredictable unlike a sport like Football where you just know that USC will beat Washington or the Patriots will beat the Lions. ( I know their are upsets some times)

When you say sports that is a pretty general term are we talking pro's, school, what?

Baseball and Football I follow pretty religiously. I even watched the world baseball classic. haha. As for other sports I will need help from other sports fans to give their opinions on Hockey, Soccer etc.
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Jorge »

coast2coast wrote:
Jorge wrote:I don't care about the issue. I care about learning the logic behind people's opinions. Do you think sports are set on an even playing field, regardless of steroid use?
Um, congratulations. Did you not think I could tell? Prick.
coast2coast wrote:When you say sports that is a pretty general term are we talking pro's, school, what?
I was talking professionally, but we might as well consider Division 1 NCAA sports as well. Money plays about as much of a role as professional sports.
coast2coast
Electrified by the sound

Post by coast2coast »

Jorge wrote:
coast2coast wrote:
Um, congratulations. Did you not think I could tell? Prick.
coast2coast wrote:When you say sports that is a pretty general term are we talking pro's, school, what?
I was talking professionally, but we might as well consider Division 1 NCAA sports as well. Money plays about as much of a role as professional sports.
Actually no, I didn't think you could tell. Why didn't you just clarify from the beginning what you wanted your thread to be about? Your thread asked why people get so spun up about the issue. I answered and then you change what you want the topic to be about.

Try not to resort to name calling Mr. internet tough guy.
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Element »

i don't get this thread
coast2coast
Electrified by the sound

Post by coast2coast »

me either
311junkee
Taiyed Brodel

Post by 311junkee »

i think that you think too much

roids really has tainted the last decade of baseball though no matter how much dirt we continue to dig up. it's a shame that clean players out there are getting a bad rep, but that's just the way it is now.

i'm ready to move on

test those motherfuckers like there is no tomorrow and the problem is solved. eventually we will forget about it
Jump up and down cuz that's the 311 style!
coast2coast
Electrified by the sound

Post by coast2coast »

Thats what I'd like. Line them up team by team and have a bus ready would be just fine with me. It's even better that Arroyo came forward today. Looks like the entire 04 Sox team is on the 100 person list as well as many others. (exaggeration) The list also include the entire Cubs starting rotation from that year. (Wood, Clement, Prior) Wow really sad.
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel
Location: Birmingham, Al - currently residing in Birmingham, AL

Post by KyleRayner »

steroids aren't a big deal in the recent history because everybody was using them. it sucks but its true. it really sucks for the awesome people who weren't because think of what they could have done on an even field. but if you think just the big teams who have had all these names come out were the only teams with the problem you are an idiot. however it does matter in the long run and in retrospect, and there is one huge glaring reason. barry bonds. when people who were users begin breaking records of people who did it cleanly, there is a serious problem. that is why it is such a big deal.
I Want to Believe :evil5:
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

coast2coast wrote:So you are naive if you want your favorite sport to be on an even playing field. Also, if you've ever picked up a bat you would know it can make a whole hell of a difference. Even more so if you've ever tried to pitch a game where you throw over a 100 pitches (The ML standard usually)

My biggest problem with it is that it gets into the mindset of some players in the minor leagues that are on the fringe of making it that taking PED's can push them over the hump. This in turn will trickle down into high schools and thats where I have a big problem with it. High School kids are very impressionable and it just sends the wrong message.

then you should be against players who take cortisone shots.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

if steroids are legal on the field.. pcp and coke should be legal

lets see how it works then
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
coast2coast
Electrified by the sound

Post by coast2coast »

assblaster wrote:
coast2coast wrote:So you are naive if you want your favorite sport to be on an even playing field. Also, if you've ever picked up a bat you would know it can make a whole hell of a difference. Even more so if you've ever tried to pitch a game where you throw over a 100 pitches (The ML standard usually)

then you should be against players who take cortisone shots.
Actually, I do disagree with the use if the player is uninformed about it and proceeds to injure himself to a greater extent.

Assblaster, you just watched Varsity Blues didn't you.
coast2coast
Electrified by the sound

Post by coast2coast »

fatlip wrote:if steroids are legal on the field.. pcp and coke should be legal

lets see how it works then
The result = Darryl Strawberry.