Treme

Movies. TV. Video Games. The Internet. Talk about any of these or post your own photos or videos.
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Treme

Post by Jorge »

Anybody else watching this show? It is safe to say that this show is far and away my favorite new show. So far, I can see it being as good as The Wire, but in a different light.

And the music is amazing.
greenmonkey911
Taiyed Brodel

Re: Treme

Post by greenmonkey911 »

too preachy for me. granted, i've only seen 1 episode, but whereas the wire laid it out in front of you, treme seemingly shoves it down your throat

the music is great though
Broken Side
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Broken Side »

i've been wondering if i should check this out since i know it has so many ties to the Wire. but it looked like it was a lighter, happier show and i wasn't sure if I would like it. Does it have the same type of character dilemas and twists and all that stuff???? arent the actors who played bunk and freemon both in it?
"Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends"
:evil5:
GET LIFTED
http://soundcloud.com/joeshmo38/sets/lifted/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
greenmonkey911
Taiyed Brodel

Post by greenmonkey911 »

the wire ties (lol) attracted me at first too. yeah bunk and freemon are back.. it's almost worth watching just to see those two back at it. i didn't get into it far enough to see much of the plot or twists -it was hard getting past the tone- but if it is all Wiry in that sense I might bite the bullet and give it another go..
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

ill pass on this one. mainly cause im currently watching the wire (just started watching season 4, im on episode 3). ps season 3 blew donkey dick
:evil5: TB>BB
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel
Location: Birmingham, Al - currently residing in Birmingham, AL

Post by KyleRayner »

Weakest for sure, but it certainly didn't blow
I Want to Believe :evil5:
greenmonkey911
Taiyed Brodel

Post by greenmonkey911 »

maybe, maybe not, but the series finale was definitely a Monica. you're better off skippin it, Jim.
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Jorge »

Season 4 and 2 are my favorite.

Kyle speaks the truth.

You need to watch more of Treme before you can judge the show, Greenmonk. If you judged the Wire by its first episode, you'd pass on it. I'm still not sure on what exactly you mean by preachy, but eh, you know?

For me, in Treme, the character development is terrific. You feel so much apart of the community presented. And the music references alone are enough for any music nerd to bust a nut. Plus, last episode they had cameos by KENNY ANDERSON and CLIFFORD ROBINSON. Talk about left field, but it worked.

MUNDANE SPOILER!

Some guy is from Amsterdam, and when mentioning of wear he is from, someone involved in the conversation questions, "You mean, Hamsterdam?"
greenmonkey911
Taiyed Brodel

Post by greenmonkey911 »

hamsterdam :) I was hooked on the Wire within the first 5 minutes

John Goodman's character is the one coming off as preachy. I'm constantly getting the sense that he's throwing out stats for the camera that the writers want us to hear (obviously). But they present him as sort of a wacky guy, leaving the viewer to wonder whether to take this man and his historical recounts at face value or to take the time and verify each claim. I was also unable to identify any clear protagonist, something a show should strive to establish right away (If I had to guess I'd say Zahn.. amiright?)
Broken Side
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Broken Side »

i caught the last 10 minutes of treme last night, not sure which # episode it was, but i noticed right away that slim charles from the wire was making a cameo! he was locked in jail and stealin someones identity or sumthin!!! and of course i saw bunk and freemon, so i gotta say i'm interested in checkin out the show if i get some time.

as far as the wire, i think season 4 was the best by a long shot. but i actually liked season 3, tons of crazy shit happened in season 3. its hard to rank them but maybe 4, 1, 3, 2, 5....altho i think i could switch 1, 3, 2 in any order depending on my mood
"Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends"
:evil5:
GET LIFTED
http://soundcloud.com/joeshmo38/sets/lifted/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel
Location: Birmingham, Al - currently residing in Birmingham, AL

Post by KyleRayner »

season 1 is my fave for sure. minor spoiler to follow. the episode where everybody gets arrested is so amazing. the ending when that badass outro music comes in early as the camera slowly pans over that slum where they hang out, except now nobody is there... gives me chills everytime
I Want to Believe :evil5:
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Jorge »

greenmonkey911 wrote: I was also unable to identify any clear protagonist, something a show should strive to establish right away (If I had to guess I'd say Zahn.. amiright?)
Why?

If there was a simple protagonist you desire, it would be the city of New Orleans, comprised of the complicated characters within it and their interactions with each other. That community aspect is what bugs me out.
greenmonkey911
Taiyed Brodel

Post by greenmonkey911 »

the protagonist is the prism with which the audience sees the story. Cities and their streets are where the stories happen.

To say New Orleans is the protagonist would be to say the same of Baltimore. Certainly the cities are the focal point of each respective series, but I'm sure you and I can agree that the Wire has a living, breathing protagonist in McNulty.
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Jorge »

What about season 4 when he was spending time in England with his kids?

And no, the protaganist is not the prism in which we see the story. Not in modern storytelling, at least.
greenmonkey911
Taiyed Brodel

Post by greenmonkey911 »

protagonist: the main character (the central or primary personal figure) of a literary, theatrical, cinematic, video game, or musical narrative, around whom the events of the narrative's plot revolve and with whom the audience is intended to share the most empathy
311Chik
Taiyed Brodel

Post by 311Chik »

I'm having a wicked hard time getting into this show. I love New Orleans and the actors on the show but I just can't get into it.
ImageImage
ER