jimy, is it worth it to get a PS3 slim...

Movies. TV. Video Games. The Internet. Talk about any of these or post your own photos or videos.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

jimy, is it worth it to get a PS3 slim...

Post by Jordan311 »

...if I don't have an HDTV?
I have a pretty decent big old school TV, and an ok surround sound setup.

But yea, it's gonna be a while til I can afford a good HDTV. Do you think it's still worth it to buy a PS3 slim, and just play with an S-video or Red/yellow/white connection?

Later
ImageImage
:evil5:
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel
Location: Birmingham, Al - currently residing in Birmingham, AL

Re: jimy, is it worth it to get a PS3 slim...

Post by KyleRayner »

its probably not. there is no real ps3 exclusive that is worth it, unless you will be getting the tv soon. i don't see why you would want a slim but not an old one except just for aesthetic purposes unless there is somethign else about the slim i am missing. plus blu-ray only matters on hdtv obviously. stick with the 360 unless you REALLY want to play mgs4, which obviously wasnt that big a deal if you don't have one now. theres no real reason to get one. until uncharted 2 or gow3, or MAG. my ps3 is really just a blu-ray player
I Want to Believe :evil5:
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel

Post by KyleRayner »

also wrong section
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

oops. How the hell did I put this in the 311 section. Oh well. I'd ask Station to move it but he never comes on here.

Anyway, I do want to play a few other games like Uncharted, and Little Big Planet, and of course MGS4. There might be a few others.

I don't really care about blue ray for now.

Later
ImageImage
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

if you've been playing your 360 on it with no issue, then yes. i personally could never go back to playing my ps3 on a standard def anymore, but i guess its different since you've never had your 360 hooked up to an hd permanently. so yes it is worth it. oh and add infamous to your list, im playing it right now and its boss.
:evil5: TB>BB
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

PS3 Slim sucks, get the original one
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

KyleRayner wrote:its probably not. there is no real ps3 exclusive that is worth it, unless you will be getting the tv soon. i don't see why you would want a slim but not an old one except just for aesthetic purposes unless there is somethign else about the slim i am missing. plus blu-ray only matters on hdtv obviously. stick with the 360 unless you REALLY want to play mgs4, which obviously wasnt that big a deal if you don't have one now. theres no real reason to get one. until uncharted 2 or gow3, or MAG. my ps3 is really just a blu-ray player

- uncharted 1 & 2
- killzone2
- resistance 1 & 2
- infamous
- ratchet and clank & expansion
- batman arkham (im talkin about being able to play as joker)
- heavenly sword
- little big planet
- metal gear solid 4
- lair (fuck what people say, i have that game and its fun as hell, having analog control just makes it better)
- mag
- motor storm
- gran turismo
- mod nation
- GOD OF MOTHER FUCKING WAR
- the ninja gaiden sigmas

if you want i can continue...

and the old ps3 isnt worth getting, its the same exact price and has a bigger harddrive. i doubt jojo wants to install linux on it which is the only real big difference in features the new one doesnt have and the old one does
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

now has 2 usb ports instead of the original 4, absolutely no ps2 support, doesnt look as nice (its matte), no more OFF switch, only standby. and no more cool capacitive touch buttons, they're all hardware buttons

MEH.. the only improvements are bigger harddrive (which is almost pointless, and you can still upgrade the old PS3 harddrive), and if you have a bravia tv, you can use it's remote

big whoop. PS3fat is better
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel

Post by KyleRayner »

$lmjimy311 wrote:
- uncharted 1 & 2
- killzone2
- resistance 1 & 2
- infamous
- ratchet and clank & expansion
- batman arkham (im talkin about being able to play as joker)
- heavenly sword
- little big planet
- metal gear solid 4
- lair (fuck what people say, i have that game and its fun as hell, having analog control just makes it better)
- mag
- motor storm
- gran turismo
- mod nation
- GOD OF MOTHER FUCKING WAR
- the ninja gaiden sigmas

if you want i can continue...
the only game you named i didnt that is any good is kilzone 2 really, which i totally forgot and apologize to killzone 2 for. resistance games sucked hard. mgs4, i thought, was pretty much an awesome game except that it wasn't actually a video game. the game parts were good though. overall, kinda sucked. infamous was nothing special, and you can get your jollies from that type of experience from prototype, which also kinda sucked but could have been the best game ever. racing games peaked at mario kart 64. oh wait, ratchet and clank i forgot that too, thats fun but no reason to get a ps3, just play the old ones on ps2

my opinion still stands, without an HDTV, don't bother. that opinion changes drastically if you get an HDTV. and gow3 and MAG might change the whole situation, but thats 6-8 months off
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

okay prototype and infamous are two totally different games in terms of gamplay, story, and graphics. resistance 1 and 2 sucked? tell that to the great reviews and all the awards its won, and the huge following that it has. dont even try to knock gt, its highly and often recognized as the best racing game ever.

uncharted you've obviously never played, or god of war for that matter...or ninja gaiden...or lbp...or heavenly sword...actually im gonna go ahead and say that you've probably not played the majority of these games that you criticize. and if you have then, wow...my opinion on this matter is you have horrible taste in video games.
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

I've seen ps3 on a regular tv and it was still pretty damn impressive
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel

Post by KyleRayner »

i listed god of war in my original post jimmy. and resistance 2 i never played, true, because hte first was so bland I couldn't get through. the only reason it got good reviews was it was the best of the launch titles. infamous was fun but i got a little bored, but just as bored as prototype, not saying that was any better. they were different games but in the end they are about a superhero in an open ended city with missions. but yeah i never played heavenly sword, little big planet, and lair also who gives a shit about what wins awards, people with limited titles to buy obviously buy a lot of the same games, and don't want to feel bad about it. resistance 2 might be better, but probably not better than killzone 2. you can't honestly tell me that first resistance game was anything that great or different. also the save points are like 2 hours apart and thats annoying as hell. i mean killzone 2 wasn't groundbreaking either, but it was so pretty!
Last edited by KyleRayner on Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel

Post by KyleRayner »

also your sig is broken, i think
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

i actually like the save points being so far apart, it made the game challenging. and the game was actualyl really really fun. my only negative with it were the colors, which were fixed. plus, 30v30 deathmath is amazing
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel

Post by KyleRayner »

i dont like it when design flaws make games more challenging. the game should be hard because its hard to kill all the enemies, but when you clear a room you shouldn't have to clear it 40 times just because theres an actual hard part right around the corner. i mean its all preference, but that just frustrates me. its like why the original resident evil games sucked so bad for me. you don't get scared because there is a zombie chasing you. you get scared becasue there is a zombie chasing you and you can't figure out how to go in the right direction. actually those two situations arent similar at all except both were design flaws that made me not like the game
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

How are sparse save points a "design flaw" ?? Modern games put too many save points and auto-saves in games these days and makes them too easy. It makes the game take no skill, and you don't have to learn the levels to get through them. I don't mind lots of save points, but I would never say it's a design flaw if they choose not to include them every 30 seconds. I'm guessing you never played many old school NES games, Kyle? (specifically shit like contra/megaman)

Anyway, YES GOD OF WAR. SWEET LORD YES. When does it come out?

And I'd like to play heavenly sword, and resistance also. I could probably pick up most of the games I want to play mad cheap since I've waited so long.

And fatlip, I really don't care at all about having copious amounts of USB plugs. Not that important. And I have a PS2 so I don't need backwards compatibility (something that the newer PS3 fat models don't even have). And I always keep my PS2 on standby, so I'd probably do the same for PS3. And I like how the slim looks better than the fat PS3. Plus it will actually fit in my little console area of my entertainment center.

One other question, jimbo. I heard that PS3 slim doesnt have component? Only HDMI? But it still has the regular red/yellow/white, and S-video right?? And I'm assuming optical audio as well?

Later
ImageImage
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

it still supports red white and yellow as well as hdmi and digital optical so you dont have to worry about that, if im correct, it actually comes with the rwy. it also still has component, no worries about that either (as far as i've heard)

and the point of being chased by a zombie and not knowing hwere to go was to invoke in you, a form of panic, which made the game more difficult. that wasnt a design flaw. that was a player not liking the game flaw
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

get it jojo
it was just your birthday...treat yourself
wrjones311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by wrjones311 »

I wish XBOX's didn't exist. DVD-ROM is restrictive to developers, and the XBOX is such a popular system developers are forced to make their games runnable on it for the profit alone... just look at the situation with the recent FF... and the fact that Hideo Kojima couldn't fit everything he wanted into MGS4 which is on blu-ray, if it was a 2 blu-ray game it would take the xbox like 6 disks to keep up...