itunes problemo

Movies. TV. Video Games. The Internet. Talk about any of these or post your own photos or videos.
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel
Location: Birmingham, Al - currently residing in Birmingham, AL

itunes problemo

Post by KyleRayner »

ok so a while ago i got an external hard drive and moved all my music there. all my itunes music is saved there i just changed the itunes music file location in itunes, and had everhything when it was imported to be imported there. everything has been all good for about a year but all of a sudden, even though i still have itunes set to look for the music in the external hard drive, everytime i try to play a song it tells me it can't find the file, but then i go to find it manually and go directly to the hard drive's itunes music folder and find it, it works. anybody have this problem or know how to fix it?
I Want to Believe :evil5:
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Re: itunes problemo

Post by $lmjimy311 »

yea, there is a good chance that your computer changed the drive letter.
like mine one day randomly changed from E to F
if that is the case then you have to re-do your library because all your files are gonna from "E:\external\kyle\Brittney_Spears\" to "F:\external\kyle\Brittney_Spears\"
:evil5: TB>BB
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel

Post by KyleRayner »

FUCK that is exactly what happened.

how do i fix it :oops:

because if i have to reimport everything i might hang myself with all these cords around me
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

that my friend, i have no idea
:evil5: TB>BB
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel

Post by KyleRayner »

it seems like i should be able to tell my computer to call it E: drive again but i can't figure out how
anyone else have thoughts?
Station
Ambassador of Style

Post by Station »

You just go to your itunes preferences, and choose where you library is located. When you point it to the new drive letter, it will probably spend a few minutes trying to recognize all of your music, and then you'll be set.
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel

Post by KyleRayner »

yeah thats what i was saying, when i do that it still says not recognized becasue itunes thinks the original file is at E:\iTunes\iTunes Music but the computer renamed the drive to F, so even when i tell it that the itunes folder is at F:\iTunes\iTunes Music, it says it can't find the original file becasue that would be at E:\iTunes\iTunes Music which no longer exists. or at least i guess thats the problem, because i am definitely telling it the right place in the preferences option
ATLantaStylee
We go on like it ain't no thing

Post by ATLantaStylee »

OK, sounds like you need to rename the drive itself instead of changing it in iTunes. Go to accessories> system tools> administrative tools> computer management (Ithink this is where it's at I am not in front of a computer that I have rights to. Otherwise it may be in the control panel.) Anyway in computer management there will be some boxes with drive letters on them. You will need to right click on your external drive and 'change drive letter' try to change it back to E or F whatever it used to be. This may have happened to you if you recently plugged in a usb drive, mp3 player, digital camera, anything with storage that you haven't plugged in before. It may have claimed a drive letter. Good Luck
Bobby, You be quiet out there.
ATLantaStylee
We go on like it ain't no thing

Post by ATLantaStylee »

Yeah what you said. Damn I can't believe how much more simple your post sounded. Shame on me and I used to be in tech support.
Bobby, You be quiet out there.
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel

Post by KyleRayner »

you sirs are saints, it worked perfectly

and yeah i used ska's :D