Just got a plasma TV

Movies. TV. Video Games. The Internet. Talk about any of these or post your own photos or videos.
Rap Weasel
Taiyed Brodel

Just got a plasma TV

Post by Rap Weasel »

Should I really NEVER play video games on it?....
So its come to this?
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

no, if you got one of hte newer models, burn in is a thing of the past unless there is an electrical issue, like if you get struck by lightning. the technology they have now-a-days you dont have to worry about burn in unless you like leave it on the same screen for a long ass time. one thing to watch out for is bright whites, i would turn the brightness down a little bit when you play games with alot of whites, rumor has it it busts somethin in the tv a bit. i dont know, i read it in pc mag
:evil5: TB>BB
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel
Location: Birmingham, Al - currently residing in Birmingham, AL

Post by KyleRayner »

yeah, plus you don't seem like the RPG kinda guy, which is where most of the problems are as HUD stuff stays on screen for longer whereas halo or the like, cutscenes galore

the other bad one is like the comedy central logo that never leaves the screen, that could be bad, but like jimmy bad, unless you leave it up for like days, it shoudlnt be a problem, and if you do get burn in, i might be wrong, but i think they have some sort of disc that you can put in that runs lots of bright colors across the screen and removes it
I Want to Believe :evil5:
Rap Weasel
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Rap Weasel »

cool...okay my next question is xbox 360 or PS3?...and I was worried about the FOX logo getting burned in when I was watching house a little bit ago. One more thing I do like RPG'S but I will play mainly sports games on it and first person shooters for when friends come over. I still have the first final fantasy with the box and everything for NES.
So its come to this?
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

right now, go for the 360, but here is what alot of developers are realizing,
the ps3 after you get to work with it, is pretty badass, midway said they are moving most of their titles to ps3 first and then the 360. also most of the 360's have already come out, as in like great first party titles. i am a fan of the ps3 t obe honest, but only becuase i think it has so much potential that most developers havent unlocked yet, but alot of people are finnally understanding what it can do. the people that made kane and lynch even said that it was very fun to work with. i say 360 for now, but if you're lookin for an investment, go for the ps3
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel

Post by KyleRayner »

i have both, once PS3 games start heating up, it will be the best by far, built in bluray for your fancy new tv, the upscaling is INCREDIBLE, i used my heroes dvd and my girlfriends to compare, i have the elite hooked up HDMI and ps3, and teh ps3 looked very noticeably better

the only thing is, the gamerpoints system really adds to the game, i like that it tracks everything i play cuz im pretty egotistical like that and think my xboxlive friends are checkin up to see how many games ive beaten

also xbox has mass effect and assassin's creed and halo and bioshock, many more games right now, i would say by the time the ps3 catches up you could have your xbox and be ready to buy a ps3 to have that as well, so in recap, and a repeat of jimmy again, xbox for now, ps3 for later
Rap Weasel
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Rap Weasel »

my friends tech people from his work told him pretty much the same thing, I guess the biggest knock for the ps3 is that blu ray is very expensive to develope forr, and hard.
So its come to this?
dj3stripes
Taiyed Brodel

Post by dj3stripes »

calibrate your tv and you'll be fine, part of a good calibration includes turning the brightness much lower than default, and getting rid of that neon look from sports programing (football grass does not need to look glow in the dark to be HD)
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

ska, i saw a sylvia 42inch 1080p for like 800 at circuit city i think for black friday

on the achievment end, they are working their way onto the ps3, uncharted: drakes fortune has implemented their own version and as soon as home hits, it will blow up with developers...hopefully
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel

Post by KyleRayner »

i don't know if black friday covers evrything but the toshiba regza is one fine television, i have one here, but if you can spring for it the sony bravia is the way to go, we have one at my house in birmingham, it not only has a beautiful picture, but it is the best looking television on the market as well with the glass border, which is nice if you are trying to fit it nonobtrusively into a home
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

i like samsung's better, we were gonna by a 50inch sony bravia 1080p when we realized that the samsung 1080p we were also looking at was cheaper and had a higher contrast ratio, by 5000
$nipe
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $nipe »

KyleRayner wrote:i don't know if black friday covers evrything but the toshiba regza is one fine television, i have one here, but if you can spring for it the sony bravia is the way to go, we have one at my house in birmingham, it not only has a beautiful picture, but it is the best looking television on the market as well with the glass border, which is nice if you are trying to fit it nonobtrusively into a home
That avatar made me thing you were Luke and I was like WTF xD
Image :evil5:
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel

Post by KyleRayner »

i dont even remember him having this avatar! but good for him if he did
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

yea, because your tv is using a kinda built in antenna to pick up the free hi-def channels, cause technically even if you didnt have cable, you can pick up hi-def with rabbit ears. so what you are experiencing is normal, htough im not sure about the channels changing on you like that, thats kinda wierd
TaiyedBorders
Taiyed Brodel

Post by TaiyedBorders »

I have had my Panasonic 42" Viera since 2005. It is actually an "ED" (enhanced definition) - 480p. But it still looks awesome when I watch an HD channel. I dont think it has burn in protection. If I watch the simpsons on dvd, the scene changes, when it goes to black, it leaves a little bit of the image of the last frame of the previous scene stuck on my tv until the next clip comes on then it is erased. Ive also learned to set my sleep timer when I am watching it at night. I usually fall asleep with it on and the next day I wake up and its still on. Sleep timer is a good way to conserve your lamp life. When I was buying my dvd player at 5am at HHGREG during the black friday sales, they were selling 1080p plasmas for 1300 and 720p for 800-999. I paid 2300 for my tv back in 2005. I never knew the black friday sales were that cheap.