14. Light Years
15. Creature Feature
16. Tune In
17. Rub a Dub
18. Starshines
19. Strangers
20. Borders
21. Stealing Happy Hours

..........to having 21 tracks on an album?????????

(22 including the hidden instrumental )

?
Last edited by jmoo861 on Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CULTI-VADER
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CULTI-VADER »

we just got lucky that time
SIP ON THE THICK JUICE
Rich
Along the way to close my eyes

Post by Rich »

um the 21st track would be Stealing Happy Hours

Post by Guest »

On the newer CD's they got rid of the Intro.. don't know why.
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel
Location: Birmingham, Al - currently residing in Birmingham, AL

Post by KyleRayner »

Rich wrote:um the 21st track would be Stealing Happy Hours
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

What ever happened to it? Nothing ever happened to it. It was ONE album out of a soon to be eight that had that many tracks. If anything, Transistor was the out of place one, not the recent 11 track ones. So quit yer cryin'
It's not like 311 has been consistently putting out 21 track albums, and then now all of a sudden are putting out an 11 track one.

At any rate, I hope DTOM has a secret song or bonus track like Coda from Evolver... Then we could consider it as having 12 tracks.

Later
ImageImage
:evil5:

Post by Guest »

Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Shiny »

I like to think that its not that 311's creative juices have spoiled to where they CAN'T put out an album with that many songs anymore...its just at the time of Transistor, they had the balls to do just that.

They had just come out of the blue album with mainstream success and a #1 hit, and that's all they could ask for...they felt set for life...they felt like anything they were to release from then on would result in them getting their nobs polished by critics, fans, and MTV viewers no matter who they were. They were on top of the world at this time with a newfound sense of widespread success, so they were cocky to an extent and had the balls to experiment.

As we've seen, especially with the release of these demos of the new album, 311 toys around with dozens of different ideas for songs. With Transistor, they actually had the balls to polish up and master basically any idea that came to them to put onto the album that they didn't think twice about in a paranoid-of-the-critics-and-mainstream-reaction sense. Transistor is basically 12 tracks. From "Color" until the end, the album consists of experimental tracks that I don't think would appear on a "normal" 311 album, with the exception of 3/4ths of "Stealing Happy Hours". The fact that "Color" is on the album in the first place gives this away. They wrote the instrumental, couldn't "add a little vocal" to it because it was impossible to them, didn't give a fuck because they still liked the instrumental anyway, and slapped that onto the CD in all of its glory. Why? Because 311 had the balls to do this and they had Scotch Ralston being cool with everything and not egging them on to scrap their ideas.

311's imagination well is not running dry, they aren't losing their magic...its just like RayLiotta has said all along, they just care too much about pleasing the mainstream and churning out chart topping hits nowadays. With that, they are sacrificing a lot. Its not that they can't make a long album like Transistor anymore, its just that they hack every other album down way too much instead of putting everything they have into any idea that blindsides them. Case in point...Evolver makes you wonder why "What Do You Do" and "Time Is Precious" were chopped off into b-sides in the first place. They were good songs by Evolver-era standards. Yeah, they care too much. And they can't be held accountable for bad reviews of a b-side...cause its a b-side, I mean come on. Yeah, we got the songs, but admit that it would have been better to see these songs put on the album.

Maybe the closed minded critics who gave Transistor such bad ratings caused Hexum to believe that 311 was headed in a bad direction and he needed to become more critical over everything, but that's not actually the case. I don't think he understands what the true fan thinks. And we love experimental 311. Once Nick Hexum realizes this, we'll see 311 collectively growing a pair once again to dish out almost two dozen songs on a CD. Until then, we'll know that they will experiment with almost two dozen songs, think too much, and only finish 11.
Last edited by Shiny on Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
strongallalong
Part clock and part man
Location: Right on that fine line between Genius and Insanity

Post by strongallalong »

If they put off the tour and the album release date for another year or so and had 20 songs on the album would you still be as happy?
ride the jont piece...
mystoneybaby
Taiyed Brodel

Post by mystoneybaby »

strongallalong wrote:If they put off the tour and the album release date for another year or so and had 20 songs on the album would you still be as happy?
absence makes the heart grow fonder.
Image :smurfin: :evil5:
greenmonkey911
Taiyed Brodel

Post by greenmonkey911 »

mystoneybaby wrote:
strongallalong wrote:If they put off the tour and the album release date for another year or so and had 20 songs on the album would you still be as happy?
absence makes the heart grow fonder.
On the scales of desire your (the album's) absence weighs
more than someone else's (tour's) presence

fits loosely
DoYouRight311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by DoYouRight311 »

very good point shiny
poolio
Taiyed Brodel

Post by poolio »

I would want it even more. I wouldn't mind another year delay if they put out a sick 20 track album.
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

i think the trick is not to analyze everything.. just take shit as it comes

i'm ultra-psyched for this new album.. i'll be on line waiting to purchase it on release day just like every other album that came out.
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
miT_311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by miT_311 »

i have a plan. the night before it comes out im going to listen to every album strait. then at about 5 am, i bike to target and pick it up. :wink:
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

Jordan311 wrote:What ever happened to it? Nothing ever happened to it. It was ONE album out of a soon to be eight that had that many tracks. If anything, Transistor was the out of place one, not the recent 11 track ones. So quit yer cryin'
It's not like 311 has been consistently putting out 21 track albums, and then now all of a sudden are putting out an 11 track one.
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
prsand311
Hear it all the time, come back rewind

Post by prsand311 »

Werent there something like 50 songs or so written for Transistor??? maybe more??? I thought I remembered reading that.

It seems like they only write 20 or so songs for their latest albums and then cut it down to 11 or 12.
greenmonkey911
Taiyed Brodel

Post by greenmonkey911 »

prsand311 wrote:Werent there something like 50 songs or so written for Transistor??? maybe more??? I thought I remembered reading that.

It seems like they only write 20 or so songs for their latest albums and then cut it down to 11 or 12.
there were a few outtakes, maybe 30 total songs at the max. many critics said that too many of the transistor tracks were "filler", which is untrue of course, so i guess 311 decided it was best to go with quality not quantity.
GOAT
Taiyed Brodel

Post by GOAT »

greenmonkey911 wrote:
prsand311 wrote:Werent there something like 50 songs or so written for Transistor??? maybe more??? I thought I remembered reading that.

there were a few outtakes, maybe 30 total songs at the max. many critics said that too many of the transistor tracks were "filler", which is untrue of course, so i guess 311 decided it was best to go with quality not quantity.
transistor was quality and quantity
Music's what i need to keep my sanity

:evil5:

Post by Guest »

Critics didn't like Transistor because it insulted them. :)