Why

Three Eleven.
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Why

Post by bcolephases »

the fuck is Get Down not on the regular edition of Uplifter? Beginning to like this album even more in the context of recent events. But damn I can't find the deluxe edition at used music stores in town.
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Uplifter Revisited

Post by bcolephases »

Can we take another look at this album? I know some of the lyrics are pretty cheesy but some of it is awesome, especially considering the disaster that DTOM was.
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Re: Why

Post by Shiny »

Yeah I've always felt like Uplifer is underrated. It wasn't just DTOM that lowered our expectations, it was them following that up a couple years later with "Reggae Got Soul". Also "Hey You" is a bullshit song in a similar vein to all of that, so when that single dropped I really thought I'd hate Uplifter. But it was really a pleasant surprise. There's crap on there but then there's "India Ink", "Jackpot", "Get Down", "Too Much Too Fast". Unpopular opinion, but I found Univeral Pulse to be the dud and Stereolithic to be boring middle-of-the-road shit. I listened to the latter a handful of times when it came out and I really couldn't tell you what songs jumped out. So for me, Mosaic and Uplifter are my favorite late-era albums.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

there are definitely some VERY strong tracks on the album, but the fact that the album also contains songs like It's Alright, Golden Sunlight, Daisy Cutter, Two Drops in The Ocean, and My Heart Sings drags it down to be one of the worst 311 albums to date.

Agree that Universal Pulse is mostly forgettable. I absolutely love Stereolithic though. I think that album was a spectactular return to form for 311 and really got them out of their rut from the last 3. Stereolithic was so good and probably the most excited I'd been for new 311 since DTOM days with all the demo hype.

Later
ImageImage
:evil5:
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Shiny »

Yeah while Stereolithic didn't really click for me, I'll give it credit for leading them to Mosaic. Stereo really wanted to be the "return to form album" and Mosaic is REALLY the return to form album in a big way.
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

Jordan311 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:51 am there are definitely some VERY strong tracks on the album, but the fact that the album also contains songs like It's Alright, Golden Sunlight, Daisy Cutter, Two Drops in The Ocean, and My Heart Sings drags it down to be one of the worst 311 albums to date.

Agree that Universal Pulse is mostly forgettable. I absolutely love Stereolithic though. I think that album was a spectactular return to form for 311 and really got them out of their rut from the last 3. Stereolithic was so good and probably the most excited I'd been for new 311 since DTOM days with all the demo hype.

Later
Ironically those are some of my fav songs from Uplifter. Hey You is kinda garbage tho. I think for me context matters a lot and the UP album art was a major turnoff. Lol