Til the City's on Fire

Three Eleven.
CodyComeaux
Taiyed Brodel

Re: Til the City's on Fire

Post by CodyComeaux »

Shiny wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:51 am
Jordan311 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:28 pm
JonnyG24 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:19 am What's with all the talk about singles? None of these songs are going to have mainstream success. Y'all living in the past. I like Mosaic a lot, but damn, 311 isn't going to get airplay. Let it go.

so true. It's hilarious when people get into debates saying "311 is trying a new style just to appeal to mainstream and get on the top charts" and shit like that. It's just not going to happen anymore. They're doing whatever they're doing because they want to and they can and the stuff they release sounds good to them.

Later
All of the singles mentioned in this thread at least have a... shot, if anything. The sound is radio-ready, the most consciously trendy material for pop radio they've probably ever released in its time. But you're both right... probably won't happen. I still like to think about how surreal it would be to hear late-stage 311 in a grocery store, lol. I think these songs have the most crossover potential for first time since Love Song; the only thing holding them back from an aggressive campaign to push them over the edge is the 'powers that be' rightfully not wanting to invest too much in a band of 50 year olds. If it happened, it would need to be more 'organic'.

The cynic in me still feels that bringing on Feldmann to help shape a few modern-sounding, radio-ready bangers was at least in SOME way an attempt to perfect a potential hit. That's what he's good for. I don't think this takes away from their integrity or anything like that... and these are still awesome tracks, not easy cop-outs. I feel like they saw this mainstream potential in a few of the ideas they were kicking around and perfected a Brochella anthem like "City's on Fire" and made the lil desert hipster "Too Much to Think" video just in case maybe those things caught on. There wasn't anything to lose, they still have us. None of this precludes them from doing what they wanted to do or takes away from the fact that this is an incredible album regardless of if we hear a new song in CVS soon or not. :lol:
You are an incredible writer, that explains things perfectly for the way I think about all of this, into words.

Spoken^♾
Spoken.
Unlabled
We catch the drift and ride moving tides

Post by Unlabled »

Noble attempt at bringing in a new style but this song is cringeworthy.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

It really isn't.
:evil5: TB>BB