$limmy listens to MOSAIC

Three Eleven.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

$limmy listens to MOSAIC

Post by $lmjimy311 »

I'll be posting my live review of the album. I'm at work so there will be multiple gaps.

Track 1. I'm skipping this track. I've heard this track. Next.
:evil5: TB>BB
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Re: $limmy listens to MOSAIC

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Wildfire.

God dammit, Nick has 0 rapping flow. Wish he would stop. This is a long ass fucking track. I like the change up in the middle. This song really redeemed itself after Nick stopped rapping. Okay guitar part at the end, I see you.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

The Night is Young.

There is something incredibly familiar about this beat. I can fuck with track. Very grungy sound. SA sounds entirely different in this and it's not in a bad way. God I'm gonna hate hearing this live and being in GA...all those smelly fuckers are gonna be moshing around in this and it's gonna suck. Fucking animals.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Island Sun.

I'm liking this too. Lives up to the name for sure. This almost reminds me a bit of From Chaos era 311. A bit of I'll be hear a while, Champagne, and Amber, but harder.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Perfect Mistake. Heard it. Loved it. Listened to it again.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Extension.

I really really like this on the initial run.

I should note that I'm barely listening to the lyrics because I'm trying to do work shit as well, so these reviews might all change. But in regards to the overall sound, so far we're batting 1.000.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Inside Our Home.

Oh lawd this is catchy as fuck. Nice hook here. There is 0 chance this isn't bumped constantly this summer.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Till the City's on Fire.

Uh...starting off kind of shitty. But again the music is on point. Just when I thought they'd fuck this shit up, they totally redeemed themselves. God damn I'm really liking this album.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Too Late.

Heard it already, moving on. Also, I hate that he says cannot instead of can't.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Hey Yo.

I hate this name. I'm gonna hate this song probably.

Alright this isn't that bad after all.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Places That the Mind Goes

Holy shit...this sounds amazing. The beat also sounds really really familiar on this one. I could see this as a commercial success too.
God dammit, I know the beginning of this song from somewhere else. Why can't I fucking think of it...
Got it. It sounds like Eighty Ninety - Three Thirty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTlNoAbm_FY
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Face in the Wind.

I like it, don't love it. Nice solo there at the end though
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Forever Now.

Don't like this one.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Days of 88

sounds like it's almost a...I forgot the name of that album I don't like...don't tread on me, that's right. It sounds like it's a b-side from that.

Not bad per se, but I don't like it that much. Definitely a weaker track on an album full of gems.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Syntax Error

This is much better. This is the one that Chad wrote right? Man, tons of rockers on this one. Feels so early 2000s. That isn't a bad thing.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

On a Roll

Didn't like that intro. Ew fake reggae voice. That aside, still enjoying this song. 311 seems to have really worked on their hooks. This is definitely intended to be a sing along live song.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

One and the Same.

I love the guitar work in this. SA really kills this one too.

I think they've done a much better job of incorporating both singers on this album.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

Thoughts and comments on jimy's review and a bit of my own on most of the tracks:

- You seem to love Extension but really dislike Nick's rapping on Wildfire. Personally I think Wildfire is top 10 311 songs of all time material. What about the rapping on Extension do you not find offensive, while finding Wildfire so hard to listen to? The rapping is fairly similar in both.

- The Night is Young: Love this track. It has the perfect mix of melodic and heavy jams. It reaches great heights in the end too with the outro jam. excellent song.

- Extension: Loved it when I heard the live version, and love the studio version even more. trippy and fun track. Lots of really cool sound effects and production tricks that you pick up on multiple listens

- Hey Yo: Sounds even better on the album than it did when we first heard it live. love it.

- Place that The Mind Goes: awesome chill jam. really cool vocal harmonies. Very original for 311. smooth and sexy. I much prefer this type of slow song over a sappy cringe-fest like My Heart Sings, or Two Drops in the Ocean.

- Island Sun: I agree. It's an absolutely perfect 311 summer jam. it hits all the right notes and has enough crunch to make it interesting in the chorus.

- Inside Our Home: hell yes. It's their best chill song since From Chaos era

- Til The City's on Fire: I have very mixed feelings about this track. On one hand its catchy and fun in a guilty pleasure sort of way, but I really hope they don't release it as a single. It's too much of a departure from their core sound and they'd get a LOT of hate from it if they did. It sounds like what 45 year old white dudes think modern pop/dance music sounds like.

- Face In The Wind: I think it's a standout favorite of the album. Has a major Soundsystem vibe and by far SA's best raps on the whole album. I love the energy. I think if you listen to it again in the frame of mind that it could be something off of Soundsystem you will like it more. I honestly think it's the most soundsystem-sounding song they've released since Soundsystem.

- Forever Now: I'm mostly indifferent on the majority of this track. it's enjoyable, but not a standout. I really like SA's singing when he goes "take a ride on a cosmic trip" though.

- Days of '88: I agreee that it seems like a reject from DTOM or something in that era. It's too bad because it's a mostly-SA track and I think he deserves better. the song seems jumbled and doesn't really flow very well. It feels like they had 3 different song ideas that they tried to cram into one track. Some of the redeemind factors is the jam at the end, and the guitar tone in the chorus is very transistor-ish.

- Syntax Error: actually I think this is one of the weakest tracks on the whole album. it's only 2 minutes long and basically just feels like 2 choruses and then it's over. And it's got that Thank Your Lucky Stars type sound in the chorus. The lyrics are not good at all. That whole "spellcheck, cut, copy, paste, erase, delete, paraphrase, summarize" section just makes me cringe. The redeeming factor is Chad's drumming in the 2nd half is really technically good and a difficult interesting beat.

- On A Roll: couldn't agree more with it being a fun live sing-a-long song. In terms of it being an album closer, I think it's a bit weak and cheesy. I like the sentiment and the meaning of the lyrics. Basically 311 saying they're not going anywhere anytime soon and the band will be around for a long time into the next stage of their journeys. Too many Whoa-oh-ohs for me, and SA's "we're gonna ride it out til the end" part reminds me of like Good Charlotte or something.

One and The Same: 10/10 track. One of the best on the albums and I think will be severely underrated. It's got a classic guns and roses feel in the lyrics and it starts real slow and deep and has a lot of space to breathe and ultimately builds up to be a great rocker.

Overall I think it's an amazing album. They hype surrounding it doesn't match up with Stereolithic but I think it's an incredible mix of songs and styles. With Stereolithic, it had such a good buzz because it was coming off the back of a 2-3 album slump of mediocre albums, so it really blew everyone away at the time. They raised the bar for themselves with 'lithic, so this album doesn't have the immediate "HOLY SHIT THIS IS AMAZING" feel that stereolithic did because we all expected them to release a solid album with Mosaic because we know they're capable of it again.

I'm really impressed with the fact that they're still experimenting so much at this stage of their career. Most bands at this point would be releasing albums that are predictable and formulaic with at best 1 or 2 standout tracks that actually add anything to their catalog, and I think 311 has released a full 17 tracks that are all memorable and mostly exciting in their own ways. A great mix of styles ranging from Transistor to Evolver, and a lot of From Chaos and Soundsystem. Nothing quite as raw or dirty as anything from their first 3 albums, but I think they've found a really good groove, and technically as musicians, they're still getting better and better. some of the guitar, bass and drum work on this album is better than anything they've ever done before.

Later
ImageImage
:evil5:
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Jordan311 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:36 pm
Thoughts and comments on jimy's review and a bit of my own on most of the tracks:

- You seem to love Extension but really dislike Nick's rapping on Wildfire. Personally I think Wildfire is top 10 311 songs of all time material. What about the rapping on Extension do you not find offensive, while finding Wildfire so hard to listen to? The rapping is fairly similar in both.

- The Night is Young: Love this track. It has the perfect mix of melodic and heavy jams. It reaches great heights in the end too with the outro jam. excellent song.

- Extension: Loved it when I heard the live version, and love the studio version even more. trippy and fun track. Lots of really cool sound effects and production tricks that you pick up on multiple listens

- Hey Yo: Sounds even better on the album than it did when we first heard it live. love it.

- Place that The Mind Goes: awesome chill jam. really cool vocal harmonies. Very original for 311. smooth and sexy. I much prefer this type of slow song over a sappy cringe-fest like My Heart Sings, or Two Drops in the Ocean.

- Island Sun: I agree. It's an absolutely perfect 311 summer jam. it hits all the right notes and has enough crunch to make it interesting in the chorus.

- Inside Our Home: hell yes. It's their best chill song since From Chaos era

- Til The City's on Fire: I have very mixed feelings about this track. On one hand its catchy and fun in a guilty pleasure sort of way, but I really hope they don't release it as a single. It's too much of a departure from their core sound and they'd get a LOT of hate from it if they did. It sounds like what 45 year old white dudes think modern pop/dance music sounds like.

- Face In The Wind: I think it's a standout favorite of the album. Has a major Soundsystem vibe and by far SA's best raps on the whole album. I love the energy. I think if you listen to it again in the frame of mind that it could be something off of Soundsystem you will like it more. I honestly think it's the most soundsystem-sounding song they've released since Soundsystem.

- Forever Now: I'm mostly indifferent on the majority of this track. it's enjoyable, but not a standout. I really like SA's singing when he goes "take a ride on a cosmic trip" though.

- Days of '88: I agreee that it seems like a reject from DTOM or something in that era. It's too bad because it's a mostly-SA track and I think he deserves better. the song seems jumbled and doesn't really flow very well. It feels like they had 3 different song ideas that they tried to cram into one track. Some of the redeemind factors is the jam at the end, and the guitar tone in the chorus is very transistor-ish.

- Syntax Error: actually I think this is one of the weakest tracks on the whole album. it's only 2 minutes long and basically just feels like 2 choruses and then it's over. And it's got that Thank Your Lucky Stars type sound in the chorus. The lyrics are not good at all. That whole "spellcheck, cut, copy, paste, erase, delete, paraphrase, summarize" section just makes me cringe. The redeeming factor is Chad's drumming in the 2nd half is really technically good and a difficult interesting beat.

- On A Roll: couldn't agree more with it being a fun live sing-a-long song. In terms of it being an album closer, I think it's a bit weak and cheesy. I like the sentiment and the meaning of the lyrics. Basically 311 saying they're not going anywhere anytime soon and the band will be around for a long time into the next stage of their journeys. Too many Whoa-oh-ohs for me, and SA's "we're gonna ride it out til the end" part reminds me of like Good Charlotte or something.

One and The Same: 10/10 track. One of the best on the albums and I think will be severely underrated. It's got a classic guns and roses feel in the lyrics and it starts real slow and deep and has a lot of space to breathe and ultimately builds up to be a great rocker.

Overall I think it's an amazing album. They hype surrounding it doesn't match up with Stereolithic but I think it's an incredible mix of songs and styles. With Stereolithic, it had such a good buzz because it was coming off the back of a 2-3 album slump of mediocre albums, so it really blew everyone away at the time. They raised the bar for themselves with 'lithic, so this album doesn't have the immediate "HOLY SHIT THIS IS AMAZING" feel that stereolithic did because we all expected them to release a solid album with Mosaic because we know they're capable of it again.

I'm really impressed with the fact that they're still experimenting so much at this stage of their career. Most bands at this point would be releasing albums that are predictable and formulaic with at best 1 or 2 standout tracks that actually add anything to their catalog, and I think 311 has released a full 17 tracks that are all memorable and mostly exciting in their own ways. A great mix of styles ranging from Transistor to Evolver, and a lot of From Chaos and Soundsystem. Nothing quite as raw or dirty as anything from their first 3 albums, but I think they've found a really good groove, and technically as musicians, they're still getting better and better. some of the guitar, bass and drum work on this album is better than anything they've ever done before.

Later

I need to go through this while listening to the album
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Jojo, you're right, listening to extension again, i do have a problem with nick's rapping on the 2nd verse when he goes low pitched and just essentially talks over a beat. Hated that part. i must have gotten caught up in work and missed that part. listened to the album twice today and hated that part each time.

i listened to places where the mind goes like 5 times today and that pnut liked my tweet in response to "places that the mind goes" makes me happy now that i realize that it was a reference to the song.