These new songs

Three Eleven.
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Re: These new songs

Post by Shiny »

To me, DTOM through Stereolithic was 311 playing it very safe. Some good songs here and there, but for over a decade everything felt very 'going through the motions' and straightforward. The formula still worked from time to time, but you could sense they were coasting.

Mosaic feels like they finally had a fire set under their ass and tried to experiment once again. The songs aren't totally straightforward... a good majority have totally separate sections that go in unexpected places but work well together. The electronic / sampling elements that they were perfecting on Transistor and Soundsystem, but gradually moved away from afterward, are present throughout and add so much variety to this album. I'll be the first to admit that I feel like Nick's singing is the weakest link here, just as it has been for a long time. Half of the time I really don't care about whatever sentimental stuff he goes on about, but I can ignore what I don't like from him for the instrumentals. Yes, dubstep wobbles haven't been cool in about 5 years now (if you ever even personally considered the genre to be cool) and there's a lot of other obvious attempts to bring in a 'modern sound' ("BURN BURN BURN!"). But that's what's so great about it all - they're actually trying shit that they haven't yet.

The album treads a thin line between corny as hell and brilliant. But take it for what it is. Pretty soon, these guys will be goddamn 50 years old. And they were able to find the motivation to step out of the middle-of-the-road retreading to throw together an album that doesn't quite sound like anything before it. For this all to come from an older band this late in the game is awesome. It feels like they're using 311 to experiment once again instead of sticking to the sound they think people want / expect from the band.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Calm the fuck down, Cody, people are allowed to have different opinions. Though Element's generally doesn't matter. Don't put your music all the way up to 100%, it's bad for your ears. You're an adult, be a bit more responsible. Using 311's lyrics to change someone's mind is never going to work. I love 311, but they aren't exactly Pac or anything.
:evil5: TB>BB
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

$lmjimy311 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:42 am Calm the fuck down, Cody, people are allowed to have different opinions. Though Element's generally doesn't matter. Don't put your music all the way up to 100%, it's bad for your ears. You're an adult, be a bit more responsible. Using 311's lyrics to change someone's mind is never going to work. I love 311, but they aren't exactly Pac or anything.
:lol:
dj3stripes
Taiyed Brodel

Post by dj3stripes »

bcolephases wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:35 pm Here's my 2 cents. I think Nick's voice and talk- singing/monotone rapping is mainly throwing me off. They get away with it on songs like Crack The Code but it just seemed more stylish back then.
Other than that, the actual music just isn't really that catchy. Again, seems uninspired.
Can't let this go unchecked. If you think Mosaic is uninspired please use something besides the least inspired album as evidence.... Evolver was about as boring as it gets in terms of musical creation, that is until DTOM came around and caused a 4 year album drought...

This album doesn't quit. Yes, it has styles that some may not have thought possible to wedge into a 311 song and it's exciting. We're not talking Love song trance remixes weird. The only songs that don't do it for me thus far are the 3 I've had on rotation in the weeks leading up to this.

I really enjoy listening from start to finish as they all seem to transition well into each other which hasn't really been done much on a 311 album since what, transistor?
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

dj3stripes wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:23 pm
bcolephases wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:35 pm Here's my 2 cents. I think Nick's voice and talk- singing/monotone rapping is mainly throwing me off. They get away with it on songs like Crack The Code but it just seemed more stylish back then.
Other than that, the actual music just isn't really that catchy. Again, seems uninspired.
Can't let this go unchecked. If you think Mosaic is uninspired please use something besides the least inspired album as evidence.... Evolver was about as boring as it gets in terms of musical creation, that is until DTOM came around and caused a 4 year album drought...

This album doesn't quit. Yes, it has styles that some may not have thought possible to wedge into a 311 song and it's exciting. We're not talking Love song trance remixes weird. The only songs that don't do it for me thus far are the 3 I've had on rotation in the weeks leading up to this.

I really enjoy listening from start to finish as they all seem to transition well into each other which hasn't really been done much on a 311 album since what, transistor?
Regardless, I'll forever consider myself an "old school" 311 fan. They've made too much good music to let this get me down. But no, I'd probably never try to turn someone onto them by playing the last 3 or 4 records.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Ay, don't you shit on Evolver now. You're allowed to have an opinion, but you aren't allowed to be flat out wrong.
CodyComeaux
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CodyComeaux »

$lmjimy311 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:15 pm Ay, don't you shit on Evolver now. You're allowed to have an opinion, but you aren't allowed to be flat out wrong.
ROFLMMFAO!!!!

Yeah... Evolver only has the best 311 Live song EVER created - Creatures.
Agreed.
Plus Evolver was the 1st album for me to begin getting the underground demos, etc... early 😂😂

"Days Of 'AIM"
Last edited by CodyComeaux on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoken.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

I hate all of you
CodyComeaux
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CodyComeaux »

I've found that from personal experience of always driving everyone around everywhere, since age 16 and ME controlling the audio bc they never paid for gas money, by always playing 311,
That the best albums to get people into 311 from scratch, or MORE into 311 are:

*In No particular order of best*

-Stereolithic
-Transistor
-Soundsystem
-Blue
-Grassroots
-Uplifter

This is from album circulating of all 311, for testing, research.

If I had any opinion in this, From Chaos would be there, bc it's one of my favorites even with Amber getting skipped.

👇👇👇Check the sig. 👇👇👇
Spoken.
CodyComeaux
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CodyComeaux »

My sig. lyrics meaning can be related in a more aggressive quote from One and the Same.

ONE AND THE SAME
IS THE YIN AND THE YANG
COMPRISING EVERYTHING

Pray to God
There's some other parts
That's why we got this far

VITAL
TO THE SURVIVAL
OF THE HUMAN RACE

THAT'S WHY we're lettin em know

Scream in your FUCKIN FACE!
Spoken.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

I will never get in a car with you...ever.
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

OATS: my new favorite 311 song title acronym.
CodyComeaux
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CodyComeaux »

bcolephases wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:57 pm OATS: my new favorite 311 song title acronym.
Amen.
Spoken.
CodyComeaux
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CodyComeaux »

$lmjimy311 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:47 pm I will never get in a car with you...ever.
Since 2009, that's been a common theme with everyone that I know, being that one of my eyes fell out that year. Literally.
Ask the car insurance companies if it's safe to ride in the car with me! Hahaha.
Their business bank accounts would say "No".

Hey, if I'm driving on I-10 on Christmas Eve 2015, at 10pm darkness, going East to visit my family in South Louisiana for the holidays
And once I reach Baytown, a wild lion
Yes, wild LION
Literally runs across the freeway from right to left
In attempt to make a statement to the human race that cats have 9 lives.

(He was listening to Rage Against the Machine that night)

However, is unintentionally proven wrong by the Front-Right of my Nissan Sentra....

How imma avoid that shit?!
FUCK YOU PROGRESSIVE INSURANCE!
I'm with the friendly neighbors of State Farm for life, cuz they have the resume and years experience behind their belts!
Plus, they're staff from retail to call center employees are really f'n cool, nice, educated, informative, and have empathy.
State Farm's human resources department s fuckin ELITE!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:cyclopsani:
Spoken.
CodyComeaux
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CodyComeaux »

***BETWEEN MARS AND JUPITER TB quote under my user name! Fuck yes!

6 Protons
6 Neutrons
6 ELECTRONS

are encoded on this planet we live on.

666(Carbon) as my college Chemistry education tells me.
Spoken.
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

CodyComeaux wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:05 pm
Since 2009, that's been a common theme with everyone that I know, being that one of my eyes fell out that year. Literally.
Fooled me.
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Shiny »

$lmjimy311 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:47 pm I will never get in a car with you...ever.
Ask the car insurance companies if it's safe to ride in the car with me! Hahaha.

Hey, if I'm driving on I-10 on Christmas Eve 2015, at 10pm darkness, going East to visit my family in South Louisiana for the holidays
Yes, wild LION

However, is unintentionally proven wrong by the Front-Right of my Nissan Sentra....

I'm with the friendly neighbors of State Farm for life, cuz they have the resume and years experience behind their belts!
Plus, they're staff from retail to call center employees are really f'n cool, nice, educated, informative, and have empathy.

holy shit, this is the realest post ever written on this forum. thanks for sharing this
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImage
:evil5:
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

Yes, wild LION

holy fuck this is too good. I need more cody stories in my life

Later
ImageImage
:evil5:
CodyComeaux
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CodyComeaux »

Appreciate it.
I'll just comment on my life and what happened and happens in it.
My life's a Fuckin comedy.
I'm just the translator.
Spoken.