Now that the honeymoon is over

Three Eleven.
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Now that the honeymoon is over

Post by Smoke »

How are we all feeling about Stereolithic?

I'm still loving the album and finding new aspects of it that I enjoy everyday. Songs are moving back and forth as top hits for me. I think my favorites at this point are

Boom Shanka
The call
Friday Afternoon
The Great Divide
Made in the Shade

But I'm really digging the whole album. I'm still listening to it straight through and not skipping any songs. SO it's already different than the last few albums for me. My only fear is that many of these songs are not going to sound to great live, but I'm excited to see them try.
Last edited by Smoke on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
tred311
Taiyed Brodel

Re: Now that the honeymoon is over

Post by tred311 »

Still great...sorting out my favorites from my not so favorites but really dig them all. Solid solid album. Great job by the guys! :bounce:
"Never miss an opportunity to keep your mouth shut"
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

I still really haven't been listening to anything else but stereolithic. Aside from a couple other random tunes, and some podcasts.

Why do you say that the new stuff wouldn't sound good live? The ones I heard at 311 day sounded great.

Later
ImageImage
:evil5:
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

Jordan311 wrote:I still really haven't been listening to anything else but stereolithic. Aside from a couple other random tunes, and some podcasts.

Why do you say that the new stuff wouldn't sound good live? The ones I heard at 311 day sounded great.

Later
I don't know, so much going on in the songs, they seem much more complicated than there last efforts. Also I think I'm hearing auto-tune on more than just Tranquility
GOAT
Taiyed Brodel

Post by GOAT »

It still jams. I finally mixed it up yesterday and put all of 311 on random. Still got excited when anything off of stereolithic played.
Music's what i need to keep my sanity

$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

I love this album.
:evil5: TB>BB
pnutwannabe
Taiyed Brodel

Post by pnutwannabe »

Smoke wrote:
Jordan311 wrote:I still really haven't been listening to anything else but stereolithic. Aside from a couple other random tunes, and some podcasts.

Later
I don't know, so much going on in the songs, they seem much more complicated than there last efforts. Also I think I'm hearing auto-tune on more than just Tranquility
You'd be amazed how much auto-tune is used in album recording as a whole.

The songs sounded great live at 311 Day. I'm excited to hear what the others sound live. As for the album I'm not listening to it as much as I did before 311 Day, but I'm still listening to it and enjoying it.

Tehshewz
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Tehshewz »

I'm very curious to hear what it sounds like live.

Ive been listening to it since the leak, and the CD has been stuck on repeat in my car.

I cant get enough of this.
8/24/05, 6/30/09, 11/21/09,7/10/2010,7/13/2010,10/20/2010,10/21/2010,
**311 Cruise 2011**, 7/31/2012, 8/4/2012, 07/10/2013
311silver
Listen to everyone then disregard it

Post by 311silver »

Wait, 311 came out with a new album??!!
03-11-08, 03-11-04, 03-11-02, 03-11-00, 12-02-1999, 12-01-1999, 05-22-1996, 10-30-1994
Shadow OSX
Let's think of all the good times

Post by Shadow OSX »

Yeah I agree with most. This album is more complex. Normally I can listen to a 311 album twice and get it and know what the gems are. This one has taken 4 or 5 listens to get that, and I'm still not there. But I definitely like this. Usually with each album there is a song that keeps me coming back. It's like my anchor. For Uplifter it was Get Down and UP it was Wild Nights, I'm thinking for this one it is Make It Rough.

My favorites at this point are (1. being most):

1. Make It Rough
Ebb and Flow
Friday Afternoon
The Call
Tranquility

Obviously I like Five of Everything and Showdown, but I heard those prior to album release and thought I would just list the ones that I hadn't heard.
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

311silver wrote:Wait, 311 came out with a new album??!!
You're joking, right?
logosteel
Taiyed Brodel

Post by logosteel »

$lmjimy311 wrote:I love this album.
I really do as well. At first there were a few I was "meh" about, but that was typically because the verse was not bringing me in TIL the chorus....hooked. Love it. Would wait the same amount of time if they could put another record out like this again.
CodyComeaux
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CodyComeaux »

Smoke wrote:How are we all feeling about Stereolithic?

I'm still loving the album and finding new aspects of it that I enjoy everyday. Songs are moving back and forth as top hits for me. I think my favorites at this point are

Boom Shanka
The call
Friday Afternoon
The Great Divide
Made in the Shade

But I'm really digging the whole album. I'm still listening to it straight through and not skipping any songs. SO it's already different than the last few albums for me. My only fear is that many of these songs are not going to sound to great live, but I'm excited to see them try.

THIS ^^^^^^^
Yeah there's a few that's gonna be interesting live, with the effects on a few songs...

My top five CURRENTLY
-The Great Divide
-First Dimension
-Friday Afternoon
-Boom Shanka
-Existential Hero
Spoken.
Alvarez311
Everything I'm sayin' you can dismiss

Post by Alvarez311 »

still a great album. Songs that really grew on me....The Call (i really like it now)....First Dimension (i liked it before, but more now) Tranquility really grew on me....still think it could have been twice as long with more verses too. Five of Everything is a track that I like more as time goes on, mainly because we heard it first... Sand Dollars REALLY grew....wish that part at the end was done twice or 3 times because its slick.
"Be positive and love your life"
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

My biggest disappointment in the album is...some of the songs seem to just end, when I think they really could have continued as an instrumental for a little bit or maybe even bled into the next song, which would have added more cohesiveness to the album.

This is truly a minor disappointment, cause I love the album and I love the songs.
logosteel
Taiyed Brodel

Post by logosteel »

Smoke wrote:My biggest disappointment in the album is...some of the songs seem to just end, when I think they really could have continued as an instrumental for a little bit or maybe even bled into the next song, which would have added more cohesiveness to the album.

This is truly a minor disappointment, cause I love the album and I love the songs.
I feel the exact same way, just when I'm expecting that Tim solo to go nuts. Ends. Song over.
Alvarez311
Everything I'm sayin' you can dismiss

Post by Alvarez311 »

yeah, i feel the same way. almost if they did have to Rush it to get it completed by 3/11. I would have rather had it given another once over to extend things that really feel should be extended, and especially blending songs into the next make a great album experience. But still its a solid album........but like, taking a total break from it at THIS point, and then doing those last round of final touches would have put this album in the books as one of the greats.....but still :D
"Be positive and love your life"
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

logosteel wrote:
Smoke wrote:My biggest disappointment in the album is...some of the songs seem to just end, when I think they really could have continued as an instrumental for a little bit or maybe even bled into the next song, which would have added more cohesiveness to the album.

I feel the exact same way, just when I'm expecting that Tim solo to go nuts. Ends. Song over.
:thumbup: :311love:
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
mary
Taiyed Brodel

Post by mary »

:)
Last edited by mary on Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mindspin
But needles never ever love

Post by Mindspin »

Smoke wrote:How are we all feeling about Stereolithic?

I'm still loving the album and finding new aspects of it that I enjoy... SO it's already different than the last few albums for me.
I honestly expected an album with only a handful of songs I liked and feared there would be none that I loved. Stereolithic is a SO much better album than I expected. There is more rapping on the album than I expected. Once I removed the 3 songs I wasn't getting into from the playlist, the other 12 songs flow for me as an good 311 album, and some days I have a hard time resisting the urge to play it more than once. (I don't want to burn it out.) My fave songs at the moment? Only about half the album...

Showdown
Boom Shanka
The Great Divide
Simple True
First Dimension
Made in the Shade
Existential Hero

I'm really starting to feel this album is the dawning of a new age for 311, the "independent era" perhaps? I am now more optimistic there is more good new 311 music to be made in the future. But I still won't get my hopes up too much because after From Chaos I felt this way with Evolver, but then DTOM happened and lowered the bar drastically, with the next two releases not raising it a whole lot.

But for now I'm just enjoying this album.
09/12/95, 09/15/95, 08/17/97, 11/26/99, 03/08/00, 06/09/00, 11/11/00, 09/23/01, 08/18/02, 07/24/03, 08/01/03, 10/27/03, 03/11/04, 07/13/04, 08/14/05, 08/08/06, 08/02/07, 07/13/08, 06/17/09, 06/24/2010, 07/05/13 = 21 shows

Everything you do, it comes back to you, whatever it may be
To just know hate, well that's so sad. What a life, strife
There's much power in anger, but love's a bigger banger
It's a waste to be a hater
All the angst shit is just cheesy
Be positive
Take on the Love and the good Karma
Suckas look up to thugs, they like the attitude... the harder they act just to hide their insecurity
The only thing you always try to be is hard, because you're scared that someone might pull your card
I don’t dis people, I dis ideas. And when I say dis I mean disagree