let's go smoke some pot is not 311
Music's what i need to keep my sanity

:evil5:
logosteel
Taiyed Brodel

Re: I want to make a playlist of 311's worst songs

Post by logosteel »

GOAT wrote:let's go smoke some pot is not 311
Yeah. Saw that float around on Kazaa and shit 7 years ago. Doesn't even sound close to them
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

I'm really surprised you guys dislike a lot of the songs you have on there, and including b-sides, rare and unreleased tracks just seems like you're nit picking to me.
But here's my list

All of Uplifter (I just really think this album is soulless garbage (sorry guys))
except "Get Down", "sun comes through", and "How long has it been"

Leaving Babylon ( I just never liked this song, ever)

and most lead singles from all albums. I'm really tired of hearing down. This has more to do with how many times I've heard these songs live and I'm just really really tired of them. It would be great to have a concert without hearing "Down", "Come original", "Don't tread on me", "Creatures (for awhile), etc..
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

Smoke wrote:Leaving Babylon ( I just never liked this song, ever)
does that song even count? it's a cover
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

fatlip wrote:
Smoke wrote:Leaving Babylon ( I just never liked this song, ever)
does that song even count? it's a cover
It is a cover, not sure it should or shouldn't count since I never heard the original.
GOAT
Taiyed Brodel

Post by GOAT »

i like em all... Hold on, lemme clear nick's cum out my throat... Nope, still like em all

FreeRayLiotta
Taiyed Brodel

Post by FreeRayLiotta »

I know there are a ton of important albums that I have never heard - but the Bad Brains self titled album is something all of you should know. Each 311 member knows it by heart. Adam Yauch calls it the best punk rock album of all time. Bad Brains are the shit.
Last edited by fatlip on Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed youtube embed
Rock for Light
$ayzak
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $ayzak »

FrixHex311 wrote:Wow. It's getting ok now? Count me in? Not to me... And amber was an amazing song until it got radio big.

But all the rest yes.
Yeah, It's getting ok now gives me a splitting headache. Even thinking about the song hurts.
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

FreeRayLiotta wrote:

I know there are a ton of important albums that I have never heard - but the Bad Brains self titled album is something all of you should know. Each 311 member knows it by heart. Adam Yauch calls it the best punk rock album of all time. Bad Brains are the shit.
no one on this board is going to appreciate the original btw.. or even bad brains in general
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
GOAT
Taiyed Brodel

Post by GOAT »

in the 11 or 12 years i've known of this song i've never heard the original. I gave up trying to find it before youtube got big. Thanks for posting it. I like the original. I guess nick just tries to mimic all the artists that 311 covers. The only originality that 311 put into it was all the added effects.

FreeRayLiotta
Taiyed Brodel

Post by FreeRayLiotta »

yeah - i know stuff like this is lost on most people... it took me years to really get it after I first bought it. i LOVE bad brains. I think HR, in his day, was as good as anyone who ever stepped up to the mic. the range, the energy, originality. from barks and growls to high pitched screams and deep bellowing gospel sounding shit.

which brings me to a question - what was 311's innovation (the innovator came to stay)? dancehall rock? 2 singers that rap and sing?

what did they do that the clash didn't already do?
Rock for Light
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

fatlip wrote:
FreeRayLiotta wrote:

no one on this board is going to appreciate the original btw.. or even bad brains in general
sounded good enough to me. but having heard the 311 version first and for so long at that, you're right im not going to appreciate this as much as i probably should. but for what its worth, it did sound pretty straight.
:evil5: TB>BB
PeaNutzCool
The fish who keeps on swimming

Post by PeaNutzCool »

Holy shit you fuckin people are crazy.
SoundSalad
Electrified by the sound

Post by SoundSalad »

chaos-clarity wrote:i disagree with its alright that songs not bad same with solar flares. and idk why anyone would put ill be here a while as one of their worst songs. this is my short list.

evolution
lets go smoke some pot(fucking awful)
hey you
nick hex
jacks
You can cross off let's go smoke some pot because 311 didn't do that one.

The Clash never rapped. So that's one thing.
I'm a white boy so I do like the big butt.
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

It's not that I don't appreciate Bad Brains, it's that I never enjoyed their music.
CoconutBackwards
I go on step lightly even when I'm heavy

Post by CoconutBackwards »

Evolution
Jackpot
Livin and Rockin

Livin' and Rockin' is the worst by far
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

hahaha at the kid who thought lets go smoke some pot was 311...do you even know what 311 sounds like? i believe it was pennywise that did that song
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

ska wrote:
$lmjimy311 wrote:hahaha at the kid who thought lets go smoke some pot was 311...do you even know what 311 sounds like? i believe it was pennywise that did that song
Do you even know what Pennywise sounds like? It was a band by the name of Dash Rip Rock.
Pennywise was so 90's!
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

ska wrote:
$lmjimy311 wrote:hahaha at the kid who thought lets go smoke some pot was 311...do you even know what 311 sounds like? i believe it was pennywise that did that song
Do you even know what Pennywise sounds like? It was a band by the name of Dash Rip Rock.

hahaha. i actually don't know what they sound like. that was the only song i know from them and per google, your boys dash rip rock covered them. so was it really them that did it originally? or was it pennywise?
311_4_unity
Sometimes jacks rule the realm

Post by 311_4_unity »

FreeRayLiotta wrote:yeah - i know stuff like this is lost on most people... it took me years to really get it after I first bought it. i LOVE bad brains. I think HR, in his day, was as good as anyone who ever stepped up to the mic. the range, the energy, originality. from barks and growls to high pitched screams and deep bellowing gospel sounding shit.

which brings me to a question - what was 311's innovation (the innovator came to stay)? dancehall rock? 2 singers that rap and sing?

what did they do that the clash didn't already do?

they made it accessible? going back to music...they were essentially doing the same thing bad brains was accept they were white(mostly) and they had better production value which instantly made it more easy to digest. plus the fad didn't seem to catch on till the early to mid 90's. my take on it anyways. for what its worth i didn't fully appreciate bad brains till i could step into that mindset of "wow, what would this have sounded like if i'd been of mind and age when it came out?" with freeray now though, fucking love me some bad brains.
"To Mean People, I Say Choke On It, Gagging All The Way. May You Remember The Texture For Days"