311 Guitar Archive?

Three Eleven.
KillerBoots
Music's What I Need to Keep my Sanity

311 Guitar Archive?

Post by KillerBoots »

Anyone remember that place? It was hosted by some dude that went to Colorado State. Back in the mid to late 90's, they had every song tabbed out...learned a lot of songs from that site.
Mother Nature is a hateful whore.
logosteel
Taiyed Brodel

Re: 311 Guitar Archive?

Post by logosteel »

Yup. I assume it's offline now
GOAT
Taiyed Brodel

Post by GOAT »

some of those tabs were just terrible but the were definately a good guide. I had to figure a lot on my own.
Music's what i need to keep my sanity

:evil5:
KillerBoots
Music's What I Need to Keep my Sanity

Post by KillerBoots »

GOAT wrote:some of those tabs were just terrible but the were definately a good guide. I had to figure a lot on my own.
Amen! A LOT of correction, but it was a good starting point...
Mother Nature is a hateful whore.
CoconutBackwards
I go on step lightly even when I'm heavy

Post by CoconutBackwards »

I loved that website.

I was on there constantly
SoundSalad
Electrified by the sound

Post by SoundSalad »

That website was great. It was http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~slusarz/311/311.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The main site was moved to http://bigworm.colorado.edu/311archive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, but I can't seem to get Wayback Machine to access anything :(
I'm a white boy so I do like the big butt.
FrixHex311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by FrixHex311 »

Big worm. Isn't he the guy from the movie Friday haha
3/9/02, 9/4/02, 7/21/03, 8/27/03
8/7/05, 9/11/05, 3/11/06, 9/3/06
7/4/07, 7/5/07, 3/11/08, 7/24/08
5/12/09, 12/5/09, 3/11/10, 7/13/12
7/29/14, 8/2/15, 8/5/16
311 The best no CONTEST!
antism
I am sly in the mix I am the mix master

Post by antism »

God yes! I practically taught myself to play guitar using that site. Well that and Alice in Chains' Unplugged album.
verytallmidget
I'm a cat nippin sippin on the flask

Post by verytallmidget »

Tabs are great and all, but does anyone actually know how to read music?

I started to learn when I was in 7th grade and was pretty sharp at it by early 9th grade.

No offense, but if you cant read music or when I ask you to play something in G sharp and you look at me with blank stare, your not a musician.

Thats just the way I feel about it. My guitar instructor was very anti-tabs and stated that there is no point in learning to play music if you have to "cheat" to play it.
antism
I am sly in the mix I am the mix master

Post by antism »

Great opinion, but music wasn't created with notation...it was created with emotion. I know plenty of people who can't play a song (piano, guitar etc) without a piece of sheet music in front of them. Ask them to write something themselves and they'll give a blank stare. I feel sorry for someone who can't listen to a song once and recreate it within 5 minutes without notation or tabs.

Sidenote...there are plenty of great artists who can't write a lick of notation. And really you don't need to learn to read music to understand music theory. Anyone who calls themselves a musician should be able to play in AT LEAST any major or minor scale.
verytallmidget

Post by verytallmidget »

I agree with you antism, but when it comes to lyric writing - I am heinous at it.

I have a plethora of music to play that I have created myself! Like I said, tabs are great for people who just want to horse around at music, but it gets under my skin when I go in to my local sam ash or guitar center and hear people saying: "How did that lick go again?" "G string 6, 5, 4 - B string 6, 5, 4 etc, etc"

Between my PRS, Fender, and DiPinto guitars paired up with a Line 6 looper delay mod, Q-Tron+, Super Octaver, and Line 6 Floorboard with my Spider IV - I think I can and have created some pretty groovy tunes.

So we see pretty eye-to-eye on this one, but then again there are people who are serious about playing music and people that are casual. But I think you know what I mean when you see someone playing a guitar and people are like: "ZOMG HE IS GODDZZZ AT GUITARZZ!" But in your head you literally know that person doesnt the difference between a vibrato and an arpeggio!
Last edited by verytallmidget on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
CoconutBackwards

verytallmidget wrote:Tabs are great and all, but does anyone actually know how to read music?

I started to learn when I was in 7th grade and was pretty sharp at it by early 9th grade.

No offense, but if you cant read music or when I ask you to play something in G sharp and you look at me with blank stare, your not a musician.

Thats just the way I feel about it. My guitar instructor was very anti-tabs and stated that there is no point in learning to play music if you have to "cheat" to play it.

Hhahaha. Why does "this dude" always show up in threads like these?

I'm glad you aren't "cheating" through life like the rest of us are, Breh
CoconutBackwards

antism wrote:Great opinion, but music wasn't created with notation...it was created with emotion. I know plenty of people who can't play a song (piano, guitar etc) without a piece of sheet music in front of them. Ask them to write something themselves and they'll give a blank stare. I feel sorry for someone who can't listen to a song once and recreate it within 5 minutes without notation or tabs.

Sidenote...there are plenty of great artists who can't write a lick of notation. And really you don't need to learn to read music to understand music theory. Anyone who calls themselves a musician should be able to play in AT LEAST any major or minor scale.

I guess you should feel sorry for me. Although, I don't...
verytallmidget

Post by verytallmidget »

CoconutBackwards wrote:
verytallmidget wrote:Tabs are great and all, but does anyone actually know how to read music?

Do you not see me having a conversation with someone and as usual I get attacked in whatever thread I post in. Was your name ever mentioned between our conversation, no? So why?
CoconutBackwards

verytallmidget wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

Do you not see me having a conversation with someone and as usual I get attacked in whatever thread I post in. Was your name ever mentioned between our conversation, no? So why?
I guess I did take it as an attack which I probably shouldn't have.

I don't know how to read sheet music. I just know how to play guitar through using tabs and ONCE IN AWHILE I figure out a song on my own.

When you started saying that people that can't read sheet music are "cheaters" and aren't "musicians" is right around the time I got offended.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

:evil5: TB>BB
verytallmidget

Post by verytallmidget »

Its not an attack at all. We were just having a conversation.

BUT, there is a difference between people who can read sheet music and can't.

Casual guitar players would be a description for people who learn to play via tabs.

Musicians are people who know how to read sheet music and understand key, tone, tempo, scales, arpeggios, etc.

Is that a better description? Again, its not an attack, just stating facts?

Casual is someone who isnt too serious about it, right?

People who spend time time and money to take lessons, learn how to read sheet music, and have a further understanding of music would make them a lot more than casual, right?

Also, the only reason why I posted pictures of myself in that one thread was for two reasons:

Someone stated that I was probably "a fat and lazy piece of shit kid" then when I posted pictures of myself, I was accused of falsely posting pictures of someone else (which happens all the time anyway.) Therefore I took another holding up that RyHex's name on a piece of paper to prove that I wasn't BS-ing. If there is one thing that I do take pride in is my physical condition, I've worked my ass for years to look like that so when people falsely accuse me - it hits a nerve.
CoconutBackwards

$lmjimy311 wrote:Image

Hhahahhahahaa
CoconutBackwards

verytallmidget wrote:Its not an attack at all. We were just having a conversation.

BUT, there is a difference between people who can read sheet music and can't.

Casual guitar players would be a description for people who learn to play via tabs.

Musicians are people who know how to read sheet music and understand key, tone, tempo, scales, arpeggios, etc.

Is that a better description? Again, its not an attack, just stating facts?

Casual is someone who isnt too serious about it, right?

People who spend time time and money to take lessons, learn how to read sheet music, and have a further understanding of music would make them a lot more than casual, right?

Also, the only reason why I posted pictures of myself in that one thread was for two reasons:

Someone stated that I was probably "a fat and lazy piece of shit kid" then when I posted pictures of myself, I was accused of falsely posting pictures of someone else (which happens all the time anyway.) Therefore I took another holding up that RyHex's name on a piece of paper to prove that I wasn't BS-ing. If there is one thing that I do take pride in is my physical condition, I've worked my ass for years to look like that so when people falsely accuse me - it hits a nerve.
I can agree with the "casual" part.
logosteel
Taiyed Brodel

Post by logosteel »

Been playing guitar since I was 13 and my teacher was a pot smoker from the 60s. Never taught us how to read music. So is it lazy? Yeah, but that's how I learned so suck it