"Mid-Life Dreams to Bring Back Ron Saint"

Three Eleven.
SoundSalad
Electrified by the sound

Re: "Mid-Life Dreams to Bring Back Ron Saint"

Post by SoundSalad »

Siberian Khatru wrote:DTOM is 311's worst album by far. Uplifter is one of the best. I'm tired of everyone bashing on Uplifter. It's better than mediocre Evolver, DTOM and I'm pretty sure UP as well.

Sun Come Through is one of the best 311 tracks ever and by itself is better than DTOM (Ron Saint).

The problem with 311 is that their b-sides often times end up being better than songs on album releases. I think they are trying too hard. I'll bet we could put together a better album out of the 50 demos they recorded for UP than the band did themselves.

They need to stop trying to get radio play and just cater to their evergrowing fan base which spreads through word of mouth and not through the radio.

P.S - Grassroots is terrible too.

What the fuck did I just read.

I agree, Sun Comes Through is one of their best songs in a long time.

Grassroots is just a classic though. It blows my mind that you think it sucks. Give it another listen?

I'm surprised you think they are trying too hard, but yet you love Uplifter. Nick is quoted as saying Bob Rock makes their songs more simple and enjoyable for the masses. Bob Rock worked on Uplifter and UP.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion...just throwin in my 2 cents.
I'm a white boy so I do like the big butt.
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Shiny »

are you guys seriously having an earnest conversation about this
SoundSalad
Electrified by the sound

Post by SoundSalad »

Shiny wrote:are you guys seriously having an earnest conversation about this
...maybe... :oops:
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Shiny »

soundsalad, suck me
DrewTube
Let the Games Begin

Post by DrewTube »

As for the guy that loved Uplifter, WTF. Everyone has their opinions I guess but this is the one album that I would say upwards of 80 percent of 311 fans agree is abysmal. The lyrics are some of the worse of all time and almost every song is almost not listenable at this point. By far their cheesiest album to date.
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Shiny »

'too much too fast' was the most interesting thing 311 had done in a long time
FrixHex311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by FrixHex311 »

I really don't get the hate for this album. I think the lyrics are great and songs are great.
3/9/02, 9/4/02, 7/21/03, 8/27/03
8/7/05, 9/11/05, 3/11/06, 9/3/06
7/4/07, 7/5/07, 3/11/08, 7/24/08
5/12/09, 12/5/09, 3/11/10, 7/13/12
7/29/14, 8/2/15, 8/5/16
311 The best no CONTEST!
Layzer
I rock like this, I flow like that

Post by Layzer »

Siberian Khatru wrote:
P.S - Grassroots is terrible too.
I hate you
Byew-Byew Layzer beam
SoundSalad
Electrified by the sound

Post by SoundSalad »

Shiny wrote:soundsalad, suck me
Sook you? No, you sook meeee!
Siberian Khatru
Cruise on by the Frowners

Post by Siberian Khatru »

I like 3 songs on grassroots. The recording blows. It's disappointing too because Eddie Offord was involved. I loved From Chaos but didn't like Evolver. I loved Uplifter but don't like Universal Pulse (so far.)

As far as Uplifters lyrics being cheesy I don't really put a lot into lyrics. The lyrics on Universal Pulse are definitely better but after 5 listens through I can safely put the album away and not listen to it again for a few days. I am very disappointed. I think if the album was say 14 tracks i might have a different opinion but 8 tracks is too short and these songs are too simple. I'm going to start each track and see when the chorus comes in. I'm willing to bet that it's all around the same time.

Pure cookie cutter garbage. 311 has their fans. They don't need to be fighting for radio play anymore. Everyone I have shown Universal Pulse to has not been blown away by any means. I experienced the opposite when playing Uplifter. I say give me that concept album and fuck shorter albums more often. I'm drunk.
thenazzbrodels
The word that I heard was so absurd

Post by thenazzbrodels »

Siberian Khatru wrote:I like 3 songs on grassroots. The recording blows. It's disappointing too because Eddie Offord was involved. I loved From Chaos but didn't like Evolver. I loved Uplifter but don't like Universal Pulse (so far.)

As far as Uplifters lyrics being cheesy I don't really put a lot into lyrics. The lyrics on Universal Pulse are definitely better but after 5 listens through I can safely put the album away and not listen to it again for a few days. I am very disappointed. I think if the album was say 14 tracks i might have a different opinion but 8 tracks is too short and these songs are too simple. I'm going to start each track and see when the chorus comes in. I'm willing to bet that it's all around the same time.

Pure cookie cutter garbage. 311 has their fans. They don't need to be fighting for radio play anymore. Everyone I have shown Universal Pulse to has not been blown away by any means. I experienced the opposite when playing Uplifter. I say give me that concept album and fuck shorter albums more often. I'm drunk.
You're gay.
Siberian Khatru

Sorry Nazz. You're wrong. Evolver was weak. 311 is never going to make another Grassroots. Thank god for that. :lol:
oldschool311
If you're feelin' sick we got the elixir

Post by oldschool311 »

What the fuck is going on here?? Either people are completely ignorant musically or they have a warped perception of reality.
Lets break this down so everyone can understand it:
1. Grassroots is 311 at their best, along side with their trippy more prog elements of the masterpiece transistor.
2. Music has Sexton trying to prove his chops, and does so amazingly.
3. Blue is 311 being lazy, but still nailing the shit out of their sound.
4. Soundsystem is the last great record from 311, following Transistor did not help it, but its great and the lyrics hadn't fallen off completely yet.

5. From Chaos....post Nick Hexum throat surgery, depression, and the beginning of a new lazyness lyrically....the cheese starts to officially emerge.
6. Evolver....not 311, but the first completely Hexum driven quest for sappy singer songer writer bs that is overall just weak.
7. DTOM....the band is not getting along, Nick is alienating himself, sa is beginning to let us down slowly but surely, sexton no longer cares about sounding like a sick drummer.
8. Uplifter....the lyrics are so awful its embarrassing.....more cookie cutter formats with tooooo many choruses.
9. Universal Pulse.....sexton changed his drum sound so bad, that it honestly could be another drummer all together...no innovation or chops. there are exceptions to the rule obviously. lyrically....more cheese and some less cheese...perhaps thanks to pnut writing...but not enough to save it. Tim is awesome...but thats not enough to save the record. Hexum's raps are def better than from chaos onward, but there is something really disney and gay about nick and sa once again on this record.

Conclusion:
I'm trying to find a weakness, and shit just keeps getting easier. haha homebrew play on words......
slowpoke
Our star has long bust but now reappears

Post by slowpoke »

Shiny wrote:'too much too fast' was the most interesting thing 311 had done in a long time
oh man, I forgot about that one! I love that song, and definitely forgot it was on Uplifter.

I think producers serve a mostly unnecessary role, but in the case of 311 it'd be great if they had a producer that freely said "No, that's too cheesy. Change it."
intoxication is an evolutionary force
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Tehshewz wrote:
Siberian Khatru wrote:DTOM is 311's worst album by far. Uplifter is one of the best. I'm tired of everyone bashing on Uplifter. It's better than mediocre Evolver, DTOM and I'm pretty sure UP as well.
JIMMY GET IN HERE!
Evolver was way better than uplifter and its not even close. Uplifter was a good album and songs like too much were fantastic but at the end of the day Jacks...nuff said.

Ps I really like uplifter
:evil5: TB>BB
SoundSalad
Electrified by the sound

Post by SoundSalad »

Siberian Khatru wrote: The recording blows. It's disappointing too because Eddie Offord was involved.

That is the only possible negative thing I can think of to say about Grassroots. I'm sure they already have more plans to remaster it at some point. Other than that, it is 311 at their best.

I'll agree with the cookie cutter bullshit. It's Bob Rock who is "helping them simplify and reach the masses." That's a direct quote from Nick. It's really fuckin' sad, honestly. I kinda hope I have the chance to pick their brains about it at PowWow.
Siberian Khatru

Yeah. I don't want simple 311. Don't get me wrong. I like some of the ideas on UP it just feels like all the songs were shortened. 311 is capable of much more musically. I was listening to Soundsystem earlier today do to another thread on this forum. The stuff going on in Come Original is more complicated than anything on UP. I wouldn't be surprised if there is something going on with the band internally. I think they lost their way a little bit being with out a label for the first time. People are bashing Bob Rock but I'm not so sure how involved he actually was with this album. The band mentioned he popped in every few weeks or so. I'll bet they didn't want to pay his price tag for being a full time producer. I wish 311 would just get a couple pounds of weed and lock themselves in the studio until it's all gone.
SoundSalad
Electrified by the sound

Post by SoundSalad »

Siberian Khatru wrote:Yeah. I don't want simple 311. Don't get me wrong. I like some of the ideas on UP it just feels like all the songs were shortened. 311 is capable of much more musically. I was listening to Soundsystem earlier today do to another thread on this forum. The stuff going on in Come Original is more complicated than anything on UP. I wouldn't be surprised if there is something going on with the band internally. I think they lost their way a little bit being with out a label for the first time. People are bashing Bob Rock but I'm not so sure how involved he actually was with this album. The band mentioned he popped in every few weeks or so. I'll bet they didn't want to pay his price tag for being a full time producer. I wish 311 would just get a couple pounds of weed and lock themselves in the studio until it's all gone.

That's really weird. I was listening to SS last night and specifically noted in my head how much more complex Come Original is than stuff on UP. We on da same wavelength with that :cheers: Now get on the Grassroots train.