this shit again

Three Eleven.
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Re: this shit again

Post by Jorge »

I don't know how I feel about that, "you're spoiled and we could do better line." They could certainly do better, but how are we spoiled? We have to pay increasingly expensive tickets to see a continually less diverse concert experience. It's not like they put out a bunch of material. They tour often, but even their live show doesn't create a new experience, sans seeing a rare song every once in awhile. I don't know, that comment just struck me as erroneous and arrogant. You're not that good P-nut.
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

fatlip wrote:no way man i've been goin to 311 shows since 97 and i have 0 desire to ever meet any of them
no shit. Music is greater than the people who make it. They are just regular people who made great music a long time ago.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

is he saying that we are spoiled and they could do better than us? if so fuck that shit i just lost a shit ton of respect. now if hes saying that we are spoiled, and that they themselves could be a better band...understandable
:evil5: TB>BB
greenmonkey911
Taiyed Brodel

Post by greenmonkey911 »

I was going to at least 3 shows this summer, but I'm not buying any tickets until they rescind this crap and apologize.

They've lost one of their most excitable fans with this PR disaster, and judging by Vallon's posts I'm not the only one.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

$lmjimy311 wrote:is he saying that we are spoiled and they could do better than us? if so fuck that shit i just lost a shit ton of respect. now if hes saying that we are spoiled, and that they themselves could be a better band...understandable

yeah thats completely wack. especially coming from pnut. and I'm pretty sure he meant it the first way you said

Consider me very disappointed.

Later
ImageImage
:evil5:
John Michael
See the good in everybody

Post by John Michael »

the only reason why i goto the shows is to get drunk and hang out with friends. Since it's on a tuesday in chicago i won't be going...i almost don't even care anymore
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

link to OP plz
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
wbrycew
Taiyed Brodel

Post by wbrycew »

Jordan311 wrote:
$lmjimy311 wrote:is he saying that we are spoiled and they could do better than us? if so fuck that shit i just lost a shit ton of respect. now if hes saying that we are spoiled, and that they themselves could be a better band...understandable
yeah thats completely wack. especially coming from pnut. and I'm pretty sure he meant it the first way you said

Later
He probably meant the second way. He's taking part of the blame and responsibility by saying that they could do better.
and in the end
the love you take
is equal to
the love you make
dj3stripes
Taiyed Brodel

Post by dj3stripes »

I love posting about things i don't care about. It's like, so non-conforming.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

wbrycew wrote:
Jordan311 wrote:

Later
He probably meant the second way. He's taking part of the blame and responsibility by saying that they could do better.

Definitely not.

Later
ImageImage
FreeRayLiotta
Taiyed Brodel

Post by FreeRayLiotta »

bands gotta suck money from tours because we all steal their records - plain and simple

makes me think these are the anniversary shows - if there are any

i've met them all on a few occasions. i would like to meet them again. see if they remember my fake scott stapp story. stab nick in the throat so he can't sing anymore - that type of thing.

as long as we steal the albums, bands are going to try and suck money from their fans any way they can
Rock for Light
FrixHex311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by FrixHex311 »

if these are the anniversary shows.... they better be filmed and released somehow maybe the long awaited ETSD3? yah right.
3/9/02, 9/4/02, 7/21/03, 8/27/03
8/7/05, 9/11/05, 3/11/06, 9/3/06
7/4/07, 7/5/07, 3/11/08, 7/24/08
5/12/09, 12/5/09, 3/11/10, 7/13/12
7/29/14, 8/2/15, 8/5/16
311 The best no CONTEST!
311junkee
Taiyed Brodel

Post by 311junkee »

mo money mo money
Jump up and down cuz that's the 311 style!
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

Jorge wrote:I don't know how I feel about that, "you're spoiled and we could do better line." They could certainly do better, but how are we spoiled? We have to pay increasingly expensive tickets to see a continually less diverse concert experience. It's not like they put out a bunch of material. They tour often, but even their live show doesn't create a new experience, sans seeing a rare song every once in awhile. I don't know, that comment just struck me as erroneous and arrogant. You're not that good P-nut.
Yeah, i'm with ya on that Jorge ... To be fair, i'm not sure if that line was turning around something someone said towards P-Nut ... like the "stay fashionable /kiss my fashionable ass" line. It did come off arrogant to me as well -- but typically P-Nut doesn't say things like that... so i'm not sure what that was about.

I don't think we're spoiled by any stretch of the imagination -- and you made excellent points. If 311 day was just a random thing... you could say that fans were spoiled --- but the way in which it's marketed now... you're paying every penny for that experience. Someone else made a point recently that they would rather just go to 311 day every 2 years, than to spend money on summer tours or fall tours with lackluster setlists that they've seen played 20 times previously.

When you stop and think about it ... it makes sense. Even if you save up your money, and you travel to Vegas or New Orleans ... or wherever ... you're getting a lot more bang for your buck out of that one show, than if you drop $120 for a pair of summer tour tickets. The VIP Package thing just takes things to a whole new extreme of trying to market and sell anything and everything they can think of selling.

What's next... a virtual 311 gift app on Facebook? Ya know... in the same spirit as MafiaWars and FarmVille -- where you spend money on "virtual goods". That's the ultimate replenishable product. Sell people virtual shit that's not worth anything in reality...

I think 311 is walking a tight-rope right now... and they could very easily turn off a huge chunk of their fan base by the perception (real or imagined) that they're selling out, and are becoming more concerned with $$$ than art.

I understand it's a business... but to quote a producer who's often worked with 311... "I love my job, I hate my business".

If 311 starts to embrace the business side at the expense of fans and music ... they will lose a tremendous amount of goodwill.

We want to see them become indy -- not to become more corporate --- but to become the anti-thesis to the corporate model.
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

FreeRayLiotta wrote:bands gotta suck money from tours because we all steal their records - plain and simple

makes me think these are the anniversary shows - if there are any

i've met them all on a few occasions. i would like to meet them again. see if they remember my fake scott stapp story. stab nick in the throat so he can't sing anymore - that type of thing.

as long as we steal the albums, bands are going to try and suck money from their fans any way they can
Speak for yourself. I jumped on the mp3 train early in the game... and i'm proud to say that I was one of the names on Metallica's Napster list -- because once upon a time I happened to download 3 of their songs, and someone grabbed a couple from me.

I download mp3's ... I burn cd's ... but I also buy albums of bands that I love and support -- including 311. I couldn't afford to buy all their albums in the early days ... but once I had the ability to do so -- I did.

The band themselves gets very little profit from cd sales ... at least while they were under contract from Capricorn/Volcano/Jive. They have always got the lion's share of profits from TOURING... that's where Nick's island money came from, not from whether or not you bought From Chaos.

So if they go indy.. and they're pressing and releasing their own records independently... they should be getting MORE money from cd/mp3 sales. In the same thread that P-Nut was responding to the VIP criticism .. he mentioned that they have every live master recording going back to '99. They want to sell those... and Mark who runs the new 311bb said he had a framework in place to distribute downloads. This is what they're thinking... and they see $$$$$$.

Would I love to have a quality boot of every show i've ever been to? Hell yes I would... and so would many fans... but I can see things spiraling out of control if they don't do things in a rational and measured way. If fan perception turns on them ... that could cause big problems -- especially considering that so much of their fan base is made up of fans who have been around for years, and years .. and buying everything they can find that's 311 related.

The lyrics of Plain state it well...

If they want to go indy, and they want fan support ... they need to focus on the art, and the fans ... and not make it all about making a buck. Follow your bliss, and the money will follow...

It makes you question whether they still really love making music anymore -- or if they're just trying to sell a product. I thought Uplifter was a huge step in the right direction. Time will tell.
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

311junkee wrote:mo money mo money
Remember when Puffy (P-Diddy) approached them a decade ago when he wanted them to do a remix of "It's All About the Benjamins"...

They turned him down...

...and Nick said, "the only way we'd do it is if we could change the lyrics to "it's not about the Benjamins, it's about the friends i'm with" ... or something to that effect.

Just sayin'
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

wtf? when did that happen
:evil5: TB>BB
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Element »

never knew that but that's p cool
greenmonkey911
Taiyed Brodel

Post by greenmonkey911 »

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/142741 ... addy.jhtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

Vallon wrote:
311junkee wrote:mo money mo money
Remember when Puffy (P-Diddy) approached them a decade ago when he wanted them to do a remix of "It's All About the Benjamins"...

They turned him down...

...and Nick said, "the only way we'd do it is if we could change the lyrics to "it's not about the Benjamins, it's about the friends i'm with" ... or something to that effect.

Just sayin'

man, they've changed

Later
ImageImage