this shit again

Three Eleven.
greenmonkey911
Taiyed Brodel

this shit again

Post by greenmonkey911 »

311 NEWS UPDATE 4/15

VIP PACKAGES FOR DC, ATLANTA, NEW JERSEY AND NEW YORK SHOWS
For the Unity Tour shows in DC, Atlanta, New Jersey and New York - we will be offering a limited quantity of special VIP Packages. Via the 311.com Pre-Sale, 311 fans will have the option to buy:

Platinum Package: $311
Guaranteed great ticket (pit or first 10 rows). Plus Meet & Greet w/ 311 band members. Plus t-shirt and poster.

Gold Package: $150
Guaranteed great ticket (pit or first 10 rows). Plus t-shirt & poster.

For these four shows, the 311com Pre-Sale page, https://tixx1.artistarena.com/311/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
will offer these two package options above in addition to a standard ticket purchase.

GREAT SHOWS AHEAD!!!
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Re: this shit again

Post by Jordan311 »

lol. preposterous.

Later
ImageImage
:evil5:
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Jorge »

Wow.
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

Makes me glad I no longer care about 311 or else this would really piss me off.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
greenmonkey911
Taiyed Brodel

Post by greenmonkey911 »

i was looking forward to following them around for a few shows this tour, maybe meet a few of them again.. but this takes the fun out of it.

besides the fact that it's ultra sleazy, if i was paying 300+ for a ticket it sure as FUCK better be in the pit, none of that first 10 rows bs

they've totally lost their roots and priorities.. not to mention a dedicated fan. still, i hope someone records the transistor show.
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel
Location: Birmingham, Al - currently residing in Birmingham, AL

Post by KyleRayner »

Dollar. Dollar. Bills y'all.
I Want to Believe :evil5:
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

They gotta afford diapers for all those babies they're having somehow

Later
ImageImage
greenmonkey911
Taiyed Brodel

Post by greenmonkey911 »

cough it up, 311 nation.
kateric10
Massive Laminate Fortress

Post by kateric10 »

Not sure why everyone is so pissed about this...if I really step back, I guess I can sort understand the frustration. BUT SHIT, I would pay $311 without even blinking an eye for the opportunity to meet them all at once. I guess I have just been following them around a lot longer than most of you (no pun intended).
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Jorge »

kateric10 wrote:BUT SHIT, I would pay $311 without even blinking an eye for the opportunity to meet them all at once.
Why?
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

no way man i've been goin to 311 shows since 97 and i have 0 desire to ever meet any of them
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

Jorge wrote:
kateric10 wrote:BUT SHIT, I would pay $311 without even blinking an eye for the opportunity to meet them all at once.
Why?

well there's people who idolize 311 like pop star celebrities, and there's people who see them as human beings and just really enjoy their music. However, the latter know better than to pay that kind of money just to meet them. It's not really satisfying when the only way a band is interested in meeting or talking to their fans is because they handed them a huge wad of cash.

There was a point where I would have done almost anything to meet the whole band, but I can't imagine that these days they'd really be able to say anything that would interest me. Especially considering the amount of participation that they have on things like message boards/twitter/facebook/site updates/etc. I mean, what are they going to do, talk about their wives and kids? Their new wardrobe? Rep their upcoming shows and future merchandise?

And then there's that whole "first 10 rows" business. Two words. Fuck that!

Later
ImageImage
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

im torn on this.

on one side, really 311? what happened to the days of meeting every fan and signing everything until everyone is happy....FOR FREE! you wanna talk sell out guys? this is it. you're 311 and you're better than that.

on the other side, i feel like a shit fan sometimes. yea i've bought all the cds, have plenty of shirts bought directly from 311 (via online store or merch booth), have attended as many concerts as i could goto and i rep them all the time. yet the closest thing to anything signed i have is something by zack hexum. i've never got to meet them or anything and it would be awesome to meet the people who have given my countless hours of musical enjoyment.

if this was at a bar it would be so much more worth it
:evil5: TB>BB
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

This was how Joan tried to justify it (but going by the wording... could have come from mgmt):
Regarding VIP Ticket Packages:
Again it's a very limited number of tickets. And it's just an option for those that want a guaranteed opportunity to meet the band...and / or a guaranteed opportunity to get a great seat or pit ticket. It's also hopefully a way to make sure that some of the best seats go to fans and not to scalpers (which is an issue we have been combating the last several tours). Thanks.
This was my response:

So charging almost $250 more than the $60 tickets I bought this week is to guarantee that scalpers don't get tickets? Yet from what I can tell from reading many of these posts ... the fans themselves feel like they're getting scalped by the band.

It's one thing for scalpers to try to ripoff kids on ebay or at shows ... and anytime anyone charges more than face value, that's a crime. So charging $250 for the guaranteed opportunity to meet the band and get "good seats" is not?

I understand your son, and the rest of the band works hard at what they do ... and they deserve to be paid for their art. I understand trying to combat scalpers ... but charging for experiences like this that many old school fans once experienced for free does not paint the band in a positive light. That's why people are upset.

We love 311. We support 311, and we're grateful for many kind things you personally have done over the years to show love and appreciation for 311's fans. We just see this as being completely out of character for everything that 311 has done for fans in the past.

Respectfully,

--v
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomKristine

I agree- this is pretty disgusting. 311 started to lose their shine for me a few years ago because of things I saw in them personally (like this!) but I still travelled to shows to see the friends I made because of the band. However, this truely marks the spot when 311 totally jumps the shark!

To the person who bought the VIP tickets... did you buy the ones for this tour or the ones for 311 Day?

The 311 Day packages I thought were bad, but it was a special occasion. But to do this on regular tour is just outrageous. And its not even about the money (charity or not) but its just the principle! Every year their ticket prices increase more and more, but at least you might get the chance to meet the guys afterwards. Now, you have to pay MORE to do that too? Where does it end?
I don't think anyone here WANTS to be critical of the band... we love 311, that's why we post here. But just like we love our family... if we have a sibling that does something messed up ... we still love them, but we're not going to bite our tongues. I think this is a horrible move -- and maybe the majority does not care (cuz the majority does not come on here and post ... but the diehards like us, do). That's the difference...

So can they do this and get away with it? Sure... Is it right? No.

I understand it's a business, and you need to come up with new creative ways to get revenue ... but honestly, you have a fan base that's incredibly loyal ... most of which has been with you for a decade ... some of us closer to two. We travel around the country to see you, we promote you, we dedicate hours of our time to fan sites... we wait for 15 minutes before a presale to score pit tickets or good seats that sell out in 2 minutes.

Call me crazy... but as the band gets older... and as fans move on to take care of their families ... maybe the band should make an effort to reach out and embrace their fans more (for free) .. rather than trying to cash in on good will. Charging some die-hard fan hundreds of dollars for the opportunity to tell you how much of an inspiration you've been to him/or her.

It's backwards ... and it's not up to the 311 standard that they've demonstrated over the long haul of their career. 311, mgmt and family have ALWAYS gone above and beyond to reach out to fans and make them feel special... yet there was never a price tag on that before -- and there never should be.

Love is love, and it is given freely.

-v
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason311
The point is not about making money its the position you take in how you make money. if you want to make more money as a band you should make more albums, tour more, or sell more merch. Not offer to sell yourself directly to the fans. Thats a bad move and goes against the stance they took in the song Plain.
Messin' around, I'm not having it.
You bite the hand I put your head out.
I come to know a travesty and so sad to see.
The scene dictated frustrated former musicians.
Switching' the emphasis from art to money.
But I demand autonomy what else my friend.
I tell you what 's wrong to me the industry's ability to manufacture stars.
They churn them out like Iwo Jima makes cars.
But the blame lies not with those suits for trying.
It's the sheep that keep on buying that soulless crap.
Whatever they put in front of ya.
The hysteria of America.

Nod your head to this
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

P-Nut responds:
p-nut
Band Member

I will meet any and every fan who has a problem with our vip packages...I can't offer any one else's time, but, meet me anywhere...get there early and I'll come out and say hi...hit me on my twtter account @pnut...

how's that?
this is an experiment, if no one buys in then it won't be seen again...and we'll still be doing plenty of free m&g's. this is just an option for people who don't mind paying extra for a chance to say hello, doesn't seem like a big deal to me, but, that's why I'm here...trying to figure it out. and maybe quell some of the heat.
You guys seemed so down to earth and humble till this. Thats what i find disturbing.

I feel the same way...hehe
if anything an experiment like this will keep the overall prices down...I would love to do longer shows, I like our opening bands.

our ticket prices are on the low end of things as far as shed touring bands, so, be a happy bunny...
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoph311
P-nut just know that the people who complain on here are a minority in actuality. People are used to getting a lot from you guys, and it has lead many fans to feel entitled. I love that I can still go to a 311 show and be 5 feet from you for around $50 bucks. Wish I could say the same for DMB, Muse, and so many other "incredible live bands" that say they love their fans.

311 rules.

Just saying.
It's not an entitlement issue. 311 doesn't owe me or any other fan anything -- and I think the majority of rational criticisms here have been done with respect. I don't feel like P-Nut or any of the other guys owe me the opportunity to meet them, or to sign an autograph or take a picture. They're people too, and I understand that when you play shows, you also deserve privacy and space to breathe.

I've had a number of opportunities to meet the band, both through official means, and unofficial means. I have great memories from times when I was able to do so, and considered myself fortunate.

I understand this is a "trial" thing... but I had the same visceral reaction when I read about my favorite baseball team setting up shop in a convention center, and charging hundreds of dollars for autographs. It's not exactly the same thing, but in a sense... you can relate the two things.

Maybe that autograph show is a great opportunity for fans to meet baseball players, and get that coveted autograph. Maybe it's a worthwhile experience for the players as well as the fans.

Yet to my eyes... I have a hard time rationalizing why a baseball player's time is worth hundreds of dollars.

311 has always gone above and beyond to make their fans feel appreciated. I will never forget reading an e-mail on the day after new year's in 2000... reading a note from P-Nut apologizing for not seeing me at my first show in November of '99... "and not making my millenium even better". It was about 6am.. I was at a friend's house... and I yelled out and woke the whole house up. lol.

or... coming home from school one day, and seeing an envelope on the table from "Raspler Management"... and me jumping around like I won the lottery. Opening it up, and seeing a signed photo accompanied by a transcript of my e-mail to the band, and a thank you.

Those things meant so much to me.

So whether the perception is true or false... I think fans fear a depersonalization of 311...

Many of us are eager for the band to go indy... and have total freedom to write and play what they want to play...

We don't want to see 311 become more commercial, or corporate.

We want the band to be successful, and to see them thrive for years to come -- but we don't want to lose that special relationship that many of us have cherished for well over a decade.

I hope that makes sense... and I hope you can understand where i'm coming from.

--v

p-nut
Band Member

the vip packages aren't going to be the only way people meet us, we will continue to do meet and greets through our usual channels. the packages will just be the for sure way you can meet all of us, and if that doesn't work for you, don't buy it. and try your luck, like you've done before and had success.

my hope is for us to become fully independant, too...and with our fans support we will be able to.
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

Originally Posted by Noir311:
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-nut
You guys seemed so down to earth and humble till this. Thats what i find disturbing.

I feel the same way...hehe
I respect that You go out of your way to talk to Us on these bulletin boards, and You make an honest effort to get to know Us. Thats way cool and we are fortunate for it, I know I'm gonna come off ungreatfull but I hafta say it or risk letting it rott within me.

I held my tongue when yous guys charged for extra tracks on Uplifter even though some had to buy the album twice to get one song. But after all this, One has too wonder after being spoiled with an album overflowing of songs and talent like transistor to the current state , Where are Your guys hearts at? Just here to collect checks like an athlete or you here to do what you love?
Answer that and stay fashionable.
p-nut
Band Member

I love what I do, that's why I go out of my way to stay in touch with all of you. and I am excited about the direction we are going, sure it's not perfect, nothing (except nature) is. Also, you are suggesting that a well paid athlete's heart isn't into the game? I'll bet they still love what they're doing regardless of the amout of zeros in their pay.

again I love being in 311, I love the ups the downs, the in betweens, bring on the whole experience for me, I am here to learn.

you are spoiled and we could do better, how's that?

kiss my fashionable ass
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

p-nut
Band Member

I am very aware that I am not exempt from growth and learning, I wouldn't be here if I did. And I may be spoiled by the fact that we've had such success, but, you may not figure into the equation how much we bust our assess to make this work.
I like explaining myself and I would love to make it so our diehards are always pleased, but, that is nearly impossible. I know (probably better than anyone) how important your views are, so, if something is rubbing you (hello) the wrong way, I want to know about it, and I want you to know that i'll do what I can to (1) explain it, and (2) do what I can to change it (if at all possible)

much love to all
it seems like rush has it down as does pearl jam...make the show the biggest concern, deliver every night on stage (i believe that we do, sure we could play longer and someday i'll be able to convince the rest of the band about that) and sell more vaulted shows...video and audio. and PJ sells special event posters at all shows, that's a really good idea too.
So that pretty much sums up most of the major posts from the 311 bb regarding this subject. There was probably about 20 threads with about 80 posts per -- but many were deleted by morning, including a poll where 80% of fans rejected the idea of paying for meet n' greets. There's a lot of outrage ... but also plenty of people who worship at the altar of 311 that defend them for anything and everything they do.

I think criticism is important -- because otherwise, they think fans are cool with it. At least if fans complain, maybe they'll think twice about doing it again. It just has to make you wonder where their heads and hearts are at... and that's disconcerting.

Just thought you would like a recap.