Ghostwolf EP >>> New 311 EP ?!?

Three Eleven.
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Ghostwolf EP >>> New 311 EP ?!?

Post by Vallon »

For the last few days... we've been speculating about the future direction of 311, now that they are no longer under contract by Volcano. In at least one interview, they mention that 311 is going back "into the studio following their spring tour"... and others have mentioned hearing talk of 311 putting out 6-song EP's every few months going forward for release as mp3's either online, or distributed at shows.

So tonight, we get a link to this new apparently old sideproject that SA had... that most of us knew nothing about. We eat it up like candy... and Evan... the "MetaMeta" guy, who also is a "bandmember" on the 311 bb is totally cool with it, says they're demos... and says that P-Nut just finished bass tracking it today/yesterday. He goes on to say that it's all been rerecorded... that these recording are 4 years old... and that the finished product will be out "soon".

So read between the lines.

P-Nut's finishing up tracking bass for a 4-year old sideproject? Orr... perhaps... 311 is taking these gems that SA made with some friends, and retooling them into 311 tracks, to release as an EP... come Summer Unity Tour 2010.

Just throwin' that out there...

What are the odds?

Either way... 311, or Ghostwolf... i'm fucking stoked. 8) :D
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Re: Ghostwolf EP >>> New 311 EP ?!?

Post by Vallon »

Twenty years and nine albums later, the band plans to start recording again following the spring tour—with or without a label. “We’re free agents now, and so we’ve got a lot of options on the table,” says Hexum. The band satisfied its contract with Volcano Records last year. “I will say that we’re leaning towards one, kind of a label-producer combination,” he adds.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

unnecessary new topic is unnecessary.

Later
ImageImage
:evil5:
robah
Shades of gold displayed naturally

Post by robah »

Who knows? I'm just glad I found it and it wasn't another demo fiasco. Fans need to hear the new stuff regardless of solo or new 311.
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

Jordan311 wrote:unnecessary new topic is unnecessary.

Later
Oh well, not the first... won't be the last :P

P.S. -- thanks for the props in the setlist post... i'm tryin

-g
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

niceee. vallon bringing life to the forum with new threads, i dont mind.
:evil5: TB>BB
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

$lmjimy311 wrote:niceee. vallon bringing life to the forum with new threads, i dont mind.
Thanks Jimmy :)
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

How's this for an idea...

If they're going to do 6-track EP's going forward ... and many bands put them together over time as a theme ... like the MAE reference, and GTO and name your band...

...What if they did a series of 5 EP's.... each one dedicated to the ideas/writing of a particular band member.

Like say this one is going to be SA's EP... aka Ghostwolf... then they do a jammy one with Tim, either completely instrumental, or with a lot of crazy solos and stuff. Chad does one that features a lot of tribal drums and interesting beats. P-Nut plays around and does something Wooten-ish, like something insane like classical thump... but do his own thing... and Nick plays around with some electronic stuff like "Leo Gets Funky"... and synths and stuff. Remember the project he did with Daniel Victor? Just really get creative and do some new stuff.

I would love that... keep putting out these EP's ... and then at the end of it... a new full-length 311 LP. This is definitely a transitional period ... and moving on from Volcano might be the best thing that ever happened to them. This next LP could be a rebirth.
mystoneybaby
Taiyed Brodel

Post by mystoneybaby »

Props to Robah for exposing the tracks!!
Image :smurfin: :evil5:
robah
Shades of gold displayed naturally

Post by robah »

mystoneybaby wrote:Props to Robah for exposing the tracks!!
THANKS
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

i like vallon's idea, post on the bb, maybe nuts will read it
$ayzak
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $ayzak »

It sounds fantastic Vallon, but let's consider Nick's ego here... would he really allow several EPs to be released under the name 311 if he wasn't crooning about his love life, or preaching cliche lessons about positivity on each one? If Nick suddenly were so humble, I would have a ridiculous amount of new hope for 311 as a group, but I think that would take more than a miracle.

Not to be a negative Nancy or anything.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

i still dont think its nicks fault. id like full proof that its HIS message
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

$ayzak wrote:It sounds fantastic Vallon, but let's consider Nick's ego here... would he really allow several EPs to be released under the name 311 if he wasn't crooning about his love life, or preaching cliche lessons about positivity on each one? If Nick suddenly were so humble, I would have a ridiculous amount of new hope for 311 as a group, but I think that would take more than a miracle.

Not to be a negative Nancy or anything.
I think you misunderstood part of what I said... so i'll try to clarify.

I wasn't suggesting that 311 put out EP's under the name "311" as such. Rather, I'd like to see each band member explore different styles and genres while collaborating with bandmates, and/or other musicians. I would like for each member to explore playing new music, and share that with "311 Nation" as Nick phrased it on Last Call.

311 is 311... I don't think you can mess with that. 311 is like Voltron ... each lion has it's own ability to kick ass ... but put them together, and they're invincible.
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

$lmjimy311 wrote:i still dont think its nicks fault. id like full proof that its HIS message
I concur. Honestly, we don't know how much of an influence Volcano played in the direction of the music over the years. We forget, but 311 basically tried to divorce them in 2000 due to breach of contract. Magically, with the success of Amber ... things mellowed out a bit, and they seemed to come to a bit of a compromise. But I think there was always tension there... and thing went down hill over the years.

Also, I think they've been trying to figure out how to go from being that 90's rap-rock band... to what Chad evokes in that interview I posted above. They want to keep playing live and jamming for many years to come, and they're trying to figure out what style is best suited to that going forward.

It seems like they're leaning more towards being a jammy-rock band ... and they'd like to pick up and carry the torch of the Dead and Phish, and bands of that ilk... but not "be them"... just be like them in terms of carrying a fanbase, and playing songs live that they know the fans will love as much as they do.

Obviously Uplifter is light years better than Don't Tread On Me... but you have to look at each record as a time capsule. Uplifter was written and recorded in a more hopeful time than in DTOM ... and I think they're writing from a happier place than they were during the DTOM Sessions.
wbrycew
Taiyed Brodel

Post by wbrycew »

Vallon wrote:"311 Nation" as Nick phrased it on Last Call.
Not just at Last Call. Nick also said this multiple times on stage at the Vegas show. I guess that is our new title all of a sudden. I bet that this becomes a new staple thing Nick will say at shows now.
and in the end
the love you take
is equal to
the love you make
wbrycew
Taiyed Brodel

Post by wbrycew »

Vallon wrote:
$lmjimy311 wrote:i still dont think its nicks fault. id like full proof that its HIS message
I concur. Honestly, we don't know how much of an influence Volcano played in the direction of the music over the years. We forget, but 311 basically tried to divorce them in 2000 due to breach of contract. Magically, with the success of Amber ... things mellowed out a bit, and they seemed to come to a bit of a compromise. But I think there was always tension there... and thing went down hill over the years.

Also, I think they've been trying to figure out how to go from being that 90's rap-rock band... to what Chad evokes in that interview I posted above. They want to keep playing live and jamming for many years to come, and they're trying to figure out what style is best suited to that going forward.

It seems like they're leaning more towards being a jammy-rock band ... and they'd like to pick up and carry the torch of the Dead and Phish, and bands of that ilk... but not "be them"... just be like them in terms of carrying a fanbase, and playing songs live that they know the fans will love as much as they do.

Obviously Uplifter is light years better than Don't Tread On Me... but you have to look at each record as a time capsule. Uplifter was written and recorded in a more hopeful time than in DTOM ... and I think they're writing from a happier place than they were during the DTOM Sessions.
The only problem is that they're writing material that is not conducive to jams. The Uplifter songs are tight and short and don't have jam sections. I agree that it seems they want to go this route, but I don't know why they aren't writing the songs to take them there. When 311 does actually jam, it's always on an older song.
and in the end
the love you take
is equal to
the love you make
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

wbrycew wrote:
Vallon wrote:

The only problem is that they're writing material that is not conducive to jams. The Uplifter songs are tight and short and don't have jam sections. I agree that it seems they want to go this route, but I don't know why they aren't writing the songs to take them there. When 311 does actually jam, it's always on an older song.
You make a good point...

If you haven't had a chance yet, read the interview from MTV that Chad did... in the Carson Daly post. He talks about their sales going down, down, down... and speculates that "maybe we've been too experimental... maybe we need to get back to basics... 311 basics"

He makes it sound like they were trying to go back w/ a Music/Grassroots vibe. I don't know about that... but I thoroughly enjoyed Uplifter. It did have a bit of an old school vibe, but it was still fresh.

I think Uplifter was a good step forward in the right direction ... but I don't think Evolver necessarily was a bad idea... or From Chaos. I loved both those records.