TRANSISTOR in MANSFIELD (BOSTON) on 7/11

Three Eleven.
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

TRANSISTOR in MANSFIELD (BOSTON) on 7/11

Post by Vallon »

http://bbs.311.com/forums/showthread.ph ... ost1715117" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In 2000, 311 marked their 10th Anniverary as a band, by playing the Blue Album in it's entirety at Mansfield. I've seen 27 shows in the past 11 years, including a 311 day, and shows in Omaha ... and that night was at the top of the list.

In 2005, many of us petitioned for Transistor, and the band answered us by playing 6 tracks from that record.

So this year, marking 20 years of livin' and rockin' in my mind, needs to be celebrated on par w/ what went down a decade ago. In the wake of 311 day, and so many memorable performances... 311 has elevated the bar, and we're hungry for more.

So humbly, I ask that the band considers marking their 20th Anniversary Tour in a special way... You've spoiled us in the past, and brought us so much joy ... and I know that many, many people have been dying to hear this show. It would be one for the ages...

Please consider playing Transistor in Mansfield -- and if not there, some place in New England.

We love the jams, we love the funk... bring it.

--glenn
Last edited by Vallon on Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Re: TRANSISTOR in MANSFIELD (BOSTON) on 7/11

Post by Vallon »

In order to reach out to fans that do not post on the 311bb... I've made a Facebook petition group for this.

Joining the group is all it takes... no need to sign anything or post anything... just join the group.

Thanks for your support!

--g
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

you do know that if they did that.. they'd be pissing off more people than they'd be satisfying
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
wbrycew
Taiyed Brodel

Post by wbrycew »

Vallon wrote:Fans have put up with a lot of crap from this venue in years past, and last year ... the show was canceled completely, much to the disappointment of those who came out.
This isn't being fair to the band. I was at the show. They didn't cancel; it was rescheduled to a couple days later. The show was originally on a Friday or something, and they moved it to Monday. It was disappointing, but not nearly as disappointing as if they had completely cancelled the show.
and in the end
the love you take
is equal to
the love you make
wbrycew
Taiyed Brodel

Post by wbrycew »

fatlip wrote:you do know that if they did that.. they'd be pissing off more people than they'd be satisfying
Disagree. They already did this at Mansfield once before with the Blue album and nobody was complaining about it.
and in the end
the love you take
is equal to
the love you make
dj3stripes
Taiyed Brodel

Post by dj3stripes »

wbrycew wrote:
fatlip wrote:you do know that if they did that.. they'd be pissing off more people than they'd be satisfying
Disagree. They already did this at Mansfield once before with the Blue album and nobody was complaining about it.

well, who hasn't heard the blue album in it's entirety on that tour ;)
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

wbrycew wrote:
Vallon wrote:Fans have put up with a lot of crap from this venue in years past, and last year ... the show was canceled completely, much to the disappointment of those who came out.
This isn't being fair to the band. I was at the show. They didn't cancel; it was rescheduled to a couple days later. The show was originally on a Friday or something, and they moved it to Monday. It was disappointing, but not nearly as disappointing as if they had completely cancelled the show.
Bryce,

The part you highlighted and commented on has long since been removed from the 311bb post. I forgot that I hadn't edited this one as well.

I had bad intel on that at first... and thought they just cancelled the show. There were many disgruntled posts about that show floating on the Tour Forum at the time ... and I included that line to try to turn a negative into a positive. As soon as I found out that the band came back and played on their off day, I removed that part... and it now starts at the "In 2000..." part.

Good call -- but like I said, I didn't have good intel at first... and I revised it.

That post was originally made on 3/16 ... i've since amended it and learned a lot more.

--g
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

Not true. Do I realize that there are many fans that would probably like to hear this outside of New England? Sure. Are there going to be kids there that are going to be disappointed if they don't play a certain song that's not on Transistor... sure.

It's not going to please everyone... but if there was ever a time for them to play a show like this... it's this tour.

They're basically a well-known, newly free indy band... they don't have to play singles. They can do what they want. Most of the crowd at the show is going to be made up of old schoolers... and most will appreciate this (I believe).

I know many, many people from New England that petitioned for this 5 years ago.. and even before that. It's not my idea... it's something that's been talked about for years. In 2005, we got 6 tracks... so clearly the band heard us -- just didn't want to do the whole thing.

So I think it could happen... and I think more people will be thrilled, than will be pissed. It's not everyday you get to be part of a special Anniversary show... or get to hear a full album played live.

2000 was amazing... and this potentially could be just as amazing, if not more so.
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel
Location: Birmingham, Al - currently residing in Birmingham, AL

Post by KyleRayner »

lol indy band are you fuckin kidding me?

also have you been to a show in the past 3-4 years? the shows are made up of maybe 1/500 hardcores, the rest are fratboy douchebags and trashy bimbos i feel like i'm getting stds from for just being near them

i mean i would love for them to do that show, so so so bad. i would be there in a heartbeat. but they do not care about catering to the hardcores anymore and never will. they are family men and need dollar dollar bills y'all, and nothing is going to change. nothing wrong with that, people grow up, and i'd be doing the exact same thing. shit i probably would have done it sooner. nick said it many many years ago, as seen on ETSD " not trying to sellout...yet" then they laugh, but they obviously knew what was to come.
I Want to Believe :evil5:
wbrycew
Taiyed Brodel

Post by wbrycew »

KyleRayner wrote:lol indy band are you fuckin kidding me?
As of right now, they are an independent band. That may change in the near future, but it's correct for now.
and in the end
the love you take
is equal to
the love you make
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel

Post by KyleRayner »

ok technically, but in spirit, no way
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

KyleRayner wrote:lol indy band are you fuckin kidding me?

also have you been to a show in the past 3-4 years? the shows are made up of maybe 1/500 hardcores, the rest are fratboy douchebags and trashy bimbos i feel like i'm getting stds from for just being near them

i mean i would love for them to do that show, so so so bad. i would be there in a heartbeat. but they do not care about catering to the hardcores anymore and never will. they are family men and need dollar dollar bills y'all, and nothing is going to change. nothing wrong with that, people grow up, and i'd be doing the exact same thing. shit i probably would have done it sooner. nick said it many many years ago, as seen on ETSD " not trying to sellout...yet" then they laugh, but they obviously knew what was to come.
Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the thoughtful comment. I'll try to break it down for you.

-Have you read any interviews they've done lately? -- They are technically an "indy" band... meaning... free from contract. If you dislike the term "indy" then fill-in "free agent". Labels tend to control just about everything a band does... so therefore, no label... more freedom. Freedom to play what they want...

-I actually haven't been to a show since the Fall of '05. Is that OK with you? Life goes on without 311, there are other priorities such as work, family, etc... and sometimes going to shows isn't a possibility. Honestly, after DTOM was released, and after going to both Summer shows, and Fall shows... I was a bit disappointed with the band and the direction they were heading in. I thought DTOM was their weakest album on several fronts, especially vocally and lyrically. SA is an exception, because he really shines on some songs ... but in my mind, he stands out more because Nick fades away. There were a number of factors that kept me from seeing shows since '05... but all were valid. Uplifter restored much of my passion for 311, and i'm greatly looking forward to this upcoming Summer tour. Is that cool with you?

-The meatheads and trashy "bimbos" have been around for years... In my opinion, every album brings in new fans... and they don't necessarily fit the mold of what we think of as "311 fans". To some people, 311 fans are just a bunch of hippie stoners. I don't smoke, and I wouldn't classify myself as a hippie... but I really don't care if others do. The only thing I care about is if you enjoy the music, and you share in that experience with me. I remember going to shows after Amber dropped, and seeing 14 and 15 year old girls running around and screaming and being somewhat obnoxious. So what? You can't control who likes 311.

-If you would love for them to do Transistor or play more Transistor songs this summer... click the link, and sign/join the petition group on Facebook. Spread the word to people you know, and encourage them to sign as well.

-If they don't care about catering to the "hardcores" as you say... than why do they do 311 day? You can argue (and rightly so) that it's a business, and it's a huge $$$ maker, and gets them a lot of buzz and press. But it's more than that... they don't have to cater to requests on the bb or on fan sites. They didn't have to play Slinky, or any of the other rarities that they did. It's a business, but Nick, P-Nut, etc... when they post on the board, or they do interviews... you know that they take pride on their connection with their fans. It's not just a PR stunt... they care about the fans, and they appreciate their fans... and that's why they would consider doing something like playing Transistor if enough people make it clear that it's something they support.

I'm pretty sure Nick once said they would never play Slinky... that it was "retired". This was probably because he was embarassed by it. Just because you wrote a song when you were 18/19 doesn't mean you want so sing it at 39. Ya know? So Slinky clearly shows that 311 was willing to take the risk of playing it not for their benefit, but for the benefit of the old school fans in attendance who have been requesting it for years.

-As far as the "selling out...yet" thing... that video clip was when they were still kids... I think if you honestly compared the 311 that exists in 2010 to the 311 that existed in 1994/1995 ... you'd see two very different bands in many respects. They're older, they're more mature.. and they've changed their views on a lot of things.

"The day we turn to pop the show will stop" -- that's another quote for you. We honestly don't know how much of a negative influence that Volcano had on 311 over the years... and how they influenced their creativity and direction musically.

I think they have the potential to have a new lease on life, to evolve as musicians without veering too far off from their sound. They can do what they're good at, but more polished and more solid... rather than trying to become something they're not.

Transistor was a great example of experimentation that in many ways was ahead of it's time. I'm sure that Capricorn/Volcano hated it... after the success of the Blue Album... Maybe they've got it ingrained in their heads that Transistor was a "bad" record. Or maybe there are certain songs that they have issues with ... like Tune In. I don't know why they refuse to play it. But the point is, that's all water under the bridge. The page has been turned... and they have showed signs of jamming more, and transitioning into something new.

So it might be more than appropriate for their 20th Anniversary to celebrate an album that some have compared to Sgt. Pepper. In my mind, Don't Tread On Me was experimental but lacked cohesion. Transistor was experimental, yet it flows from song to song. At times it's spacey... at times it's trippy... you go through heavy songs and beautiful ballads... but it never feels disjointed... it all fits like pieces to a puzzle.

Bottom-line is... this idea has been talked about, requested and petitioned for the past 5 years. We're not giving up on it. We want to hear it live... and we think this would be a damn good time to do it.
logosteel
Taiyed Brodel

Post by logosteel »

as cool as it would be for you to get that show...I don't want you to. We deserved something like that @ 311 2010. Not some summer tour. Not that 311 day this year was bad but i expected a 5+ album play through.
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

yeah thats what i was implying by my comment that it'd piss off more people than it'd make happy.. everyone wants to see transistor be played.. so to play it at one random-ass show in boston would be a terrible idea.. you just think its a good idea because thats where you're located (or at least near by)
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
logosteel
Taiyed Brodel

Post by logosteel »

agree with fatlip 100%. Not cool for 95% of the rest of american 311 fans. If there is a time and place for something as epic as a FULL album play it IS 311 day.
greenmonkey911
Taiyed Brodel

Post by greenmonkey911 »

as long as they film it or release the soundboard, I won't be as disappointed if it isn't at one of the shows I'm attending. but they do have to play it SOMEWHERE (if at all)..

to satisfy everyone (on here, at least), they could do a TransisTour in the Fall and play the album, in its entirety, with b-sides, at every show. yeah, let's get that petition up! :D
logosteel
Taiyed Brodel

Post by logosteel »

greenmonkey911 wrote:as long as they film it or release the soundboard, I won't be as disappointed if it isn't at one of the shows I'm attending. but they do have to play it SOMEWHERE (if at all)..

to satisfy everyone (on here, at least), they could do a TransisTour in the Fall and play the album, in its entirety, with b-sides, at every show. yeah, let's get that petition up! :D
Now THAT would sell tickets. Plus make it a club tour (like usual fall tours).
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel

Post by KyleRayner »

Hi Vallon,

don't act like such a chotch. My friends and I were once convinced they were going to to do it at Red Rocks so we drove there from alabama. they didn't. i wasnt attacking you, you misunderstand me. I am merely trying to let you know to not get your hopes up, they no longer give a fuck what a solid fan such as yourself thinks.

and yeah 311 day isnt ONLY about money, its the one show they can say YEAH HERES ONE FOR THE HARDCORES, now stay the fuck away from all the other shows cuz we're playing amber and love song BIGTIME

Yours truly,
mitchell
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

logosteel wrote:agree with fatlip 100%. Not cool for 95% of the rest of american 311 fans. If there is a time and place for something as epic as a FULL album play it IS 311 day.
Well it's nice that you want to spite me just for suggesting it in a city that's not close to you. That's nice.

As to Fatlip's point about me wanting it here just because I live here...

10 years ago they played the Blue Album in Boston ... not by fan petition... but because they wanted to.

Boston, DC and Atlanta are big radio markets for them... and there are massive fanbases around those cities because of stations in those cities. They frequently do radio contests in these markets... and live nation owns all of the venues.

So it's a promo thing for them.

--

I don't get why you're being territorial about it. It should be at 311 day in a neutral city... etc, etc. Well in 2000, they didn't do those Anniversary shows in a "neutral city" they did them in Boston, DC and Atlanta.

So why not do something similar this year?

You can spite me and others who support this petition like me... but many of us have been calling for this in Boston for 5+ years. All I did was revive an old idea. Not to spite other 311 fans... but to celebrate their 20th Anniversary in similar style to what they did in 2000.

If you don't like that... then fine. But there are others that do support this.
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

greenmonkey911 wrote:as long as they film it or release the soundboard, I won't be as disappointed if it isn't at one of the shows I'm attending. but they do have to play it SOMEWHERE (if at all)..

lol I love the idea, and the pun... but I think that's less likely than what I proposed. It would be amazing though... for sure.

They have to play it somewhere... now people are going to bitch about where 311 day is located. It should be in New Orleans! It should be in Vegas! It should be on Europa!

Like honestly... someone, somewhere is going to have a gripe...

I don't bitch and complain when 311 plays a great setlist in Chicago, just because I didn't get a chance to go to the show in Chicago.

We don't need to be greedy about this...

If 311 was wise, they would film it and or record it... That would be a hot seller for sure.

But go ahead... rain on my parade.