When is the last time you listened to Uplifter??

Three Eleven.

When was the last time you listened to Uplifter

Within the last 24 hours
15%
Within the last 7 days
20%
Within the last 1-2 weeks
10%
Within the last month (2-4 weeks)
5%
1-2 months ago
20%
2-3 months ago
5%
3-5 months ago
15%
6+ months ago
5%
Never
5%

Total votes: 20

Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

When is the last time you listened to Uplifter??

Post by Jordan311 »

The whole thing, or at least a large portion of it.

It just dawned on me, while making this topic, that Uplifter came out exactly 6 months ago today.

I'd say between 1 and 2 months here.
I think I remember tossing it on a while back...

Later
ImageImage
:evil5:
Freeze Time
Butterfly in the wind without a care

Re: When is the last time you listened to Uplifter??

Post by Freeze Time »

Crap album. The fact I don't even feel compelled to run off and listen to it now makes me realise how far they've fallen.
Do Not Fist Fight The Bears
greenmonkey911
Taiyed Brodel

Post by greenmonkey911 »

probably sometime in august. it's more of a summer album.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Freeze Time wrote: makes me realise how far they've fallen.

have you made any other posts that say anything different then that? i feel like you've said that exact statement in your last 15 posts
:evil5: TB>BB
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Jorge »

5 months. I gave up after a month. There's too much interesting music being released to waste time replaying a mediocre (at best) album.

Jammed the shit out of Grassroots the other day, though.
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

Jorge wrote:5 months. I gave up after a month. There's too much interesting music being released to waste time replaying a mediocre (at best) album.

Jammed the shit out of Grassroots the other day, though.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
Freeze Time

Post by Freeze Time »

The best songs are the b-sides. What kind of band is so clueless and out of touch that it doesn't even release its best music properly. 311.
coast2coast
Electrified by the sound

Post by coast2coast »

Holy crap Jorge why are you even on this board. It sounds like you stopped liking 311 after grassroots or maybe the blue album which means you haven't liked them in over a decade. If you want to let them go then let them go. Jesus Christ don't hang around here and make fun of peoples musical taste that don't tie in with your ambiguous musical ear that no one else can match.

Go serve me a steak and I'll take mine au pauvre.
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Jorge »

:lol: That came out of nowhere.

To answer your question (it was a question, right?): I post on this board because it's been a safe haven from boredom for nearly five years now. I've grown older with the people on here, and it's fun to somewhat keep in touch.

If you haven't realized, this board hasn't really been about 311 for awhile. It's more about the people here. If you want to post in a forum truly about 311, go to the ubb. They'd love you, I bet.

And for the record, Transistor is my favorite album, followed closely by Grassroots, then followed by Soundsystem. That maturity in the general sound of those records are what really kept me engaged in 311 as I began to understand the music world as a whole, which is why I still listen to them occasionally.

Also, to be fair, I never made fun of anybody's musical taste in this thread. I know you have a vendetta against since that thread from June I kept posting in while hammered. That's fine. I honestly don't care if you like me or not. This is the internet and I have been blessed with a social circle of people I genuinely care about, who also reciprocate the same feeling towards me.

In all, if you are still growing your musical tastes, Uplifter is a waste of time. If you are done with that and merely want to enjoy the newest record from your favorite band, that's your prerogative. I don't care if you love it or hate it, just be ready to here otherwise when trying to convince me of its value.
dj3stripes
Taiyed Brodel

Post by dj3stripes »

i can kind of get what coast2coast is saying though man. not everybody listens to music to be blown away/impressed like you. it's a matter of opinion and i think the point behind his statement was , we get it. you don't like the later albums. same goes towards freeze time. both of you guys are generally pretty cool on the forums and contribute in many ways, but constantly reminding everybody you think poorly of the last few albums is like a wet blanket. i'm not sure of anybody who would argue that transistor or grassroots aren't better albums, but I suppose lump me in with the casual crowd when who wants to listen to the latest that's fine. i don't think you can say it's hindering my musical taste though.
Freeze Time

Post by Freeze Time »

I'm just so sick of how bland this band has become. I'm sick of the white pants. I don't even get to see them live but I see videos and hear recordings and from them I'm sick of hearing Nicks say exactly the same things before every song. They play the same set lists over and over. Seriously who wants to hear love song every show, go see the cure. Why is every album 12 songs. Why is every song verse chorus verse chorus and an attempt at being a radio hit. It's just annoying because they were so creative and positive and now they're just so safe. The three best songs on Uplifter were B sides. WHY?? Why would anyone think that Sun comes through should be a bside. Honestly what real hardcore 311 fan would omit that song? Its like they want their original fan base to leave and be replaced by teeny boppers that just wanna hear amber. But thats it I'll try not to be negative. Its just when you have a band capable of making albums like Transistor, Grassroots and Soundsystem its so frustrating. And although I don't have a high post count here and my join date is late Ive been reading here for along time. I'm not a major contributor here but over the years this is the place Ive chosen to come back to time after time to read about 311. And Ive come back here because the people on here , while having a diverse range of opinions on 311, seem to be really passionate about the music. And people here have well thought ideas, the bbs sickens me because its a fucking love in mainly filled with retards. The only reason I used to go there was to read pnuts posts, but honestly he's promised shit he can't come through with so many times I don't bother anymore.
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

dj3stripes wrote:i can kind of get what coast2coast is saying though man. not everybody listens to music to be blown away/impressed like you. it's a matter of opinion and i think the point behind his statement was , we get it. you don't like the later albums. same goes towards freeze time. both of you guys are generally pretty cool on the forums and contribute in many ways, but constantly reminding everybody you think poorly of the last few albums is like a wet blanket. i'm not sure of anybody who would argue that transistor or grassroots aren't better albums, but I suppose lump me in with the casual crowd when who wants to listen to the latest that's fine. i don't think you can say it's hindering my musical taste though.
Basically what you're saying is that you're lazy and have lowered your standards.

No thanks!
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
coast2coast
Electrified by the sound

Post by coast2coast »

Jorge i got it and i know what this site has become due to the slower activity after the album release and summer tour have ended. I'm not talking about the casual posting in the other threads cause i know you folks have a tight community in here. All i'm sayin is that your posts in this 311 category have become predictable and stale.

I have no vendetta against you man and like i said when we first started posting in the summer i chose to take you on cause I thought you would be good for discussion. You seemed to want to opt out of most of those though for whatever reason. You gotta admit you come off as condescending to musical tastes of others on this board right?

And freezetime they haven't played love song in the summer tour or the fall tour from I witnessed. If you didn't go to the concerts then why are you complaining about Nic's pants color? Try not to just go with the crowd on this website and maybe focus on the music instead of nitpicking setlists and wardrobe.

For the record I like this site more than the 311 bb just because of the smaller crowd and I know what to expect from most of the people on here. I don't post all that often anymore cause I'm really not in the inner circle as I have only been a member since the summer.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

freeztime cant goto the concerts cause he lives in australia
:evil5: TB>BB
coast2coast
Electrified by the sound

Post by coast2coast »

then setlists should be the least of his worries.
dj3stripes
Taiyed Brodel

Post by dj3stripes »

assblaster wrote:
Basically what you're saying is that you're lazy and have lowered your standards.

No thanks!

elaborate please.

it's fucking music, how high do standards have to be to listen and enjoy music, let alone lazy?
kateric10
Massive Laminate Fortress

Post by kateric10 »

I very rarely listen to Uplifter as a whole. If I feel like listening to it, I go straight for "Get Down" (or all the b-sides), "Jackpot", "Mix it up", "Never Ending Summer" (I had an amazing experience with my 311 family in Central Park during the verse, "Hanging out with my friends were traveling...out and about good time that we're havening...harmonic bliss when we are all synchronized...it's something you've got to see with your eyes") Put fucking chills down my spine!!!!

Mike, Nancy, fatlip...and many more...that was fuckin sick!!! It's such a pleasure to have met you all over the many years!!

BTW - I landed front row to the Spring show in Wedover Nevada (yes I was shocked as hell they are playing there, but oh well). BB King played out there a few weeks ago.

I literally got the first 4 tickets in the presale. Floor seats, Row A, Seats 1-4. I was even more SHOCKED when I saw how much the tickets were. $75!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn...
Nancy
If you're feelin' sick we got the elixir

Post by Nancy »

kateric10 wrote:I very rarely listen to Uplifter as a whole. If I feel like listening to it, I go straight for "Get Down" (or all the b-sides), "Jackpot", "Mix it up", "Never Ending Summer" (I had an amazing experience with my 311 family in Central Park during the verse, "Hanging out with my friends were traveling...out and about good time that we're havening...harmonic bliss when we are all synchronized...it's something you've got to see with your eyes") Put fucking chills down my spine!!!!

Mike, Nancy, fatlip...and many more...that was fuckin sick!!! It's such a pleasure to have met you all over the many years!!

BTW - I landed front row to the Spring show in Wedover Nevada (yes I was shocked as hell they are playing there, but oh well). BB King played out there a few weeks ago.

I literally got the first 4 tickets in the presale. Floor seats, Row A, Seats 1-4. I was even more SHOCKED when I saw how much the tickets were. $75!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn...
cant wait for vegas eric! more owesome times to come. uplifter is 1 of the cds in the car, i still like it
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Jorge »

I see what you (3stripes, Coast) mean in saying my posts in this section are predictable, but I would argue that is because most all interesting discussion have already taken place, or can't take place due to a discrepancy in everyone's view of music.

Personally speaking, deejaying over the past few years has philosophically hindered my music consumption. I no longer listen to music to merely enjoy it. It has become a means to an end, rather than the end itself (in most cases). I mostly blame hip hop and the idea of sampling. Therefore, my approach to music is outside the norm, and harder for me to relate to others (and possibly vice versa) in musical discussions.

Does that make sense?
coast2coast
Electrified by the sound

Post by coast2coast »

Ahhhh ok George this makes complete sense actually. In essence you and 311 have been going farther in opposite directions year by year since we entered the 2000's. As you delve more into hiphop 311 has been turning away from it somewhat. I think that is what your saying right?

I'll grant you that most of the discussions regarding the new album have already taken place. I guess the purpose of this thread is to determine how do we feel about uplifter now. In my opinion I would let a few years go by before asking our take on it. For example i've been getting into From Chaos alot more after hearing more of that album at concerts this year.

Didn't know you DJ. Do you get to play alot of your own tastes or do you have to kind of go genre according to the client? I ask because I can't picture you playing top 40 pop at a wedding or anything.