a high set analysis

Three Eleven.
coast2coast
Electrified by the sound

Re: a high set analysis

Post by coast2coast »

$lmjimy311 wrote:
FreezeTime21 wrote:
assblaster wrote:Word to the noobs around here. We know you've only been listening to 311 for a couple of years. Stop trying to pretend you're oldschool. There's just no way a sane person could like the 311 from mid 90's to now.
By the looks of your girlfirend that doesn't have her driver's license yet, and slimjimmy still being in college, I've been listening to 311 longer than both of you. You do have be with your high post counts though, so congrats. You'v got a couple of years of listening to to catch up to me though.
because you've listened to them longer doesnt mean you have a better understanding of it/know more about it. and why does everyone keep pushing me into their damn accusations, i havent said shit about 311 aside that they havent achieved radio success so fuck you guy.

and also, you being older than me has nothing to do with anything.
Ah ah ah. Grain of salt remember. It will make posting here easier right? You seem very excitable with the f bomb dropping man. People just like to have a good time on here remember.

(P.S. I'm just busting your balls alittle)

Anyway the last post is about spot on. Jorge said that 311 should have been evolving over the years and they were not doing that. It's pretty evident that they have been evolving. It's just that everybody is not on board with where they are going. Just because they aren't writing songs like Hydroponic and Who's Got the Herb doesn't mean their music has failed to grow up. Their lifestyles simply do not reflect that grassroots type of music anymore and the stuff they write now most likely rings closer to home for them.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

i love the f bomb, and i know i know, grain of salt, im just getting mad cause people keep putting words in my mouth.

(here is me making relevant posts...posts that matter coast ;-) haha )

i dont know if id want 311 to be grassroots 311 forever. the thing is, 311 has always changed, no one album sounds like the last album. each one has their own unique sound, the last thing i want is a 311 album where when i pop it in...i think wow that sounds a lot like grassroots. i will agree that their music does sound more generic now a days, and by that i mean, it sounds more like stuff you hear everyday from other bands rather than that unique sound they used to have. but i guess after time you can only be so unique until you start sounding like everyone else.
:evil5: TB>BB
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Jorge »

In what way has 311 evolved, or even de-evolved?
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

Jorge wrote:or even de-evolved?
really? :lol:
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Jorge »

coast2coast
Electrified by the sound

Post by coast2coast »

How have they evolved?

Well first I would say the overall experiences of the band over a twenty year period show a maturity in lyrics as a whole. They don't seem to have the youthfull swagger that Jorge alluded to a while ago but their lyrics do seem to reflect their state of mind over the years matching the real life events of the band. This might be the most noticeable evolution but I'm glad they aren't referred to as just another stoner band.

Also, experimentation as a whole was readily evident in Transistor as they delved into the whole space/funk/alt/indy rock thing over an unprecedented 21 track album. The range of sounds and instrumentation in this album was to me 311 at their creative best.

I would say a negative evolution in their music was their attempt at having S.A. provide a stronger lyrical presence in DTOM. Like I said people dog Nick alot for his command of the band but I will always refer people to DTOM if they want to see what it would be like if he left the band. That being said their are some good moments from S.A. on this album with the awesome lyrics of Getting through to her. "Well crazyhorse thats me" I love that part.

If we take a look at Uplifter I would say the band is starting to make an attempt at going in the direction that the majority of the people on these boards would like. Yes there are some songs that seem alittle bit cheesy but their are just as many songs that show they still have what it takes. (Golden Sunlight, Get Down) I'm gladly looking forward to their next installment to see where it takes them.
Tehshewz
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Tehshewz »

Cup Cakes!
8/24/05, 6/30/09, 11/21/09,7/10/2010,7/13/2010,10/20/2010,10/21/2010,
**311 Cruise 2011**, 7/31/2012, 8/4/2012, 07/10/2013
:evil5:
Sparticus
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Sparticus »

coast2coast wrote: If we take a look at Uplifter I would say the band is starting to make an attempt at going in the direction that the majority of the people on these boards would like. Yes there are some songs that seem alittle bit cheesy but their are just as many songs that show they still have what it takes. (Golden Sunlight, Get Down) I'm gladly looking forward to their next installment to see where it takes them.
loling at this
coast2coast
Electrified by the sound

Post by coast2coast »

This is what I am talking about it. If you don't agree then be prepared to state why. Any clown can pop in an make some statement but you rarely see someone willing to commit to an opinion on a certain topic. Please sparticus maybe you could grace us with your insight. Would you care to elaborate. I don't think you do.
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

coast2coast wrote:This is what I am talking about it. If you don't agree then be prepared to state why. Any clown can pop in an make some statement but you rarely see someone willing to commit to an opinion on a certain topic. Please sparticus maybe you could grace us with your insight. Would you care to elaborate. I don't think you do.
lol I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want to elaborate either. It's all laid out there in the most obvious fashion :lol:
coast2coast
Electrified by the sound

Post by coast2coast »

*Sigh*

I guess it takes all types assblaster so for what it's worth you are entertaining and predictable to say the least. Carry on.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

He's mainly just predictable with some annoying mixed in there.

Later
ImageImage
Sparticus
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Sparticus »

Honestly, I really don't need to. I wouldn't be adding anything that has already been stated in this thread numerous times. It's really just been a circular discussion but you keep constructing your argument in slightly different ways to make it seem like you're saying something new when you really aren't and somehow keep perpetuating this thread.

You can't sit there and tell me these songs are "alittle bit cheesy". These songs are a lotta bit cheesy and the lyrics as over the course of practically the entire album are straight up garbage. I think a low functioning twelve year old could have written more profound lyrics. Apparently maturity in lyrics to you is "Daisy you make me go crazy, forever amaze me, lets make the day go lazy."

Fuck, I did it again.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

and yet, at the end of the day, you're the guy that gets THAT pissed and worked up over cheesy lyrics, when you could just take yourself a little less seriously and enjoy it for what it is.

Later
ImageImage
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

311 sucks so bad now goddamn :lol:
coast2coast
Electrified by the sound

Post by coast2coast »

Sparticus wrote:Honestly, I really don't need to. I wouldn't be adding anything that has already been stated in this thread numerous times. It's really just been a circular discussion but you keep constructing your argument in slightly different ways to make it seem like you're saying something new when you really aren't and somehow keep perpetuating this thread.

You can't sit there and tell me these songs are "alittle bit cheesy". These songs are a lotta bit cheesy and the lyrics as over the course of practically the entire album are straight up garbage. I think a low functioning twelve year old could have written more profound lyrics. Apparently maturity in lyrics to you is "Daisy you make me go crazy, forever amaze me, lets make the day go lazy."

Fuck, I did it again.
Wow, I've never seen someone write so much and say so little. So you just pop in and talk shit huh without stating your opinion again. I thought this thread was pretty much dead too but Jorge asked a question. So I answered it. I'm so sorry if that offends you.

Here is this better: EVERYBODY GET AWAY FROM THE 311!!!. THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE 311!!!! THIS 311 HAS GONE BAD!!!!

I said some songs are cheesy but I said they are countered by songs which are decent. I'm pretty sure I didn't list Daisy Cutter as decent did I. So to take a page out of Jimy's book. DON"T PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH. I never once said the lyrics in Daisy Cutter are epic.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

DAISY CUTTER IS THE BOMB!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLater
ImageImage
greenmonkey911
Taiyed Brodel

Post by greenmonkey911 »

Daisy Cutter's lyrics don't come off as "epic" to me, but they are quite clever. Pretty close to being a saving grace.
coast2coast
Electrified by the sound

Post by coast2coast »

Yeah the lryics are kind of meh. I'm never really been one though to get too spun up about lyrics. I don't always need some profound lifechanging lryics in all of my songs. Sometimes the music can carry a song and vice versa so whatever. The song is kind of catchy.
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »