Post by $nipe »

He's kidding.

...right?
Image :evil5:
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Re: 311 have completely sold out their fans

Post by Jorge »

After seeing them this tour, I slightly agree. They are on cruise control waiting to get their paycheck at the end of the day. At least, that's what it seems to me.
flyersfan900
Taiyed Brodel

Post by flyersfan900 »

Jorge wrote:After seeing them this tour, I slightly agree. They are on cruise control waiting to get their paycheck at the end of the day. At least, that's what it seems to me.
I love 311, but I sadly have to agree with this. "Cruise control" were the exact words I used to describe their VA Beach performance the other night. The only words Nick said to the audience were shit like "How you doing VA Beach" and "What's up."
prsand311
Hear it all the time, come back rewind

Post by prsand311 »

I have to completely disagree. I've seen them twice on this tour and twice on the Spring Tour. Some of the better shows I have been to by 311.
I don't need Nick to be Dave Grohl and tell funny stories during the show. Nick rarely says anything and when he does its to introduce a song. I can see if a band just wasn't feeling it one night, they may appear to be going through the motions. I would be pissed but the performances I have seen just have not been like that. My 25th show was this summer and it was almost as enjoyable as my first show back in 99.

I would really like to hear some reasons you think they have sold out their fans because not one good point has been brought up.
311junkee
Taiyed Brodel

Post by 311junkee »

i agree with prs

when i saw them in columbus, they were very energetic and def not going thru "the motions." It was my first show on the rail so i really got to see the band perform RIGHT in fuckin front of me. I remember during down when some drunk dude ran on stage into nick and knocked nick over the speakers...i thot for sure that nick would get pissed but he laughed a little and brushed it off. The nix hex jam was ungodly. nick and tim were dueling back and forth for a few minutes. by far the best jam i have ever seen them do. and pnuts bass solo was fairly long and very funky. one of the best shows ive ever been to.
Jump up and down cuz that's the 311 style!
flyersfan900
Taiyed Brodel

Post by flyersfan900 »

I'm not saying they sold out or anything like that, the music was still great (although the setlist was lacking IMO compared to previous shows). I just know the last few years Nick always explained a song or two, asked the audience what they wanted to hear, took a vote on songs, commented on signs etc. but there was none of that this year. He didn't even tell everyone to say "hey" during Freeze Time which sucked becuase it always sounds so sweet when everyone yells it. This year only the hardcore fans who already knew to do it were the only one's yelling hey during the song. Still a good performance, I just thought they didn't put as much into it as years past.

Side note: for the second year in a row Nick's and SA's voices sounded high pitched (in VA Beach) does anyone know if this is just something with the ampitheatre, the fact that I was in the lawn, or the sound guys or what?
TaiyedBorders
Taiyed Brodel

Post by TaiyedBorders »

They were on cruise control last night in Charlotte, Snoop was a horrible opener, and half the band was dressed in white, like the backstreet boys. Nick looks so fucking gay, white beater, white shoes, white pants... who's he trying to look like, looked just like he did on that rothbury performance.
HizzY
Taiyed Brodel

Post by HizzY »

NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOO

fuck that statement, and no im not in denial...

i have some evidence to prove it

---------
July 18th the Boston show was dope and the vibes were really flowin'

Nick talked a lot
and he mentioned shit like "how we doin' boston, it's GOOD to be back.... and you KNOW we'll be back next year!!!!!!"

then after that!.....he said "AND WE'LL BE REPPIN' A WHOLE NEW ALBUM... IT'S ABOUT TIME!!! ALMOST 4 DAMN YEARS" soooo cheaaaaaa

i was stoked to hear him say that

---------
of course it must seem like they are going through the motions, they've been doing pretty much the same shit for like 3 years on tour, cuz they havent had anything new.... but now you can tell they are getting really excited for this new album to drop and i bet the album is going to be nastyyyyyyyyyyyyy

-how dare you fucks lose faith in them
some fans you are

for fuck's sake

i will never lose respect for 311.......EVER

(with exceptions to ReggaeGotSoul.... LOL)
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

lol at blind 311 fans. I'm so glad I've moved on to bigger and better things. Nickelback and 311 should tour together next year!
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Jorge »

If you look at the cool, innovative things other acts are doing right now, 311 is plain boring. Their shows are predictable and increasingly shorter. Nick continues to get douchier by each tour, while the rest of the band gets better. I see Nick pick up the guitar less, but when he does it's great, and I wonder why doesn't he play more instruments? Why do they play the same version of these extremely old songs? Why not switch it up and give the fans something new for their live experience? Why don't they segue in and out of songs more interestingly?

And all these singles need to stop being played at their shows. That's the real kicker for me. I look at 311 as a boring, mainstream band now, because they insist on playing their hits at shows, instead of nutting up and playing the music that the fans that got them here today love. However, if they don't play those hits, then they don't satisfy the larger, less interested fan base, and thus don't make their money, which is what 311 is concerned about currently.

But I wouldn't say they have completely sold out their fans. They just don't care about them as much anymore.
311junkee
Taiyed Brodel

Post by 311junkee »

ahhhh nate...u bring me back to those good ole element days
Jump up and down cuz that's the 311 style!
flyersfan900
Taiyed Brodel

Post by flyersfan900 »

I'm more or less down with what Jorge's saying. I love 311 and can't wait for the new CD and I'll see them live whenever they roll through, but they could definitely be so much more if they didn't try to satisfy the Amber & Love Song crowd at every show.
logosteel
Taiyed Brodel

Post by logosteel »

i had a blast with my girl in va beach. Granted would i wanted more? YES, but this isn't Halloween or 3-11 day. I enjoyed them from the seats and it was cool, minus the tools that kept coming right back to the seats next to me with "vip" wristbands and pretending like they loved the band. And yes NICK is a tool, knew that for awhile. And even funnier cuz my girl called him out on his receding hairline.
TaiyedBorders
Taiyed Brodel

Post by TaiyedBorders »

I have noticed also that Nick's voice sounds higher when he sings, but when he's talking between songs I cant understand it because it's deep and sounds mumbly. Seems like SA started singing high pitched on tour after DTOM was released. Some of those DTOM songs makes SA a whole lot more than he usually does so maybe thats why. I remember one time at the house of blues in 2006 it was really noticable, almost sound like a chipmunk hitting those high notes. I think you cant notice Nicks shitty singing because it is so damn loud at their shows. Im curious to see how his vocals will be on this next album considering the fact that his voice is deteriorating. He needs to stop refering to himself in come original as the dancehall man, he dances like a retard. These 20 song sets blow. I looked at the Official Atlanta song requests on 311.com and people are requesting hits. "Hey would you guys play beautiful disaster, freak out and creatures in Atlanta? that would be dope" WTF is wrong with these people? I will post the setlist when I get in tonight.
HizzY wrote: but now you can tell they are getting really excited for this new album to drop and i bet the album is going to be nastyyyyyyyyyyyyy
-how dare you fucks lose faith in them
Chea-pet, we heard this from Pnut and Nick last time, how summer-reggae-funky-awesome DTOM was gonna be, and instead we got crap.
How CAN we have faith? With Nick's attitude/image/behavior changing now how can you have hope for the future? This next album will make or break them.
Alot of people bash Pnut on the bulletin board for playing such predictable setlists, but his answer is always the same, that they have to play for everyone, and keep all groups happy.
The old fans, and the new fans. But Im not buying into it. I am sick of being able to predict the songs at every show. I bet the Atlanta show will look something like this with a few different songs thrown in.

Beautiful Disaster
You wouldnt believe
Freeze time
Amber
Prisoner
All mixed up
Down
Love song
Come original
Feels so good
Nix hex
WHos got the herb
Creatures
Homebrew
Beyond the grey sky
What was I thinking?
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

this is why bands should never allow themselves to be on mainstream networks or join big labels. When you get exposed to a huge group of people, you bring in fans that go to shows only looking for the hits. If you keep your band grassroots, you get the real fans. The fans that come for every song. Groups like fallout boy, 311, and nickelback have no substance. They are consistently playing popular songs so they don't alienate the largest demographic of their fan base; "amber" fans. This is why 311 kept it grassroots for a few years...well, until they saw the dollar signs. To some bands, music is a business; to others, music is life.
TaiyedBorders
Taiyed Brodel

Post by TaiyedBorders »

You hit it on the head Nate.
But I hate sitting around listening to the same songs over and over again, I'll always love 311's music from thr 90's but I need some new music to listen to, is there any good stuff out there?
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

Oh yes. Let me name some off the top of my head:

Rx Bandits
Sonic Boom Six
The Coup
Atmosphere
Dub Pistols
Dubconscious
The Expendables (a little cheesy, but still good)
Immortal Technique
Mclusky
Oceansize
Kaddisfly
Pinback
Portugal The Man

and basically anything from Mash Down Babylon Records. http://www.myspace.com/mdbrecords" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really believe that this is the best era for music. It can just be hard to find sometimes.