Five of Everything

Three Eleven.
Mindspin
But needles never ever love

Re: Five of Everything

Post by Mindspin »

I listened to the song yesterday and again today. Meh. It's ok.
Rich wrote:this is going to be their best album since Evolver!
That's really the most we can hope for, but I'm not holding my breath.
09/12/95, 09/15/95, 08/17/97, 11/26/99, 03/08/00, 06/09/00, 11/11/00, 09/23/01, 08/18/02, 07/24/03, 08/01/03, 10/27/03, 03/11/04, 07/13/04, 08/14/05, 08/08/06, 08/02/07, 07/13/08, 06/17/09, 06/24/2010, 07/05/13 = 21 shows

Everything you do, it comes back to you, whatever it may be
To just know hate, well that's so sad. What a life, strife
There's much power in anger, but love's a bigger banger
It's a waste to be a hater
All the angst shit is just cheesy
Be positive
Take on the Love and the good Karma
Suckas look up to thugs, they like the attitude... the harder they act just to hide their insecurity
The only thing you always try to be is hard, because you're scared that someone might pull your card
I don’t dis people, I dis ideas. And when I say dis I mean disagree
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

Mindspin wrote:I listened to the song yesterday and again today. Meh. It's ok.
Rich wrote:this is going to be their best album since Evolver!
That's really the most we can hope for, but I'm not holding my breath.
Thank you
FreeRayLiotta
Taiyed Brodel

Post by FreeRayLiotta »

i'm glad to see you guys like it. 311 fans are such fucking morons. They ruin the band. The comments on facebook and pledge are ludicrous. Asking for higher vocals in the mix.. christ. the vocals are always too high and it ruins songs. They all want rainbow bong hits blown up their ass. This mix is right on.

The era of radio singles are behind us - at least if you are a real band. And this is catchy in a sense but not meant to be a 90s radio single like pretty much every single they released since transistor. I was listening to transistor, and prisoner the other day and I thought - man, that was a ballsy move to release those songs as singles.. they are real songs.. not some radio friendly bullshit - especially coming off their success with down and all mixed up. This is no First Straw or Hey You. It sounds like a band that is finally using all their gimmicky shit in the right way. Not trying to get new 16 year girl fans but just reaching into their catalog of soundmaking to write a song that sounds like it should exist in the time period it was written. The lyrics are actually interpretive for a change. I've listened about 50 times already and I'm still not exactly sure what it is about.

I know at this point our expectations are low, but I think this record is going to blow evolver out of the water. The talent from music and grassroots applied to their years of experience as human beings... this could be the one. Maybe Nick got all his cheese and nonsense love tunes out of his system on My Shadow Pages. Hopefully. I love this track. #fuckmonkey
Rock for Light
dj3stripes
Taiyed Brodel

Post by dj3stripes »

I agree 100%. It sounds great on headphones and great in the car. I love the mix. 1 down, 14(?) to go.
Tehshewz
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Tehshewz »

dj3stripes wrote:I agree 100%. It sounds great on headphones and great in the car. I love the mix. 1 down, 14(?) to go.
If i remember correctly from the From Chaos studio vids, they do a car test after each song.
I remember Pnut saying that.
8/24/05, 6/30/09, 11/21/09,7/10/2010,7/13/2010,10/20/2010,10/21/2010,
**311 Cruise 2011**, 7/31/2012, 8/4/2012, 07/10/2013
:evil5:
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

ska wrote:
Tehshewz wrote:
dj3stripes wrote:I agree 100%. It sounds great on headphones and great in the car. I love the mix. 1 down, 14(?) to go.
If i remember correctly from the From Chaos studio vids, they do a car test after each song.
I remember Pnut saying that.
They must have forgotten to do one with Rock On.
Hopefully they're testing it in their assistants cars and not their $100k+ ones
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

So here are my thoughts on Five of Everything

I like the first minute, then I dislike the next 45secs, I like the next 15secs, then skip a min and 20secs, and play out the rest of the song. Just in terms of lyrics. I'm going to do a rewrite of their lyrics, for the first time, on this song. Once I get a clue of what the fuck it's about.

"Drink another drink" I hate that line, I dislike the phrasing. I also don't like how the song ends, I wonder if it goes into the next song somehow. It's the only thing that would make sense.

I think the music throughout is fantastic.
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

Smoke wrote:Hopefully they're testing it in their assistants cars and not their $100k+ ones
You talking about their teslas? :o
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

Well Pnut's I have no idea what the rest of them drive, I'm assuming they're equally as nice.
FrixHex311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by FrixHex311 »

The change of tempos is awesome. It's vintage 311
3/9/02, 9/4/02, 7/21/03, 8/27/03
8/7/05, 9/11/05, 3/11/06, 9/3/06
7/4/07, 7/5/07, 3/11/08, 7/24/08
5/12/09, 12/5/09, 3/11/10, 7/13/12
7/29/14, 8/2/15, 8/5/16
311 The best no CONTEST!
Freeze Time
Butterfly in the wind without a care

Post by Freeze Time »

I didn't even notice pnuts little slaps during SA's rap until about the tenth listen. This is a great song. It's growing on me more and more. This really is quality 311.
Do Not Fist Fight The Bears
logosteel
Taiyed Brodel

Post by logosteel »

Held off on my thoughts on this just yet. Initially? My peen didn't wiggle. A few days later after headphone listens and I can agree with all of you. I like it, a lot. The guitar alone has me semi hard.
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

Has anyone's excitement waned yet?
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

Nope. INTENSIFIED

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/threeeleven/updates" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Later
ImageImage
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

To each his own. I've never been one for buying individual tracks but I might have to this time around. We'll see.
Freeze Time
Butterfly in the wind without a care

Post by Freeze Time »

Jordan311 wrote:
Nope. INTENSIFIED

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/threeeleven/updates" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Later
Couldn't agree more. I'm at boiling point for this album.
Do Not Fist Fight The Bears
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

The more I listen to it the more I like it. I still think I would change some of the lyrics though. Drink another drink, really bothers me
GOAT
Taiyed Brodel

Post by GOAT »

I seriously have a boner for sa on this song, especially his first verse.
Music's what i need to keep my sanity

FreeRayLiotta
Taiyed Brodel

Post by FreeRayLiotta »

So after about 500 listens. The beginning lyrics sound like Nick is crying about some bitch again.. and the drink another drink line certainly recalls Whiskey and Wine - but it isn't about alcohol. My take on this song is somewhat layered. On one hand I feel like it is about the creative instinct. Being driven constant to create something new. To take it higher. To create, satisfy the need and then be propelled to create again. Each time striving for something new and better.

It is also about us being victims and at the same time proponents of the consumer society. Sort of a Louis C.K. influence. We have all this amazing shit and we are still not satisfied. Will we ever be fully content or does that mean we are dead? And we are driven to consume.. to want what is new and better all the time. Darwinism dialed down to an intense time scale. Show me a beautiful woman and I'll show you a guy thats tired of fucking her. And society drives that. The advertising blah blah etc. On and on.

The lyrics would be worse if they were like Rock On. Calling out someone else. I'm cruising, don't even care about what i'm losing - more powerful than saying you and you're. Christ.. think about the Little Brother lyrics. Firewater is about Nick, but he talks about it like its someone else. Refreshing to have them talk about the struggle in the first person rather than acting like they are above to not influence fans?

Best album roll out ever. Maybe best single since the radio died and they finally realized that. First total indie record and Ralston as a fan/friend/producer instead of some shithead with future royalties in mind.

Just clap your hands, just clap your hands to the beat!!!!!!! That shit is over. I am super excited.. and am willing to let myself go into that feeling and not worrying about being let down. I mean... the fucking intro guitar and bass and drum interplay is insane. What I always wanted. 311 to show off how fucking tight and good they are as musicians without some stupid badadopdotdadeeda bullshit. We'll see, but hey, we've hung in this long. We are due for the record we have all been ruminating about for a decade now.
Rock for Light
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

^This is why I like FreeRayLiotta^