Is it just me, or has 311 entered uncharted territory?

Three Eleven.
$ayzak
Taiyed Brodel

Is it just me, or has 311 entered uncharted territory?

Post by $ayzak »

How many bands can you think of who pretty much adhere to a 'stay positive' message?

How many bands can you think of who have churned out 11 original major label records?

How many bands can you think of who have been together for parts of at least 4 decades? (80's, 90's, 00's. 10's)

If you can find any other bands who have done the same things, please let me know.
Mindspin
But needles never ever love

Re: Is it just me, or has 311 entered uncharted territory?

Post by Mindspin »

$ayzak wrote:How many bands can you think of who pretty much adhere to a 'stay positive' message?

How many bands can you think of who have churned out 11 original major label records?

How many bands can you think of who have been together for parts of at least 4 decades? (80's, 90's, 00's. 10's)

If you can find any other bands who have done the same things, please let me know.
How many bands even have the positive message in the first place? 311 are the kings of that category.

And I wouldn't say 80s for 311. There was an earlier incarnation of the band with a couple members in 88, but 311 themselves say their first gig was June 1990 and that wasn't even the final incarnation of the band yet. So if we take take out the 80s...

The only other band I can think of that has rocked it from the early 90s (with the same line-up), and has turned out 11 albums is my favorite band, Clutch.
09/12/95, 09/15/95, 08/17/97, 11/26/99, 03/08/00, 06/09/00, 11/11/00, 09/23/01, 08/18/02, 07/24/03, 08/01/03, 10/27/03, 03/11/04, 07/13/04, 08/14/05, 08/08/06, 08/02/07, 07/13/08, 06/17/09, 06/24/2010, 07/05/13 = 21 shows

Everything you do, it comes back to you, whatever it may be
To just know hate, well that's so sad. What a life, strife
There's much power in anger, but love's a bigger banger
It's a waste to be a hater
All the angst shit is just cheesy
Be positive
Take on the Love and the good Karma
Suckas look up to thugs, they like the attitude... the harder they act just to hide their insecurity
The only thing you always try to be is hard, because you're scared that someone might pull your card
I don’t dis people, I dis ideas. And when I say dis I mean disagree
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Shiny »

Regarding the 'stay positive' message, it doesn't seem very difficult for them to have stayed on brand with that gimmick. If anything, I think it's a bit worse to never have never totally moved beyond the boring "we should all do this thing because doing this thing is good to do but don't do that thing because you won't live free" lyrics. But lyrics were never really their strongest suit, and the 'message' continues to be a little embarrassing, which I'll excuse on Stereolithic because instrumentally and structurally and melodically it was fucking awesome.

I'll agree with the other points. It's definitely rare. Also the point that Mindspin elaborated on. There have literally been NO LINEUP CHANGES since before their debut album over 20 years ago. Seriously, how many bands have had this degree of longevity and haven't even had anyone so much as sit out for one leg of a tour?
Last edited by Shiny on Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Shiny »

And NO ONE died of a weed overdose...
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

ska wrote:
Shiny wrote: Also the point that Mindspin elaborated on. There have literally been NO LINEUP CHANGES since before their debut album over 20 years ago. Seriously, how many bands have had this degree of longevity and haven't even had anyone so much as sit out for one leg of a tour?
We as fans are very lucky and take this for granted. One of the reasons I love them so much.
I think 311 takes their fans for granted more than the fans take them for granted.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

Smoke wrote:
ska wrote:
Shiny wrote: Also the point that Mindspin elaborated on. There have literally been NO LINEUP CHANGES since before their debut album over 20 years ago. Seriously, how many bands have had this degree of longevity and haven't even had anyone so much as sit out for one leg of a tour?
We as fans are very lucky and take this for granted. One of the reasons I love them so much.
I think 311 takes their fans for granted more than the fans take them for granted.
could not disagree more.

Later
ImageImage
:evil5:
$ayzak
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $ayzak »

Smoke wrote:
ska wrote:
I think 311 used to take their fans for granted, but that they don't any more. I think they probably feel really lucky to have a lot of the same fans they started off with 20 years ago.
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

I'm not trying to slag 311. Cause they are my homies.

But I am interested to know how you think that fans take them for granted more?
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Shiny »

311 takes ur mom for granted
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

Shiny wrote:311 takes ur mom for granted
They aren't the only ones
bbshorts
Hear it all the time, come back rewind

Post by bbshorts »

Shiny wrote:and haven't even had anyone so much as sit out for one leg of a tour?
Umm...

But hey, shit happens and we're all human.
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Shiny »

ohh yeah, I had forgotten about the John Freese thing. Still though, if that was the only time it's happened then that's still pretty rare.
dj3stripes
Taiyed Brodel

Post by dj3stripes »

or josh freese
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

seriously one of the most important drummers and you fucked up his name! HOW RUDE!
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Shiny wrote:ohh yeah, I had forgotten about the John Freese thing. Still though, if that was the only time it's happened then that's still pretty rare.
Yeah this is news to me as well
:evil5: TB>BB
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Shiny »

fatlip wrote:seriously one of the most important drummers and you fucked up his name! HOW RUDE!