Anyone else a little dissapointed?

Three Eleven.
CSM
Massive Laminate Fortress

Re: Anyone else a little dissapointed?

Post by CSM »

It's OK to not like the album (I don't love every song) but as others have said you should really question your prejudices going into listening to before discounting it...
Alvarez311
Everything I'm sayin' you can dismiss

Post by Alvarez311 »

there are moments where the guitars are rocking and i feel there should be a solo or some good fill ins....and there aren't. also a couple of singing parts where it keeps going and im thinking..........youre not gonna change it up? The raps are all on the same beat of words almost more like spoken word....could have used different tempos with raps. As for interesting...it gets an A.....for creativity.....A......for rockin.....B+.......catchyness....B+ (I think Nick tried SO GD hard to make things so catchy, but i think he overdid it with the notes he hits....saw that live performance....they were winded and could not stay in key to save their lives....so why push it so much. Nick since like he's a saxophone....he tries to make EVERY word a different note....like, its OVERKILL bro. BUT......I still dig this album.....i think its a cool new style.
"Be positive and love your life"
hexumjunkie
We catch the drift and ride moving tides

Post by hexumjunkie »

Rude_Boy wrote:Yes. Would it kill them to make a song without harmonizing in it? That said I love the instrumentals. Just disappointed in the vocals much like the last 3 albums.
Well said!, at least the harmonizing part. I really like some songs alot there just cruising along then all of a sudden this big harmony from nick. I guess I just need to listen a dozen more times today.
Hostile_Apostle311
Listen to the DJ just rappin and things

Post by Hostile_Apostle311 »

A buddy of mine asked me a couple years ago, "do you think 311 will ever sound like old-school 311 again?" My response: "If you're asking do i think they'll be in their mid-forties and rapping MORE, no, I don't think so." After Evolver came out, we should have all been prepared for the evolution in 311's music. That album was such a stepping stone in their maturity and creativity. It's naive to think that there will be a Grassroots or Blue 2.0, which has already been said. And quite frankly, I wouldn't want that. It's one thing for young, hungry musicians to be rapping and fucking the bullshit, it's different when you're in your forties and are millionaires. Let them do what they do best. Make good music. Universal Pulse was disappointing for me simply because I feel they didn't try. At all. This album kicks the shit out of Universal Pulse in every way and is the closest you will ever get to that old-school 311 feel. Enjoy the albums while they are still able to make them. Nothing lasts forever, my friend.
"And sometimes I pray
waiting for some bright holiday.
So I bought myself a gun.
And I'm right back where i'm from."
Alexnova
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Alexnova »

311chaos wrote: Not even once? Clips? I would guess you would be a bit curious?
I stopped listening to 311 after DTOM dropped. Since people have been enormously enthusiastic on this album, I want to listen.
:evil5:
jtaskew
The fish who keeps on swimming

Post by jtaskew »

Hostile_Apostle311 wrote:A buddy of mine asked me a couple years ago, "do you think 311 will ever sound like old-school 311 again?" My response: "If you're asking do i think they'll be in their mid-forties and rapping MORE, no, I don't think so." After Evolver came out, we should have all been prepared for the evolution in 311's music. That album was such a stepping stone in their maturity and creativity. It's naive to think that there will be a Grassroots or Blue 2.0, which has already been said. And quite frankly, I wouldn't want that. It's one thing for young, hungry musicians to be rapping and fucking the bullshit, it's different when you're in your forties and are millionaires. Let them do what they do best. Make good music. Universal Pulse was disappointing for me simply because I feel they didn't try. At all. This album kicks the shit out of Universal Pulse in every way and is the closest you will ever get to that old-school 311 feel. Enjoy the albums while they are still able to make them. Nothing lasts forever, my friend.
Well said.
I know some of us here are in our mid-late 30's and I know for sure I am not the same person I was 5-10-15 or 20 years ago. I don't mind the classic sound but maturing your sound is good too. Besides who wants to see Nick and SA bust a hip on stage trying to be what the were? If you expect to see them well into the future they need room to write music to fit the future of the band and their performances. If that does not click with you then wait a decade or so. We should be maturing along with them. It is a journey. :bigsmurf:
As Seen On TV
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

Alexnova wrote:
311chaos wrote: Not even once? Clips? I would guess you would be a bit curious?
I stopped listening to 311 after DTOM dropped. Since people have been enormously enthusiastic on this album, I want to listen.
If you don't like it, don't bother coming back to tell us. we probably won't care
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

311 on that new shit, bitches be like "how come?"
Bitches want my old shit, buy my old albums.
:evil5: TB>BB
FrixHex311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by FrixHex311 »

this is the album that I have been waiting for. Not dissapointed at all. and if oyu are then you probably love Universal Pulse or Uplifter
3/9/02, 9/4/02, 7/21/03, 8/27/03
8/7/05, 9/11/05, 3/11/06, 9/3/06
7/4/07, 7/5/07, 3/11/08, 7/24/08
5/12/09, 12/5/09, 3/11/10, 7/13/12
7/29/14, 8/2/15, 8/5/16
311 The best no CONTEST!
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

I wouldn't go that far Frix. I didn't hate either UP or Uplifter. I haven't heard this album yet, but based on what I have heard and what people whose opinions I respect, I think I'm going to be just fine with it.
FrixHex311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by FrixHex311 »

I was saying that if you dont like Stereolithic then you probably love UP or Uplifter's songs
3/9/02, 9/4/02, 7/21/03, 8/27/03
8/7/05, 9/11/05, 3/11/06, 9/3/06
7/4/07, 7/5/07, 3/11/08, 7/24/08
5/12/09, 12/5/09, 3/11/10, 7/13/12
7/29/14, 8/2/15, 8/5/16
311 The best no CONTEST!
GOAT
Taiyed Brodel

Post by GOAT »

Fuck you jimmy. Silver HATER!!

I love you
Music's what i need to keep my sanity

$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

you're damn right you do.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

GOAT wrote:Fuck you jimmy. Silver HATER!!

ImageImage
Rude_Boy
Swing, I'm doin' my thing

Post by Rude_Boy »

Hostile_Apostle311 wrote:A buddy of mine asked me a couple years ago.....Enjoy the albums while they are still able to make them. Nothing lasts forever, my friend.
That is the ultimate response to this question every time it comes up. It applied when Evolver came out and every other album since then. Aside from the part about UP because I think they work hard. Their tour schedule is a testament to that. But this is just the path that the bands creativity has taken. There's still good songs in it and I'll take what I can get. That said I feel insulted that they used autotune on Tranquility. That shit is for Cher and r&b singers.
Rude_Boy
Swing, I'm doin' my thing

Post by Rude_Boy »

FrixHex311 wrote:this is the album that I have been waiting for. Not dissapointed at all. and if oyu are then you probably love Universal Pulse or Uplifter
:roll: That is the dumbest thing I've heard all week and I work in customer service. Please explain your logic in the correlation between loving UP/lifter and someone's opinion of the new album.
pnutwannabe
Taiyed Brodel

Post by pnutwannabe »

Rude_Boy wrote:
FrixHex311 wrote:this is the album that I have been waiting for. Not dissapointed at all. and if oyu are then you probably love Universal Pulse or Uplifter
:roll: That is the dumbest thing I've heard all week and I work in customer service. Please explain your logic in the correlation between loving UP/lifter and someone's opinion of the new album.
If you like those albums you probably have questionable taste. Add DTOM into that list as well.

bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

311 is not aging like a fine wine, we'll put it that way.
pnutwannabe
Taiyed Brodel

Post by pnutwannabe »

bcolephases wrote:311 is not aging like a fine wine, we'll put it that way.
Why am I not surprised you don't like it.

bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

pnutwannabe wrote:
bcolephases wrote:311 is not aging like a fine wine, we'll put it that way.
Why am I not surprised you don't like it.
I'm not surprised you do.