Rate 311 day 2010 on a scale of 1-10 (my review included)

Three Eleven.
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Re: Rate 311 day 2010 on a scale of 1-10 (my review included)

Post by Shiny »

is rick actually 40 now?

i remember we've used the THEY'RE NEARLY 40 argument for what feels like 10 years now
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

Shiny wrote:is rick actually 40 now?

i remember we've used the THEY'RE NEARLY 40 argument for what feels like 10 years now
4/12/70

So Nick is 39, and in less than a month... will be 40.

Tim is 2/17/70, so he's 40...

P-Nut is 6/5/75, turning 35 in June

Chad is 9/6?/70, so he's 40 in Sept

SA is 10/29/70, so he's 40 in October
greenmonkey911
Taiyed Brodel

Post by greenmonkey911 »

SA is turning 41. he's the oldest member, and has an October birthday (so he must have been born in '69)
P-Nut is turning 36 (he was born is '74)
pnutwannabe
Taiyed Brodel

Post by pnutwannabe »

robah wrote:World's smallest violin playing somewhere for you guys. Fuck that you weren't there you don't know and you never will. Shows aren't made and broke by setlists and bullshit nitpicky crap. I've been to all the 311 days but the first and I saw close to 10 new songs. They killed it and you're sitting at home beating yourself up for missing it and the only way you can feel better is to slam something you weren't even attending. It was seeing people I've met over the past 15 years. It was driving to Vegas for 30 hours. This show was so much more than "oh they played amber again."
Dead on 100%.

:evil5:
greenmonkey911
Taiyed Brodel

Post by greenmonkey911 »

the impression i got from watching it is that they actually LISTEN to the fans now

-more jamming.. taiyed anyone? (welcome > 1,2,3 coulda been smoother, but A for effort)
-less monotonous introductions to songs "this one's called.."
-SLINKY
-b-sides world premieres
-5 sets over 5.5 hours, wtf??!

if that's not enough for you people, then find another band to like, because you'll NEVER be satisfied with 311.
Rap Weasel II
The fish who keeps on swimming

Post by Rap Weasel II »

I thought it was the best 311 show I have ever seen. My only complaint would be the sound quality, maybe it sounded better on the live streme. I thought the 360 degree set up (or what ever you want to call it was pretty cool. I saw a portion of the last set from the top row in the back corner of the stage. I thought it was going to be shitty going up there, but it was a very cool perspective, I enjoy watching the crowd rock out.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

pnutwannabe wrote:
robah wrote:World's smallest violin playing somewhere for you guys. Fuck that you weren't there you don't know and you never will. Shows aren't made and broke by setlists and bullshit nitpicky crap. I've been to all the 311 days but the first and I saw close to 10 new songs. They killed it and you're sitting at home beating yourself up for missing it and the only way you can feel better is to slam something you weren't even attending. It was seeing people I've met over the past 15 years. It was driving to Vegas for 30 hours. This show was so much more than "oh they played amber again."
Dead on 100%.

Not even close. I smell buyer's remorse. I honestly don't regret skipping the trip one bit. In fact, when the show was over, I was pretty relieved and even more convinced I made the right choice.

My assessment is from the perspective of somebody who has followed 311 for what seems like forever, and seen them 20-25 times live. Not some snot nosed noob kid who's first favorite song was amber. I've been to a 311 day (one that was way better than this year's) and I've seen practically every song they played in Vegas live already except for maybe a small handful that they busted out this time.
With enough experience and history in seeing the band live, I know the difference between a solid but uninspired show and "zomg best concert evar 311 is liek totally teh shitzorz!!!!1"
311 didn't go anywhere near outside of their comfort zone for this 311 day, and they stuck with the staples and things they're in a cushy spot with and comfortable recycling over and over.
This 311 day was for the fans of the singles, and the people who weren't around or old enough to experience a 311 day when they were raw and rare and for the hardcore fans. Not just the kids who ACTUALLY think Down is "for the old-school fans"

And with the lack of any real stage show it was like 311 day on a budget for the recession because they didn't want to miss a car payment on their Tesla Roadsters.

I was much happier kickin' back with a buddy and drinking some beers and blasting the show on the tube, while getting to see the band from all sorts of camera angles that couldn't have been enjoyed from the floor, or even worse, a stadium seat. Being able to hang out and chat with other 311 fans online watching the show and do a commentary play-by-play of the show as it went on was an experience in itself, and I enjoyed every minute.

6 is a good rating. 5 being average. Definitely the worst 311 day comparatively, but overall still a solid show, and very entertaining to watch, even if a lot of the entertainment was derived from laughing at the guys for screwing up songs they wrote, and SHOULD HAVE BEEN PERFORMING MORE OFTEN in the last 20+ years.

A lot of the fun of a 311 day is derived from the experience of being around all the fans of the same band, and running the town for a few days, and I'm sure Vegas is a blast, with or without 311 playing there. Mad props go out to everyone who made it to the show, and I'm legitimately glad that the ones who went were satisfied with a bare-bones 311 day, and could be happy surviving on the scraps that us true old school fans have left for them :)

Later
ImageImage
wbrycew
Taiyed Brodel

Post by wbrycew »

6 is way too low. They played Slinky! You all complain about 311 being predictable, and they finally did something that wasn't. This should be getting great ratings. Chad playing on a second drum set at a 311 show? Unheard of!

It should get at least an 8. I enjoyed myself the entire time. It doesn't compare to 2004 in NOLA, but then again I was 19 at the time and it's much easier to get excited about this stuff as a teenager. The band actually had way bigger screwups in 04 than this year, so we can all stop pretending that it was a perfect show.

I think that it's time for you guys to give up if you feel this negatively about 311 day.
and in the end
the love you take
is equal to
the love you make
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

greenmonkey911 wrote:if that's not enough for you people, then find another band to like, because you'll NEVER be satisfied with 311.
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
dj3stripes
Taiyed Brodel

Post by dj3stripes »

greenmonkey911 wrote:
if that's not enough for you people, then find another band to like, because you'll NEVER be satisfied with 311.

then what would they spend their time on internet forums doing except for demanding nude pictures of members?
pnutwannabe
Taiyed Brodel

Post by pnutwannabe »

Well it's pretty clear Jordan is a jaded, so his opinion really isn't that valid. Plus who cares what got you into the band or when you started listening. You're just being a retarded elitist cock, per usual.

Plus 99% of the people I see bitching were people that couldn't go. Pissed I went to Vegas and had to sell your ticket Jordan?

Cerpin Taxt
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Cerpin Taxt »

I'm pretty sure traveling across multiple time zones to go to this show was not worth it, one day you all will realize it when you grow up and come down from your vegas high. What it comes down to is that this show was not worthy of a special 311 day title, in all honesty nothing THAT exciting happened. It was just a really long show with a few rarities. Of course anyone who went will say to us who didn't "you're just jealous and bitter" WELL FUCK YOU. You're just trying to justify dropping an insane amount of money on seeing a bunch of aging used up has-beens with hair plugs, molester beards, and pop diva like wardrobe switcheroos.

Anyone who went to the show of course will think it was blemish free, thats all in your mind so you don't feel like a gluttonous asshole for spending money on an extended length mediocre concert. Don't tell us what we saw on the stream. The sound was far clearer than your arena experience....Didn't sound the greatest. We had the setlist as it unravelled....Nothing unexpected aside from Slinky(wasn't that good either TBH). When things got boring we had the liberty to mute, minimize the window and shop,brush up on current events,jerkoff etc. FOR FREE. FREE. FREE. If i took a final tally of your trip I could do much more important shit with that money, meaningful things with memories that will actually stick forever. You may think this was a once in a lifetime experience, but it happens biannually and typically with better results. Some of you guys may or may not understand this but when you are financially independent, work 40+ hours a week, don't take a hand out from anyone and struggle to get by....the least of your concerns is 311 day. Well that's me so don't get all sore if I say I'm glad I did not go because the little extra money I do have would not have been well spent going to vegas this past week.
Who brought me here..............?
Forsaken depraved and wrought with fear

ImageImage
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

pnutwannabe wrote:Well it's pretty clear Jordan is a jaded, so his opinion really isn't that valid. Plus who cares what got you into the band or when you started listening. You're just being a retarded elitist cock, per usual.

Plus 99% of the people I see bitching were people that couldn't go. Pissed I went to Vegas and had to sell your ticket Jordan?

Not even close kid. I was actually just extremely happy to see your fat ass not sitting around the house in front of the TV eating twinkies for once. A sight far more rare than Slinky and Brodels combined

Later
ImageImage
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

greenmonkey911 wrote:SA is turning 41. he's the oldest member, and has an October birthday (so he must have been born in '69)
P-Nut is turning 36 (he was born is '74)
SA is 41? Really? For some reason... i'm thinking you're right, now that you say it... but I thought they were all born in '70 except for P-Nut ... and mistakenly thought he was 5 years younger... what I must have been thinking was that on 6/10/90 for 311's first show opening for Fugazi ... P-Nut was 16... which makes sense, his birthday is June, so like it was 5 days after he TURNED 16. That's nuts. The rest of the guys were either 19 or 20 at the time. SA, Tim, and Nick were 20, and Chad was 19.

Brushin' up on my 311 timeline... haha.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

Cerpin Taxt wrote:I'm pretty sure traveling across multiple time zones to go to this show was not worth it, one day you all will realize it when you grow up and come down from your vegas high. What it comes down to is that this show was not worthy of a special 311 day title, in all honesty nothing THAT exciting happened. It was just a really long show with a few rarities. Of course anyone who went will say to us who didn't "you're just jealous and bitter" WELL FUCK YOU. You're just trying to justify dropping an insane amount of money on seeing a bunch of aging used up has-beens with hair plugs, molester beards, and pop diva like wardrobe switcheroos.

Anyone who went to the show of course will think it was blemish free, thats all in your mind so you don't feel like a gluttonous asshole for spending money on an extended length mediocre concert. Don't tell us what we saw on the stream. The sound was far clearer than your arena experience....Didn't sound the greatest. We had the setlist as it unravelled....Nothing unexpected aside from Slinky(wasn't that good either TBH). When things got boring we had the liberty to mute, minimize the window and shop,brush up on current events,jerkoff etc. FOR FREE. FREE. FREE. If i took a final tally of your trip I could do much more important shit with that money, meaningful things with memories that will actually stick forever. You may think this was a once in a lifetime experience, but it happens biannually and typically with better results. Some of you guys may or may not understand this but when you are financially independent, work 40+ hours a week, don't take a hand out from anyone and struggle to get by....the least of your concerns is 311 day. Well that's me so don't get all sore if I say I'm glad I did not go because the little extra money I do have would not have been well spent going to vegas this past week.

well put. That being said I had the money to afford the trip, but like I stated in another topic, when the time came around to actually get my plane ticket, I realized it wasn't worth it, and I had better things to spend my money on. And after seeing the show, I know I was right. I'm sure the band really appreciates you all pooling money for their diaper and baby formula fund though. Maybe we can pay for SA's hair plugs next?

Later
ImageImage
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

Jordan311 wrote:
pnutwannabe wrote:
Dead on 100%.

Not even close. I smell buyer's remorse. I honestly don't regret skipping the trip one bit. In fact, when the show was over, I was pretty relieved and even more convinced I made the right choice.

My assessment is from the perspective of somebody who has followed 311 for what seems like forever, and seen them 20-25 times live. Not some snot nosed noob kid who's first favorite song was amber. I've been to a 311 day (one that was way better than this year's) and I've seen practically every song they played in Vegas live already except for maybe a small handful that they busted out this time.
With enough experience and history in seeing the band live, I know the difference between a solid but uninspired show and "zomg best concert evar 311 is liek totally teh shitzorz!!!!1"
311 didn't go anywhere near outside of their comfort zone for this 311 day, and they stuck with the staples and things they're in a cushy spot with and comfortable recycling over and over.
This 311 day was for the fans of the singles, and the people who weren't around or old enough to experience a 311 day when they were raw and rare and for the hardcore fans. Not just the kids who ACTUALLY think Down is "for the old-school fans"

And with the lack of any real stage show it was like 311 day on a budget for the recession because they didn't want to miss a car payment on their Tesla Roadsters.

I was much happier kickin' back with a buddy and drinking some beers and blasting the show on the tube, while getting to see the band from all sorts of camera angles that couldn't have been enjoyed from the floor, or even worse, a stadium seat. Being able to hang out and chat with other 311 fans online watching the show and do a commentary play-by-play of the show as it went on was an experience in itself, and I enjoyed every minute.

6 is a good rating. 5 being average. Definitely the worst 311 day comparatively, but overall still a solid show, and very entertaining to watch, even if a lot of the entertainment was derived from laughing at the guys for screwing up songs they wrote, and SHOULD HAVE BEEN PERFORMING MORE OFTEN in the last 20+ years.

A lot of the fun of a 311 day is derived from the experience of being around all the fans of the same band, and running the town for a few days, and I'm sure Vegas is a blast, with or without 311 playing there. Mad props go out to everyone who made it to the show, and I'm legitimately glad that the ones who went were satisfied with a bare-bones 311 day, and could be happy surviving on the scraps that us true old school fans have left for them :)

Later
I don't know if I agree with EVERYTHING you said -- but I definitely understand your point of view, and agree with you on more points than not. I stand by what I said earlier in this post. I tried to break down all the things that make a 311 day show meaningful... from the fans, to "running the town" as you said, the parties, and the performance itself. I don't think you can look at the 2004 setlist, and then look at 2010 ... and still say that 2010 was superior.I just don't. That's not a knock on those that had a great time, it's just an observation... based on what was played. I'm glad to hear that they're getting away from the robotic/predictable song introductions. Being a polished band means knowing your material well -- but Jordan has a great point. It's been way too much of Freak Out, Applied Science, Down, Fuck The Bullshit. Honestly, if I went to a show .. and didn't hear those songs, I wouldn't feel bad. They have so much MORE stuff they could be doing.

I'm happy to hear that they're doing more jams... but I wish they'd improv more and just have fun. As they get older... more jazzy and funky jams would show off their musicianship ... and give Nick and SA a break from the vocals.

Not trying to be negative, or rain on anyone's parade ... just saying, 311 could have done a lot more to make that event special -- it's not about the lighting fx, the stage, or the intermission entertainment. It's all about the music. You don't go to 311 day just to hear a 5 hour set. You go to be part of something special... and yes, the fans are part of that... but the songs they play matter.

That's the heart of the criticism that Jordan made, and I think he's justified.

--g
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

wbrycew wrote:6 is way too low. They played Slinky! You all complain about 311 being predictable, and they finally did something that wasn't. This should be getting great ratings. Chad playing on a second drum set at a 311 show? Unheard of!

It should get at least an 8. I enjoyed myself the entire time. It doesn't compare to 2004 in NOLA, but then again I was 19 at the time and it's much easier to get excited about this stuff as a teenager. The band actually had way bigger screwups in 04 than this year, so we can all stop pretending that it was a perfect show.

I think that it's time for you guys to give up if you feel this negatively about 311 day.
I think your point is fair... and based on setlist alone, I'd go 7-8 ... mainly because of Slinky, and the debut of Get Down and Sun Come Through -- two songs that I adore.

I also agree that it doesn't compare to 2004, but you sell yourself short. That show had nothing to do with your age. I was 22 at that show, and yes, it was my first and only 311 day ... but the performance was amazing, so many surprises and rarities. If you doubt it, go back and watch the dvd.

Good point about the screw ups .... I remember you and me breaking down Other Side of Things in '04. No show that's that long is going to be error free. They make little mistakes like that all the time, i'm sure... but as fans, do we care? No... Everything is super-hyped and analyzed simply because it's "311 Day"... and it's held to a higher standard. Part of that is the band's own doing, because they hype the thing to death... and part of it is over-reaching expectations from fans.

I don't expect 311 to play error-free at any given show, and i'm certainly not going to bitch about chad missing a beat, or tim missing a riff and having to start over. They are amazing musicians, and I could never do what they do. So I appreciate their musicianship... I just think that overall, it's not the best show they've ever done. That's all.
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

pnutwannabe wrote:Well it's pretty clear Jordan is a jaded, so his opinion really isn't that valid. Plus who cares what got you into the band or when you started listening. You're just being a retarded elitist cock, per usual.

that's harsh... and I think we're a little bit passed elementary school name-calling...
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

Cerpin Taxt wrote:I'm pretty sure traveling across multiple time zones to go to this show was not worth it, one day you all will realize it when you grow up and come down from your vegas high. What it comes down to is that this show was not worthy of a special 311 day title, in all honesty nothing THAT exciting happened. It was just a really long show with a few rarities. Of course anyone who went will say to us who didn't "you're just jealous and bitter" WELL FUCK YOU. You're just trying to justify dropping an insane amount of money on seeing a bunch of aging used up has-beens with hair plugs, molester beards, and pop diva like wardrobe switcheroos.

LMAO... wow. Again somewhat harsh... but I understand your perspective. It's about priorities for a lot of people. I don't think they're a bunch of "washed up has-beens". Far from it... but aside from Slinky and the new song debuts, it wasn't an extraordinary set. I wouldn't say mediocre... but definitely not the best.
Cerpin Taxt
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Cerpin Taxt »

Vallon wrote:
LMAO... wow. Again somewhat harsh... but I understand your perspective. It's about priorities for a lot of people. I don't think they're a bunch of "washed up has-beens". Far from it... but aside from Slinky and the new song debuts, it wasn't an extraordinary set. I wouldn't say mediocre... but definitely not the best.

never said washed up
Who brought me here..............?
Forsaken depraved and wrought with fear

ImageImage