16. India Ink
17. What Was I Thinking
18. Jackpot
19. Creatures (For a While)
20. Encore:
20. Omaha Stylee
21. Feels So Good
22. Down

the show was pretty bad ass. I must say never ending summer was an amazing opener, with the city skyline in the background on the shores of lake michigan, it was the perfect start. I think 311 noticed throughout the show that chicago fans had soaked up the new album and were ready to hear it.
I am now a huge fan of mix it up, i didn't think i liked it at first but it started growing on me and now when i heard it live it's official favorite, the crowd was loving it too.
India ink was realllllly aweomse live as well.
Man i wish i was still at the show, 311 is the shit and i love the uplifter shirt i bought
"Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends"
:evil5:
GET LIFTED
http://soundcloud.com/joeshmo38/sets/lifted/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Re: chicago show

Post by Jordan311 »

nice man. I was gonna ask how Mix It Up was live. Good to know it's as badass as I imagined. I hope they play it in Boston (if I get a ticket)

Later
ImageImage
CatCity
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CatCity »

lol same set as kc ... almost :shock:
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Jorge »

Samsupnthismothafuka wrote:lol same set as kc ... almost :shock:
They've been playing the same four songs to close for about 5 shows now. So far, this tour's setlists are some of the worst they've had years. If you love the new album, then sure, it's fine. But for those who don't like the record, the song selection this tour is simply terrible.

For some reason, I'll still go see 'em. I'll have fun, but ultimately, I should be having so much more.

They should call this tour "Summer Blockbuster Tour". Like a blockbuster movie, it has a lot of hype, has some spectacular moments, and certainly entertains, but relative to the rest of the tours going on, it's not very good, and is obviously made for profits.
flyersfan900
Taiyed Brodel

Post by flyersfan900 »

does anyone know why what was i thinking is a live staple?
FrixHex311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by FrixHex311 »

bc it rocks
3/9/02, 9/4/02, 7/21/03, 8/27/03
8/7/05, 9/11/05, 3/11/06, 9/3/06
7/4/07, 7/5/07, 3/11/08, 7/24/08
5/12/09, 12/5/09, 3/11/10, 7/13/12
7/29/14, 8/2/15, 8/5/16
311 The best no CONTEST!
kateric10
Massive Laminate Fortress

Post by kateric10 »

flyersfan900 wrote:does anyone know why what was i thinking is a live staple?
PNuts bass solo.
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Jorge »

Their too old to be taken seriously when they rap, so FTBS and FSG are no go's for P-Nut's solo.
Broken Side
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Broken Side »

I personally loved the concert and the set list. Maybe it's just because I love the new album and wanted to hear it live, the songs all owned so much live. I was happy with the old songs they chose also. The crowd went crazy the whole time, and with beers and nothing but clouds of ganja smoke rolling over the chicago skyline how could you not have a good time?
"Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends"
GET LIFTED
http://soundcloud.com/joeshmo38/sets/lifted/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HydroponicGrassroots
Electrified by the sound

Post by HydroponicGrassroots »

mix it up and all mixed up should not be played at the same show. imo
John Michael
See the good in everybody

Post by John Michael »

Jorge wrote:
They've been playing the same four songs to close for about 5 shows now. So far, this tour's setlists are some of the worst they've had years. If you love the new album, then sure, it's fine. But for those who don't like the record, the song selection this tour is simply terrible.

For some reason, I'll still go see 'em. I'll have fun, but ultimately, I should be having so much more.

They should call this tour "Summer Blockbuster Tour". Like a blockbuster movie, it has a lot of hype, has some spectacular moments, and certainly entertains, but relative to the rest of the tours going on, it's not very good, and is obviously made for profits.
they have a new cd out...why wouldn't they play new material?

it seems like common sense to me
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Element »

never seeing 311 live again
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Jorge »

John Michael wrote:
Jorge wrote:

they have a new cd out...why wouldn't they play new material?

it seems like common sense to me
Certainly. This tour is in support of the new record. Play it. The problem is that they are relying heavily on the new record in their sets. They could easily play a few songs here and there to compliment the classic 311 sets, but they aren't. Instead, they are loading the Uplifter tracks with their singles while throwing the same few "rare" tracks in the mix. I think the new record is garbage, so this is an obvious problem for me. Why pay money for the same songs I always see, along with tracks that make me cringe? Beyond that, why see multiple shows when they aren't changing up setlists at all?

These shows are obviously geared toward growing the 311 brand. They don't care about fans, only about new customers.
dj3stripes
Taiyed Brodel

Post by dj3stripes »

Hey jorge, you state the obvious. I felt the same way about from chaos and that record got toured on for 2 years man. There's no sense complaining about it or speculating conspiracy theories about who 311 wants to come to their shows. This isn't some band that came out of retirement to put on one last tour to fund their funerals. This is a band who is still making records. Just take it for what it is. A tour supporting their latest release. You had to realize at some point that after so many records they'd eventually only have room for mainly singles in their setlist, this is why the 90s were the best time to see a 311 show.
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

Jorge, I think you are way off base on this one.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

i agree with nate. this has nothing to do with the new fans, but more of just supporting their new cd. do you realize how many bands do this? you really cant knock them for promoting the new album heavily. what did nick say in that one interview, something like they dont wanna be known for just playing the same older catalog songs over and over again, playing these new songs is spicing things up a bit whether you like the album or not. your comment will be relevant if they continue to do this next summer, but right now, you have nothing.
:evil5: TB>BB
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Jorge »

I suppose you guys are right. I came to my conclusions after a drunken conversation with my buddy about the show in KC. He mentioned how often he felt bored, and that at this show, this was the first time he has ever heard Nick ask how many people were there seeing 311 for the first time, and it got me thinking. I ended up connecting things that weren't really there, which ultimately has little value. "It's just spec, Uncle Bob."

3Stripes, you are right about 311 getting older, and having to play their singles and new tracks. Though, when From Chaos was released, they were on the Warped Tour. However, even then they only played 2-3 From Chaos tracks out of the 9 or so total. After the Warped Tour, they still continued to merely play 4 or 5 From Chaos tracks out of the 22-25 total songs. So, I struggle to see how From Chaos was toured for 2 years. <25% does not seem like touring an album to me.

Granted, Nick doesn't want to play the same old tracks over and over, and playing tracks from this new album does mix things up, but at the same time, don't they have older tracks that they never play that could still mix things up? Even playing the new album, they could still mix things up, which they haven't. Check out the past 5 or 6 shows' setlists. You know they will start with Never Ending Summer, Beautiful Disaster, All Mixed, It's Alright, Come Original, Mix it Up, Freeze Time, and then Daisy Cutter. They will end with Hey You, India Ink, WWIT, Jackpot, and Creatures, while the encore will have Down and Omaha Stylee with a track from Music or Golden Sunlight.

Eugene, OR
1. Never Ending Summer >
2. Beautiful Disaster
3. All Mixed Up >
4. It
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

I look at it this way. We had our fun. Let new fans enjoy the new shit, even if you think it's garbage. There are so many bands that have more heart and soul right now than 311 ever had.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
jmoo861
I got a cool capacity to toast and ill

Post by jmoo861 »

We can always just hope they start booking more two night stands....

May 4, 2009 Asheville, NC The Orange Peel
<Night 1>

1. Homebrew
2. Hive
3. From Chaos
4. All Mixed Up
5. T & P Combo
6. Champagne
7. Beautiful Disaster
8. Silver
9. Crack The Code
10. Applied Science
11. Purpose
12. Full Ride
13. Visit
14. Nutsymtom
15. Down
16. Amber
17. Wake Your Mind Up
18. Hey You
19. Sick Tight
20. Feels So Good
e:
21. Omaha Stylee
22. Creatures (For A While)

May 5, 2009 Asheville, NC The Orange Peel
<Night 2>

1. Beautiful Disaster
2. Random
3. Don
dj3stripes
Taiyed Brodel

Post by dj3stripes »

amen for the 2 shows in one stop notion, and yes, atlanta is damn near guaranteed a great time. 311 feeds them the goods for being the first sell out show for their careers.