:311:
[quote]WORDS FROM NICK:
Greetings friends.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Re: UPLIFTER!

Post by $lmjimy311 »

JuicyJ wrote:
$lmjimy311 wrote:unless you believe that your team is gonna win everygame...you arent a fan.
Ugh...that's just being an ignorant/blind homer. If I remember correctly, you play fantasy and do pick'ems like I do.....do you always pick your team to win no matter what?

Come on....I bleed Burgundy & Gold but there are certain games in the season where you just know that you'll come up short. I believe my team HAS A CHANCE at winning every game but you have to be realistic sometimes and not let your fandom skew your judgement~
im talkin about havin faith in your team. you can know they're gonna lose a game, but you still gotta have faith in them to pull through
:evil5: TB>BB
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

After reading JuicyJ's quote up there................

I AM FREAKIN EXCITED FOR THIS ALBUM

I WANT IT NOW

Later
ImageImage
:evil5:
prsand311
Hear it all the time, come back rewind

Post by prsand311 »

Does anyone have any Photoshop/ zooming skills? If so, we may be able to get some song titles.

http://www.311.com/Picture/PNUT-AT-THE- ... 0700A6F0F7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You see the Dry erase board in the background, it has song names on there. I tried zooming in but it was very blurry. There are a couple other pics on the official site that may work.
wbrycew
Taiyed Brodel

Post by wbrycew »

JuicyJ wrote:
wbrycew wrote:I'm sorry guys. I thought this was a 311 fan board. Clearly I'm mistaken.
Do you follow any sports? Do you have a favorite team? If so, how do you feel/react when your team loses games they should have won? You'll probably say things like...

"There's absolutely NO excuse why _________ shouldn't be winning with all those talented players"
(or in this case, musicians)

311 is like the Washington Redskins or several other franchises....they have a history/tradition of being a winning team & have trophies/rings to prove it. However, they are currently a losing team & definitely not making it happen out there.....

Hopefully this "Uplifter" album will turn around the "311 franchise" and make them a contender again~
This is true in the case of things like sports where there is a black and white difference between winning and losing. There is no distinct "winning" or "losing" in the field of creativity. Negativity towards 311 is not a clear parallel to negativity towards a sports team that doesn't win.

We're talking about a band, and everybody on this board thinking that they're "losing" is what I'm tired of. People thinking that they're done is a matter of opinion (and highly debatable opinion at that).

Thinking that your opinions constitute facts is narcissism at it's finest.
and in the end
the love you take
is equal to
the love you make
wbrycew
Taiyed Brodel

Post by wbrycew »

prsand311 wrote:Does anyone have any Photoshop/ zooming skills? If so, we may be able to get some song titles.

http://www.311.com/Picture/PNUT-AT-THE- ... 0700A6F0F7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You see the Dry erase board in the background, it has song names on there. I tried zooming in but it was very blurry. There are a couple other pics on the official site that may work.
I tried. The data isn't there. It's a low-res web photo. Marcello Ambriz (the photographer) probably has the source RAW image which could possibly yield actual results.

Annnnd after a quick Google search, here's his Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/people/mjambriz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And his Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Marcello ... /501213347" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And his LinkedIn account: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/6/a29/810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/anziano311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (based on the username and his profile, he's clearly a big 311 fan)

He must already know some song titles. If I was taking shots at the Hive, and there was a board with songs listed in the background, I woulda zoomed in over P-Nut's shoulder for at least one shot =)
and in the end
the love you take
is equal to
the love you make
JuicyJ
Taiyed Brodel

Post by JuicyJ »

wbrycew wrote:We're talking about a band, and everybody on this board thinking that they're "losing" is what I'm tired of. People thinking that they're done is a matter of opinion (and highly debatable opinion at that)
I don't think they are done....I still love, listen to, and support 311. Going back to the sports analogy real quick (sorry), you judge a team based on their last/most recent season. 311's last season was DTOM and it was a losing one.....even the band wasn't happy with where they went on DTOM. They ended up taking an "indefinite hiatus" and rather than hyping up this new album like they did with DTOM, they kept quiet & went to work.

So yea....after reading what the guys had to say about the album/recording experience, it sounds like we're in for a treat (doesn't it always though :O?)
$nipe
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $nipe »

This Uplifter discussion is a bit complicated. I mean, most of you don't like 311 anymore because it sounds outdated. Think about it, you don't listen to their albums anymore, because all of your music is way different; yet you still get annoyed if they pull out a sound different than their old style. So if they pull out another Blue Album, would you still enjoy it?
Image :evil5:
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

They've pretty much exhausted all of their creativity...and that was about a decade ago. I'm sure the album will sound alright but nothing spectacular. Hexum is basically brain dead now, so you can expect the same robotic phrases every concert. I commend 311 fans that have stuck through all of the bullshit. You are truly something else. Just remember, if you have to come up with an excuse for every one of 311's follies, then maybe you should move on to something a bit more advanced like Fall Out Boy or Boys like Girls.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
poolio
Taiyed Brodel

Post by poolio »

As much as the people on here are skeptical(as am I), I'm still excited to hear it. I'll probably end up purchasing it no matter what. Even if it sucks, I will probably always purchase their latest, even if it becomes the equivalent of GNR putting out Chinese Democracy. I can't help but look forward to it anyhow. Transistor got me really into music in the first place so I am not going to say that I have any sort of expectations, even if it sucks I'm still glad they keep going. Its always fun to hear new material from a band that I used to love, even if I only listen to it for the sake of nostalgia.
Don't take it so seriously and you won't be let down.
Freeze Time
Butterfly in the wind without a care

Post by Freeze Time »

Nate wrote:They've pretty much exhausted all of their creativity...and that was about a decade ago.
And you qualified to make such a judgement? I can understand people not liking a bands last few albums but to make assertions like that is just stupid.
Do Not Fist Fight The Bears
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

Freeze Time wrote:
Nate wrote:They've pretty much exhausted all of their creativity...and that was about a decade ago.
And you qualified to make such a judgement? I can understand people not liking a bands last few albums but to make assertions like that is just stupid.

You will learn over time that most of Nate's comments are just stupid.

Later
ImageImage
:evil5:
CatCity
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CatCity »

anyone ever call anal sex "asspumping"
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Jorge »

Samsupnthismothafuka wrote:anyone ever call anal sex "asspumping"
I had a buddy in middle school we called AP (short for ass pumper). We just call him the Tooth, now.
poolio
Taiyed Brodel

Post by poolio »

Pass the dutchie on the left hand side...
EvenField2BeOn
Shades of gold displayed naturally

Post by EvenField2BeOn »

I used to post on here a bit, I think I had 390 some posts. Anyway, I think "Uplifter" could be good who knows. Evolver had some very good tracks, even if only 5 good 311 songs are on it i will be happy, it will be a good addition to anyones library no? I found good songs on Evolver and a few on DTOM. So Uplifter maybe they will through us a loop like they did with Transistor hopefully. :bigsmurf:
Jorge
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Jorge »

$nipe wrote:This Uplifter discussion is a bit complicated. I mean, most of you don't like 311 anymore because it sounds outdated. Think about it, you don't listen to their albums anymore, because all of your music is way different; yet you still get annoyed if they pull out a sound different than their old style. So if they pull out another Blue Album, would you still enjoy it?
I think you're misunderstanding this situation. 311's music doesn't sound outdated. If anything, there old records are too familiar, rather than sounding old. After appreciating the subtle subtleties for so long, there is nothing new to enjoy. There is only the same sounds you've enjoyed for a while, and unfortunately, those sounds carry a lot of memories from a long span of time. It's not so much that I don't like 311 anymore, it's that I'm not at a point in my life where I need to be reliving my past. There's too many new experiences that allow me to grow into a better (hopefully) person. I will always love the classics, and Transistor will forever rest easily in my top 3 favorite albums of all time, but there new material, thus far, appeals to that same person that fell in love with 311 nearly 13 years ago (whoa).

This is the real problem with 311. They haven't grown with their fans. Their idea of a great album is a collection of songs. There might be a few songs about love and relationships, a few others about being in the band, or simply having a good time, which is fine, but the format they release their creativity through is simple, and ultimately lacks the same soul you can find in other artists or (gasp) 311's earlier work. Their song structure is easy and predictable, their reggae is cheese, and Nick's new lyrics are generic and carry little weight.

I hope to god I am proved wrong on this next record, but we'll see. I get what you were trying to say, Snipe. I just had to put my two cents because I assumed I was one of the people you were talking about. If not, my bad.
rAzzeL
Still we're down like that

Post by rAzzeL »

only reason dtom failed was because we all heard nearly the entire album before it came out, and when it did... not much improvement from the demos?>~

i never post, but i see a lot of bitchin goin on hard.

uplifter will be better than everything you hear on the radio and mtv by a longshot. Even if it isn't 311's best... how can u complain?
Vibe Merchant
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Vibe Merchant »

rAzzeL wrote:only reason dtom failed was because we all heard nearly the entire album before it came out, and when it did... not much improvement from the demos?>~

i never post, but i see a lot of bitchin goin on hard.

uplifter will be better than everything you hear on the radio and mtv by a longshot. Even if it isn't 311's best... how can u complain?
You're right, not much did improve after demos. How can I complain? I have invested a lot of time and money into the success of this band. If you buy something and it does not perform the way you want it to, then you bitch about it and return said band from where you bought them.
the only thing true, we gotta love each other. try to keep a positive vibe.
they make it tough for ya. you're cut off and lonely while you hustle for dough.
we can overcome the wrongs while we're reachin' the point.
stick together all forever. now continue to flow
wbrycew
Taiyed Brodel

Post by wbrycew »

Jorge wrote:subtle subtleties
I got a chuckle out of that.

I follow what you're saying Jorge, but 311 isn't a band that I look to for insightful lyrics, or high concept albums, or anything like that. What I expect from 311 is high-energy, fun, danceable songs. I know they will deliver this, because they always have, and that's what they've always been about. There's no reason to expect anything different.

If you want insightful lyrics, or whatever else, just pop in another artist that makes it a point to deliver that. Then, when the sun is shining and you want to have some fun, pop 311 back in.
and in the end
the love you take
is equal to
the love you make