top 5 overrated artists

Talk about your fave band or genres. Or plug your own band, whatever.
mrsphantastic
My brain is empty don't know why

top 5 overrated artists

Post by mrsphantastic »

in my opinion:

(this list doesnt neccessarily mean i wont dabble in listening to these artists every once in awhile...........)

sublime
bob marley
U2
(the) beatles
nirvana
Alexnova
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Alexnova »

I'm curious on why you think the Beatles are overrated?

I won't reject you, I would like to hear your viewpoint on it.

Also have you listened to all their albums?
Last edited by Alexnova on Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:evil5:
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

and sublime
:evil5: TB>BB
mrsphantastic

Post by mrsphantastic »

Alex wrote:I'm curious on why you think the Beatles are overrated?

i dunno man, like any 1 of those other artists i mentioned, i think theyre overpopularized.........
i just feel like everyone (or my parents generation atleast) thinks that they practically invented rock n' roll and pop........when there are probably a lot of artists in that same generation who did the same thing musically and never got the any credit for it........

dont get me wrong, i think theyre all great musicians, but i think theyve just been blown up too much.......and i definitely dont think theyre the greatest thing to come out of the UK........that (in my opinion) would have to go to pink floyd.........
Alexnova
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Alexnova »

mrsphantastic wrote:
Alex wrote:I'm curious on why you think the Beatles are overrated?

i dunno man, like any 1 of those other artists i mentioned, i think theyre overpopularized.........
i just feel like everyone (or my parents generation atleast) thinks that they practically invented rock n' roll and pop........when there are probably a lot of artists in that same generation who did the same thing musically and never got the any credit for it........

dont get me wrong, i think theyre all great musicians, but i think theyve just been blown up too much.......and i definitely dont think theyre the greatest thing to come out of the UK........that (in my opinion) would have to go to pink floyd.........
Assuming your parents lived in the 60s, and grew up with pop/rock they could see that the Beatles and other bands were creating the music and the sound of today's bands and artists.

Everyone before the Beatles did some good pop, but nothing radical.

Whne the Beatles did their experimentation they made a sound so revolutionary that their influence is with every artist and band today. Not before them.

Overpopularized? Questionable. Becuase their have been many new people who want to know more about the Beatles and want to get everything they can. So EMI/Apple Record can start making them become popular again.

But their popularity was extremely huge in the 60s, much bigger. But their popularity still continuesbecuase of how great their music is and how timeless it is.

Just my 2 cents, I think the Beatles are a bit too popular, but hey there hasn't been an artist that has done better (Opinion, lol).
mrsphantastic

Post by mrsphantastic »

slmjimy311 wrote:and sublime
sublime and marley can be killed with one stone.........

whenever i think of these two artists.......i think.......weed.

and that shouldnt be what im thinking........i should remember the music, but i dont really....
shit, you try going to jamaica and turn 1 street corner without seeing something with bob marley splattered all over it.............
and yea, i think ive heard stuff about him being involved in politics, but i think too often politics get wrapped up with the music.........and sometimes its okay( ratm etc), but whenever i see one of these marley shirts or whatever, what is he holding in his hand? a joint or something usualy, which is great, but what about the music?

and sublime? well, its common knowledge that these artists get blown up 10x bigger whenever they die.........im talkin about you too mr cobain......
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

i dont think sublime was ever claimed to have invented anything. i think marley has been given that title, but i think he was given that becuase he was what popularized regaee

i agree with you on some parts, i as a beatles fan, do think they have been given more credit than they diserve, but still think they are excellent musicians, my thoughts are the same with nirvana, love them, just dont think they deserve all the fame they got

sublime and marley though, i belive diserve what they have been given
Homebrew311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Homebrew311 »

mrsphantastic wrote:

Just because you can't look past that and listen to the music doesn't mean that both these artists havent't made great music.
Alexnova
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Alexnova »

mrsphantastic wrote:

and that shouldnt be what im thinking........i should remember the music, but i dont really....
shit, you try going to jamaica and turn 1 street corner without seeing something with bob marley splattered all over it.............
and yea, i think ive heard stuff about him being involved in politics, but i think too often politics get wrapped up with the music.........and sometimes its okay( ratm etc), but whenever i see one of these marley shirts or whatever, what is he holding in his hand? a joint or something usualy, which is great, but what about the music?

and sublime? well, its common knowledge that these artists get blown up 10x bigger whenever they die.........im talkin about you too mr cobain......
Here's the problem with Marley: He becomes to formulmatic near the end of his career.

It just sounds like the reggae he created before, nothing that evolves it.

But regardless some of his songs are absloutle classics, and the whole album Exodus is perfect form start to finish.

But I do agree with you on everything you said, except the weed part. Becuase it is rastafarian beleif that he smokes weed. And he is an icon for weed.

But I do agree it is a bad image becuase of that.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

your comment about going to jamaica and at every corner, there is someone with a marley shirt on....i highly disagree, ive been to jamaica twice, and ionly saw like a total of like 40 or so people with marley shirts on

when i think of sublime or marley, the first and only image that pops into my head is chillin in a hammick on an island with a corona next to me..its mellow and peacful
fahrenheit311
The soul that you have is electricity

Post by fahrenheit311 »

I wouldnt necessarily say these are overrated, but most people love these bands and i cant stand them...
older stuff:
rolling stones
tool
nirvana
zeppelin
rage against the machine (x10)
nine inch nails

newer stuff:
interpol
franz ferdinand
atmosphere
queens of the stone age
arcade fire
white stripes

311-ish bands mentioned on this board:
shootyz
lojic
urge
pepper
Last edited by fahrenheit311 on Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
antfarm311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by antfarm311 »

i agree with nirvana, they didn't revolutionize anything they only helped kill hair bands with the assistance of soundgarden and pearl jam. i think pink floyd is a little overrrated, i've heard better albums than the critically acclaimed "dark side of the moon"

not sure about the beatles being overrated, they started the british invasion and a lot of bands who followed in their path couldn't nearly accomplish what the fab four did. the rolling stones may have given them a run for their money at times, but the stones are EXTREMELY overrated, there comes a point in time when you need to hang it up and move on with life and the stones kept ignoring that memo, they've lost it. i know that if yoko ono didn't break the beatles up, they would've done at least 4-6 more albums and then called it quits.

but my list:

nirvana
pink floyd
the rolling stones
lynrd skynrd, however the hell you spell it
tupac
Let's put a smile on that face
Alexnova
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Alexnova »

Yes the Rolling Stones are overrated. I like a few songs, but here's my problem with them.

They follow trends. I think the Stones tried to copy SgtPepper. And also they did some disco, then Mick Jagger went crossdressing like David Bowie did, then the Stones wrote an album of political protest, becuase bands were doing it at the time.

Pink Floyd is somewhat overrated as well.
CatCity
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CatCity »

fahrenheit311 wrote:I wouldnt necessarily say these are overrated, but most people love these bands and i cant stand them...
older stuff:
rolling stones
tool
nirvana
zeppelin

newer stuff:
interpol
franz ferdinand
atmosphere
queens of the stone age
arcade fire

shootyz
lojic
urge
pepper
ur a idiot. you cant stand Lojic, Shootyz, Atmosphere, or tool??
fahrenheit311
The soul that you have is electricity

Post by fahrenheit311 »

Samsupnthismothafuka wrote:
fahrenheit311 wrote:I wouldnt necessarily say these are overrated, but most people love these bands and i cant stand them...
older stuff:
rolling stones
tool
nirvana
zeppelin
nine inch nails

newer stuff:
interpol
franz ferdinand
atmosphere
queens of the stone age
arcade fire
white stripes

shootyz
lojic
urge
pepper
ur a idiot. you cant stand Lojic, Shootyz, Atmosphere, or tool??
I never said any of those bands suck or anything. Just not into them. So i guess that makes me an idiot. Worse things have been said about bands i love (radiohead, beatles, 311, etc...)
Vibe Merchant
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Vibe Merchant »

Lojic is very kick ass.

I will very roughly quote a line i heard from the movie Without A Paddle "What happened to just listening to the music. Who cares what they did or how they did it". I agree on the base of MY OWN opinion that most of these bands do get over played. I mostly disagree with the choice of Lynyrd Skynyrd. They rock to hard. OTHER PEOPLE make them over rated with their Free Bird analysis and album cover hype, they made some awesome ass music. I mean i don't see anyone putting The Doors out there and he even got a movie made about him, i never saw that for Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Oh yeah, U2 sucks major cock.

Post by Guest »

#1 : the rolling stones (very great.. i just can't stand when people say: "THE GREATEST")
#2 : metallica (fucking bollocks)
#3 : nirvana (SHIT.)
#4 : pink fucking floyd (pft..)
#5 : white stripes (meg white sucks fucking balls)
CatCity
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CatCity »

1. ACDC ( sound like strangled cats. simple insturmentles )
2. Sublime ( stupid stoner shit that gets very annoying after a few listens )
3. Metallica ( wow they fuckin suck balls )
4. U2 ( who gives a shit about bono and his cowboy hat )
5. Nirvana ( kurt cobain was a loser, this band was simple all the shit hurt me ears. fuck em )
Last edited by CatCity on Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

oh yeah..acdc..they fucking blow.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

GOD DAMNIT, FOR THE LAST FUCKING TIME SUBLIME IS NOT STONER MUSIC

just becuase they have a few songs bout drugs doesnt make them a stoner band, look at 311, they have songs about pot that doesnt make them a stoner band

GOD IM GONNA POSTAL ON SOMEONE...GARY COLEMAN STYLE