Biggest Sell-out artists of recent times...

Talk about your fave band or genres. Or plug your own band, whatever.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Biggest Sell-out artists of recent times...

Post by Jordan311 »

Let's make a nice little list of some of the biggest sell-outs in recent times that we can think of. Should make for some interesting conversation.

To name a few:
Gwen Stefani <---(Stupid slut goes from awesome funky music in No Doubt to shitty bananas songs)

Black Eyed Peas <---(Never was really much of a fan, but I know they're a lot different now with that chick in the group. Definitely not comin' original anymore...)

Linkin Park <---(Jay-Z. 'nuff said)

Avenged Sevenfold <---(Used to be fuckin' hard metal and today at walgreens I saw them on the cover of "BOP" magazine... >_<)

Green Day <---(Also featured on the cover of Bop magazine. Their music hasn't changed ALL that much in the last couple albums, but the image change is just too much for me)

Hmmm... Those are the few that come to mind at the moment... Feel free to discuss/add names or artists, and your reasons why if you feel like elaborating...

Later
Last edited by Jordan311 on Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
:evil5:
CatCity
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CatCity »

limp bizkit
korn
sugar ray ( well mark did )
GOAT
Taiyed Brodel

Post by GOAT »

i think limp bizkit went the opposite way.
Music's what i need to keep my sanity

CatCity
Taiyed Brodel

Post by CatCity »

gettin onstage with christina was selling out man
GOAT
Taiyed Brodel

Post by GOAT »

either way they still fuckin suck and always have.
Music's what i need to keep my sanity

fahrenheit311
The soul that you have is electricity

Post by fahrenheit311 »

I hate to defend gwen but at least she kept her pop album completely seperate from no doubt. If the band wanted to take time off i dont blame her for making bazillions in the meantime.
And its not like linkin park went from some completely underground band to major stars when they did the jayz thing. They were already a popular multiplatinum group. And all they did was mash up songs.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

fahrenheit311 wrote:And its not like linkin park went from some completely underground band to major stars when they did the jayz thing. They were already a popular multiplatinum group. And all they did was mash up songs.
Yeah but they were too much all about remixes remixes remixes, all for the quick cash-in $$$$$$$$$$$
Real artists don't release so much remix shit. They make new music, not drag on old shit repeatedly. Yeah, they were multiplatinum but they deserved it. That first album was fuckin' good. I'll defend it to the death, despite the angsty shitty image they now portray... That was a good album.

Later
ImageImage
dj3stripes
Taiyed Brodel

Post by dj3stripes »

all a matter of perception as with all other topics, so i guess the previously mentioned is a waste of a post :)
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

dj3stripes wrote:all a matter of perception as with all other topics, so i guess the previously mentioned is a waste of a post :)
Just because you don't agree with someone's opinion doesn't make it a waste :roll: That's pretty ignorant of you to say.

Later
ImageImage
Cerpin Taxt
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Cerpin Taxt »

incubus
Who brought me here..............?
Forsaken depraved and wrought with fear

ImageImage
Alexnova
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Alexnova »

Cerpin Taxt wrote:incubus
Such a shame too, the song in the movie Stealth is horrible.

I think Green Day needs to get back in the studio and create something amazing. I'm so tired of hearing songs off of American Idiot.

But what's up with that Jay-Z collab, that's funny
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Re: Biggest Sell-out artists of recent times...

Post by Nate »

Black Eyed Peas <---(Never was really much of a fan, but I know they're a lot different now with that chick in the group. Definitely not comin' original anymore...)

This was a sad one.

Rancid (not too recent but most unexpected)

Agaisnt Me! (Myspace Records? fuck!)
Last edited by Nate on Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
mary
Taiyed Brodel

Post by mary »

Cerpin Taxt wrote:incubus
x2
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

311 -- just because i want to beat ray and element to saying it

i dont really think so though
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
$ayzak
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $ayzak »

fatlip wrote:311 -- just because i want to beat ray and element to saying it

i dont really think so though
The difference is, in order to sell out, someone has to "buy" it.

Limp Bizkit "sold out" with nookie, but ultra-sold-out with "rollin". I still like them though.

I think you guys coverd my list. I'll think of something later.
fahrenheit311

Post by fahrenheit311 »

Jordan311 wrote:
fahrenheit311 wrote:And its not like linkin park went from some completely underground band to major stars when they did the jayz thing. They were already a popular multiplatinum group. And all they did was mash up songs.
Yeah but they were too much all about remixes remixes remixes, all for the quick cash-in $$$$$$$$$$$
Real artists don't release so much remix shit. They make new music, not drag on old shit repeatedly. Yeah, they were multiplatinum but they deserved it. That first album was fuckin' good. I'll defend it to the death, despite the angsty shitty image they now portray... That was a good album.

Later
Their angsty image they now portray? Their first single ever was "im one step closer to the edge shut up when im talking to you." All im saying about the jayz thing is that they did nothing to change their image in a sell out type of way. Theyd done the executioners thing before that, and always seemed like they were more interested in the hip hop side of things (hence remix albums).

I thought ben kenney was a good fit for the new direction of incubus and i thought the live dvd was a sign of good things to come (extended jams, alternate versions of songs, a lot of stuff people wish 311 would do). The stealth stuff was definitely a setback, but morning view was way worse. They went head first in the direction of "drive" (theyre biggest, most recent hit at the time) and went from somewhat unpredictable to ready for radio.
Drums
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Drums »

So you guys are talking about Incubus selling out after Crow Left of the Murder?

Just curious because I think they took there chances with crow left of the murder while not selling out.
"A call out for unity
In every province and city
What do you think we've been saying
Since we first started playing"

fahrenheit311

Post by fahrenheit311 »

Im saying morning view was the only thing i considered sellout-ish because it was directly influenced by the songs (stellar, drive) that made them the most popular. Dirk bailed, which was better for the band because Ben is better suited for the "rock" sound that theyre going for now. Crow was a step in the right direction. The 4 part odyssey on the halo 2 soundtrack was really cool. The stealth soundtrack stuff is dumb.
dj3stripes
Taiyed Brodel

Post by dj3stripes »

Jordan311 wrote:
dj3stripes wrote:all a matter of perception as with all other topics, so i guess the previously mentioned is a waste of a post :)
Just because you don't agree with someone's opinion doesn't make it a waste :roll: That's pretty ignorant of you to say.

Later
i worded that wrong, i meant previously mentioned as in before the comma in my post, not the previous posts
hydropoNICK
Copin' out problems every time I can

Post by hydropoNICK »

i think if you say incubus sold out with their new stuff, the same can be said with 311 and their last two albums. for the record, i like both bands new albums just not as much as the old.