Your Musical Past

Talk about your fave band or genres. Or plug your own band, whatever.
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Re: Your Musical Past

Post by Smoke »

Feeling reflective today?
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

My musical past...

Born in the late 70's. My fist album was "the breakfast club" soundtrack. Which I listened to every night, for god knows how long, as I was going to bed. I have an older brother, by 7 years, he listened to mostly new wave music and electropop from the 80's. New Order, Bauhaus, Morrissey, The Smiths, The Cure, They might be giants, etc.... My father was a huge Beatles fan, still is, growing up it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to wake up on weekend mornings to The Beatles, which was fucking fantastic way to wake up. If it wasn't the beatles it was usually Queen or Rush. So these men influenced my musical tastes greatly growing up. During the 90's my musical tastes followed Ska's for the most part. I was in the band, Tuba player/Baritone/Trobone, wind orchestra, marching, symphonic, I was pretty good if I do say so myself. So I was/am a fan of swing and jazz, orchestral,etc.... I also got into Dave Matthews Band, and besides 311 it's the group I've seen the most live. I know people hate on DMB, but i could give a fuck...because i enjoy the hell out of them. REM was a huge influence on me too. GREEN was one of my first albums along with the B52's. I still listen to REM often, b52's not so much, but man I love some of their songs. I'm not talking about rock lobster, that one kind of annoys me.

My first concert was Morrissey in Junior Highschool during the "your arsenal" tour. What a fantastic experience. I actually met Morrissey outside and remember talking to him with my twin sister and he was mentioning how we didn't look alike (we don't) very cordial fellow really. Which made me a bigger fan. Still listen to him and the smiths about as often as 311, The Beatles. Who make up the majority of the music I always listen too. Beside them I'm a real big fan of Outkast. Which I also started listening to post high school. I fucking love their music.

These days when I'm not listening to the old mainstays of my life, I'm enjoying 2000's indie folk rock, much like ska. I have Lumineers in my car stereo at the moment, really enjoyed of Monsters and Men album. Picked them up after hearing them on SNL of all places. Mumford and Sons, etc...

I have a friend that gives me albums all the time, she knows I don't listen to the radio and we share similar music tastes. Some of the albums she's burned for me include Matt&kim, Vampire Weekend, Lumineers, Black Keys (akron baby) and keep them on regular play too.

I find my music tastes are pretty eclectic. my ipod favorites could go from The Beatles, to Ice Cube, to Morrissey, to N.Hex quintet, to classical, to Outkast... I mean this shit bounces around :-)
rchrhds29
I can show you where is the beat

Post by rchrhds29 »

Alright I'll go with mine:

I'm 31 years old born in 1982

My first musical taste was basically straight up Michael Jackson. 'Thriller' was the very first CD I ever owned late 80s / early 90s and 'Bad' and 'Dangerous' were both probably in my first 10 CD's. I also bought 'Off the Wall' rather fairly early in my CD collection, but after that I haven't bought any other MJ albums outside of 'Thriller 25'.

My parents both love the music of the 1950s & 60s so I basically rejected that era straight out very early. My mom's favorite bands are: The Beach Boys (she's a MEGA fan), The Temptations, The Platters, Elvis Presley. My dad's favorite musicians are: Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, and The Beatles.

Alright back to me :P. Outside of Michael Jackson my early musical tastes in the late 1980s and early 1990s were:
R.E.M (was a huge fan, and to some extent still am)
Boyz II Men (okay so some of my Mom's Motown tastes rubbed off)

And to be honest R.E.M, Boyz II Men & especially Michael Jackson were the only music I listened to when very young, like until 11 or 12, so were at 1993-1994, when started to further really develop.

Okay, LOL, I was white, young, a guy, and had a pulse in 1993 so yeah I got very much into Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and of fucking course worshiped Nirvana. I was still a giant fan of MJ and R.E.M though.

Than, that bitch Courtney Love had Kurt Cobain killed and the greatness that was Nirvana ended, I was like 13 or 14 at the time, and this is where I started to get into indie rock, punk rock, anti record labels / establishment / popular music.

So in high school I tended to go for bands that no one else had ever heard of, and especially hated the "hippie" music of the 1960s (outside of The Velvet Underground)
The Pixies
Sunny Day Real Estate
Operation Ivy
Reel Big Fish
Anti-Flag
Green Day ('1000 Slapped Out Happy Hours' & 'Kerplunk' only)
The Breeders
The Amps
Black Flag
Pansy Division

I was still a fan of a few mainstream bands, namely, Radiohead, Oasis, AC/DC, Metallica, Sublime, and the second I heard 'Transistor' fell in love with 311 (I had heard '311' before but wasn't a fan until 'Transistor').

In college I basically had two different groups of music I listened to.
1. Mainstream "Great & Talented" Bands: 311, Radiohead, Oasis, AC/DC

2. Poli-Punk Bands: Pretty much revolved around Anti-Flag and every band that they signed to their record label (Thought Riot, Intr5pect, The Code, Whatever it Takes, Red Lights Flash, Strike Anywhere). I was a Political Science major and very obsessed with politics.

Since graduating college my musical tastes have changed a bit, but in many ways stayed the same. Since Chris "#2" basically has ruined Anti-Flag really gave up on them and most of the other poli-punk bands aren't around anymore anyways. I've always listened to pop punk (Chixdiggit, Common Rider, The Smugglers, Go Sailor) and have very much drifted back towards it. I've been a fan of Reel Big Fish since the 1990s but in last 7 or so years they have propelled to my #2 favorite band and have really gotten back into other ska bands as well (Goldfinger, Suburban Legends, Skam Impaired). 311 has now undoubtedly owns my #1 spot, by a mile. Radiohead and AC/DC are still two of my favorites as well as Nirvana and Michael Jackson coming back into my play rotation rather recently. Still a very big fan of The Pixies, Sunny Day Real Estate (and especially their lead singer Jeremy Enigk solo stuff), but have gotten really into The Clash (who I really wasn't a fan of in high school).

So, yeah I'd say my summary goes like this:
Just Getting Started! 8 to 11 years old (90-92): Michael Jackson, Boyz II Men, R.E.M

Grunge Phase: 12 to 14 (93-95): Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam

Indie: 14 to 18 (96-99): Anti-Flag, Sunny Day Real Estate, Operation Ivy....

Political Punk & 311: 18 to 25 (1999-2006): Anti Flag & 311

311, Ska, Pop Punk, Radiohead: 26 to 31 (2007-2013): 311, Reel Big Fish and Radiohead mostly
Some songs to download:
Sunny Day Real Estate "Seven": http://zvukoff.ru/song/1401823
Reel Big Fish "Suckers": http://zvukoff.ru/song/1019787
Justin Sane "Cassette Deck, Road Trip, Grand Canyon": http://zvukoff.ru/song/1218433
Chixdiggit! "I Remember You": http://zvukoff.ru/song/1089295 (Pop Punk)
Common Rider "Classics of Love": http://zvukoff.ru/song/1086159 (Pop Punk)
rchrhds29

Post by rchrhds29 »

ska:
OMG it's really funny how much our musical tastes are similar but at the same time some VERY stark contrasts!!

I'm curious was 'Thriller' your first ever album too man?? I imagine quite a few people on here it was for and all.

The big contrast though is I absolutely loved indie Lookout Records Green Day, '1000 Slapped Out Happy Hours' and 'Kerplunk', with 1000 still being in my opinion one of the greatest pop punk albums ever released. However, we couldn't be different when it comes to 'Dookie'! God I hated (still do) 'Dookie'.

'Dookie' just for me stands as the best example of a band selling out and changing their musical style / sound to appeal to the mainstream. I mean '1000 Slapped Out Happy Hours' is seriously near pop punk perfection and 'Kerplunk' is amazing but starting with 'Dookie' Green Day doesn't even sound like the band that made those two great albums.

It sucks too because Green Day's first two albums are so excellent, like another example is Blink 182. Have you ever heard their first two albums 'Cheshire Cat' and 'Buddha'? They are fucking just excellent awesome pop punk gems man!! But after that was stupid 'Dude Ranch' and they started to bob on cock to be mainstream.

Oh, two FYI's since your still a Green Day fan:
1. Did you know that Lookout Records basically went out of business because of Green Day (and Rancid to a lesser extent)? Yup, Green Day (and Rancid) filed very large suits in 2000s against the label and won and bankrupted what many, many, many fans of pop punk consider to be the greatest independent pop punk record label of all time.

2. '1000 Slapped Out Happy Hours' actually has three b sides which just rather recently came to light...and they all are AWESOME!!! If you haven't heard them before definitely check them out: "One for the Razorbacks", "Paper Lanterns", and "Words I Might Have Ate"
Some songs to download:
Justin Sane "Cassette Deck, Road Trip, Grand Canyon": http://zvukoff.ru/song/1218433
rchrhds29

Post by rchrhds29 »

Smoke:
Hey man am curious after reading your posts...are you / or were you ever a fan of ska music? Since you were in school band just had got me wondering and all
Some songs to download:
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

When I use to skateboard I got into Ska a bit. Also 80's SKA through my brother.

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Goldfinger
Reel Big Fish
Rancid
The English Beat (probably my favorite)
rchrhds29

Post by rchrhds29 »

Smoke: Never heard of The English Beat before..could you recommend like 3 or 4 songs of theirs that I should download first?

LOL, okay yeah I have never ever ever understood why and how people label bands like Rancid..whom don't have a horn section can possibly ever be classified and called ska...I just do not get that!
Some songs to download:
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

rchrhds29 wrote:Smoke: Never heard of The English Beat before..could you recommend like 3 or 4 songs of theirs that I should download first?

LOL, okay yeah I have never ever ever understood why and how people label bands like Rancid..whom don't have a horn section can possibly ever be classified and called ska...I just do not get that!
I could see that. I actually couldn't remember alot of the ska bands names I use to listen too, because it's been so long.

English beat though I still listen too.
Here's some songs of theirs that were popular.

"I Confess"
"Save It for Later"
"Ackee 1-2-3"
"Mirror in the bathroom"
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

Because i often tried to imitate my older sister, my first musical memory was probably jagged little pill circa 95 (born in 88). Embarrassingly enough, i went through a boy band phase in the late 90s before getting turned on to rock radio. The first album in that genre i bought was bush and then 311.

In the early 2000s i rode the nu metal wave and staind was my fav band. It wasnt until my freshman year in high school that i discovered 311s older stuff and i fell in love all over again.

Since then ive become a musical nomad of sorts. I went through a hardcore phase after highschool purely for its social scene. But then i realized that were so many different kinds of music out there i liked tha id be betraying myself only listening to one.

Lately ive been on a classic rock kick. Led zep is phenomenal and also floyd. I honestly feel though that the city i live in is dominated by musical cliques. Its a war for domination amongst reggae, hardcore, and indie listeners. I probably go to metal shows most often because at least there, you can kinda be yourself. You dont see a lot of people wearing slipknot shirts at a reggae show.

But i think thats why we all love 311 so much because they dont adhere to only one school of music. They do funk, rock, metal, reggae, hip hop, and maybe even some indie (dunno havent really listened to their last album) and i dig it.

Sorry for the poor spelling and grammar.
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Shiny »

bcolephases wrote:Because i often tried to be intimate with my older sister, my first musical memory was probably jagged little pill circa 95 .
who am I to judge... but... eww, dude...
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

Shiny wrote:
bcolephases wrote:Because i often tried to be intimate with my older sister, my first musical memory was probably jagged little pill circa 95 .
who am I to judge... but... eww, dude...
WTF

And no I don't listen to BSB or Britney anymore, in case you were wondering.
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Shiny »

Wait why not?
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

Quit playing games with my heart shiny. I'm not that innocent.
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Shiny »

haha +1
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

Shiny wrote:+1
ImageImage
:evil5:
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

I just can't get into the classic stuff (with the exception of zep and floyd), mainly due to the inferior sound quality. About the only 80s ish I can get into is The Smiths. Even a lot of early 90s stuff has poor sound quality as well.

Has any one else by chance noticed an eerie similarity between the verses on "the queen is dead" and nicks verses on crack the code? I've been noticing more of these lately.
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

bcolephases wrote:I just can't get into the classic stuff (with the exception of zep and floyd), mainly due to the inferior sound quality. About the only 80s ish I can get into is The Smiths. Even a lot of early 90s stuff has poor sound quality as well.

Has any one else by chance noticed an eerie similarity between the verses on "the queen is dead" and nicks verses on crack the code? I've been noticing more of these lately.
Why yes, Yes I have. This verse in particular
Fenced in like a dog between houses
Balled up by the trouble my mouth gets
Farewell to this land's cheerless marshes
Hemmed in like a boar between arches
That's quite alright with me. Mozzer is my favorite lyricist and Nick Hexum my 2nd favorite. I also happen to know that Nick is a fan of The Smiths, as anyone rightly should be.
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

Smoke wrote:
bcolephases wrote:I just can't get into the classic stuff (with the exception of zep and floyd), mainly due to the inferior sound quality. About the only 80s ish I can get into is The Smiths. Even a lot of early 90s stuff has poor sound quality as well.

That's quite alright with me. Mozzer is my favorite lyricist and Nick Hexum my 2nd favorite. I also happen to know that Nick is a fan of The Smiths, as anyone rightly should be.
I enjoy dancing to them in my car. Heheh. But yeah I sometimes gravitate towards the "darker" aspects of music and they dared to go there in the campy 80s with songs like everyone else does, meat is murder, and that joke isn't funny anymore. My favorite lyric is "why do I smile at people who I'd much rather kick in the eye." I love how ironical they were pinning violent lyrics to upbeat music.

I like some of Cure's stuff too, and we all know how much 311 likes them. Everything else in the 80s just seems overproduced and reverbinated IMO. REM is good too i guess but never really got into them cept the mainstream 90s ish. I don't even really enjoy 80s RHCP. The 90s were just plain cool, jim.
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

bcolephases wrote:
Smoke wrote:

I enjoy dancing to them in my car. Heheh. But yeah I sometimes gravitate towards the "darker" aspects of music and they dared to go there in the campy 80s with songs like everyone else does, meat is murder, and that joke isn't funny anymore. My favorite lyric is "why do I smile at people who I'd much rather kick in the eye." I love how ironical they were pinning violent lyrics to upbeat music.

I like some of Cure's stuff too, and we all know how much 311 likes them. Everything else in the 80s just seems overproduced and reverbinated IMO. REM is good too i guess but never really got into them cept the mainstream 90s ish. I don't even really enjoy 80s RHCP. The 90s were just plain cool, jim.
I fucking love REM. Automatic for the People is a fantastic album. (not that the others aren't too, Automatic is just my favorite at this point). Particularly sweetness follows, find a river, and Star me kitten

Morrissey's lyrics are definitely very tongue in cheek (which is one of the reasons I appreciate him).The Smiths album Meat is Murder is a very dark album, IMO, and also very good. Rusholme Ruffians is a particular favorite of mine, Headmasters ritual "A CRACK ON THE HEAD, is just what you get for not asking). I think on that album of above all else the bassist Andy Rourke shined. P-nut's awesome, but Andy Rourke and can really put together a bass line.
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

Morrissey's lyrics are definitely very tongue in cheek (which is one of the reasons I appreciate him).The Smiths album Meat is Murder is a very dark album, IMO, and also very good. Rusholme Ruffians is a particular favorite of mine, Headmasters ritual "A CRACK ON THE HEAD, is just what you get for not asking). I think on that album of above all else the bassist Andy Rourke shined. P-nut's awesome, but Andy Rourke and can really put together a bass line.
YEah he does have some memorable bass lines, notably on headmaster ritual, queen is dead, and this charming man. Nick used to be my fav lyricist too before DTOM. Now its just predictable.