Need Help Finding New Bands / Music...PLEASE...PLEASE HELP

Talk about your fave band or genres. Or plug your own band, whatever.
rchrhds29
I can show you where is the beat

Need Help Finding New Bands / Music...PLEASE...PLEASE HELP

Post by rchrhds29 »

Hey, I am 29 years old and a long time dedicated 311 fan. I recently realized that I don't have any music at all from any band at all that formed after 2000, so I am feeling old, LOL. So I really hope you all can help me out and tell me about some bands that started after 2000. Here is what my taste in music is, favorite non 311 bands / songs and favorite 311 stuff:

311 Top Five Favorite Songs:
1. Salsa
2. The Continuous Life
3. Galaxy
4. Transistor
5. Tune In

311 Favorite Album: Transistor (by far, I LOVE Transistor)

Outside of 311, my other favorite band is Radiohead, they are amazing, not listening to Radiohead should be a f'ing felony.

I mainly listen to ska, punk, hard rock, and emo although my favorite 311 songs are mostly rap oriented I can't stand straight up rap, I really like rap rock but just hate straight up rap.

Okay so here are some of my other favorite bands / songs by genre:

Ska
Reel Big Fish (Beer, Sell Out, All I Want Is More, Suburban Rhythm, Drinkin', Take On Me)
Goldfinger (Superman, 88 Red Balloons)

Punk
Anti-Flag (the best political punk band ever by far, although their last three albums have been pretty bad and their first two aren't any good either lol but their 3rd through 7th albums (A New Kind of Army through For Blood and Empire) are must listen for left wingers who like punk)

Alkaline Trio (really like their early stuff...fave songs are: Take Lots With Alcohol, Private Eye, Mr. Chainsaw, I'm Dying Tommorow)

Dropkick Murphys (love Tessie and Barroom Hero)

Common Rider (a very short lived band but a great band, in my opinion the best pop punk band ever, lead singer Jesse Michaels also led Operation Ivy and another good, but not great, short lived pop punk band named Big Rig)

Hard Rock
Nirvana (I was 13 when Nevermind came out, pretty much everyone my age loves them, duh)

Rage Against the Machine (Self titled is awesome, Evil Empire is great, Live & Rare is good, The Battle of Los Angeles and Renegades both suck!!!)

AC /DC (favorite albums are Back in Black and Ballbreaker)

Emo
Sunny Day Real Estate (Rain Song, Television, Seven, Killed By An Angel)

Jeremy Enigk (if you don't know who he is he is f'ing AMAZING, he was the lead singer of Sunny Day and is great with them but his solo stuff is BEYOND AWESOME! His first album, Return of the Frog Queen, he plays and conducts a 21 piece orchestra!!! Epic sound! His third album, OK Bear, is a huge departure from that as its just him and an acoustic guitar but it's really really good too. Skip his second album, World Waits, it's not too great. Best songs from Return of the Frog Queen are: Abegail Anne, Return of the Frog Queen, and Shade and the Black Hat, and on OK Bear the song Restart is a must listen, but the whole album is good.)

Those are pretty much my favorite non 311 bands but here are other bands I listen to:
The Dandy Warhols (really, really good hippyish band)
Sublime (love self titled and 40oz is good but don't like Robbin the Hood)
The Code (short lived but great punk band)
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Metallica (their middle years, mainly the Black Album, Load, and Reload)
The Suicide Machines
Thom Yorke
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Michael Jackson (anything from Thriller, Bad, or Dangerous)
Oasis
Foo Fighters
Beck
Rob Zombie & White Zombie
Thought Riot
The Smugglers
Chixdiggit! (if you like pop punk listen to them they are great!!)
The Fire Theft (this band is three of the four members of Sunny Day Real Estate, including lead singer Jeremy Enigk, they only made one album and lasted less than a year so a lot of people don't know about them but if your a Sunny Day fan you owe it to your self to get their album, it's self titled)
Some songs to download:
Sunny Day Real Estate "Seven": http://zvukoff.ru/song/1401823
Reel Big Fish "Suckers": http://zvukoff.ru/song/1019787
Justin Sane "Cassette Deck, Road Trip, Grand Canyon": http://zvukoff.ru/song/1218433
Chixdiggit! "I Remember You": http://zvukoff.ru/song/1089295 (Pop Punk)
Common Rider "Classics of Love": http://zvukoff.ru/song/1086159 (Pop Punk)
Station
Ambassador of Style

Re: Need Help Finding New Bands / Music...PLEASE...PLEASE HELP

Post by Station »

Have you tried last.fm or pandora much? I'm not sure what to recommend because our favorite genres don't overlap much. I have been mostly into metal, electronic, or upbeat indie stuff in recent years.
logosteel
Taiyed Brodel

Post by logosteel »

one I can always go back to is G. Love. Not sure what else to tell you
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

damn, dude.. for a second i thought i had an alt i forgot about. well.. here goes:

Ska:
Folly (really a hardcore band, but they have ska breakdowns)
The Nix86 (shameless self-plug)
The Fad
Suburban Legends
Chewing on Tinfoil
Streetlight Manifesto (former Catch 22 vocalist)
Sonic Boom Six
-- it's not too easy to find post-millennium pop ska

Punk
i agree.. A-F is fantastic. they're great people individually too. kinda tools on stage. fake brit accents and they bitch about corporations but play corporate sponsored festivals (read: warped) every year in front of ATT and VANS banners. kinda lame. music is great though. surprised you don't like the first two albums. the first 4, and Blood & Empire are my favs.
so anyway.. my recommendations for punk are endless, as it is my favorite type of music.
i'll keep it post millennium to keep it short.

Propagandhi (couldn't possibly recommend them enough. they get better with every album)
Classics of Love (former OPIV/Common Rider frontman + Hard Girls as backing band)
Bomb the Music Industry (i used to dislike these guys but their new album Vacation is tits)
Iron Chic
Cheap Girls
Go Rydell
Ma Jolie
NOFX (obviously)
Censors (another shameless self-plug)
OFF! (keith morris from Black Flag/Circle Jerks)
The Observers (very classic sounding)
Red Dons (singer from The Observers)
Armalite
Paint It Black
Kid Dynamite
Lifetime (not sure this counts as post-2000)
Dananananaykroyd (not really that punk.. more of an insane-style rock)
Torche
Dead to Me
Fellow Project
The Flatliners
Jukebox Romantics
Shook Ones
Titus Andronicus
Hot Water Music
We Are the Union
RVIVR (douchebags as people, music is good though)
Andrew Jackson Jihad
Suicide File (more hardcore than punk i guess)
Modern Life is War (same)
Spraynard
Capital
Stay Gold
Devil's Brigade (bassist of Rancid/OPIV)
The Livingbrooks
Let Me Crazy
Tsunami Bomb
Piebald (if you want some pop punk)
Broadcaster (pretty straight forward 90s rock, good friends of mine)
Warm Needles
Sister Kisser
Pretty Bullshit
The Shell Corporation
Liars, Etc.

i tend to recommend my friends' labels as well.. they tend to have good stuff, a lot of it being free:
Quote Unquote Records [mix] (everything here is free)
Gruff Beard Records [gruffy punk]
Dead Broke Rekerds [punk]
Asbestos Records [ska]
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
rchrhds29
I can show you where is the beat

Post by rchrhds29 »

LOL fatlip, its really funny you mentioned Suburban Legends, because I just found out about them like 3 or 4 days ago, because they are touring with Reel Big Fish and Goldfinger and will be here in DC on the 26th and am definitely going to that concert, so since than have listened to them and like them.

Also funny you mentioned Classics of Love, as I've known about them for a few weeks, but have looked everywhere and can't find any of their stuff on the net. Do you know where I can find some of their stuff? Also, I love their name, cause I think 'Classics of Love' was Common Rider's best song by far, although I really like 'Signal, Signal' and 'True Rulers' too.

Thanks a ton fatlip, I'm gonna check out all of the ska bands as well as Piebald, I tend to go towards pop punk first, and Hot Water Music, I've heard of them before but haven't heard their stuff yet. After that I will try and check out as much of the rest of the stuff as I can find, besides the hardcore stuff as I don't go for that usually, and NOFX, as I can't stand them because I just don't like Fat Mike, he is a pretty big hypocrite (I know AF have been too, but it's like I liked them before they did that stuff so easier to forgive it, I guess), as he kicked Thought Riot off of Rock Against Bush because they wanted to play their song 'I Voted for Nader', I am a really huge Ralph Nader devotee, and kicked another band off of Rock Against Bush, I believe it was the Bouncing Souls but not positive, because they wanted to play a song that had lyrics that were very critical of billionaire Warren Buffet, who is a GIGANTIC donor to the democrats.

On Anti-Flag, two points:
1. When I said I didn't like the first two albums I meant 'Die for the Government', for me the only good song on it is "Fuck Police Brutality", and 'Their System Doesn't Work For You', which is a "compilation" of their super early stuff, and I don't think it has a single good song on it. But their actual second studio album 'A New Kind of Army' I think is one of their best in fact.

2. I have a theory on the downfall of Anti-Flag that has occurred on the last three albums starting with 'The Bright Lights of America'. It is my belief that Chris Barker, known by most as "#2", has ruined the band. He joined, I believe after 'Underground Network' but before the release of 'Mobilize', and if you notice on 'Mobilize' he wrote none of the songs and only sings back up. Than on 'The Terror State', still a really solid album, he sang lead on like maybe three songs but still wrote none of them. Than on 'For Blood and Empire' him and long time lead singer Justin Sane pretty much split the lead singer's role and "#2" wrote like I believe two songs. And I think you get where I am going, over time, and mostly starting with 'The Bright Lights of America', #2 has almost become lead singer and is now writing about half the songs on the album, and his songs usually suck and Justin's are usually solid, so yeah I think he ruined the band. You want further proof? Before joining Anti-Flag he lead the band Whatever It Takes and the one full length they put out 'Fistful of Revolution' is absolutely horrible, I mean it's just awful! So yeah, I completely blame #2.

On a similar point you should check out Justin Sane's solo record, if you already haven't, entitled 'Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Justice'. It only has like two political songs on it because he said he recorded it because he started Anti-Flag for a reason and he didn't think songs about girls, life, love, etc would fit an Anti-Flag record. I am a really big fan of his solo album and can't wait for a second one, if it ever comes, it has a unique sound though, he actually called the album folk punk, which I first laughed at when I heard it but when you listen to it the genre he invented really describes it well, as the album sounds extremely Dylanesque, as it's just him and an acoustic guitar, although Anti-Flag drummer Pat Thetic does appear on one song.

Since you suggested so much to me and we have pretty similar tastes, I'm gonna throw some back.

Okay, first pop punk, I really am a fan of pop punk:

Big Rig (only released a 5 song EP called 'Expansive Heart' but anything with Jesse Michaels singing is worth it for me)

Chixdiggit! (I absolutely love them, their best album is Pink Razors and best song, I think, is Geocities Kitty, and worst is their newest EP Safeways Here We Come)

Go Sailor (super impossible to find anything from them but lead singer Rose Melburg has the sexiest voice I've ever heard)

The Hi-Fives (really good surf / retro / pop punk, and their cover of "Tainted Love" is amazing!)

Pansy Division (first and best all gay rock / punk band ever, best album is 'Absurd Pop Song Romance' and best song is "Bad Boyfriend")

Screaching Weasel (lead singer Ben Weasel is really great singer / songwriter)

Squirtgun (lead singer is Mass Giorgini, who produced for A-F, The Queers, among other bands, and their best song is "Social" which is in the opening credits to the movie "Mallrats", my favorite movie ever, ever. Another great song is "Skater Girl", their stuff is pretty hard to find though outside of "Social")

The Bomb Bassets

The Lillingtons (best album is 'Death By Television', they are the closest I've ever heard any punk band sound to 'The Ramones', their song "I Need Some Brain Damage" sounds insanely like "I Wanna Be Sedated")

The Queers (really great pop punk)

The Smugglers (only have one good song, "Rosie", which is about and features Go Sailor lead singer Rose Melburg, but it's insanely rare, near impossible to find)

Every single one of the above bands was on the now defunct Lookout Records, which sucks because it was the absolute best pop punk label ever, they went bankrupt when stupid dumbs**t Green Day sued them for the rights to their first two albums.

Also, not sure if you know this but although Blink 182 nowadays sucks and is horrible if you can find their super rare first album "Buddha" it is a really strong record.

For political punk just about every single band from the now defunct A-F Records were really good, besides #2's band 'Whatever it Takes', the bands I know from it were:
The Code (their song "Alert, Aware, Involved" is awesome and their cover is Op Ivy's "Unity" is great too)
Thought Riot
Strike Anywhere
Intro5pect (they were synth / electro punk so they are kind of a hate em or love em band)
Red Lights Flash (German band on A-F)

Some other punk bands I'd suggest, although a lot of these are pretty well known so you most likely have heard of:
Alabama Thunder Pussy (no kidding this is the name of a band, they are southern punk)

Against All Authority

Alkaline Trio (great, great, great, dark punk band, their album 'From Here to Infirmary' is their best album and every track on it is golden)

Avail (great southern punk band, southern punk is a pretty unique sound)

Dropkick Murphys

Flogging Molly

Furious George (one of the Ramone's was in this band, cant remember which one)

Gang of Four (LOL, guessing you've heard of them, if not you better google them)

The (Young) Pioneers (another southern punk band)

The Donnas (I think the best all girl band ever)

The Suicide Machines (awesome, awesome, awesome, band, although a lot of people don't like them because they had an absolute insane number of lineup changes over their career and like every single record has a different sound, 1st album 'Destruction by Definition' is ska, 2nd album 'Battle Hymns' is hardcore, 3rd and 4th albums self titled and 'Steal this Record' are pop punk, 5th album 'A Match and Some Gasoline' is straight up punk, and 6th and final album 'War Profitteering is Killing Us All' is political punk, my faves are self titled and 'Destruction by Definition')

If your already a Suicide Machines fan and hear about lead singer Jason Navarro's new band 'Hellmouth'...DO NOT BUY THEIR ALBUM!! Hellmouth is a screamo / metal band, so unless you like that genre steer clear.

If your a fan of Rage Against the Machine, and nearly everyone here seems to be, two bands you probably haven't heard of that you should check out are:
Inside / Out (Zach de la Rocha's band before he joined RATM, only release was an EP 'No Spiritual Surrender)

One Day As A Lion (short lived band that Zach led after RATM had only one EP also and it's self titled)

Also, one of the best bands ever, guessing you have heard of them too but you never know, were The Pixies, f'ing amazing!!
Some songs to download:
Sunny Day Real Estate "Seven": http://zvukoff.ru/song/1401823
Reel Big Fish "Suckers": http://zvukoff.ru/song/1019787
Justin Sane "Cassette Deck, Road Trip, Grand Canyon": http://zvukoff.ru/song/1218433
Chixdiggit! "I Remember You": http://zvukoff.ru/song/1089295 (Pop Punk)
Common Rider "Classics of Love": http://zvukoff.ru/song/1086159 (Pop Punk)
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

did you end up checking this shit out?
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

The first half of the 2000s was pretty decent but I'd still prefer some of those bands like nirvana you mentioned over anything out the last 10 years or so. I love sirius xm lithium. Punk and hc to me are pretty much dead anyway nowadays. I've been diggin social distortion and minor threat lately.
Alvarez311
Everything I'm sayin' you can dismiss

Post by Alvarez311 »

This is just music that I've listened to over the last year and have really enjoyed (enough to push it on others)

ARTIST -- ALBUM -- 1 or 2 songs to test if you dig it (If you like the Artist/Album, I suggest checking other albums out obviously...I may list a song or 2 that are worth checking out)

John Browns Body -- Kings and Queens -- Plantation, Searchlight
Wookiefoot -- Ready or Not -- Us and Them
Matisyahu -- Spark Seeker -- Fire of Freedom, Tel Aviv'n
Hilltop Hoods -- Drinking From the Sun -- Speaking in Tongues, the Underground
Bliss N Eso -- Circus in the Sky -- House of Dreams

I would say check out the individual songs I listed....but really these are all solid albums.
so.....get your music fix son!
"Be positive and love your life"