Have you discovered any new bands lately?

Talk about your fave band or genres. Or plug your own band, whatever.
311junkee
Taiyed Brodel

Re: Have you discovered any new bands lately?

Post by 311junkee »

Shiny wrote:go growl over complex math-metal riffs and difficult time signatures ROFL MUSIC TASTES
admittedly i do get a raging boner for math metal riffs and difficult time sigs, but i could give two fucks less about growling.

breakdowns and too much growling is ruining metal for me as well as all these poser fan boys that feel like they need to dress the part. apparently you must dye your hair black and let it cover half of your face while wearing chick jeans to be a fan of metal.

and clearly you did not listen to all the clips i posted.
Jump up and down cuz that's the 311 style!
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Shiny »

it isn't impossible to like an 'indie genre' (that happens to be vastly different from your own taste) sincerely. i agree, if anyone liked the aforementioned clive tanaka track ironically or because it was 'the cool thing to do', that would be an extremely limited music fan and an ignorant asshole of a person. if you've read any of my posts in the past few years, i'm actually on the front line of mocking unnamed people for entry level hipster posturing. this whole dismissing shit as 'hipster garbage' has become an insanely cliche and annoying thing, an uniformed go-to dismissive explanation for "how is it ever possible for a person to like a type of music that doesn't sound pleasing to you." i could pull from the same reservoir of stereotypes and wonder why you could listen to something so off-putting, with little redeeming aesthetic or social attractiveness value, but really I'm a grown up now and you should be too. and also that i can mirror your attitude right back at you with your affinity for 'obscure, not mainstream... real metal'. just accept the fact that taiyed brodels is a melting pot of people with personalities that are sometimes at opposite ends of the spectrum. that our life history lead us to enjoy wildly different things, including music, but somehow at one point in our lives we happened to share a commonality in liking 311 for one reason or another. and fuck off.
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Shiny »

with that said, i actually enjoyed that sikth song that you posted for the most part
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Shiny »

so i just wanted to point out the hypocrisy here. everyone was pretty much being respectful of everyone else's music taste in this thread until your little outburst. so who's the 'hipster' here?
Alexnova
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Alexnova »

Shiny wrote:it isn't impossible to like an 'indie genre' (that happens to be vastly different from your own taste) sincerely. i agree, if anyone liked the aforementioned clive tanaka track ironically or because it was 'the cool thing to do', that would be an extremely limited music fan and an ignorant asshole of a person. if you've read any of my posts in the past few years, i'm actually on the front line of mocking unnamed people for entry level hipster posturing. this whole dismissing shit as 'hipster garbage' has become an insanely cliche and annoying thing, an uniformed go-to dismissive explanation for "how is it ever possible for a person to like a type of music that doesn't sound pleasing to you." i could pull from the same reservoir of stereotypes and wonder why you could listen to something so off-putting, with little redeeming aesthetic or social attractiveness value, but really I'm a grown up now and you should be too. and also that i can mirror your attitude right back at you with your affinity for 'obscure, not mainstream... real metal'. just accept the fact that taiyed brodels is a melting pot of people with personalities that are sometimes at opposite ends of the spectrum. that our life history lead us to enjoy wildly different things, including music, but somehow at one point in our lives we happened to share a commonality in liking 311 for one reason or another. and fuck off.
Holy shit shiny this ownz
:evil5:
311junkee
Taiyed Brodel

Post by 311junkee »

Well thought out and enlightening post my friend. I agree with everything you said.

I have discovered dozens of great bands (including indie) through TB. It's one of the only reasons i come back to this site every so often.

Although i stand behind most of what i've said, i was kind of yanking your chain, and i figured you got that.
311junkee
Taiyed Brodel

Post by 311junkee »

God damn. Ive been thinking all morning of a witty response to that post and i just cant muster a fucking thing.

Touche shiny.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

Hey 311junkie, are you a fan of Closure in Moscow, Isles & Glaciers, Tides of Man, or Circa Survive?

Personally I like them bands, but they all do kind of have that emo girljean/longhair image goin on.
Also, I wouldn't say they're exactly metal.. Kinda like some progressive rock hybrid type thang.

Later
ImageImage
311junkee
Taiyed Brodel

Post by 311junkee »

Jordan311 wrote:Hey 311junkie, are you a fan of Closure in Moscow, Isles & Glaciers, Tides of Man, or Circa Survive?

Personally I like them bands, but they all do kind of have that emo girljean/longhair image goin on.
Also, I wouldn't say they're exactly metal.. Kinda like some progressive rock hybrid type thang.

Later
Never heard of any of those bands but ill give them a listen.

Progressive hybrid rock like explosions in the sky type shit?
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

311junkee wrote:
Jordan311 wrote:Hey 311junkie, are you a fan of Closure in Moscow, Isles & Glaciers, Tides of Man, or Circa Survive?

Later

nooo not at all. you're thinking post rock. It's more like the mars volta meets idk.. nu metal/math rock or some shit. post-hardcore, maybe? idk genres... Kinda coheed and cambria-ish at times.

Here I'll link a couple tunes.
you probably wont like it if you don't appreciate male vocalists who can sing high. haha.

Closure in Moscow:

Tides of Man:

this is probably a bad example, but I hardly know these guys. They're a little heavier on the emo sound.

Later
ImageImage
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Shiny »

311junkee wrote:Well thought out and enlightening post my friend. I agree with everything you said.

I have discovered dozens of great bands (including indie) through TB. It's one of the only reasons i come back to this site every so often.

Although i stand behind most of what i've said, i was kind of yanking your chain, and i figured you got that.
nah i figured that, i just enjoyed the discourse yesterday. i'm glad we're all still friends. UNITY!
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Element »

311junkee
Taiyed Brodel

Post by 311junkee »

thank goodness my bros are down for the unity!!!
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel
Location: Birmingham, Al - currently residing in Birmingham, AL

Post by KyleRayner »

311 junkee...if you are still here...russian circles, these arms are snakes, fucked up. said all these before and you probably already know them so they aren't new but shut the fuck up.
I Want to Believe :evil5:
311junkee
Taiyed Brodel

Post by 311junkee »

KyleRayner wrote:311 junkee...if you are still here...russian circles, these arms are snakes, fucked up. said all these before and you probably already know them so they aren't new but shut the fuck up.
love russian circles

fucked up is alright

not a fan of these arms are snakes

east of the wall...give them a listen if you haven't already.
311junkee
Taiyed Brodel

Post by 311junkee »

Jordan311 wrote:
311junkee wrote:

Later

nooo not at all. you're thinking post rock. It's more like the mars volta meets idk.. nu metal/math rock or some shit. post-hardcore, maybe? idk genres... Kinda coheed and cambria-ish at times.

you probably wont like it if you don't appreciate male vocalists who can sing high. haha.

Closure in Moscow:

Tides of Man:

this is probably a bad example, but I hardly know these guys. They're a little heavier on the emo sound.

Later
i like both

downloading that closure in moscow album right now
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

Jordan311 wrote:
311junkee wrote:

Later

Closure in Moscow:

Tides of Man:

Later

i like both

downloading that closure in moscow album right now
Sweet. Glad you dig it.

I've been listening to a little more Tides of Man, and the album Dreamhouse is actually pretty damn good. A few tracks are a little too emo-sounding so they get skipped, but overall their stuff is more on the heavy side, and reminds me of early Coheed & Cambria.

good jam near the end

Later
ImageImage
311junkee
Taiyed Brodel

Post by 311junkee »

Sweet. Glad you dig it.

I've been listening to a little more Tides of Man, and the album Dreamhouse is actually pretty damn good. A few tracks are a little too emo-sounding so they get skipped, but overall their stuff is more on the heavy side, and reminds me of early Coheed & Cambria.

good jam near the end

Later
[/quote]

you should have posted that song first. good shit, love the guitars. next up on the album list.

i've tried to get into coheed but i just cant for some reason.......
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

311junkee wrote:Sweet. Glad you dig it.

good jam near the end

Later
you should have posted that song first. good shit, love the guitars. next up on the album list.

i've tried to get into coheed but i just cant for some reason.......[/quote]

haha I recommended them like literally the same day that I had first heard of them/downloaded their albums, so I really didn't know what song to post as a good example :p
but yeah, I've been jamming to their 2 albums (Dreamhouse, and Empire Theory) since I heard of em. been digging them a lot.

Later
ImageImage
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel
Location: Birmingham, Al - currently residing in Birmingham, AL

Post by KyleRayner »

goddamn second stage is so good. even if you don't like his voice, musically good. they were trying so damn hard and that was before they started all this prog rock story bullshit that was so clearly not intended in the first album. IKSSE:3 is awesome, don't get me wrong, but at some point they started drinking their own cool aid HARD
I Want to Believe :evil5: