New Flipstream videos up

Talk about your fave band or genres. Or plug your own band, whatever.
FrixHex311
Taiyed Brodel

New Flipstream videos up

Post by FrixHex311 »

hey guys i have posted my brother's band on here a few times and they had a show saturday night. On their youtube are new cover songs on Muse, Kings of Leon, System of a Down and Alice in Chains. Plus old ones from last fall of 311, incubus, rhcp, toadies etc. Check them out if you want, thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/flipstreamvideos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pccmTZngCU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwMxs9p5 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3/9/02, 9/4/02, 7/21/03, 8/27/03
8/7/05, 9/11/05, 3/11/06, 9/3/06
7/4/07, 7/5/07, 3/11/08, 7/24/08
5/12/09, 12/5/09, 3/11/10, 7/13/12
7/29/14, 8/2/15, 8/5/16
311 The best no CONTEST!
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel
Location: Birmingham, Al - currently residing in Birmingham, AL

Re: New Flipstream videos up

Post by KyleRayner »

theres a great future for cover bands. erm, excuse me, tribute bands. tell them to cover rain when i die
I Want to Believe :evil5:
FrixHex311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by FrixHex311 »

wow, richard.... they are working on their own material but getting their name out in the DFW area through their shows right now. sorry you don't approve.
3/9/02, 9/4/02, 7/21/03, 8/27/03
8/7/05, 9/11/05, 3/11/06, 9/3/06
7/4/07, 7/5/07, 3/11/08, 7/24/08
5/12/09, 12/5/09, 3/11/10, 7/13/12
7/29/14, 8/2/15, 8/5/16
311 The best no CONTEST!
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel

Post by KyleRayner »

i don't get why you called me richard. but getting your name out as a cover band will do you no good. its not that i don't approve, but its a sure way to kill a future. they seem like they know how to play instruments, they should get their name out playing their own shit. let the tribute bands play tributes. playing so many covers is just a sign to people that you are contented to a future of obscurity. if they're trying to make it, that is. if their goal is to play frat parties for a while, maybe a few shows at bars for a couple beers and 50 bucks, then hey, they play good covers, they should be proud
greenmonkey911
Taiyed Brodel

Post by greenmonkey911 »

i think he was just calling you a dick, but i have a feeling you're simply ignorant on the matter, so let me help you out.
it's a lot easier getting booked as a cover band. what's the point to writing originals if you have nowhere to play them? playing covers is a good way to establish your musicianship and style while you build your fan base. many bands start out that way.

cover shows are the only way to make real money playing, unless you have good connections AND a following large enough.
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel

Post by KyleRayner »

yeah, and your band is nowhere. it sounds you are probably the ignorant one here. also, develop your own style playing other people's music? that is major LOL. i ask you, what's the point of getting booked as a cover band? cover bands are dead ends, and once you go down that road its hard to come out, the places that book you only want you to play covers. you can always throw exceptions at me, but they are just that, exceptions. name me some bands that "made it" that started, in basically their current line up, as cover bands.

Look, all i am saying is this, after a year or two, its time to hang up the covers and start playing your own shit. he's been promoting this band forever, so i know they have been around a while. yours im not too familiar with, except you need to change your band name, but that is just personal preferencehere. but i digress... if all you can get booked for is covers after years, you are a shitty band. if my friends can get shows all the time in birmingham fucking alabama , you two kids from bigger cities should have no problem. and they quit playing cover shows after they quit qualifying for high school battle of the bands, if you know what i mean.

it was really almost a compliment, i was basically just saying these people seemed good enough to write and perform their own stuff.

but again, all this is only if you are trying to make it. if your goal is to be a cover band, the this argument is pointless.
greenmonkey911
Taiyed Brodel

Post by greenmonkey911 »

everything you've said is subjective opinion based on your experience and expectations, so here's some facts to balance things out

Exhibit 1: Zeppelin and the Stones ;) kidding aside, the first two Beatles records contained as much covers as originals. people didn't seem to mind and they played them in THEIR STYLE.
Exhibit 2: bands like Badfish, who play Sublime songs but also play originals under a different name.
Exhibit 3: The EDs. Sure it was only Tim and Nick, but there would be no tree without the roots.

it's great that your friends are having such fortunate success in Alabama, and I don't know whether or not it is a more hospitable market, but would it be silly of me to point out that each person's (and band's) path is different?

"some people live for the rules. i live for exceptions." - (the real) richard sexum
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel

Post by KyleRayner »

fair enough