Transatlantic

Talk about your fave band or genres. Or plug your own band, whatever.
Station
Ambassador of Style

Transatlantic

Post by Station »

Kind of a cheesy progressive rock supergroup. But I can't get enough of them right now. They've got Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater, Roine Stolt from The Flower Kings, Neal Morse from Spock's Beard, and Pete Trewavas from Marillion. Out pf those groups I've only ever really listened to Dream Theater, but this band has caused me to look into Spock's Beard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transatlantic_%28band%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
antfarm311
Taiyed Brodel

Re: Transatlantic

Post by antfarm311 »

HIGHLY recommend these guys to any prog rock fan. Their live albums are incredible and I only wish Neal would revive this group. Live in Europe is awesome they do an Abbey Road medley during one of their songs "Charlotte Pike" and the guys just dominate without a question. Amazing musicians, great quality. If you like songs that are 10 minutes+; this band is for you.
Let's put a smile on that face
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

Recommend me an album and I'll download it.

Later
ImageImage
:evil5:
antfarm311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by antfarm311 »

SMPT:e is a good start, their first album. Although a majority of the songs/movements were written by Neal. Bridge Across Forever is fucking epic; this has at least one song written by the entire band; Portnoy wanted more of a collective effort on that one.

Their live albums, IMO, best represent the band. Live in America & Live in Europe. Live in America has a more diverse setlist because they only wrote 5 songs, they do a few covers/medleys. The last track on Live in America is a medley from each of the band members respected bands (Spock's Beard, Marillion, DT, Flower Kings) Live in Europe is cool because Daniel Gildenlow from Pain of Salvation is on a few tracks for keyboards/vocals.

Anyway, I'd go in the order their albums were released. SMPT:e, Live in America, Bridge Across Forever, Live in Europe. There are some other releases from Neal Morse and Roine Stolt with demos from both studio albums...not all that groundbreaking.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

Too long. did not read.
Give me ONE album.
And I'll download it.

Later
ImageImage
antfarm311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by antfarm311 »

first word in the first sentence. doesn't hurt to read that much.
Station
Ambassador of Style

Post by Station »

antfarm311, I need you to be my prog rock mentor. I am loving SMPT:e and and The Light by Spock's Beard, which I just got. I also have Bridge To Forever and am getting into it. I just downloaded Space Revolver by The Flower Kings, but I haven't really listened to it yet. Your post has made me want to get the Transatlantic live albums, so I think I'll do that next.

More tips???
antfarm311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by antfarm311 »

I'd take my time with Spock's Beard. Some albums by them are just astounding and some are just bland. Their recent album is pretty good; after Neal left Nick, their drummer (very technical drummer) took over singing duties; he makes up some areas Neal was lacking but you can feel something's missing in their writing. "Snow" I'd tread lightly on, I'd have to say "Kindness of Strangers" and "The Light" are their best works.

Flower Kings and Marillion are hit and miss. FK's best albums, IMO are "Sum of No Evil" and "Paradox Hotel" Roine is just an amazing songwriter and guitar player.

Marillion have been around for a long time and it's really tough to say their absolute best, but I do recommend you start out with Misplaced Childhood. One of the best prog-ish albums around. Fish was a great frontman, but Steve Hogarth has a much wider range in singing capabilities. Check out Seasons End, the track Easter is a great listen.

I have to say about Transatlantic's live albums; the quality is just damn near perfect. Any project Mike Portnoy is in, the live recordings are phenomenal. I have some tribute band projects he's done over the years (Rush, Beatles, The Who, Zeppelin) if you're intrested I can upload them or find the links again.

In terms of other Progressive rock bands; the list is endless. I started small after Dream Theater. King Crimson, Yes, Genesis were my first true "Prog" bands; the list got bigger of course. But I can give you at least a few albums to check out by the above mentioned.

King Crimson - Red, Discipline, Beat, Three of a Perfect Pair (Once Adrian Belew and Tony Levin joined the band, they combined 80s new wave and funk into progressive rock and took it in another direction.)

Yes - Fragile, The Yes Album, Close to the Edge, Drama (Roundabout on Fragile is the track most people are aware of, but Heart of the Sunrise is their best song on that album.)

Genesis - Any album before Duke. Duke is still a good prog-pop album, Peter Gabriel was the "artistic flair" of the band. Supper's Ready, the quintessential prog song.
Station
Ambassador of Style

Post by Station »

So I also grabbed Fragile by Yes, but I haven't listened to it yet. I've never heard anything by them. I want to hear all of this music that you're talking about so bad. Right now I'm just obsessed with Transatlantic and The Light by Spock's Beard. From King Crimson I have heard In The Court Of The Crimson King and some from Discipline. Some of their stuff has been a little too experimental for me.

p.s. I couldn't find a non-FLAC version of Transatlantic - Live In Europe on either of my torrent sites. Do you have a good version?
antfarm311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by antfarm311 »

Part 1
http://w15.easy-share.com/1699664790.html

Part 2
http://w15.easy-share.com/1699664788.html

They also came out with a DVD for that album. I heard it's pretty good, I've only seen "We All Need Some Light" on youtube.
Station
Ambassador of Style

Post by Station »

Thanks for the uploads.
Station
Ambassador of Style

Post by Station »

I'm currently obsessed with Heart of the Sunrise by Yes. So good.
antfarm311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by antfarm311 »

Alex, not too sure if you have been on the listening binge or anything. I wanted to recommend you another band before I head out this weekend for my wedding/honeymoon.

Porcupine Tree. This is about as Prog as Prog can get, in my opinion. Steven Wilson is the primary driving force for this band. Started out originally as a psychedelic-prog band, but evolved more when more musicians joined onto the project. They have over a dozen albums out and each one is more diverse from the previous release. Over the years they moved from psychedelic to a more metal type of prog but not the typical "metal bands" of double bass constantly, screaming vocals and shredding guitar solos. Gavin Harrison (their drummer) has got to be the most technical drummer I've seen in a loooooong time.

http://looloblog.blogspot.com/search/la ... ine%20Tree" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's a website I visit frequently to get music from. Their entire discography is on there so have at it. I personally recommend "In Absentia" and "Fear of a Black Planet".
Station
Ambassador of Style

Post by Station »

I once downloaded Porcupine Tree's entire discography. Somebody on IRC convinced me to do it. Later I was cleaning up my mp3 library and got rid of most of the albums I had never listened to, but I still have several (Stupid Dream, Moonloop). I like Stupid Dream a lot. I downloaded Fear of a Blank Planet when it came out, but I haven't listened to it. At your recommendation I'll give it a listen.

After I made this topic a month ago, I kind of slowed down my listening binge. But I randomly started listening to Yes this week. Last night I downloaded Selling England By the Pound, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, The Yes Album, and Us by Peter Gabriel. Hopefully I can get through it all. :D

Firth of Fifth is sweet.

p.s. Have a good weekend!
Station
Ambassador of Style

Post by Station »

UPDATE...

I completely love and am obsessed with all of the following:

Yes - The Yes Album
Yes - Fragile
Yes - Close to the Edge
Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans
Yes - Relayer
Genesis - Foxtrot
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
Rush - 2112
Rush - A Farewell to Kings

What's next?!
Alexnova
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Alexnova »

Aphrodite's Child - 666 (An incredible concept album of the Book of Revelations shown as a rock spectacle. A must have. You should hear the synthesizers Vangelis uses, I mean when it came out in 1972..it didn't seem possible)
Genesis - Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (best Genesis album ever)
King Crimson - Red and In The Court Of The Crimson King
Soft Machine - Third
Faust - Faust

Hmm I know this isn't quite the "progressive" music that you listed above, but check out Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock. Quite possibly the most radical change a band has ever done, and what an incredible execution.
Station
Ambassador of Style

Post by Station »

I'm starting on Lamb Lies Down on Broadway right now, because Genesis might be my favorite new thing. I've already heard In the Court of the Crimson King and it's great. I've got Red too and I've heard a couple of the songs.