Post by ronica311 »

I'll be there.
***DON'T GIVE UP YOUR INDEPENDENCE. UNLESS IT FEELS SO RIGHT***********
:evil5:
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Re: Vegas 2010 Roll Call

Post by Vallon »

dj3stripes wrote:I've heard the fan parties are kind of a let down in years past. anybody know if this is true or not?
In '04 it was insane... club was full, and there was a line down bourbon street of people trying to get in... there were many familiar faces... band/crew/mgmt ... and many bbers. I don't know about in recent years...

--g

P.s. -- whaddup 3stripes :)
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

prsand311 wrote:Ended up doing the VIP #3 Package with the Meet and Greet and floor ticket. I've never met the band so thought it would be the perfect time to. Plus my crew was able to get a free Suite at the Flamingo for the trip. So it made spending the $300 bones a little easier.

After going to the Memphis fan party, I don't think I will be going to another one. Plus I figure I am in Vegas, there is plenty more to do. But I definitely plan on doing the beach Party with the Wailers. That should be a hell of time and that wave pool looks awesome. Should be a great weekend.
They're offering fans a meet & greet for $$$ ??!!?? -- wow, that's lame...

I mean, I hope you have a great time and everything... and it's worth your $300 ... but back when I was going to shows, meet and greets were things they did for free... not as a way of capitalizing on interest.
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

wbrycew wrote:I will be there, up in the seats on PNut's side.

prsand311 wrote:Ended up doing the VIP #3 Package with the Meet and Greet and floor ticket. I've never met the band so thought it would be the perfect time to. Plus my crew was able to get a free Suite at the Flamingo for the trip. So it made spending the $300 bones a little easier.
That's sweet dude. I wanted to, but it just doesn't feel right. I've never met the band after all these years, but still I don't think I'd pay to do it.

Maybe if I haven't had the chance by 311 Day 2012, then I'll go this route.
With all due respect to prsand311 ... I think paying to see the band is lame ... and I don't fault him for taking up the opportunity if he thinks that it's worth the money -- I just find it incredibly distasteful on the part of the band. The same way I find it distasteful when sports stars go to some convention center and charge people $200 for an autograph. It's absolutely greedy and ridiculous.

311 in years past, always took the time to greet fans, take pics, sign autographs, etc... that relationship between the band and the fans made me appreciate them all that much more. I've been fortunate to meet them on several occasions ... but I never "paid" to see them. If you go out and you buy the cd's, and the t-shirts, and the concert tickets... you're supporting the band. If you promote them, and blog about them, and make fan websites about them ... you're supporting the band.

So in my mind, if you're traveling across the country to see them play in Vegas... for their own invented holiday -- that shows your dedication and love for the band ... and the band should want to mix and mingle and greet fans for that reason. These are the people that support you, and allow you to do what you do for a living. In the past, 311 never gave me the impression that they were greedy... or that they lacked love for their fans. They always have cared... so why this?

If it's a "business" decision... and they see a way to capitalize on hardcore fans wanting to meet the band, and charging extra for that ... that just... that's just low. Yes they do this for a living... and I understand the law of supply and demand... but putting a price on something like that, it just sours my view of a band that I've loved for 15 years... and that's unfortunate.
dj3stripes
Taiyed Brodel

Post by dj3stripes »

Vallon wrote:
wbrycew wrote:I will be there, up in the seats on PNut's side.

That's sweet dude. I wanted to, but it just doesn't feel right. I've never met the band after all these years, but still I don't think I'd pay to do it.

Maybe if I haven't had the chance by 311 Day 2012, then I'll go this route.
With all due respect to prsand311 ... I think paying to see the band is lame ... and I don't fault him for taking up the opportunity if he thinks that it's worth the money -- I just find it incredibly distasteful on the part of the band. The same way I find it distasteful when sports stars go to some convention center and charge people $200 for an autograph. It's absolutely greedy and ridiculous.

311 in years past, always took the time to greet fans, take pics, sign autographs, etc... that relationship between the band and the fans made me appreciate them all that much more. I've been fortunate to meet them on several occasions ... but I never "paid" to see them. If you go out and you buy the cd's, and the t-shirts, and the concert tickets... you're supporting the band. If you promote them, and blog about them, and make fan websites about them ... you're supporting the band.

So in my mind, if you're traveling across the country to see them play in Vegas... for their own invented holiday -- that shows your dedication and love for the band ... and the band should want to mix and mingle and greet fans for that reason. These are the people that support you, and allow you to do what you do for a living. In the past, 311 never gave me the impression that they were greedy... or that they lacked love for their fans. They always have cared... so why this?

If it's a "business" decision... and they see a way to capitalize on hardcore fans wanting to meet the band, and charging extra for that ... that just... that's just low. Yes they do this for a living... and I understand the law of supply and demand... but putting a price on something like that, it just sours my view of a band that I've loved for 15 years... and that's unfortunate.
I'm impartial to the notion. I've met the band (except chad) in passing before/after a few shows. Some people don't have the know-how/dedication/patience to do so and can afford to pay for it. I'm just hoping (for those that are going) that it isn't simply a long ass line of people waiting to get to a signing table, a 5 second interaction, a quick picture and on to the next fan. That would suck.

I'd rather spend 300 bucks and hit the slots, but that's my opinion. I'm probably more psyched to see some TB'ers than the band up close. Should be a rocking time.
pnutwannabe
Taiyed Brodel

Post by pnutwannabe »

To each, their own.

:evil5:
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

dj3stripes wrote:
I'm impartial to the notion. I've met the band (except chad) in passing before/after a few shows. Some people don't have the know-how/dedication/patience to do so and can afford to pay for it. I'm just hoping (for those that are going) that it isn't simply a long ass line of people waiting to get to a signing table, a 5 second interaction, a quick picture and on to the next fan. That would suck.

I'd rather spend 300 bucks and hit the slots, but that's my opinion. I'm probably more psyched to see some TB'ers than the band up close. Should be a rocking time.
First off... nice to see you man, it's been a wicked longtime. I met you in Omaha in '02, don't know if you remember... think I met you again at the fan party in '04, but not sure.

Like you, i've met the band (except p-nut) several times... I know there are many that haven't, and like you said... just don't know how, the patience, what have you... but you have to ask yourself a question. Are they doing it to provide a service for the fan that hasn't been afforded that opportunity ... or are they trying to capitalize on interest in the band to make more money. To my mind, it's the latter ... and i'm not saying it's the band that's pushing for it... I realize it's a big production, and there's lots of costs involved ... but they're making a sweet chunk of change, let's not kid ourselves.

It just doesn't pass the smell test to me... Maybe I'm wrong... maybe it's totally well-intentioned... but my experience tells me, it's a ripoff.

Call it like I see it...

When I was younger, I took pride in that dedication and know-how, that you mention. Did it make me any better than any other fan? No... But for me, it was a trip... it added a level of excitement, and a thrill... and in some sense, a sign of dedication that made me, and you, and other fans feel a little bit closer to the band. It seems silly in a way to say... but for those of us that waited by the buses in freezing temps... we earned those interactions, those pictures, those autographs. You can buy 'em... you can buy signed stuff on ebay... and you can cherish that stuff.

I cherish the memories, more than any signed cd, poster or whatever... that's all secondary mementos...

When the band sees you waiting outside... in those freezing temperatures... just to get a chance to say thank you, or wish them well... well, they might think we're a little nuts... and they'd be right. But i'm sure they also see something that can't be bought... and that's devotion.
prsand311
Hear it all the time, come back rewind

Post by prsand311 »

I see your guys point that it may be a rip off. But the $300 includes a floor ticket with early entry before doors open. Also included are the signed 311 day poster and T-shirt. From my estimation that would prob be worth $200 bucks, so basically I am probably paying $100 bucks to meet the band. I've done my fair share of camping out before and after shows and have only ever met nick, so this will be a cool opportunity to meet the rest of the guys. Plus its 311 day, so I think its a little more special. From what I have been told there is only like 30 some people for this particular meet and greet so hopefully we can get some good face time. I basically have a free hotel room, since my buddies family has a time share in the Hilton, so I figure the money I was going to spend on a hotel can go to this VIP meet and greet package.

Hope everyone has a good 311 day. I know I will.
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

prsand311 wrote:I see your guys point that it may be a rip off. But the $300 includes a floor ticket with early entry before doors open. Also included are the signed 311 day poster and T-shirt. From my estimation that would prob be worth $200 bucks, so basically I am probably paying $100 bucks to meet the band. I've done my fair share of camping out before and after shows and have only ever met nick, so this will be a cool opportunity to meet the rest of the guys. Plus its 311 day, so I think its a little more special. From what I have been told there is only like 30 some people for this particular meet and greet so hopefully we can get some good face time. I basically have a free hotel room, since my buddies family has a time share in the Hilton, so I figure the money I was going to spend on a hotel can go to this VIP meet and greet package.

Hope everyone has a good 311 day. I know I will.
Hey man,

By no means was I trying to rain on your parade... I hope it's everything you hope it's going to be, and you have a great time... I just find the overall concept distasteful.

I don't know how you appraise signed merchandise... a t-shirt overpriced as they are... $25? Used to be $15/20. Poster? $20
Concert ticket? $70 for 311 day... tops.

$300 is A LOT OF MONEY...

But whatever, it's done... you paid for it, it's your money... it's worth it for you, that's all that matters. Like I said, I hope you have a blast.

--glenn