04 Not Better for 311

Drums
Taiyed Brodel

04 Not Better for 311

Post by Drums »

A lot of you guys are saying that 311 Day 06 was just not as good as 04. But I think 06 was extremely important for the band. I'm sure most of you read what Nick said it did for them and how it brought closer together as a band and a group of lifetime friends.

What i'm saying is 06 and 04 may have to different meanings for the 2 sides of 311; 311 and the fans.

I actually don't have a great way to close the post. So thats what I got, just a thought!
"A call out for unity
In every province and city
What do you think we've been saying
Since we first started playing"

:evil5:
Hostile_Apostle311
Listen to the DJ just rappin and things

Post by Hostile_Apostle311 »

Word. I definetely think '04 was better for the fans, a more varied set and all, but '06 definetely has its place in history for what its done to the band.
"And sometimes I pray
waiting for some bright holiday.
So I bought myself a gun.
And I'm right back where i'm from."
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel
Location: Birmingham, Al - currently residing in Birmingham, AL

Post by KyleRayner »

Hostile_Apostle311 wrote:Word. I definetely think '04 was better for the fans, a more varied set and all, but '06 definetely has its place in history for what its done to the band.
i dunon about all this 04 had a more diverse set business i keep seeing people say. i mean look at it, as far as OLD shit goes, they play summer of love occasionally in normal sets, but NEVER this too hsall pass and down south, music had about the same songs shown, just replaced visit and paradise with plain, grassroots had more, including NUTSYPMTOM and GRASSROOTS and 123, blue album, traded random and sweet and purpose for dont stay home and hive, i mean of course i wish sweet was in there, but pretty good trade, and then transistor, holy shit, nuff said, cept for lack of stealing happy hours, still WAY more transistor, soundsystem, another trade off, lost strong all along and lifes not a race, but we got mindspin, not so cool but, mindspin kicks ass, from chaos, full ride WOW one of my favorites to see live now, nick looked like he was having so much goddamn fun AWWWWWWW SHIT AND added ill be here awhile, evolver, lost reconsider everything, seems uncertain, and give me a call, boohoo, and added a few dtom songs, but not many, now bsides, heres where things werent so hot, we got tribute and gap, but lost let the cards fall, outside, whtieman, and calisoca, but i mean come on, tribute kicks ass, a lot of ass, especially live, and we lost some covers, also, boohoo, i jsut dont see how you guys keep sayhing that the 04 set was more diverse, PLUS, we were entertained during the lulls at least a little bit, 06 was the shit man, yeah 04 had more bass, but this energy was rediculous, them coming together really came out to me, it seemed like they were having a lot more fun, not putting on a show for the cameras, 06>04, if you ask me
I Want to Believe :evil5:
Rap Weasel
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Rap Weasel »

KyleRayner wrote:
Hostile_Apostle311 wrote:Word. I definetely think '04 was better for the fans, a more varied set and all, but '06 definetely has its place in history for what its done to the band.
i dunon about all this 04 had a more diverse set business i keep seeing people say. i mean look at it, as far as OLD shit goes, they play summer of love occasionally in normal sets, but NEVER this too hsall pass and down south, music had about the same songs shown, just replaced visit and paradise with plain, grassroots had more, including NUTSYPMTOM and GRASSROOTS and 123, blue album, traded random and sweet and purpose for dont stay home and hive, i mean of course i wish sweet was in there, but pretty good trade, and then transistor, holy shit, nuff said, cept for lack of stealing happy hours, still WAY more transistor, soundsystem, another trade off, lost strong all along and lifes not a race, but we got mindspin, not so cool but, mindspin kicks ass, from chaos, full ride WOW one of my favorites to see live now, nick looked like he was having so much goddamn fun AWWWWWWW SHIT AND added ill be here awhile, evolver, lost reconsider everything, seems uncertain, and give me a call, boohoo, and added a few dtom songs, but not many, now bsides, heres where things werent so hot, we got tribute and gap, but lost let the cards fall, outside, whtieman, and calisoca, but i mean come on, tribute kicks ass, a lot of ass, especially live, and we lost some covers, also, boohoo, i jsut dont see how you guys keep sayhing that the 04 set was more diverse, PLUS, we were entertained during the lulls at least a little bit, 06 was the shit man, yeah 04 had more bass, but this energy was rediculous, them coming together really came out to me, it seemed like they were having a lot more fun, not putting on a show for the cameras, 06>04, if you ask me
Thats right!!!
So its come to this?
Hostile_Apostle311
Listen to the DJ just rappin and things

Post by Hostile_Apostle311 »

Ah, i would kill to have seen Down South and This Too Shall Pass live, which was obviously played at 06. But i think those were the highlights of 06 right there for us hardcore fans, u know there had to have been a good amount of people there that were like "what the fuck" when they played those songs. i hoped it opened there eyes to some more 311. but either way, they both had varied sets obviously, but in my oppinion RIGHT NOW 04 stands out the most, but that'll prolly change in the next couple of days cause my moods will change
"And sometimes I pray
waiting for some bright holiday.
So I bought myself a gun.
And I'm right back where i'm from."
Hex Offender
Cruise on by the Frowners

Post by Hex Offender »

everybody in the pit didn't miss a beat. unlike alot of other shows, 311 day has a larger ratio of hardcore fans, obviously.
juanbond7
I said I'm leaving this Babylon

Post by juanbond7 »

Hex Offender wrote:everybody in the pit didn't miss a beat. unlike alot of other shows, 311 day has a larger ratio of hardcore fans, obviously.
Agreed
FreeRayLiotta
Taiyed Brodel

Post by FreeRayLiotta »

point is.. in 04 we heard a good amount of songs that they had never played before. it made the vibe different because you thought that they could do anything or play anything at any moment.

this year i was waiting for them to jam out taiyed or something... and nothing ever happened.

all in all, i think the setlists this time around were better. this would have been no contest if they dropped color, six, and what was i thinking.

there wasnt a lot of bullshit.. i mean Gap is a terrible song - and love song should not have been played. and the fucking tribal shit needed to be changed 4 years ago. but for the most part the sets were thick with the best of their shit. this too shall pass and down south were beyond dope.

but i mean... its not like there wasw some bass, or just low bass... there was no fucking bass. and that just about ruined the show.

i do think it brought them together after a disappointing year with DTOM. and i would expect them to be excited as hell for this summer, and i bet they will change some shit up we havent though of.. and then hopefully take a few yeas off for the next album.

i think they need to keep themselves out there and do some small tours during the break.. but they should take 3 years.. write a triple disc concept album and release it in a 3 parts on what have you records.
Rock for Light
Drums
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Drums »

FreeRayLiotta wrote:point is.. in 04 we heard a good amount of songs that they had never played before. it made the vibe different because you thought that they could do anything or play anything at any moment.

this year i was waiting for them to jam out taiyed or something... and nothing ever happened.

all in all, i think the setlists this time around were better. this would have been no contest if they dropped color, six, and what was i thinking.

there wasnt a lot of bullshit.. i mean Gap is a terrible song - and love song should not have been played. and the fucking tribal shit needed to be changed 4 years ago. but for the most part the sets were thick with the best of their shit. this too shall pass and down south were beyond dope.

but i mean... its not like there wasw some bass, or just low bass... there was no fucking bass. and that just about ruined the show.

i do think it brought them together after a disappointing year with DTOM. and i would expect them to be excited as hell for this summer, and i bet they will change some shit up we havent though of.. and then hopefully take a few yeas off for the next album.

i think they need to keep themselves out there and do some small tours during the break.. but they should take 3 years.. write a triple disc concept album and release it in a 3 parts on what have you records.
Good shit. They can do whatever they want, but I do hope that they take a break, I think they need one. I just think I know (if that makes any sense) that 06 was a huge step forward for 311. We'll just have to wait and see...

P.S- Rayner wins the award for the longest run on sentence. :lol:
"A call out for unity

dj3stripes
Taiyed Brodel

Post by dj3stripes »

already been annoucned, no tour till july, so yes a break is going to occur, just not a very long one
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel
Location: Birmingham, Al - currently residing in Birmingham, AL

Post by KyleRayner »

311drums915 wrote:
FreeRayLiotta wrote:point is.. in 04 we heard a good amount of songs that they had never played before. it made the vibe different because you thought that they could do anything or play anything at any moment.

Good shit. They can do whatever they want, but I do hope that they take a break, I think they need one. I just think I know (if that makes any sense) that 06 was a huge step forward for 311. We'll just have to wait and see...

P.S- Rayner wins the award for the longest run on sentence. :lol:
well, periods are for girls
I Want to Believe :evil5:
juanbond7
I said I'm leaving this Babylon

Post by juanbond7 »

[quote="FreeRayLiotta"]

I could hear the bass pretty good. I thought it sounded as usual, but i was also under the speakers and such so I dont know.....but yeah, it sounded great to me!
FrixHex311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by FrixHex311 »

ray your never happy i swear! just be happy that our fav band does a show like that.... no other band would ever be able to play as long as 311.
3/9/02, 9/4/02, 7/21/03, 8/27/03
8/7/05, 9/11/05, 3/11/06, 9/3/06
7/4/07, 7/5/07, 3/11/08, 7/24/08
5/12/09, 12/5/09, 3/11/10, 7/13/12
7/29/14, 8/2/15, 8/5/16
311 The best no CONTEST!
MariaA
Taiyed Brodel

Post by MariaA »

I thought it sounded pretty damn good!
Alexnova
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Alexnova »

I gotta question, why doesn't 311 use What Have You records? Doesn't make much sense. Because its Nick's label, and they should have 100% control over everything they create.

The record company is bringing them down
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

Alex wrote:I gotta question, why doesn't 311 use What Have You records? Doesn't make much sense. Because its Nick's label, and they should have 100% control over everything they create.

I don't know much about this, but I guess that labels provide a whole lot of shit to artists. It's just too much of a pain in the ass to pay for everything, planout, and schedule everything, like shows and appearances.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
wbrycew
Taiyed Brodel

Post by wbrycew »

Alex wrote:I gotta question, why doesn't 311 use What Have You records? Doesn't make much sense. Because its Nick's label, and they should have 100% control over everything they create.

You understand the point of a record label, don't you? They provide the money to make the album, get it printed, get it shipped to all the record stores, promotion, etc. Nick's What Have You Records can't handle any of that stuff on a scale as large as 311. It's a tiny tiny record label, with only 2 or 3 records ever produced, and none of them got much national distribution.

It would be near suicide for 311 to try and get their own record with a wide enough distribution so all the fans could get it. It would be nearly impossible to find the album in any stores, and a majority of sales would have to be over the internet. That means less sales for 311, because a whole lot of people aren't gonna go through the hassle of online ordering.

311 seperating from their label would be good news for fans, bad news for 311 (money-wise).
and in the end
the love you take
is equal to
the love you make
wbrycew
Taiyed Brodel

Post by wbrycew »

ConfitivePosident wrote:I don't know much about this, but I guess that labels provide a whole lot of shit to artists. It's just too much of a pain in the ass to pay for everything, planout, and schedule everything, like shows and appearances.
311 plans their own tours, doesn't have much to do with the record label. They hire a tour manager to do the planning. His name's Jim, he's on the 311 bb.
and in the end
the love you take
is equal to
the love you make
Drums
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Drums »

wbrycew wrote:

You understand the point of a record label, don't you? They provide the money to make the album, get it printed, get it shipped to all the record stores, promotion, etc. Nick's What Have You Records can't handle any of that stuff on a scale as large as 311. It's a tiny tiny record label, with only 2 or 3 records ever produced, and none of them got much national distribution.

It would be near suicide for 311 to try and get their own record with a wide enough distribution so all the fans could get it. It would be nearly impossible to find the album in any stores, and a majority of sales would have to be over the internet. That means less sales for 311, because a whole lot of people aren't gonna go through the hassle of online ordering.

311 seperating from their label would be good news for fans, bad news for 311 (money-wise).
They are talking about goin indy though...
"A call out for unity

Alexnova
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Alexnova »

311drums915 wrote:
wbrycew wrote:

They are talking about goin indy though...
Yeah that's what I'm wondering about as well.

But that's what brought up my attention, otherwise I understand everything Byrce said.

Perhaps they just need a label that can give them money to do whatever they want.