04 Not Better for 311

wbrycew
Taiyed Brodel

Post by wbrycew »

311drums915 wrote:They are talking about goin indy though...
Oh, I know they're talking about it. It's great musically, because the band won't have anybody telling them what to do, what kinda songs to write, how long the first single should be, how many songs should be on the album, all that junk. They could take as much time as they want, make exactly the record they want.

But, then there's the other side of being a pro musician: money. Being on somebody else's label is great financially. It will deeply affect the pockets of 311 if they dump Volcano and go indy. They won't be able to get the albums sold anywhere. The only people who will go through the hassle to find the album would be us, the hardcore fans. 311 will lose all the sales they pick up from people hearing the new single and stopping by the record store to pick it up. The sales earned from casual fans are necessary to keep 311 in business, whether we'd like to admit it or not.

So, regardless of wheter 311 is talking about going indy, we can't forget the fact that Nick owns a multi million dollar tropical island, and has to make huge payments on it. Plus, he probably has a real expensive house in Cali. Plus, all the other band members have houses, wives, nice cars. Plus, Chad probably took on a fincancial burden in opening Drum City. The band members need dough, and the label will continue to provide it. Unless they can figure out a magical way to make big bucks as an independent band, it won't happen.

Now, with all that said, of course I still pray that 311 will go independent one day. I just don't see it as very likely.
and in the end
the love you take
is equal to
the love you make
slowpoke
Our star has long bust but now reappears

Post by slowpoke »

They could still be on their own label and get someone to distribute it. Plus, it's more profit they would be making.

Also, I think they're pretty loaded to be OK for a while. Most bands, or so I've heard, make the majority of their money touring. Shows, tshirts, albums, I think they're pretty set.
intoxication is an evolutionary force
wbrycew
Taiyed Brodel

Post by wbrycew »

slowpoke wrote:They could still be on their own label and get someone to distribute it. Plus, it's more profit they would be making.

Also, I think they're pretty loaded to be OK for a while. Most bands, or so I've heard, make the majority of their money touring. Shows, tshirts, albums, I think they're pretty set.
They already tried that once. Zack's latest album was on Nick's label, but the distribution was done by Zomba. Have a look around your local record store, or any record store anywhere near you. I bet they don't even have a section for Zack Hexum, nevermind actually having that album in stock. The distribution didn't work nearly as well as an established label like Volcano can do it.

It's true, they deftinitely make most of their money on touring and merch. But what sells out shows? Once again, as much as we don't want to admit it, sold out shows come from casual fans who like the new summer single. If only hardcore fans went to see the summer tour, we would have half empty venues all across the country. Less money for 311, because their off the label that makes them put out the hit single.

The point: Volcano is bad for us, but it helps 311 a lot. Going indy might help 311 musically a little, but it could hurt a lot in the long run financially.

And, just to restate my views, I really really wish they'd go indy, I just don't think it'd ever actually happen. I'm trying to look at it realistically so my hopes don't shoot up.
and in the end
the love you take
is equal to
the love you make
Drums
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Drums »

I see what your sayin. But there has to be more to it. I mean P-nut was serious about it, and I don't think that they would drop thier label if they couldn't afford to.

Also, I think that the record label and Saint have alot less to do with how "bad" some people think DTOM is. I personally think that 311 is capable of way better music, but thats not my point.

I think that 311 was in a kind of trough that was known only by them. Maybe they were down emotionally, or having hards times with each other? Who knows.

I'm getting this after reading what Nick said 311 Day did for the band; bringing them closer together and making them all proud to be a part of 311. I think this means a lot more to the future of 311 than the label.
"A call out for unity
In every province and city
What do you think we've been saying
Since we first started playing"

:evil5:
FreeRayLiotta
Taiyed Brodel

Post by FreeRayLiotta »

thats because its f'n zack hexum.

311 could independently produce their record, and have it distributed. They can show any disitributor their numbers for record sales, and any one of them would distribute a 311 record. They take a cut. Its very simple.

String Cheese Incident is a good example. They have their own label. SCI Fidelity records. And they are a band that makes most of their money from touring. They draw a bigger crowd than 311, maybe only becuase they have a lot more fans that follow them and go to more than one show. And they dont have any hit songs or any of that... but they have national distribution.. and they have built the label up to include a lot of younger rising jam bands. And they make money off of them too.

the only way you make real money in this world is having your own business. they might struggle at first, and we might even get more of a push to write hit singles to put some dough in their pockets.. but if they build it right. they could make more money than they ever have and nick can run for mayor of money key.
Rock for Light
FreeRayLiotta
Taiyed Brodel

Post by FreeRayLiotta »

i wanted to be happy with the sound.. and unless you were up front.. there was no bass guitar coming through the speakers.. and if you didnt notice..

like most of their brain dead audience.. you need to learn how to listen to music. you have to be able to pick out each little part of it.. otherwise you are just listening to vocals with a soundtrack behind it. The vocals should be the last thing you concentrate on.
Rock for Light
wbrycew
Taiyed Brodel

Post by wbrycew »

FreeRayLiotta wrote:i wanted to be happy with the sound.. and unless you were up front.. there was no bass guitar coming through the speakers.. and if you didnt notice..

like most of their brain dead audience.. you need to learn how to listen to music. you have to be able to pick out each little part of it.. otherwise you are just listening to vocals with a soundtrack behind it. The vocals should be the last thing you concentrate on.
EDIT: I quoted the wrong post of Ray's.

I know what you're saying, Ray. I understand going indy will be good for 311 in the long term, but that's only if they pull it off real nice. They'll be adding a whole lot of new stress to their lives, though, and they'd have to take a big financial cut to start it off. I'm not completely convinced that 311 will be willing to take on the stress or initial pay cut. Or, should I say, I don't think Nick will be willing to take the initial pay cut. I really think that's what it boils down to.
and in the end
the love you take
is equal to
the love you make