What I learned from the 311 Day 06 experience

Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

What I learned from the 311 Day 06 experience

Post by Shiny »

Yeah its long, so don't respond bitching about how you "didn't want to read all of it". But if you had an amazing 311 Day and realized with new clarity how much 311 means to you, I'll ask that you please take the time to read everything and respond with your own opinions about how the show made you feel.

The first thing that I feel that I should address is the whole ordeal over setlist quality and the relentless need to hear rarities. 311 didn't play any songs that they have never played, nor did they do any covers this time around. I think that as part of the hardcore 311 internet base, we're prone to look at those statistics from the outside perspective and pretty much claim that 311 Day must have been horrible. Why? Because we EXPECTED that they would play songs like "The Continuous Life" and others. And myself, I was thinking that I would be pissed if they didn't debut "Time Is Precious".

But that's rediculous, which leads me to feel that, for the most part, putting set lists under a microscope and yearning for rarities just distracts you from enjoying the "common" songs during the course of the show.

I'll admit, because I was in this mode of thinking, I didn't enjoy the first set very much. Hoping for "Firewater". The opening for "You Wouldn't Believe" comes on. Ohhh man, fuck. A boring single. Booo.

Then I realized that this way of thinking is unjust to our enjoyment of the band. And that thought followed into the idea that all of the criticizing that we've done since the demo fiasco has been nothing short of fucking lame. Its been nothing but an "I'm above this" trend. And its led us to not appreciating the band for what they are NOW.

After I managed to shake myself away from having such a train of thought in reference to the band, I enjoyed myself more than I ever have and my love for 311 has absolutely been renewed.

Hearing every song last night was as if I was hearing them in a new light for the first time. Who the fuck cares if Nick Hexum's voice doesn't sound like it does on the Transistor studio album or how it did at your Floodfest bootleg that you didn't go to? Even if, at a stretch, his vocal cords ruptured and he sang like cookie monster, they would still be HIS words that he's using to create the atmosphere for explaining some fleeting mood, emotion, idea, or time that can't be explained, and you can't explain either. But the songs do...amazingly.

Regardless of how Nick sounds in comparison to however he might have sounded in a different era, 311 has and will continue to release amazing material. Nick's sound is how he is now. Look past that. Look past the way that he dances or his "gay" hand motions, as people like to point out. Look past the predictable in-between song filler statements.

So cast that aside. Get rid of the obsession with demos, b-sides, and rarities. And don't feel like you can't enjoy "Amber" just because a high-contrasted 13 year old girl has it on her Myspace page. Remember that once upon a time, you heard the song for the first time and you'll definately be able to find some way to relate to it. To the words. Regardless of whether the sound was played on the radio or not. The lyrics are what's important. So is the amazing musicianship. I love 311. 311 Day refreshed this love for it so much. I love them in a completely different way now too,.

Since I'm having a new found lust of 311's lyrics and the mood that they create in the songs...my only gripe is Who's Got The Herb. It just doesn't fit in with any other 311 song. Sure, there are other songs about drugs, but they are intelligent. For example, in Offbeat Bareass, there is some "Oh, we do drugs" action going on, but the main idea of the song is pretty intelligently politcal. Do what thou wilt. Who's Got the Herb, on the other hand, is basically only saying "...We smoke weed, by the way". Its a cheap crowd pleaser and it does nothing but reaffirm the ideas of simple minded stoners that 311 IS, in fact, a band that smokes. It's obnoxious chant of various marijuana terms is laughable. "HALF OUNCES!!! KILOS!!! We here at 311 want you to feel comfortable relaxing and burning one at our shows by reminding you that we fully support it. Hell, we covered a song that does nothing but worship the idea of marijuana in itself, so let's play that right about now".

What makes me more angry is the crowd's reaction to it. I hate the "stoner band" stigma that 311 has.

And yeah, having a relatively active setlist song called "Who's Got the Herb?" makes 311 lose their credibility to an extent. And I mean that from what an outsider would think. Especially parents. They could become aware that 311 has the very high (no pun intented) potential of expanding their kid's mind to themselves, the world, and new music. But once they realize that 311 has a song where almost everyone ritualistically burns one, that positive image is shattered. Of course, here, we collectively know that there is no such thing as the evils-of-marijuana, but not everyone feels that way. Just to put it simply, having a song with the message being, without a doubt, "WEED!!!!" and nothing else, its hard to shake the "its just a stoner rock band" stigma.

But this is just a matter of opinion, naturally, and to those who chant "Who's Got the Herb!" near the end of the show, I'm still glad that you enjoy the shit out of it when they fullfill your wish and play it. Just like I personally enjoy the shit out of 311 also.
mary
Taiyed Brodel

Post by mary »

it sucks for the people who went in there with a preconcieved notion of what should have been played or what they thought they were gonna hear. instead of just letting go and getting caught up in the 5 hour moment. things tend to lose what is special about them when you take them for granted. hell frolic room sounded fuckin awesome live. i know alot of people don't like that song, but it just sound so much more full live. if you expect nothing you have everythign to gain. :cry:
dj3stripes
Taiyed Brodel

Post by dj3stripes »

the most deffinative review of the experience one had, and i i'm 100% total agreeance. good one shiny. something was differant about that show from other shows i've been to. i also expected 'super rare-tastic tracks' but i think the simplicity of the set gap performances was great enough. made the time go quicker. but that sound, that sound was very tightly kept. high production value, somebody either got replaced or some new equpiment was used, or something, i can't put my hand on it............
FreeRayLiotta
Taiyed Brodel

Post by FreeRayLiotta »

yeah, that was the "we are 311. and we're still better than everyone else" show. I agree full on. during YWB, i would go grab beer, but keep listening and grooving on my way. Nick sounded great. It was an amzing weekend. It all went by so fast. But experiences like this make you love life. they make you cherish it. I am so sad its over, beacuse i had so much fun and my head is filled with fresh love and amazing memories. but there is more that will come "so simple, the jams are in front of me" -

it was amazing. it was a different band. None of the commercial band bullshit. They could enjoy playing every single song.. single rare or whatever.. because they knew the people that were there were going to love it no matter what. they didnt have to worry about their image, or promoting the latest single or selling their record. it was all about the music.

I agree they should lay off whos got ther herb.. and they have been really, its becoming less and less of a staple in the sets.. at 311day they had to play it though.. there must have been 50 pounds of pot on that crowd. the stoner band jig is a bit tired.. but it was a party.. and thats a good party song.

...but lets not let the Parental Advisory influence the setlists.

its true that all the bitching and whining goes out the window with a show like that.. but those 3 sets, are what they setlists should look like all the time. I would rather see them bust out time is precious, firewater, the continuous life etc. during the summer tour. make the setlists fresh for this summer.

The show is what its all about. And as far as that goes, 311 is at the top of their game. a show like that makes you proud to be a 311 fan.. proud that you have been here for all the ups and downs. and excited as hell for what is next.

but that bass man.. tragic
Rock for Light
Drums
Taiyed Brodel

Re: What I learned from the 311 Day 06 experience

Post by Drums »

Shiny wrote: Its been nothing but an "I'm above this" trend. And its led us to not appreciating the band for what they are NOW.
Thank you so much for saying that. I have thought for so long that 311 fans for some reason thought they knew more about 311 than 311. I agree 100%.

I am so glad to hear the good news about 311 day. I was getting irritated as fuck reading neative posts about the show from people who didnt even go. I am soo happy for you guys that were fortunate enough to go, I just had a feeling all 311 day that the show was gonna be something special, and I was so fuckin stoked for you guys and anyone else who was going, and I dont even know you.

This new is great, it shows that 311 still has it. So fuck all of you who think that 311 is gonna lose everything or 311 is gonna break up or any of that bullshit. Your wrong, and no one knows what to expect in the future. It's 311, so I am not worried one bit, but I am stoked as hell for what is coming in the future.

Peace and love for 311 and the Excitable Ones.
"A call out for unity
In every province and city
What do you think we've been saying
Since we first started playing"

:evil5:
311Baybee
Taiyed Brodel

Post by 311Baybee »

shiny

you are an awesome writer. i really enjoyed that post.

funny thing tho, i was playing WGTH in my room once and my dad came in and he was like what the hellare you listening to, and like, i thought he was gonna throw a fit because of all the pot refrences, and i dont even smoke. he was just like "is this about pot? you dont smoke." and im like yeah its a 311 cover they did and he is like "your wierd" and for like a month he asked me if i knew who had the herb, and it was exceedinly funny. the end.
:evil5: :smurfin: er.
KyleRayner wrote:bad things in moderation are very very good
dRu84532
Sike shazam we strike with the lightning

Post by dRu84532 »

i don't have much to say other than...badass show.

this is me just being picky but i wish i could of heard a couple songs i didnt get the chance to but that always happens.

i got to meet some cool ass people down there...in fact, the random people i met in the pit that smoked me out cuz my buddy got all our weed (just for the show...we had more ;)) taken away! (6 joints/half 1/8th of KB)...THANKS A TON.
Any beat or melody can become a great song as long as you know how to compliment it.
juanbond7
I said I'm leaving this Babylon

Post by juanbond7 »

got to meet some cool ass people down there...in fact, the random people i met in the pit that smoked me out cuz my buddy got all our weed (just for the show...we had more ) taken away! (6 joints/half 1/8th of KB)...THANKS A TON

yeah, fucko's were being bitches! Me and my group got caught smoking like at least 10 times....it was just too hard not to smoke! They were being bitches about it, but at the same time I was front row so I mean....that could be why
dRu84532

Post by dRu84532 »

juanbond7 wrote:yeah, fucko's were being bitches! Me and my group got caught smoking like at least 10 times....it was just too hard not to smoke! They were being bitches about it, but at the same time I was front row so I mean....that could be why

haha that might be it....heh i still have more weed than i know what to do with.
Any beat or melody can become a great song as long as you know how to compliment it.
wbrycew
Taiyed Brodel

Post by wbrycew »

Nick was 100 percent right when he talked about 10,000 perfect strangers sharing a groove.

I know it sounds cliche, but the UNITY amongst the fans at this show was spectacular. I knew the names of everybody sitting in the seats all around me, where they were from, what songs they wanted to hear, etc. We got along as if we'd known each other forever. I went to the show by myself, and ended up meeting 4 complete strangers, and hanging out with them for the whole show. Really really good times. Even though this show had less rarities than '04, I still had a better time this year than I did back then.

Only bad part for me was the NEVERENDING ride home. I started driving after the show ended on Saturday, and I just got home a half hour ago (noon on Monday). Next time, I will certainly be saving up money ahead to get a plane ticket and a rental car.
and in the end
the love you take
is equal to
the love you make
TaiyedDreamland
Taiyed Brodel

Post by TaiyedDreamland »

wbrycew wrote: Only bad part for me was the NEVERENDING ride home.
I know how that feels! I just got back at 2am this morning, and I had class at 10am and 3 quizzes that I hadn't studied for. It was 100% worth it though! That was the most amazing 311 show I have ever seen.

I just want to make a comment about Who's Got the Herb. I can understand not liking the song, I can understand despising it, but you have to accept that it is a song that 311 has been doing for years, and it probably means something to them, not to mention countless fans. Yeah, it sucks that someone might not be able to go a show because of that, but 311 shouldn't censor their music. If they do that, they're not playing what they feel and they're letting other poeple control them and tell them what to do. As far as blatent drug songs, what about Homebrew? If you read the original lyrics to it as well, back when it was called Independence Day, it's even more obivous what that song is about. But even with the change, there's no mistaking what the chorus of that song is talking about. And also, my stoney baby? Loco? 311 has drug references throughout a lot of their songs, and that's probably because the use of those drugs has influenced them as a band. For a lot of people, those things are life changing, and if not that, they definately have a major impact on them. 311 was just in the High Times, they obviously smoke a lot, and openly admit it. It's part of who they are. If you don't like it, move on, but don't expect them to change to suit your needs and expectations. 311 day is a celebration as much for them as it is for us. I'm sure they played what they felt in their hearts was the right thing for them to play, and we have no right to judge that. Their music is an expression of what's inside of them, we can't expect to impact that, if we do, we'll lose part of what makes 311 so special to us all to begin with.
Last edited by TaiyedDreamland on Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robah
Shades of gold displayed naturally

Post by robah »

I was at 02 and 04 and it felt like they combined those two shows into one and nailed it.
Station
Ambassador of Style

Post by Station »

Awesome post, Shiny. It's exciting for me just reading about how you feel about stuff.
311electricity

Post by 311electricity »

I agree 150% with you Shiny. Those were my exact thoughts during the show...and it feels like I missed out on some of the songs just because I was hoping for Uncalm next or Borders, etc. But that show was simply amazing, every member loved playing for us bottom line. Did anyone else feel that Applied Science was the best it has ever been? Wow when those smoke jets shot up when "Electricity flowing through is all that feels good" oh my, that energy was just undescribably. Unity was another one packed with energy. I'm so sad that it is over with and can't wait until the summer tour....
From Chaos comes clarity...
juanbond7
I said I'm leaving this Babylon

Post by juanbond7 »

YES!!!!!!! Applied Science was the best it has ever been....it was amazing, it felt like i was watching it for the first time again...blew me away!!
GOAT
Taiyed Brodel

Post by GOAT »

it was sad hearing that people didn't enjoy the setlist, it was fucking amazing. i heard atleast 20+ songs i've never even heard live, and i've been to 7 shows before 311 day.

I guess you just had to have been there.
Music's what i need to keep my sanity

:evil5:
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

juanbond7 wrote:YES!!!!!!! Applied Science was the best it has ever been....it was amazing, it felt like i was watching it for the first time again...blew me away!!
fuck yeah... when they all came back in after the drum thingy.. it was like 9aogipuvhjnepoacviulsdjvapod;ifjk3qw94iovjklrvpoerkl times a bazillion

and i agree with everything shiny said.. except that frame of mind isnt necessarily a bad thing.. i've seen them a ton of times here in ny and i only have to travel 20 minutes for that, traveling about 2 days (there and back) and spending a shitload of money to see songs i normally see isnt exactly just. but, as usual, i loved every song they played anyway and appricated it for what it was because they played a bunch of songs, and they played them damn well.
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10: