A place to say what you want.

Does my logic sound retarted?

Yes
25%
No
33%
No, but you're a retard anyway.
8%
You are the sexiest, most intelligent man alive.
33%

Total votes: 12

Cosmic Blur
All I really wanna is to feel nirvana

Some thoughts on the demo leaks...

Post by Cosmic Blur »

As we are all very aware of, there has been rather large controversy in the 311 online community over the demos leaking. I was just sitting here thinking, try to waste the rest of my afternoon at work and came up with a thought. So Nick and 311 management come out and say to please not trade the demos, blah, blah, the usual when something like this happens. My question is, where exactly are these demos coming from? 311 are recording in their own studio, not renting out a studio in a complex, that they own with very limited access for others. It seems to me that the 311 conglomerate, that is all of the support people it takes to make 311 possible, is a pretty tight knit group. So, with that much control over access to any material, how could it really get out? My point is this, there is a possibility, I would say, that they are leaked on purpose. I know that if I were in todays music industry and I had the amount of control that 311 seems to have over their material, I would know pretty easily exactly where any leaked music maybe coming from. I can understand the bands point that they don't want people hearing what is not perfected and such but, I am going to listen if it's out there because I enjoy hearing the progression. Also, I would be ecstatic if anyone gave the least bit of shit about my music but that's another story. Maybe I have it all wrong and someone else can shed a better light on this subject. 8)
The artist formerly known as Jimbone. New forum, new attitude.
Flowing
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Flowing »

hmmm have you ever thought about someone hacking into their stuff and gettin the demos?
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

my opinion has always been that they leaked on purpose because the band needs a way of finding out what the fans want..we all critique the demos and thats what they want..they need to know what to improve on...that way it makes a better album for us...ya get :wink:
Cosmic Blur
All I really wanna is to feel nirvana

Post by Cosmic Blur »

Flowing wrote:hmmm have you ever thought about someone hacking into their stuff and gettin the demos?
I thought of that, also. But, they record everything analog. No reason to just have it sitting on a computer somewhere that no one knows contains demos unless you're on the inside anyway. Also, if that's the leak, just simply unplug the modem. You don't really need internet access for a computer that is just being used for musical recording purposes especially if you're worried about security. 8)
The artist formerly known as Jimbone. New forum, new attitude.
strongallalong
Part clock and part man
Location: Right on that fine line between Genius and Insanity

Post by strongallalong »

They give them to a few people and then those people quote unquote "leak" them(Yes, I know I wrote quote unquote and used quotes, it is because I feel the expression adds emphasis to the point). On purpose? to a certain degree. Otherwise, how would we have any more than we had before the christmas/new year season?

Some people laughed or didn't believe fatlip when he first said he got them straight from Nick. I wonder now how many people would laugh.
ride the jont piece...

Post by Guest »

Zack Hexum told me that Nick's computer was hacked, and all the demos taken from it, along with various other shit.
Station
Ambassador of Style

Post by Station »

Element wrote:Zack Hexum told me that Nick's computer was hacked, and all the demos taken from it, along with various other shit.
hahaha, that's what nick would like you to think.
Benny Hays
The fish who keeps on swimming

Post by Benny Hays »

Cosmic Blur wrote:
Flowing wrote:hmmm have you ever thought about someone hacking into their stuff and gettin the demos?
I thought of that, also. But, they record everything analog. No reason to just have it sitting on a computer somewhere that no one knows contains demos unless you're on the inside anyway. Also, if that's the leak, just simply unplug the modem. You don't really need internet access for a computer that is just being used for musical recording purposes especially if you're worried about security. 8)
On the point of hacking, I would imagine that stuff on the computer that got "hacked", is just like we think it is. I am sure that the real full versions are safely recorded and saved in some form or another elsewhere. but honestly, who knows. I too have also had the sneaky suspiscion that they were leaked on purpose to promote interest, and to gain feedback. But on the feedback point I guess I have always thought of 311 to do there own thing regardless of anything people think, so feedback seems slightly pointless. So summed up I would like to say that while leaked on purpose, I think they did it to promote the album. But I am probably way off base, so feel free to ignore the entire post. Thanks, have a nice day. :D
311Chik
Taiyed Brodel

Post by 311Chik »

I would think if a band already had 1 set of demos leaked(bands fault or not) they would take extra precautions to make sure no more get leaked. So I think they were leaked on purpose because those guys can't be THAT dumb.

Post by Guest »

Maybe they got "Leaked" on purpose. It's happened before with other bands.
$ayzak
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $ayzak »

Nick was responsible for the first leak, he admitted that. I'm sure he got a lot of flak from his band mates and record company. So if he was responsible for them getting leaked again he'd probably want to cover his ass.

I think it's possible he leaked them on purpose. He knows only a few dozen people are going to obsess over the demos and that we he can decide which songs he definately does or doesn't want on the album.

Watch, I bet the ones that were leaked end up being the strongest and/or weakest song on the album, otherwise not even on it.
311Chik
Taiyed Brodel

Post by 311Chik »

I know Nick was responsible for the first leak, I was saying in general for that to happen to a band no matter who or how they got leaked I would think they would be more careful to make sure it didn't happen a second time.....4 months later.... :D
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

Station wrote:
Element wrote:Zack Hexum told me that Nick's computer was hacked, and all the demos taken from it, along with various other shit.
:lol:

Later
ImageImage
:evil5:
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

Jordan311 wrote:
Station wrote:
:lol:

Later
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:

Post by Guest »

The mysterious fatlip! ooo.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

haha fat lip is likea god now...your lucky man
Shiny