Need Legal Advice

A place to say what you want.
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Need Legal Advice

Post by bcolephases »

Just got a ticket for going almost 20 over. Should I hire a lawyer or just pay it? Don't want it going on my record or jacking up the $ of my insurance. It's my first speeding ticket, too.
$ayzak
Taiyed Brodel

Re: Need Legal Advice

Post by $ayzak »

Just pay it. It's not reckless driving, right? You could challenge it because chances are the cop who issued it won't want to deal with it again, but he might. And you'd probably have to take off work to go to court which would cost you that day.
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

No not reckless. It was a gd speed trap tho.
$ayzak
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $ayzak »

bcolephases wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:29 pm No not reckless. It was a gd speed trap tho.
How bad we talking? Was the cop camped out next to the first sign that indicated a speed limit change just off a freeway exit or something?
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

$ayzak wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:31 pm
bcolephases wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:29 pm No not reckless. It was a gd speed trap tho.
How bad we talking? Was the cop camped out next to the first sign that indicated a speed limit change just off a freeway exit or something?
Well, I was at a school way out in bfe today covering for somebody, ya know, tryin to be a nice guy. So I pull out of the parking lot at the end of the day but didn't see any flashing lights indicating it was a school zone but the lady who pulled me over (never saw her) on the main road right after I pulled out onto it said I was going 42 in a 25.

She tried to act like she was doing me a favor too by not doubling my fine for supposedly speeding in a school zone. I didn't thank her.
$ayzak
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $ayzak »

bcolephases wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:41 pm
Well, I was at a school way out in bfe today covering for somebody, ya know, tryin to be a nice guy. So I pull out of the parking lot at the end of the day but didn't see any flashing lights indicating it was a school zone but the lady who pulled me over (never saw her) on the main road right after I pulled out onto it said I was going 42 in a 25.

She tried to act like she was doing me a favor too by not doubling my fine for supposedly speeding in a school zone. I didn't thank her.
Were there any qualifications on the sign like "25 mph when lights flashing" or "25 mph when children present" or "25 mph between 3pm and 5pm mon-fri"? Or was it simply, "25 mph"?
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

$ayzak wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:44 pm
bcolephases wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:41 pm

Were there any qualifications on the sign like "25 mph when lights flashing" or "25 mph when children present" or "25 mph between 3pm and 5pm mon-fri"? Or was it simply, "25 mph"?
I wasn't really paying attention, but I know there weren't any flashing lights. I just figured, "country road, who's gonna notice?"
logosteel
Taiyed Brodel

Post by logosteel »

I'd double back to the road and check. I got fucked in VA on a bypass around richmond and the posted limit was 70 I was doing 81. In VA anything over 10 MPH posted is reckless driving.

End story I got banned from driving in VA for a year. Win for me as the wife had to drive to Myrtle Beach for the next year.

edit: I would also see if the points transfer to your state as in my case they did not. FUCK VA STATE POLICE
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

bcolephases wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:07 pm Just got a ticket for going almost 20 over. Should I hire a lawyer or just pay it? Don't want it going on my record or jacking up the $ of my insurance. It's my first speeding ticket, too.
Weigh your pros and cons. A lawyer will most likely cost more than the ticket, but the aggregate might be worth not having have your rates jacked up for 3 years and points going on your license. I'm a little biased since I am a lawyer, but I would recommend getting one. Normally they will just plead you down to something that won't put points on your license and will reduce the hit on your insurance or take it away entirely, especially since you're a first time offender.
:evil5: TB>BB
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

$lmjimy311 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:55 pm
bcolephases wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:07 pm Just got a ticket for going almost 20 over. Should I hire a lawyer or just pay it? Don't want it going on my record or jacking up the $ of my insurance. It's my first speeding ticket, too.
Weigh your pros and cons. A lawyer will most likely cost more than the ticket, but the aggregate might be worth not having have your rates jacked up for 3 years and points going on your license. I'm a little biased since I am a lawyer, but I would recommend getting one. Normally they will just plead you down to something that won't put points on your license and will reduce the hit on your insurance or take it away entirely, especially since you're a first time offender.
Thanks man. I appreciate the advice.
cantfademel
Cool as the blue water all around

Post by cantfademel »

Slow the hell down before you kill a kid you lunatic.
dj3stripes
Taiyed Brodel

Post by dj3stripes »

almost 20 over? pay it and slow the fuck down.
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

Whatever. Everybody speeds and of course I'm the one that gets fucked. Helluva way to spend $150.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

Are you young and black and your hat's real low?

Later
ImageImage
:evil5:
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

Jordan311 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:18 pm Are you young and black and your hat's real low?

Later
No, and you all are acting like I'm Sammy fuckin Hagar. Jfc.
dj3stripes
Taiyed Brodel

Post by dj3stripes »

actually, you're acting like a victim.
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

Went back to scene of crime. No "25 MPH" sign, just one that says "End School Zone" and a 20mph sign below, which is confusing again. And again, no flashing lights or speed gun sign. Its a conspiracy!
dj3stripes
Taiyed Brodel

Post by dj3stripes »

Go ahead and use the "everybody speeds" defense though.

Side note: Believe it or not, not everybody does. Also, you're in/near a school zone,so they're going to screw you as much as possible, likely to make an example of you.

I'd consult your state laws and find out if you pay it what will be on your record. I've heard stories of those that take it to court and lucking out because the cop didn't show up, but I have no experience in this as I've not had a speeding ticket since the 90s....
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Unless you were ticketed for speeding in a school zone, you're not gonna be made an example of. Based on your story, it seems as if they kind of let you off pretty easy with just a speeding ticket.
:evil5: TB>BB
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

dj3stripes wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:34 pm actually, you're acting like a victim.
It was a victimless "crime"!