Ello

A place to say what you want.
$ayzak
Taiyed Brodel

Ello

Post by $ayzak »

Does anyone have any invites? Are any of you interested in it? I've requested an invite from the site, but since they're getting over 35,000 requests an hour and people are selling them for hundreds of dollars on ebay, I know it will be a long time.
dj3stripes
Taiyed Brodel

Re: Ello

Post by dj3stripes »

just heard about this today, i'll hit you if I have any invites
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

I love that myspacetom's profile looks like myspace puked all over it.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

I'd like one as well please
:evil5: TB>BB
$ayzak
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $ayzak »

I take it I'm not the only one who is tired of Facebook's bullshit?
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

I think a lot of people are, but the "cost" to change is too high. Look at google+ for example. Functionally, I believe it to be much better than Facebook, but the switching costs are too high so instead, it flops.
$ayzak
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $ayzak »

$lmjimy311 wrote:I think a lot of people are, but the "cost" to change is too high. Look at google+ for example. Functionally, I believe it to be much better than Facebook, but the switching costs are too high so instead, it flops.
I permanently deleted my facebook account a couple months ago because I could no longer tolerate the fakeness of people. Once upon a time, a social network was a tool to avoid feeling that way. Facebook's demise won't be its competition, it will be it's own stifling environment. It's never been more clear that facebook has become like the government, once for the people, now shamelessly taking advantage of them. It's impossible for facebook to reverse course, and I don't see Mark Z making that consideration anyway.

Leaving facebook was just like graduating highschool in the sense that I already only keep up with the people who's phone numbers I have, and I don't miss the people I don't talk to. I feel embarassed for not leaving facebook sooner. But I did so without an alternative. If Ello works out, that's nice. If not, I don't care.

Fuck facebook is all I'm saying.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

I actually like the fake people. It makes going on there far more entertaining.

It's like Jersey Shore, but with people I know.
$ayzak
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $ayzak »

$lmjimy311 wrote:I actually like the fake people. It makes going on there far more entertaining.

It's like Jersey Shore, but with people I know.
Hahahaha. That's a pretty solid joke if you're considering standup.
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Shiny »

Everyone just seems to have signed up for Ello and left it alone. Which is pretty understandable considering it lacks most of the features people have come to expect after Facebook. Ello might've been a serious contender back in 2004-2005 for both FB and Myspace, but the site is only temporarily enjoyable for people who want to be regressive or are nostalgic for two minutes about the early days of social media.

I support the idea that a public migration to another, smaller social network was supposed to put the fear in FB's heart that their user base is subject to jump ship at any time if they doesn't support policy... but the functions of Ello are so primitive and unusable that I doubt FB took it seriously.

The one huge thing that FB has going for it though is that, if you've been using it even at least somewhat regularly since its public launch, it currently has about 10 years of your LIFE documented. FB profiles are reliable, massive shrines to your personality and social evolution, and it will be extremely hard to convince people to close the chapter on that and start from scratch on a new site. It matters too much to people, myself included. Switching back and forth between Myspace and Facebook during the early years was easy because both sites then contained less about you, and you were used to hopping to new sites every couple years. But again, Facebook now has your entire fucking life for the past decade. For most people who are serious about using social media, no one will sincerely stop using Facebook altogether and start primarily using another right now.

The only smaller market sites like Ello have are for those weird people in your life who have been avoiding FB altogether this entire time and are ready to give it a try, or people like Sayzak who deleted their profiles at some point recently for personal reasons and want to begin a new life on a site like Ello. And there are a few people who will probably continue to Ello for a while, like they did with Google+, posting shit to an audience of no one, and one day you are feeling nostalgic and log on Ello for the first time in a couple of years and you discover the insanity and wonder why in god's name that person has been posting content every week.

I feel like the only serious future contenders will have to figure out some loophole in FB's legal docs and will allow people to import their FB history to the new site, or at least figure out a way to merge the two together, maybe as some huge meta site. But what would that even be? More realistically, FB is here to stay. People will complain like they always have about redesigns, stricter rules, more ads, but they will keep using it. The only way it will die off is with younger generations never adopting it. But as far as you are concerned, Facebook has your life.
$ayzak
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $ayzak »

I still love social networking. But I hate what facebook has become. It's like a highschool reunion where everyone is trying to impress everyone else, and everyone stays in character. It's pathetic. I hate it. I can't even stand my own friends. Fuck em. I couldn't take it any more.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

Shiny wrote:Everyone just seems to have signed up for Ello and left it alone. Which is pretty understandable considering it lacks most of the features people have come to expect after Facebook. Ello might've been a serious contender back in 2004-2005 for both FB and Myspace, but the site is only temporarily enjoyable for people who want to be regressive or are nostalgic for two minutes about the early days of social media.

I support the idea that a public migration to another, smaller social network was supposed to put the fear in FB's heart that their user base is subject to jump ship at any time if they doesn't support policy... but the functions of Ello are so primitive and unusable that I doubt FB took it seriously.

The one huge thing that FB has going for it though is that, if you've been using it even at least somewhat regularly since its public launch, it currently has about 10 years of your LIFE documented. FB profiles are reliable, massive shrines to your personality and social evolution, and it will be extremely hard to convince people to close the chapter on that and start from scratch on a new site. It matters too much to people, myself included. Switching back and forth between Myspace and Facebook during the early years was easy because both sites then contained less about you, and you were used to hopping to new sites every couple years. But again, Facebook now has your entire fucking life for the past decade. For most people who are serious about using social media, no one will sincerely stop using Facebook altogether and start primarily using another right now.

The only smaller market sites like Ello have are for those weird people in your life who have been avoiding FB altogether this entire time and are ready to give it a try, or people like Sayzak who deleted their profiles at some point recently for personal reasons and want to begin a new life on a site like Ello. And there are a few people who will probably continue to Ello for a while, like they did with Google+, posting shit to an audience of no one, and one day you are feeling nostalgic and log on Ello for the first time in a couple of years and you discover the insanity and wonder why in god's name that person has been posting content every week.

I feel like the only serious future contenders will have to figure out some loophole in FB's legal docs and will allow people to import their FB history to the new site, or at least figure out a way to merge the two together, maybe as some huge meta site. But what would that even be? More realistically, FB is here to stay. People will complain like they always have about redesigns, stricter rules, more ads, but they will keep using it. The only way it will die off is with younger generations never adopting it. But as far as you are concerned, Facebook has your life.
+1
ImageImage
:evil5:
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Shiny wrote:Everyone just seems to have signed up for Ello and left it alone. Which is pretty understandable considering it lacks most of the features people have come to expect after Facebook. Ello might've been a serious contender back in 2004-2005 for both FB and Myspace, but the site is only temporarily enjoyable for people who want to be regressive or are nostalgic for two minutes about the early days of social media.

This is right.

I tried out ello, none of my friends IRL have it, so I stopped using it and forgot about it.