Re: Now vs. Then

A place to say what you want.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

$ayzak wrote: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:06 pm My life is mostly boring. It's like the tv show LOST. Weird new people inexplicably come and go from my life. Some weird shit happens, then nothing for a long time while I ponder the significance and meaning of the weird shit that happened, finding none of course.
I just spent the last 2 days at work browsing through 10+ years of posts on this forum, and this quote just hit me like a ton of bricks.

Swayzack, you're a legend.

Later
ImageImage
:evil5:
$nipe
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $nipe »

Image :evil5:
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

$lmjimy311 wrote: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:30 am You didn't like the last album? I loved it. Still play video games though not as much as I'd like to.

I have a backlog of dozens of games I need to beat. Goal is to finish them all during my last year of school.
That backlog only grew
:evil5: TB>BB
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

30 now. A few steps away from Senior Associate at the firm I started in after law school. Started working on bigger deals, have more responsibility, less oversight, good money, still in Atlanta...life is good.

Cut down a few games on that backlog finally.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

$lmjimy311 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:34 am 30 now. A few steps away from Senior Associate at the firm I started in after law school. Started working on bigger deals, have more responsibility, less oversight, good money, still in Atlanta...life is good.

how much you makin' a year big dog?

Later
ImageImage
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Jordan311 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:58 pm
$lmjimy311 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:34 am 30 now. A few steps away from Senior Associate at the firm I started in after law school. Started working on bigger deals, have more responsibility, less oversight, good money, still in Atlanta...life is good.

Later
I do well for myself. Still not on your level, but it’s getting there. Should be getting profit sharing soon.
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

Still poor as shit but at least I'm alive. Got a new guitar though.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

$lmjimy311 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:31 pm
Jordan311 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:58 pm

Later
I do well for myself. Still not on your level, but it’s getting there. Should be getting profit sharing soon.

haha i don't think I make that much. when I was at logmein I was pulling in 100k+/yr but not quite as much these days.

Later
ImageImage
GOAT
Taiyed Brodel

Post by GOAT »

I made 36,000 in 2018... sooo yeah. I just took a new position in the company, so I bumped up from an hourly job to a salary plus commission/production. If I do well I'll make 50k this year.

Should have gone to college
Music's what i need to keep my sanity

Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

GOAT wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:47 pm I made 36,000 in 2018... sooo yeah. I just took a new position in the company, so I bumped up from an hourly job to a salary plus commission/production. If I do well I'll make 50k this year.

i never went to college. waste of money.

Later
ImageImage
GOAT
Taiyed Brodel

Post by GOAT »

Jordan311 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:57 pm
GOAT wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:47 pm I made 36,000 in 2018... sooo yeah. I just took a new position in the company, so I bumped up from an hourly job to a salary plus commission/production. If I do well I'll make 50k this year.

i never went to college. waste of money.

Later
You're probably right. I'd still be paying off student loans right now. I can say that I am very happy and extremely comfortable with my job and life situation so that's a plus.
Music's what i need to keep my sanity

Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

cost of living is wayyyyyy higher where I'm living right now too, so even if I make more, that doesn't necessarily mean it's all rainbows and sunshine. I live comfortably, but there's no way I'm buying a house in Sydney. a shitty house in the suburbs around Sydney is like 1 million+

Plan is to move up to Brisbane when it's time to buy a home and have a family and all that jazz. Can get a huge 3 or 4 bedroom house with a big yard and a pool for like 500k there.

Later
ImageImage
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

College was 100% worth it. I just paid off my loans last month. I was on scholarship for grad school so that really helped. I'm making over the 100K mark at this point, but in terms of my potential here, once profit sharing kicks in, I'll be sitting comfortably around 40 to 50K more, to start and that will continue to increase. By the time I make partner in about 7-8 years, I should be clearing about 250K easily with a ceiling of around 500K. That obviously won't include the hotel investment opportunities I get due to the connections through work. College, business school, law school...100% worth it.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

If you're happy then does it really matter? I do well for myself, but I also work 70ish hours a week and want to kill myself on most days. For what I do and how much I work, I am severely underpaid in my base salary.
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

Mo money, Mo problems.
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

They're moving me up to fry cook soon if I'm lucky. My goal is to move up to assistant to the assistant manager by the time I'm 40. I'm also going to use my masters degree certificate to stoke a fire. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Eh, mo money solved a lot of my problems.

What did you get your masters degree in? College education can be a waste if you don't actually get an education that's worth something. I have no qualms with people getting liberal arts degrees, but just know that it may not be something that will lead to a lucrative career. Set your expectations. Maybe pair that with another degree that actually might be useful. I started with a political science degree, knowing I was going to go into law. As a fall back, I opted to also get an economics degree. Obviously those degrees on their own don't hold but so much weight, which is why I planned on having a JD and also getting an MBA (both of which I got). I also busted my ass to make sure I was given a scholarship so that loans wouldn't weigh me down. You play the game smart and you'll play it well. You get a master's degree and build up debt that your master's degree can't pay off, then that's on you. Yeah the financing terms are unfair and bullshit, but you knew that going in and if you didn't know it, that's on you.
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

You're totally right. My undergrad is in English Literature. I didn't know what I wanted to do at first. All I knew was I wanted a college degree because I thoughtnit would make me feel better about myself. Later I decided I wanted to try teaching English, so that's what my masters is in. Now I don't even know if I want to do that after substituting 2 years. Kids can be brutal. If that's what I decide to not do, I've pretty much fucked myself with a 20k student loan. And all those feelings of accomplishment really didn't last long and you're back at square one.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

Yikes. Teaching is a profession that deserves way more money than they get. The importance of teachers combined with how assholey students are, especially in this day and age, it makes no sense they get paid what they do. Be glad it is only 20K. Mine was much more than that. Fucking 7% rates too. It's bullshit. The entire student loan system needs a revamp.
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

Yeah, it definitely could be worse. Thankfully I got through the first time with no debt. The masters would've been worse had I not paid for some of it out of pocket working shitty jobs. But I'm not bitter. I almost thought about quitting halfway through grad school but I'm not a quitter and I pushed myself to complete it, for better or worse.