Why TB is mostly dead

A place to say what you want.
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Why TB is mostly dead

Post by Smoke »

#1. 80%, I'm being nice probably more like 90%, of you are douche bags and mostly unlikable (at least how you portray yourself here)
#2. You're extremely critical of outsiders and very much unwelcoming. Unless of course they're women, then you act like a bunch of virigins who've never been laid or talked to a women before.
#3. Your sigs. Just saying your sigs fucking suck and are annoying. No one like sigs, unless you're a 13year old on the internet or trying to annoy people. (that's why mines laughing, it's laughing at you)
#4. It's a 311 forum, 311 is often known of their acceptance of people and general awesomeness towards others. See #1 &2.
#5. It's a 311 forum and many of you are overly critical of the band. It's been said before that this is where 311 fans come to die.
#6. On the internet, no one knows you're trying to be funny. Most of you aren't even when people know you're trying. So you just come off as a dick.
dj3stripes
Taiyed Brodel

Re: Why TB is mostly dead

Post by dj3stripes »

#1. This is a direct correlation to #6. Don't get butthurt. I get shit on quite a bit but still keep coming back
#2. I totally agree but gave up trying to change it, though I don't think the female part of your point has come up in a while
#3. Also agree, but you can disable them in your user profile
#4. The official 311 forum has many more assholes on there than there are here, but it's easier to run into them here
#5. Similar point as #4, but more ass kissing towards the band on the 311.com forum
#6. Get used to it, the internet has trended this way for over a decade now. Think back to the last time you read/posted on a forum where there wasn't sarcasm. Also realize there is a wide range of age regarding the users

You forgot a few more points

#7. No new demos to spread around
#8. Facebook has allowed many of us to stay in touch with those we can tolerate the most

best advice is come to terms with it, it isn't going to change. Hell we were all different back in the hay days, some have come and gone and come back again, not a huge deal.
Alexnova
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Alexnova »

I think most folks have just "grown" out of it, or really we have become different people.

I was looking back at a few posts I made back in the day and I just shake my head. I'm a completely different person now than when I started posting here. Of course people are going to shit on new folks, this is pretty much a clique after all. I think people gave Hizzy a hard time when he first started but then got accepted over time.

Maybe some of it is the lack of enthusiasm in what 311 does these days. Whatever the band has done post-DTOM I haven't really followed. I still haven't listened to Uplifter or Universal Pulse. I really have no interest in them, my tastes have changed.

But people have moved on to do other things, or the bulk of one's life has increased to where we don't have the time to post here. I know for me it has and just recently I'm able to post more than I did maybe a year ago.

EDIT: Hmm after further review, I think Smoke might be joking.
:evil5:
Tehshewz
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Tehshewz »

Smoke wrote:#1. 80%, I'm being nice probably more like 90%, of you are douche bags and mostly unlikable (at least how you portray yourself here)
#2. You're extremely critical of outsiders and very much unwelcoming. Unless of course they're women, then you act like a bunch of virigins who've never been laid or talked to a women before.
#3. Your sigs. Just saying your sigs fucking suck and are annoying. No one like sigs, unless you're a 13year old on the internet or trying to annoy people. (that's why mines laughing, it's laughing at you)
#4. It's a 311 forum, 311 is often known of their acceptance of people and general awesomeness towards others. See #1 &2.
#5. It's a 311 forum and many of you are overly critical of the band. It's been said before that this is where 311 fans come to die.
#6. On the internet, no one knows you're trying to be funny. Most of you aren't even when people know you're trying. So you just come off as a dick.
1: I have an internet personality. Ask Fatlip, I bet he didn't expect me to be a nice person. I had a feeling that he would actually throw me off the boat the first time i met him on the cruise tbh
2: There are no girls on the internet.
3: Just click it.
4: No, just no......
5: Fans are allowed to be critical.
6: Im not funny.

I give you 5/10 for my reply.
This is just troll bait anyway.
Someone please lock this thread.
8/24/05, 6/30/09, 11/21/09,7/10/2010,7/13/2010,10/20/2010,10/21/2010,
**311 Cruise 2011**, 7/31/2012, 8/4/2012, 07/10/2013
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

I'm on plenty of forums were people are mostly respectful to each other and new folks.
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Element »

smoke, didn't i tell you to fuck off after like your first post?
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

i don't care about anything on here.

except the signature thing.. and that's only because out of everyone's signatures, yours is the ONLY one that really pisses me off because it's not funny.. just annoying.
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

fatlip wrote:i don't care about anything on here.

except the signature thing.. and that's only because out of everyone's signatures, yours is the ONLY one that really pisses me off because it's not funny.. just annoying.
really mine is worse than others? Like theshoes and Jordans?
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Shiny »

shut up smoke who cares

the only thing negative and abrasive is this dumb post that came from outta nowhere!

ya jerk
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

If it helps, Shiny, you're my favorite poster :-)
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

Smoke wrote:
fatlip wrote:i don't care about anything on here.

really mine is worse than others? Like theshoes and Jordans?

yes.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

guys. message boards in general aren't really thriving things on the internet anymore. Not as much as they used to be. More people are going towards social media. Sure there are plenty of huge message boards left, but I don't think as a whole many people are joining them anymore - especially younger people. When we were teens, boards were the coolest shit. Now they're not so much.

Just saying.

Later
ImageImage
Smoke
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Smoke »

I don't think you know what you're talking about
$ayzak
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $ayzak »

My theory is that... people who became fans of 311 in their best years now have children of their own now who listen to Justin Beiber.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

im on two other forums that are doing fine, the main reason for that is because they actually have discussions and there are enough posters that there are a diverse enough amount of opinions so that a proper discussion could be had.

hell we used to discuss each episode of tv shows, things going on in the news, etc..., now we don't even bring them up.

hell, i still love this place though and i'll keep checking it and posting on it every once in a while as long as it is here.

hopefully if this place ever goes down, ska gets a facebook profile again though.
:evil5: TB>BB
$ayzak
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $ayzak »

To be perfectly honest, I have had a lot of bad experiences with 311 fans both on the internet and at shows. I've never been around a group of people who are so elitist, and possessive of their fandom. I'm only saying this in general, not as a confirmation of the reason this particular community is dead (I actually disagree with your reason, which I will elaborate on later).

I was threatened at my very first 311 show by some big meat head with Nick-style spiky hair who didn't take kindly to the fact that I was sitting in his seat (in a mostly vacated section of the arena). I politely got up and moved, and apologized for being in his spot, but he gave me the angriest, most absolute intolerant look and muttered that we might "have problems" if I come back. The dude was a good 6 inches taller and 100 lbs heavier, so he was clearly exercising his reflexive desire to feel superior, because there was zero reason to drop that last line of goofy bullshit.

Of all the communities I've ever been a part of on the internet, none have been more deliberately hostile than that of the BB. I've spent some time on other bulletin boards dedicated to bands with a less accepting overall message, and their fans have universally been more accepting. Completely without fail.

The truth is, in my opinion, that 311 hasn't made new fans with their old message. When people heard Down they gravitated toward the albums of that time frame (Music - Transistor). Many 311 fans at the time brought their friends into the loop, and 311's fan-base swelled and leveled off at a healthy, just-under-mainstream level. That's where the bulk of 311's fans came from, and they didn't see a new wave of fans until Amber was released.

The band anticipated this, and tried to capitalize on it by literally educating their new fans on why they're supposed to be 311 fans. Some new fans went back and discovered the whole catalog, proclaiming themselves to be "old school" in spirit. But this was as close as the band would ever get to rebuilding its fan-base. From there it's been steadily declining, not just because their "sound" is old, but because 311's music has been uninspired and painfully predictable ever since. That right there results in "old school" 311 fans being too embarrassed to introduce new fans to 311's music. I myself have had to begin with qualifiers, excuses, and content warnings for years because I needed those that I was showing 311 off to to understand that it wasn't the 'new' music that brought me in, and that I do not expect their newer music to draw them in either. How else was I supposed to get people to listen to 311 with an open mind? In any case, as a 311 fan I still had an ace in the hole by introducing people to 311's live show. That worked for a good decade after 311's music hit a ceiling, but over the last few years their live show has degraded significantly as well. They're old, tired, and "too mature" for their old music. What's left? Balding, arthritic forty-something year olds, gasping on stage, playing cheesy pop-riffs that no one likes and that have no chance of getting played on the radio. Where are the new fans coming from? They're not. There aren't any. That's why this place is dead.
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

well said.

i'd like to refer you to my post: http://taiyedbrodels.com/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=17068" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

I think TB is dead because Swayzak left.
:evil5: TB>BB
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

through maturity, message boards and music become less interesting
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
Alexnova
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Alexnova »

Why music?