i just got accepted into law school!

A place to say what you want.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Re: i just got accepted into law school!

Post by $lmjimy311 »

he also went to northern illinois law school...its a tier 4 law school (there are only 4 tiers, 1 being the highest and 4 being the lowest for those that arent aware) and it was one that when i asked a friend about the university in general, i was told its only one step above community college. no offense to your friend, but thats not really surprising. like i said if you're not in a tier 1 or 2, its kind of pointless. i understand the risk i take by going into law school and i've known that risk since i was in high school and decided to pursue that career. i also understand that knowing people is half the battle... fortunately thanks to internship and networking that i've been working on for a while, that hopefully won't be an issue.
:evil5: TB>BB
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

ska wrote:Are you sure you don't want to sell bedroom furniture instead of lawyer'ing?
haha yea, worst case though i can always go back to plunging toilets
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

$lmjimy311 wrote: haha yea, worst case though i can always go back to plunging toilets

+1

Later
ImageImage
:evil5:
EvenField2BeOn
Shades of gold displayed naturally

Post by EvenField2BeOn »

This is the time to save as much as possible cut down on all spending. Most universities degrees will be worthless in a couple years after the economic collapse do you realize that we are living on borrowed time? The 2008 crisis was stopped in its tracks by massive stimulus worldwide with injections of capital by central banks. Once this crack up boom ends within the next 6-12 months we are in for much worse times then 2008. If I were you I would start buying oil futures, commodities and getting ready for the shit to hit the fan. You can call me a lunatic fringe but I have been researching this for years and have been trading since 2002. The middle east is beginning to fall like dominos Oil is already back up to 108 and soon it will be 150$ and then we will be in midst of mass firing once again. Don't spend unnecessarily on anything other than something practical that can be of use in the case of 1937 scenario. This is my genuine opinion you can disregard it but think about the signs in the news the US is printing 75 billion a month just to keep the government running it can only last for so long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRvjufH29vE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You should save every penny you have and prepare for the shit to hit the fan. We're propping up this country’s economy on 75billion per month of printed money with absolutely nothing to back it up. The multi-stage implosion of much of the developed world is upon us. A rush to hard assests is currently occurring, land, commodities, farming etc. you will be wiping your ass with dollar bills in a couple years. A huge portion of the white collar jobs will be cut outsourced and we will descend into a third world chaotic existence. Not trying to be negative, but I have been researching this for years I have two degree's I’m not an idiot. If you read the news around the world. This decade is going to resemble (1930-1939). You should take out that law school money and go buy some land instead. Just my two cents you can call me a loon but I've been watching this stuff since 2007-2008 and the lies & deception have become way to obvious to pull off any long. Right now the Middle East is in shambles once Saudi starts to fall oil will go to 150-200 a barrel and utterly gut whats left of the US economy, as if it already isn't. Have fun while you can because it's going to get pretty shitty and real soon.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

EvenField2BeOn wrote:This is the time to save as much as possible cut down on all spending. Most universities degrees will be worthless in a couple years after the economic collapse do you realize that we are living on borrowed time? The 2008 crisis was stopped in its tracks by massive stimulus worldwide with injections of capital by central banks. Once this crack up boom ends within the next 6-12 months we are in for much worse times then 2008. If I were you I would start buying oil futures, commodities and getting ready for the shit to hit the fan. You can call me a lunatic fringe but I have been researching this for years and have been trading since 2002. The middle east is beginning to fall like dominos Oil is already back up to 108 and soon it will be 150$ and then we will be in midst of mass firing once again. Don't spend unnecessarily on anything other than something practical that can be of use in the case of 1937 scenario. This is my genuine opinion you can disregard it but think about the signs in the news the US is printing 75 billion a month just to keep the government running it can only last for so long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRvjufH29vE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You should save every penny you have and prepare for the shit to hit the fan. We're propping up this country’s economy on 75billion per month of printed money with absolutely nothing to back it up. The multi-stage implosion of much of the developed world is upon us. A rush to hard assests is currently occurring, land, commodities, farming etc. you will be wiping your ass with dollar bills in a couple years. A huge portion of the white collar jobs will be cut outsourced and we will descend into a third world chaotic existence. Not trying to be negative, but I have been researching this for years I have two degree's I’m not an idiot. If you read the news around the world. This decade is going to resemble (1930-1939). You should take out that law school money and go buy some land instead. Just my two cents you can call me a loon but I've been watching this stuff since 2007-2008 and the lies & deception have become way to obvious to pull off any long. Right now the Middle East is in shambles once Saudi starts to fall oil will go to 150-200 a barrel and utterly gut whats left of the US economy, as if it already isn't. Have fun while you can because it's going to get pretty shitty and real soon.
i have a degree in econ and political science, im aware of our economic state. there is no money to put away, im paying through law school on loans and scholarships. and i really think you're over reacting. our economy might struggle and hiccup like it did after the whole housing bubble burst during the last decade, but we wont be in a state of "third world chaotic existence" i can assure you that. we'll see what happens though in the coming year.
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel
Location: Birmingham, Al - currently residing in Birmingham, AL

Post by KyleRayner »

lol at random dude on 311 forum who has " been trading since 2002" and "researching for years" telling us about impending utter collapse of US. everybody knows things are shitty, but the oil crisis would only force us to find better and more sustainable forms of energy. sure things would get shitty, and those times are not when its good to have as little education as possible to save your money, which you just said would now be worthless. explain to me how if the US economy collapses it is good to have lots of money stored. and if you are advocating buying tons of other currency you are a terrorist only making the problem worse

also, if the collapse was so imminent, the chinese and indians wouldn't still be sending their best and brightest to study at american schools.
I Want to Believe :evil5:
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

KyleRayner wrote:lol at random dude on 311 forum who has " been trading since 2002" and "researching for years" telling us about impending utter collapse of US. everybody knows things are shitty, but the oil crisis would only force us to find better and more sustainable forms of energy. sure things would get shitty, and those times are not when its good to have as little education as possible to save your money, which you just said would now be worthless. explain to me how if the US economy collapses it is good to have lots of money stored. and if you are advocating buying tons of other currency you are a terrorist only making the problem worse

also, if the collapse was so imminent, the chinese and indians wouldn't still be sending their best and brightest to study at american schools.
agreed, its simple economics. we always find an alternative. and i also don't see how having as little education as possible will help you. the reason i ended up getting two degrees in undergrad and am going for my jd mba is to make it so that ill actually stand out a little from my peers and can actually get a job. being uneducated formally and reading a bunch of internet articles is not whats going to get you a good paying job...even in the best of times
EvenField2BeOn

Post by EvenField2BeOn »

Hey hey hey I was on this board way back when it was 311heaven I just hardly ever posted. I've been to 30-40 311 shows and was really into them for a long time so I'm not so much a stranger/troll as it may seem. I didn't say having as little education of possible is good. I have a BS degree in Marketing. I have five years experience in marketing. Just, in my humble opinion with the prices of Uni now days that you'd be better off using the money for something else as opposed to being in debt for thirty years.

There are plenty of people from schools like the University of Illinois Champaign-Urbana, Purdue and other very good schools that cannot find anything, and if they do it's very low entry level low 30s. If the work situation is going to stay like that into the future and it's the new normal (which so far it appears to be) the calculation of the price of investing in grad degree's etc. becomes a moot point.

When I started University it was 10k a year with room and board back in 99' and now its 20k a year and that's for a cheap undergrad education. When prices get to that point for state schools the cost benefit analysis comes into effect big time. Recently, I have read many articles in the New York Times, US News and World report about the difficulty of grads from top tier jobs finding decent jobs and being indebted and having to have their parents pay off their debt why they go make 12-14 bucks an hour. Don't try to dodge the economy with grad school.

Is Law School a Losing Game?
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/busin ... .html?_r=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5 Reasons not to get a law degree CBS
http://moneywatch.bnet.com/saving-money ... gree/4113/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And also the "Friend" I had that went to Northern Illinois had a grad degree from DePaul and Undergrad from Boston College so she is not a retard because she went to a school within driving distance to her home. My old man has an MBA from University of Wisconsin at Madison and got laid off after 20 years of corporate work and is hasn't had found anything decent in a year.

Not trying to be a downer but from what I have seen since finishing undergrad in 2004 this is my changed opinion. I feel that unless you are going to go to some Ivy League school or top 20 school having additional degree's does not have as much value as the twisted stats that these Grad schools pump out say. A lot of the data about 97% employment and six figure salaries are many times BS marketing from the school (It's a business). You were openly debating law school on an internet forum so its fair game for debate isn't it?
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

God damn you are a fag
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
EvenField2BeOn

Post by EvenField2BeOn »

can i blast your ass then? If I am a fag then what is the Mr. Assblaster?
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

its not about your friend being smart or not, if you goto a crappy law school you cant expect but so much. the legal field is risky just like any other position and like i mentioned earlier getting a job really depends on who you know. both internships i got was through someone i knew and thats why i've been networking for the past few years. people will struggle to get jobs in every profession, its how you carry yourself and who you know and at the end of the day im not gonna let a bunch of numbers prevent me from accomplishing my dream. also my intent in this thread wasnt to debate anything, it was to let me friends on this forum know about whats going on with my life.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

EvenField2BeOn wrote:I was on this board way back when it was 311heaven I just hardly ever posted

I swear to god I see someone say that at least once a week here..

Later
ImageImage
311Baybee
Taiyed Brodel

Post by 311Baybee »

slmjimy congrats!!!! thats great news. i wish you the best. and holy crap you applied to what, 20 schools??? the application fees on that must have been a small fortune! i almost spent 1000 on app fees and i applied to 6 grad schools. DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is insane!!!!
:evil5: :smurfin: er.
KyleRayner wrote:bad things in moderation are very very good
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

311Baybee wrote:slmjimy congrats!!!! thats great news. i wish you the best. and holy crap you applied to what, 20 schools??? the application fees on that must have been a small fortune! i almost spent 1000 on app fees and i applied to 6 grad schools. DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is insane!!!!

thanks! i got lucky that law school apps aren't but so expensive. it was about 52-82 for most of the apps and some of them were free because of my score so i got pretty lucky, it totaled to about a grand as well.
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel

Post by KyleRayner »

got into vanderbilt today 8)
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

congrats man, thats fucking awesome
Alexnova
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Alexnova »

Congratulations jimy, internet won't let me express happiness well so these icons will have to do: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf:
EvenField2BeOn wrote:Image
Damnit Kyoon.
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel

Post by KyleRayner »

$lmjimy311 wrote:congrats man, thats fucking awesome
thank you kind sir, i was pretty stoked. just their MBA program though, didn't get into the law school yet and probably won't.
$lmjimy311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $lmjimy311 »

KyleRayner wrote:
$lmjimy311 wrote:congrats man, thats fucking awesome
thank you kind sir, i was pretty stoked. just their MBA program though, didn't get into the law school yet and probably won't.

to speaking of mba, im not sure if i mentioned it on here earlier or not, but im trying to get my mba as well...what can you tell me about the gmat, i'm totally clueless on it. is it worth taking a class? i heard its pretty easy if you did well on your lsat then you can kill the gmat. is there any truth to that statement? any tips or advice?
KyleRayner
Taiyed Brodel

Post by KyleRayner »

i got a 710 on the gmat pretty easily. then i tried to transfer that to the LSAT and fucked it up big time. if you did well on the LSAT, you will do GREAT on the gmat if you have math skills. my problem was I figured that since I was smart I could do well on the LSAT without really studying as well but that just isn't the case. the logic games section fucked me up the ass and didn't even have the decency for a reach around. i studied for about a week before the gmat, and just didnt study for the lsat. big mistake. the verbal part of the gmat is basically the exact same as the LSAT but easier. the math is pretty basic but if your undergrad wasn't math based definitely study for that, and you'll do fine.