See the good in everybody

Re: religion 2

Post by John Michael »

who in here is a worthless stoner?
Vibe Merchant
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Vibe Merchant »

You want to start a debate or are you just asking?
the only thing true, we gotta love each other. try to keep a positive vibe.
they make it tough for ya. you're cut off and lonely while you hustle for dough.
we can overcome the wrongs while we're reachin' the point.
stick together all forever. now continue to flow
coast2coast
Electrified by the sound

Post by coast2coast »

I do. That's as far as I'll go with this. Religion topics on internet forums are beyond pointless. The topic is way too heavy and most of the time it's a few people that do believe taking shots from the majority of the board who just to want to ridicule the few rather that discuss anything.
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Element »

brainwash wa wawawawaiiiiiiiipe out
Vibe Merchant
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Vibe Merchant »

coast2coast wrote:I do. That's as far as I'll go with this. Religion topics on internet forums are beyond pointless. The topic is way too heavy and most of the time it's a few people that do believe taking shots from the majority of the board who just to want to ridicule the few rather that discuss anything.
Well it is difficult to argue logic with someone who is going to accept something illogical. Because you hold everything Jesus supposedly did up as complete truth and the best standard, that any criticism almost goes completely against your whole way of life. Of someone you never met, you take all criticism personal.
If you call Darwin a racist or some shit, then I'll do some research and let you know if I agree. But if you call Jesus a made up character or something else, you either try to disprove with no logical evidence or just leave the debate.
If you get in a debate with an asshole atheist or anyone, then I agree not wanting to debate with that person though. I disagree that is beyond pointless because that ignoring of debate and critical thinking is exactly why MANY religions are able to succeed without any feasible evidence of truth.
they make it tough for ya. you're cut off and lonely while you hustle for dough.
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Element »

awesome richard dawkins quote:

"the god of the old testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."

could never have said it better myself
$nipe
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $nipe »

I do.
Image :evil5:
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

Jesus was a real person regardless of whether you believe he was the son of god.

So that's like saying "who here believes in Albert Einstein?"

Later
ImageImage
:evil5:
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Element »

actually the earliest account we have of jesus was written in 52 AD, and the only thing it said is "jesus suffered greatly at the hands of pontius pilot" there is NO writings of jesus during his life. you'd think if the son of god was walking on water and changing it into wine and such, people would write about it.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

Element wrote:actually the earliest account we have of jesus was written in 52 AD, and the only thing it said is "jesus suffered greatly at the hands of pontius pilot" there is NO writings of jesus during his life. you'd think if the son of god was walking on water and changing it into wine and such, people would write about it.

Luke, re-read my post.

Later
ImageImage
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Element »

i know a dude named jesus, so fucking what?
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

ask a pointless question, get a pointless answer.

Later
ImageImage
$nipe
Taiyed Brodel

Post by $nipe »

I think the question of "believing in Jesus" is more like salvation through Jesus and all that concept, isn't it?
Image :evil5:
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Element »

yeah, i didn't feel the need to explain that to jordan
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

If you believe in God, you are by default beneath anyone who doesn't believe.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
coast2coast
Electrified by the sound

Post by coast2coast »

Vibe Merchant wrote:
coast2coast wrote:I do. That's as far as I'll go with this. Religion topics on internet forums are beyond pointless. The topic is way too heavy and most of the time it's a few people that do believe taking shots from the majority of the board who just to want to ridicule the few rather that discuss anything.
Well it is difficult to argue logic with someone who is going to accept something illogical. Because you hold everything Jesus supposedly did up as complete truth and the best standard, that any criticism almost goes completely against your whole way of life. Of someone you never met, you take all criticism personal.
If you call Darwin a racist or some shit, then I'll do some research and let you know if I agree. But if you call Jesus a made up character or something else, you either try to disprove with no logical evidence or just leave the debate.
If you get in a debate with an asshole atheist or anyone, then I agree not wanting to debate with that person though. I disagree that is beyond pointless because that ignoring of debate and critical thinking is exactly why MANY religions are able to succeed without any feasible evidence of truth.
This is my point exactly. You call it illogical while others call it faith. You ask to prove the existence of God is asking others to go against their faith. Round and round we go. I'm all for debate but just take a look at the other religion thread. That wasn't debate, it was all of Taiyed Brodels bashing religion. Where is the tolerance? Sorry but it has to go both ways. Just let people live their lives and you will be just fine. I love your last sentence. I am sure the seed to end all religion will be planted on a 311 message board. Don't take yourself so seriously man.
coast2coast
Electrified by the sound

Post by coast2coast »

Sorry for the double post but just take a look at all the post in this thread. Pretty much proves the point of my first comment doesn't it.
Vibe Merchant
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Vibe Merchant »

Jordan311 wrote:Jesus was a real person regardless of whether you believe he was the son of god.

So that's like saying "who here believes in Albert Einstein?"

Later
I have to disagree with you. Leaving out the son of god part, Luke is pretty right. There just is no first hand accounts of anyone named Jesus in that area and time. The Albert Einstein analogy doesn't go far because we have physical writings from the man, photographs, film and audio. I am not saying that is exactly what you need to say someone existed. But, by going off the things we have that talk of a Jesus and claim of his existence, we could say Hercules was real with the same kind of evidence. It just isn't that trustworthy.
Vibe Merchant
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Vibe Merchant »

coast2coast wrote:This is my point exactly. You call it illogical while others call it faith. You ask to prove the existence of God is asking others to go against their faith. Round and round we go. I'm all for debate but just take a look at the other religion thread. That wasn't debate, it was all of Taiyed Brodels bashing religion. Where is the tolerance? Sorry but it has to go both ways. Just let people live their lives and you will be just fine. I love your last sentence. I am sure the seed to end all religion will be planted on a 311 message board. Don't take yourself so seriously man.
Wow, seems like you did take it personal. I have actually used almost that exact quote in defense of having these types of debates when people get to high strung about the thread. I don't see anything I posted as taking my self too serious and wanting to start the atheist/agnostic revolution here. Kind of a jackass way of saying you don't want to talk about it. I guess you could kind of see where it sounds somewhat serious with the whole "ignoring of debate and critical thinking" thing, but I didn't expect it to some kind of epiphany or anything.
You can take this as me taking myself too serious though. Religion influenced governments is something I take very serious in a country that is supposed to not involve its self in. You can't say "just let people live their lives" because certain religious denominations have found their way into government and have manipulated it to the point where people can't "just live their lives". They can't buy alcohol on Sunday or they have to go fight a holy war in Iraq.

Not getting mad, just having a discussion though. I would like to hear your thoughts. I have been on some boards that have pretty good religious debates that don't turn extremely bad. It's fine if you would rather not. Doesn't really matter. I really hope you don't find any of this hostile. Not my intention what so ever.